Maturi Not Happy...

LesBolstad

Reaction score
A little birdy told me Maturi is about as steamed as he gets over the Fisch hiring. He was against the Dunbar hiring and had warned Brew that he better get this one right.

Looks like he did not.

The question is whether our offensive coaching staff can teach football.

Nobody wins games on the chalkboard in college football. You have to make football players first.

I've seen so much that makes me scratch my head--little red lights going off all over the place.

Here are two little red lights:

1) Two weeks ago we used a trips formation in which we split out an offensive tackle. So Stommes is out there in the Y position and we try to run a little quick screen out of it. The predictable result is that Stommes never gets out of his stance and the defensive player runs right past him and tackles our guy for a loss.

Here's the thing: putting in that dumb little package takes a lot of time in practice. There are about 100 things they need to be working on--like, um, how to block--and instead Matt Stommes is learning how to line up in the slot--whether he needs to be on the line of scrimmage, how he can release, what technique to use depending on whether the defense also split a lineman. This is half an hour of practice minimum, and requires the attention of three players and a coach. So they install it...get owned on it...and never use it again. Genius. WTF is this all about?

2) Two weeks ago Stoudamire lets a kickoff bounce from the five yard line into the end zone. He never blinks at it and runs off the field. HELLO. That's a live ball. Fortunately the ref blew it dead immediately. But the fact that he never hesitated in his reaction tells me he was never coached on this. His reaction to the ball hitting the five yard line should be automatic. He shouldn't even think about it: he just downs it. But instead...

Weber makes Fisch look bad...hopefully Gray can change that.......

on #2....if the ball hits the end zone's colored paint the play is blown dead and it's a touch back.

Weber makes Fisch look bad...hopefully Gray can change that.......

Maybe you should try the converse of that statement?

2008 All-Big Ten Conference Football Team
As selected by CONFERENCE COACHES

FIRST TEAM OFFENSE SECOND TEAM
Daryll Clark, Penn State Quarterback Adam Weber, Minnesota
Shonn Greene, Iowa Running Back Chris "Beanie" Wells, Ohio State
Javon Ringer, Michigan State Running Back Evan Royster, Penn State
Eric Decker, Minnesota Receiver Arrelious Benn, Illinois
Derrick Williams, Penn State Receiver David Gilreath, Wisconsin
A.Q. Shipley, Penn State Center Rob Bruggeman, Iowa
Seth Olsen, Iowa Guard Stefen Wisniewski, Penn State
Rich Ohrnberger, Penn State Guard Kraig Urbik, Wisconsin
Alex Boone, Ohio State Tackle Xavier Fulton, Illinois
Gerald Cadogan, Penn State Tackle Bryan Bulaga, Iowa
Brandon Myers, Iowa Tight End Garrett Graham, Wisconsin
Kevin Kelly, Penn State Kicker Brett Swenson, Michigan State

The question is whether our offensive coaching staff can teach football.

Nobody wins games on the chalkboard in college football. You have to make football players first.

I've seen so much that makes me scratch my head--little red lights going off all over the place.

Here are two little red lights:

1) Two weeks ago we used a trips formation in which we split out an offensive tackle. So Stommes is out there in the Y position and we try to run a little quick screen out of it. The predictable result is that Stommes never gets out of his stance and the defensive player runs right past him and tackles our guy for a loss.

Here's the thing: putting in that dumb little package takes a lot of time in practice. There are about 100 things they need to be working on--like, um, how to block--and instead Matt Stommes is learning how to line up in the slot--whether he needs to be on the line of scrimmage, how he can release, what technique to use depending on whether the defense also split a lineman. This is half an hour of practice minimum, and requires the attention of three players and a coach. So they install it...get owned on it...and never use it again. Genius. WTF is this all about?

2) Two weeks ago Stoudamire lets a kickoff bounce from the five yard line into the end zone. He never blinks at it and runs off the field. HELLO. That's a live ball. Fortunately the ref blew it dead immediately. But the fact that he never hesitated in his reaction tells me he was never coached on this. His reaction to the ball hitting the five yard line should be automatic. He shouldn't even think about it: he just downs it. But instead...

I agree with you on #1. On #2, as someone else stated, the ball is dead the moment it touches the ground in the end zone.

Maybe you should try the converse of that statement?

2008 All-Big Ten Conference Football Team
As selected by CONFERENCE COACHES

FIRST TEAM OFFENSE SECOND TEAM
Daryll Clark, Penn State Quarterback Adam Weber, Minnesota
Shonn Greene, Iowa Running Back Chris "Beanie" Wells, Ohio State
Javon Ringer, Michigan State Running Back Evan Royster, Penn State
Eric Decker, Minnesota Receiver Arrelious Benn, Illinois
Derrick Williams, Penn State Receiver David Gilreath, Wisconsin
A.Q. Shipley, Penn State Center Rob Bruggeman, Iowa
Seth Olsen, Iowa Guard Stefen Wisniewski, Penn State
Rich Ohrnberger, Penn State Guard Kraig Urbik, Wisconsin
Alex Boone, Ohio State Tackle Xavier Fulton, Illinois
Gerald Cadogan, Penn State Tackle Bryan Bulaga, Iowa
Brandon Myers, Iowa Tight End Garrett Graham, Wisconsin
Kevin Kelly, Penn State Kicker Brett Swenson, Michigan State

Have you watched *ANY* Gopher games this season? Really?

And I have the bells and whistle

Someone, and I am not saying who had the idea Stommes was the player that could make it go.
Someone also was satisfied in practice it was good to go. Whose to say they haven't worked on it all year?

And then the play.

And the reaction. Stommes gets benched and Alford is inserted.

That sent a message to the entire team.

How well do you think players will jump at the next wrinkle?

This offensive line has neither the talent nor the coaching to make that play work. It should have been scratched before it was brought to the practice field.

Bottom line neither Coach Brewster nor Coach Fisch took ownership. Rather they indirectly faulted the player. That doesn't play in the locker room.

Did you watch any last year? Really?

You mean how Weber looked good against the Cupcakes and did virtually NOTHING against any decent team? Yeah...I watched...and this year it's the same thing.......

I thought they came out with a game plan that could work. The players were much more comfortable in the spread and were more successfull with it. They lost their confidence in the third quarter and it fell apart. Not sure that is on the coaching this week. They could have been ahead in the first half if they had executed.

I hope the O coaches are going back to the basics with their offense. It appears that Gray will get more PT and Weber has obviously struggled so that makes sense in both areas. Lining up all over the field hasn't resulted in an effective offense. Anyone can see that the team is not crisp in its execution. Use the QB in the running game as Weber is OK and Gray has done well.

If I could suggest to the O coaches one thing, it would be to Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS)

When things do click, this team finds a way to screw up. Its almost comical but something we have come to expect from Brewsterball.

Can some one convince me that we have reached rock bottom and have no where to go but up?

I agree with you on #1. On #2, as someone else stated, the ball is dead the moment it touches the ground in the end zone.

As far as I know only a punt into the end zone is a touchback. If a kickoff goes into the end zone it is a live ball unless receiving team downs it or it goes out of the end zone. That happened a few years ago in the NFL when Woodson let the ball drop in the end zone and left the field and the Colts picked it up and scored a touchdown.

A little birdy told me Maturi is about as steamed as he gets over the Fisch firing. He was against the Dunbar hiring and had warned Brew that he better get this one right.

Looks like he did not.

What? Did I wake up in bizarro world?

This is not the bottom. And Bayfield you are correct. Keep it Simple, but I am not conviced that the offensive line as a whole or individually can execute a drive block, a cut off block, seal, double team, or trap.

And I fear that there are some politics going on between Coach Davis and Coach Fisch. I never liked the two head coordinator approach under Coach Mason, and I like it even less now.

I fear that Coach Brewster cannot or will not see the problem, and therefore do nothing about it.

NFL

As far as I know only a punt into the end zone is a touchback. If a kickoff goes into the end zone it is a live ball unless receiving team downs it or it goes out of the end zone. That happened a few years ago in the NFL when Woodson let the ball drop in the end zone and left the field and the Colts picked it up and scored a touchdown.

that is true in the NFL, in college it is a dead ball the second it hits the endzone

nm

I was so excited when I saw Fisch had been fired. What a bummer to see it was a typo.
Fisch has zero feel for the flow of a game. He brings in Gray, we make good yardage, and OUT he goes. When you have a flow going, you stay with it, Jed. He is also very predictable. IF we pass on first down and it's incomplete, Fisch's play book clearly states, you must now run off tackle. Obviously, the defenses have figured this out. WHY? do we do this?

Fisch was as prepared for his job as Brewster was for his. No wonder no good coach wanted that job. They've learned that Brewster is a bust and want no part of this program.

One absolute...Never confuse NFL Pro rules with College rules. Unless you are an expert at both rule books. In fact, too many high school fans confuse both Pro and College rules with high school rules. Different books, different rules.

I think Fisch has done a decent job of game planning this season and breaking in Gray at the right speed. The execution has been horrible though and most of that's on the offensive line. Penalties have killed us all season, mostly from the OL. I'd love to just fire someone and hire someone else and think it'll all be fixed but we did that last year and it's not fixed. Fisch would look a lot smarter and Weber would look a lot better if Brandon Green hadn't dropped everything thrown his way, and if DaJon McKnight could have grabbed the ball that hit his hands and if Eric Lair wouldn't have let the ball bounce off his facemask and I know there were SEVERAL more I've mentally blocked out so those are just off the top of my head.

Happy to be corrected on point #2.

I could still come up with 100 other warning signs.

I think Fisch has done a decent job of game planning this season and breaking in Gray at the right speed. The execution has been horrible though and most of that's on the offensive line. Penalties have killed us all season, mostly from the OL. I'd love to just fire someone and hire someone else and think it'll all be fixed but we did that last year and it's not fixed. Fisch would look a lot smarter and Weber would look a lot better if Brandon Green hadn't dropped everything thrown his way, and if DaJon McKnight could have grabbed the ball that hit his hands and if Eric Lair wouldn't have let the ball bounce off his facemask and I know there were SEVERAL more I've mentally blocked out so those are just off the top of my head.

Exactly. I had little problem with Fisch yesterday. If our receivers catch the ball yesterday who knows what we would could have done.

Yes, you have to wonder about all these co-coordinators, on top of having three DCs and two OCs in three years. Dunbar was a terrible choice initially - the Gophers would have won 4,5 games in 2007 with a more conventional offense.

On 1500 this morning it was stated that Brewster fired Dunbar without consulting Maturi and it didn't go over good. After all, didn't that hire break new ground for asst. coach salaries at the U? Conventional wisdom would point to Brewster getting another year to develop his recruits, but who knows if there are other issues behind the scenes to add to the issue of poor play.

Did you watch any last year? Really?

What the hell does last year have to do with anything?

Tony Dungy was a hell of a QB 35 years ago - should we give him a call and see if he wants to line up?

Dumb.

I thought the play Studwell described with Stommes lined up wide and a 4 man line was interesting. It didn't work, but it certainly appeared like if Stommes makes his block it would have gone for a big gain.

I agree with Studwell's point about the time this particular play probably took in practice.

I personally feel like Fisch is trying to scheme for every yard this team gets on offense. The play we started with against tOSU where Decker caught the flare out of the backfield was an example. Their were a lot of moving parts on that play for a play designed to pick up 5-10 yards.

When was the last time this team had a guy catch a ball and run 15-20 yards (or more) in to the end zone? Or break a run and go 20 or more to the end zone? There is no explosion to this offense at all, that's largely due to talent, but also some due to playcalling.

It is not a secret that we have one of the worst lines in college football (again). What could not have been predicted is Adam Weber's regression at QB. I thought Weber was actually better against tOSU than he was PSU or Purdue, but he's still well behind what we saw in 2008.

I thought Dunbar got too much blame last year, and I think Fisch shoulders too much blame this year. If the blame is to go to the coaching staff, it should go to Davis as the Oline coach. He has not been able to develop a line that can compete in the Big Ten, and they might be worse in the running game than they are in the passing game. I think Fisch deserves more blame for the regression of Weber than his choice of playcalls.

Top Bottom