Maturi enthused about U coaching candidates

i just like the color me phrase. thankyou. Bobby was on the max show though wasn't he?

With all the Bowden Coaches, it gets confusing. He does speaking around the country for FCA. He has put himself in one coaching opening. Here's the link:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...ombowden011310

"Tommy Bowden met with South Florida officials on Wednesday night to discuss the Bulls’ head coaching vacancy, Rivals.com has learned.

Bowden was out of coaching last season. He coached Clemson from 1999-2008, compiling a 72-45 record with eight bowl appearances. Bowden also coached Tulane from 1997-98, going 18-4.

The Bulls are seeking a replacement for Jim Leavitt, who was fired after an investigation into allegations he struck a player last season.

Others possible candidates for the USF job are East Carolina coach Skip Holtz, Florida assistant head coach Dan McCarney (who reportedly has met twice with USF), Middle Tennessee State coach Rick Stockstill and Southern Miss coach Larry Fedora."

A lot of names here would not be a surprise to be interested in the MN job. The names on here that I would say Maturi could be referring to would be Beamer or Rodriguez. Nobody would be, or should be, shocked that Bowden, Stoops, or some Canadien head coach would be interested in the job. Of course they would be. I think Maturi means someone like a Beamer or Rodriguez. Or a former pro coach like a Linehan or someone. I hope he sticks to college coaches.

I thought we weren't going to hear from Joel until the new coach was introduced? He keeps saying things that are giving people hope - Really hope he delivers.

I believe that was his initial statement, but remember that all communication now related to the head coaching search is most likely being dictated by Dave Mona. This leads me to believe that this is a more desirable job with better potential candidates than many of us feared.

Please, Maturi, stop talking!

Exactly why Maturi should not be making this hire. He should not be opening his mouth even to yawn until the person who is offered the job has accepted. There should be zero tease, zero hints, zero anything. In fact, we shouldn't even know Maturi exists while this search is going on. This bit of news is just more proof of the complete lack of professionalism being exhibited by our athletic director. He's a kook, a nitwit, and to think that my hard earned tax payer money contributes to his salary disgusts me. Why on earth he hasn't been fired by now, much less is being given yet a 2nd chance at this is beyond reason. All this only gives me even less confidence in president Bob.

Exactly why Maturi should not be making this hire. He should not be opening his mouth even to yawn until the person who is offered the job has accepted. There should be zero tease, zero hints, zero anything. In fact, we shouldn't even know Maturi exists while this search is going on. This bit of news is just more proof of the complete lack of professionalism being exhibited by our athletic director. He's a kook, a nitwit, and to think that my hard earned tax payer money contributes to his salary disgusts me. Why on earth he hasn't been fired by now, much less is being given yet a 2nd chance at this is beyond reason. All this only gives me even less confidence in president Bob.

This coaching search is the only buzz the U has right now though...

The belief that Maturi shouldn't say a thing doesn't seem to be widely shared. If he said nothng, people would be demanding information quite loudly.

The only way to significantly increase spending on football is to increase the seating at TCF Bronk Stadium to 60-80K and fill the seats.

Gotta be able to consistently fill the 50k we have now...

Agreed, we shouldn't expand until we can consistently fill the stadium even in down years. (a 1 win season is worse than a down year) If you can sell more than 50K, that's great, but if you can't, having extra seating merely devalues the tickets. Plus, 50K in a 50K stadium is a fantastic atmosphere, 50K in a 60K stadium is not. This adds to the value of a ticket.

If people feel that they can just walk up and buy a ticket, they will have a lot less urgency and interest in buying season tickets than if they might not get tickets at all if they wait. And a stadium with 10K+ unsold tickets is less of a draw than a stadium with few unsold tickets. It's like when the NSIC used to have games at the dome. The crowd might not be that bad in a small stadium, but in a 60K seat stadium is was an absolute tomb.

Once ticket demand for Minnesota vs. New Hampshire = 80,0000+ tickets at $60+ then you have adequate demand to start the process of considering adding 10,000 new seats. It would be foolhardy for the U to even wast the time of people who are the payroll until then.

The U got the stadium right. But then they made the highly questionable descision of firing the HC that made that stadium even a remote possiblity. And then they did the firing at precisely the wrong time. And then they made a hire with the worst possible resume and public demeanor one could possibly imagine.

Once ticket demand for Minnesota vs. New Hampshire = 80,0000+ tickets at $60+ then you have adequate demand to start the process of considering adding 10,000 new seats. It would be foolhardy for the U to even wast the time of people who are the payroll until then.

I think that's excessive. It doesn't make sense to wait to expand by 10,000 until demand exceeds current capacity by 30,000 for even a game against a I-AA opponent. One demand exceeds capacity consistently by 10,000, then it makes sense to expand.

The U got the stadium right. But then they made the highly questionable descision of firing the HC that made that stadium even a remote possiblity. And then they did the firing at precisely the wrong time. And then they made a hire with the worst possible resume and public demeanor one could possibly imagine.

Call it the Mason Rule. Have the biggest collapse in bowl game history, and you get fired. It may be many years before such an epic collapse happens again, but I expect when that happens, that coach gets fired.

My guess would be Richt. I'm assuming Harbaugh, Patterson, and Peterson have all already been asked at this point and politely declined. Richt has one foot out the door in Georgia already and if they want him gone bad enough they will find a way to either lower his buyout or pay it. Just a thought..

And *THIS* is one of the reasons I just don't trust Maturi with this hire. Maybe he'll get it right this time but history is not on his side right now as far as how he handles Gopher Football...

Didn't a lot of the boosters want Mason gone after the bowl game? And aren't the boosters the ones who are asking for Trestman?

Didn't a lot of the boosters want Mason gone after the bowl game? And aren't the boosters the ones who are asking for Trestman?

If so they're proven idiots...not for wanting Mason gone but for wanting Mason gone, living through the Brewster Era & still being interested in Marc Trestman...

The belief that Maturi shouldn't say a thing doesn't seem to be widely shared. If he said nothng, people would be demanding information quite loudly.

How about: "The search is going well and we are making progress. A good number of qualified coaches have shown interest which could put us into the position to hire the right person according our needs. This is a great opportunity both for the University of Minnesota and the incoming coach. Thank you."

People are angry about Maturi for that quote? That's pretty impressive.

How about: "The search is going well and we are making progress. A good number of qualified coaches have shown interest which could put us into the position to hire the right person according our needs. This is a great opportunity both for the University of Minnesota and the incoming coach. Thank you."

People would be demanding more detail.

How about each day, he announces a coach who is NOT a candidate. Like Northland CC's coach. Not a candidate.

I would guess he is speaking more to Booster, players/recruits, and potential Candidates rather than the general public. His statement gets boosters fired up to cut a check if needed, keeps players/recruits on the hook until the announcement is made, and probably more importantly shows candidates that the U is very excited about them.

The University of Minnesota is in the middle of the Big Ten for the total number of sports sponsored. Contrary to popular belief, the U does not have an unusual number of sports. People point to rowing, but rowing is Title IX compliance on the cheap. The way to football success does not lie in gutting non-revenue sports.

Just did a quick search over lunch and according to the websites of each Big Ten Conference member, here is the list of varsity sports offered and sponsored by each school:

Ohio State 35
Penn State 29
Minnesota 25
Michigan 25
Wisconsin 23
Iowa 22
Indiana 22
Nebraska* 21
Michigan State 20
Northwestern 19
Illinois 19
Purdue 18

* I know Nebraska is not officially in the Big Ten yet, but included them anyway*

So, Minnesota is 3rd out of 12 Big Ten schools in sports offered. That is hardly the "middle of the Big Ten."

For comparison sake the University of Texas (One of the richest athletic departments in the country) offers 18!

A lot of boosters wanted Mason gone after the 48-12 drubbing in Madison followed by the blocked Field Goal 10-9 win against NDSU. That was followed by the 44-0 shutout against Ohio State. Mason was talking about "drunken students", "trinket games", "rebuilding" and not showing-up for his own radio shows. Discontent was pretty damn high and a few let Bruininks know they were no longer in Mason's corner.

Mason then won the next three games include the 34-24 victory against an Iowa team that finished 2-6 in the Big Ten that got them into the Insight Bowl in the first place.

Would any of the unhappy boosters have demanded Mason's firing if the knew he'd be replaced by a guy they had never heard of? A guy with Brewster's background?

Oh, probably not.:)

The Masonites apologized and defended Mason all through his breakdown mainly by saying that a Fourth Place finish every few years is the best Minnesota can do. They still do defend him at every turn and whitewash any of his sins, personal or professional. What they don't do is come out and say anything about Fourth Place finishes, though mocking any talk of Rose Bowls comes pretty damn close. Glen also would have approved of selling something to the highest bidder which would explain why many of his most die hard supporters have no problem getting some Iowa blood money. :eek:

Nope the Texas Tech debacle and Mason's locker room aftermath may have been the final straw but let's kill the old chestnut that everything was fine with the money guys before the 2nd Half of that game.

DON'T LET YOUR TICKETS GET TO AN IOWA FAN!

Is there any way we can put a gag order on Maturi until this thing is over? I hate it when he makes comments like "wow, I can't believe this quality coach was interested in our school!" Way to sell the U, Joel.

Agreed. What Maturi is doing does not help the process at all. Just keep your mouth shut. I know he is trying to appease the fanbase, but he is only potentially digging himself a hole and giving his critics more ammo.

Agreed. What Maturi is doing does not help the process at all. Just keep your mouth shut. I know he is trying to appease the fanbase, but he is only potentially digging himself a hole and giving his critics more ammo.
I don't think he should be concerned about self-preservation or how he looks.

Just did a quick search over lunch and according to the websites of each Big Ten Conference member, here is the list of varsity sports offered and sponsored by each school:

Ohio State 35
Penn State 29
Minnesota 25
Michigan 25
Wisconsin 23
Iowa 22
Indiana 22
Nebraska* 21
Michigan State 20
Northwestern 19
Illinois 19
Purdue 18

* I know Nebraska is not officially in the Big Ten yet, but included them anyway*

So, Minnesota is 3rd out of 12 Big Ten schools in sports offered. That is hardly the "middle of the Big Ten."

For comparison sake the University of Texas (One of the richest athletic departments in the country) offers 18!

You also need to adjust that the U has one more revenue generating sport than most in men's hockey. This almost by default will require them to carry women's hockey for title 9 and its importance to this state. Only Michigan State is in the lower half of the conference as a school that has hockey, which probably doesn't generate nearly as much revenue as the U of M. Also look at the list which schools would you want to be more closely associated with, the top or bottom half?

You also need to adjust that the U has one more revenue generating sport than most in men's hockey. This almost by default will require them to carry women's hockey for title 9 and its importance to this state. Only Michigan State is in the lower half of the conference as a school that has hockey, which probably doesn't generate nearly as much revenue as the U of M. Also look at the list which schools would you want to be more closely associated with, the top or bottom half?

What needs to be adjusted about the list? It was simply a list of the number of sports offered.

Obviously you would want to "associate" with the schools at the top. However, the argument can be made that the revenue from football at OSU, PSU & Michigan ALLOWS them to sponsor that many sports, whereas Minnesota has strugged with football revenue for years.

Ok I'll speculate

Here are a couple of names no one has metioned.

Les Miles at LSU, maybe he ready to come back to the Big 10. A Michigan Man, but what the heck he has the National Title, Certainly comparable in the coaching arena as Tubby.

Urban Meyer, things are not so rosy in the swamp. The bloom is off the Gators. Playing second fiddle to Alabama is not going to cut it.

And of course my guy Terry Bowden.

He's a kook, a nitwit, and to think that my hard earned tax payer money contributes to his salary disgusts me.

Your location says California, so I doubt any of your tax dollars go to the University of Minnesota.

Top Bottom