Maturi enthused about U coaching candidates

station19

Reaction score
From the Strib today:

Here's the interesting paragraph;

And as if the search isn't tantalizing enough for Gophers fans starving for a program-changing hire, Minnesota's athletic director offered a tease: The list includes at least one name that hasn't circulated who "I was surprised that that person might be interested in Minnesota," he said. "They weren't on my list."

Raises two questions; doesn't JM read Gopher Hole or who is this name.
Let the speculation begin.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

From the Strib today:

Here's the interesting paragraph;

And as if the search isn't tantalizing enough for Gophers fans starving for a program-changing hire, Minnesota's athletic director offered a tease: The list includes at least one name that hasn't circulated who "I was surprised that that person might be interested in Minnesota," he said. "They weren't on my list."

Raises two questions; doesn't JM read Gopher Hole or who is this name.
Let the speculation begin.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Sounds like a statement he would of made when Brewster emerged as a candidate. I would be leary of this statement coming from Maturi.

Sounds like a statement he would of made when Brewster emerged as a candidate. I would be leary of this statement coming from Maturi.

I wouldn't be leary. Having a search firm like Parker gives coaches that aren't happy (but not publicly) a place to let a school know they are interested. Remember, know one knew Tubby was a candidate. Everything was done through the search firm.

Is there any way we can put a gag order on Maturi until this thing is over? I hate it when he makes comments like "wow, I can't believe this quality coach was interested in our school!" Way to sell the U, Joel.

A little birdie told me

that it's Hayden Fox!

The Fargo Flash

on KFAN yesterday morning listed his top two candidates as Kevin Sumlin (Houston) and Brady Hoke (San Diego State). He likes them both a LOT>

Having a search firm like Parker gives coaches that aren't happy (but not publicly) a place to let a school know they are interested. Remember, know one knew Tubby was a candidate. Everything was done through the search firm.

I have no idea, but just guessing on guys who are fairly well-regarded but might be looking to move to a new situation for any number of factors (some on the hot seat) who might be at least inquiring:

Jeff Tedford, Cal
Greg Schiano, Rutgers
Houston Nutt, Ole Miss
Rich Rodriguez, Michigan
Mark Richt, Georgia

What does a coach with the last name "Bowden" do for you?

No little birdie, just a hunch.

According to my sources the canidate that Maturi didn't expect to be interested in coaching here and might shock the world if he comes here is Mike Hohensee.

Maybe Maturi is excited that Jeff Horton is wanting to be the head coach!

on KFAN yesterday morning listed his top two candidates as Kevin Sumlin (Houston) and Brady Hoke (San Diego State). He likes them both a LOT>

would think another poster heard/saw this on cbs college sports: tifwiw---host said he was down talking to sumlin (stated they are good friends), and the minnesota job came up in the discussion. host also stated with sumlin's wife being from mn, he thought maybe sumlin might show some interest in the mn job. sumlin stated something like "why would i leave houston?" since this guy claimed to be good friends with sumlin, would think the discussion might have gone a little further leading this host to conclude that he didn't think sumlin had any interest in the mn job.

but, ya never know. gopher fans will probably learn once this thing plays itself out.

According to my sources the canidate that Maturi didn't expect to be interested in coaching here and might shock the world if he comes here is Mike Hohensee.

You beat me to it! It's gotta be either Hohensee or Tim Salem.

Or maybe Mike Dunbar.

What does a coach with the last name "Bowden" do for you?

No little birdie, just a hunch.

He was on Mike Max the other night selling some motivational dvd, he said that he didn't even know that Minnesota had fired their coach.

Bud Grant... lol! We're gonna do the Grant version of the Kiffins... Mike as HC and father Bud as DC...

He was on Mike Max the other night selling some motivational dvd, he said that he didn't even know that Minnesota had fired their coach.

Those Bowdens don't tip their hats.

Saying that he didn't know that Minnesota fired their coach is hilarious. Someone that's been in the game for that long never gets out mentally. That being the case, how come he was on Mike Max? Has he ever been on Mike Max before?

The one clincher is if he would have said, "I've always had a lot of respect for Glen Mason, I feel bad for him. And to be fired mid-year like that."

Now I'm not saying I have any inside information, but with a name like Bowden, hawking motivational dvd's isn't his first choice of careers or would he view it as a way to end it.

You got it man. Get the gag out.
We don't need him blabbering and scaring off people before he even sits down with them (and then scares them off).

Is there any way we can put a gag order on Maturi until this thing is over? I hate it when he makes comments like "wow, I can't believe this quality coach was interested in our school!" Way to sell the U, Joel.

Maturi says these things to reassure fans that the search is going well. Does it mean the search is going well? Your guess is as good as mine. Despite what a lot of people think, Maturi is not stupid or naive. He's a capable administrator who is taking a lot of heat because he hired a terrible football coach. Had he hired an even moderately good coach, people wouldn't be so down on him.

My understanding is Maturi has looked at the CFL closely because of Trestman and focused on John Hufnagel of Calgary.

Seriously, why would an AD ever say "I can't believe they are interested in Minnesota"?

ummm. color me stupid but are we talking about Robert Cleckler "Bobby" Bowden?

If so, I believe Fulmer and Bellotti have been questioned regarding age. Good ol' Bobby is 81? Seems a stretch, but as stated below, color me stupid.

Because Maturi is a horrible excuse for an AD.

he's a nonrevenue sports cheerleader, pausing to notice the piles of money funding said programs dwindling as the revenue sports are neglected.

My guess is it's a sitting head coach that doesn't appear (from the outside) to have any issues but for one reason or another quietly wants out. Hopefully a situation like Tubby Smith.

The University of Minnesota is in the middle of the Big Ten for the total number of sports sponsored. Contrary to popular belief, the U does not have an unusual number of sports. People point to rowing, but rowing is Title IX compliance on the cheap. The way to football success does not lie in gutting non-revenue sports.

And the revenue sports are not being neglected. Just take one good look at TCF Bank Stadium to see that. We got very little revenue from the Metrodome, and now TCF brings in revenue streams we never had before.

The University of Minnesota is in the middle of the Big Ten for the total number of sports sponsored. Contrary to popular belief, the U does not have an unusual number of sports. People point to rowing, but rowing is Title IX compliance on the cheap. The way to football success does not lie in gutting non-revenue sports.

And the revenue sports are not being neglected. Just take one good look at TCF Bank Stadium to see that. We got very little revenue from the Metrodome, and now TCF brings in revenue streams we never had before.

The only way to significantly increase spending on football is to increase the seating at TCF Bronk Stadium to 60-80K and fill the seats.

I thought we weren't going to hear from Joel until the new coach was introduced? He keeps saying things that are giving people hope - Really hope he delivers.

ummm. color me stupid but are we talking about Robert Cleckler "Bobby" Bowden?

If so, I believe Fulmer and Bellotti have been questioned regarding age. Good ol' Bobby is 81? Seems a stretch, but as stated below, color me stupid.

I won't color you that way, but I'll give you a hint:

519006.jpg

He's not 81, but his dad is.

Also, he's looking for a Head Coaching job:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=td-tombowden011310

Has Mike Stoops been mentioned?

He has rebuilt Arizona. He is an Iowa grad. His salary is $1,025,000, which I would assume will be extended. Just a thought.

He has rebuilt Arizona. He is an Iowa grad. His salary is $1,025,000, which I would assume will be extended. Just a thought.

mentioned very early by GL as a leading candidate. I wonder if she has heard any more?

Top Bottom