Maturi enthused about U coaching candidates

The fact that Glen's no-nonsense, realistic demeanor rubbed a few people the wrong way should never have been a consideration as to whether he was given a chance to see what level he could have taken the program to in the building he was instrumental in getting built.

Goldmember, I always thought you were one of the more informed posters in GopherHole. Now I think you are a f*cking moron.

I'm not sure what part of that you find so objectionable. But I suspect it is the "no-nonsense" and "realistic" adjectives that i have ascribed to Glen Mason. That is not meant to be a full characterization of his demeanor. While I though Mason was a "good" coach for Minnesota, I don't blame the U for trying to find a better coach. But let's face it: that was never the U's objective in firing him. The sole concern was finding a better "face of the program" The move was made, for the most part, to appease those critics.

Concerns over anything specific that was happening on the field were left undressed with the last hire. I did't realize people were still so sensitive about anyone saying anything that might be construed as positive about Glen Mason.

The stadium makes a difference there is no question about that.

The issue is how much of a difference does it make (in this context I'll talking about just from a financial standpoint to the Athletic department)?

1) It is hard to say, we know that parking money doesn't go to the AD (at least it has been claimed on here a million times) - wash compared to the metrodome.

2) Haven't heard any comparison to ticket sales revenue - assumed wash

3) Concessions, none from the metrodome, all from TCF - advantage new stadium

4) Upkeep costs (maintenance, any bond costs, etc.) metrodome none, TCF yes - advantage metro dome.

5) Suite money - advantage TCF

So to me the real question is does the suite & concessions money offset the costs to run and maintain the stadium? I am sure it does and I am sure there additional revenue streams that I didn't list.

In the past couple of years the real increase in revenue stream to the AD has to be the money from the BTN.

Just like there are more cost streams to the U not covered in the Athletic Department: legal, ombudsman, labor negotiation, staff labor costs.

I'm not sure what part of that you find so objectionable. But I suspect it is the "no-nonsense" and "realistic" adjectives that i have ascribed to Glen Mason. That is not meant to be a full characterization of his demeanor. While I though Mason was a "good" coach for Minnesota, I don't blame the U for trying to find a better coach. But let's face it: that was never the U's objective in firing him. The sole concern was finding a better "face of the program" The move was made, for the most part, to appease those critics.

Concerns over anything specific that was happening on the field were left undressed with the last hire. I did't realize people were still so sensitive about anyone saying anything that might be construed as positive about Glen Mason.

I agree, but I think when people (particularly Masonites) make the type of statement you just made it upsets rational fans ( I would include you in this group) since they fail to acknowledge that Mason's program had started to slide back towards the bottom of the BigTen. Most of all it is disheartening when certain posters fail to acknowledge that Mase appeared to have settled into what he thought he needed to do to be successful (lower teir bowl game & once every five year finish in the upper half of the conference) here after it became clear he would not take the next step in his coaching career.

Just like there are more cost streams to the U not covered in the Athletic Department: legal, ombudsman, labor negotiation, staff labor costs.

The U already has those "costs" regardless of if there is a stadium or not. The cost streams are minimal outside of the stadium maintenance costs. I think you forgot teaching assistant costs, nice try.

on KFAN yesterday morning listed his top two candidates as Kevin Sumlin (Houston) and Brady Hoke (San Diego State). He likes them both a LOT>

The FARGOFLASH knows nothing about college athletics. I could talk to my 7 year old cousin and could get equally as relevant info in most cases.

Though these are probably two of the top 15 or so candidates :D

I'd be in favor of hiring the entire Bowden family. With Bobby as the propaganda minister.

Top Bottom