Matthew Hurt

I think he was a great coach. But you are exactly right, he took some tough jobs and his record suffered for it. In his final 8 years, as a veteran coach his record in conference play between Wisconsin and Washington State was 55-79. He did have that one amazing run to the final four off of a 9-9 conference season, but overall it was tough. So my point is this: there's a great coach in tough jobs. I think Pitino is a good coach, a young coach who has not hit his prime, in a very tough job. If he gets fired, he gets fired, so be it, I will trust Coyle. While he is our coach he deserves our backing and needs it. For me, I fully consider the job he has taken and how close he has been to being successful in the overall picture. We may be best to move on depending on our options, but he could still also be the best of our available options.

This job could be good. But as of now it is a coach killer without the college atmosphere you refer to and there is a tough hill yet to climb. We are going to need to find someone and stick with them through thick and thin. As Coyle recently stated, this cannot be a transitional job, where we change horses this often.
You have to start at UWSP and how awful that job was, how great it became, how few people went to games and how you could not get in the door when he left and what condition he left it. Rinse and repeat at UWGB taking down a Cal team with two lottery picks ! Crushing Purdue on their court, New stadium being built. On to the crappy UW job, kick out Rashard Griffith, later Sam Okey build it the right way. That 9-9 Big 10 record was done with great conference teams and at the end only MSU could beat them (4 times in all and the only ncaa title winner this century) That UW team will be the last power 6 team to make a final 4 without a 1st,2nd, or 3rd team all conference player. He would win the conference with our roster this year. Then to walk away from it with nearly the whole team returning the next year. It took him one full recruiting class to get to a final 4 without even traveling the road. He just found the first 5 guys that could defend,shoot and share the ball. He built a culture day one and left the table set with the pipeline set by Tony for Devin Harris, Alando Tucker, Mike Wilikinson, Kirk Penney and Tony as Ryan assistant. Just know if he had 7 years here he would have built something greater than the 5 years in Madison. Among coaches he was a teaching legend by the age of 30 and UW was wrapped up in a horrible run of athletic directors !

You have to start at UWSP and how awful that job was, how great it became, how few people went to games and how you could not get in the door when he left and what condition he left it. Rinse and repeat at UWGB taking down a Cal team with two lottery picks ! Crushing Purdue on their court, New stadium being built. On to the crappy UW job, kick out Rashard Griffith, later Sam Okey build it the right way. That 9-9 Big 10 record was done with great conference teams and at the end only MSU could beat them (4 times in all and the only ncaa title winner this century) That UW team will be the last power 6 team to make a final 4 without a 1st,2nd, or 3rd team all conference player. He would win the conference with our roster this year. Then to walk away from it with nearly the whole team returning the next year. It took him one full recruiting class to get to a final 4 without even traveling the road. He just found the first 5 guys that could defend,shoot and share the ball. He built a culture day one and left the table set with the pipeline set by Tony for Devin Harris, Alando Tucker, Mike Wilikinson, Kirk Penney and Tony as Ryan assistant. Just know if he had 7 years here he would have built something greater than the 5 years in Madison. Among coaches he was a teaching legend by the age of 30 and UW was wrapped up in a horrible run of athletic directors !
I don't disagree with one word. That's long form for saying that it is possible to go 8 years at 55-79 in conference and explain it. Dick Bennett was a great coach- no doubt. This also is a VERY tough job. It can be done, but we traditionally have been a lower half team going all the way back through Dutcher (a good coach). Tubby Smith, also a great coach, never was able to crack .500 in a season or finish higher than 6th. We have finished 4th or better only 6 times in the last 45 years without having the record expunged. That's the definition of a tough job. We should expect more whether from Pitino or another coach but it will take time. I fully admit that this young coach did not start well or correctly. I think he is on a better path now, though it may be too late. We will have to wait and see what Coyle does.

Why, to ride the bench for another year? Duke will recruit over him.

He had his chance early in the year and proved he wasn't the player they thought he was. If Coach K is such a great coach, why hasn't he developed him into a better player. I have not watched a lot of Duke games, but all I remember from Hurt was seeing him standing around by the three point line with his hands out looking for a pass so he could shoot. Is that what the fabulous coach K taught him to do?
This x100. Coach K is not such a great coach. Great recruiter, yes. Coach, no

I don't disagree with one word. That's long form for saying that it is possible to go 8 years at 55-79 in conference and explain it. Dick Bennett was a great coach- no doubt. This also is a VERY tough job. It can be done, but we traditionally have been a lower half team going all the way back through Dutcher (a good coach). Tubby Smith, also a great coach, never was able to crack .500 in a season or finish higher than 6th. We have finished 4th or better only 6 times in the last 45 years without having the record expunged. That's the definition of a tough job. We should expect more whether from Pitino or another coach but it will take time. I fully admit that this young coach did not start well or correctly. I think he is on a better path now, though it may be too late. We will have to wait and see what Coyle does.
Except you grouped the Big 10 job with the WSU job which is a mid major in what at the time was a power conference with way stronger programs. WSU is the worst job in any conference for location and facilities.Minnesota is far easier than that.

This is a VERY easy job. Dan Monson had to deal with the death penalty. Tubby was promised a practice facility that never came. There are no sanctions and there is a practice facility. Both Tubby and Dan did worse after this job. This is the only D1 program within a 5 hour drive at the heart of a major MSA.

This is a VERY easy job. Dan Monson had to deal with the death penalty. Tubby was promised a practice facility that never came. There are no sanctions and there is a practice facility. Both Tubby and Dan did worse after this job. This is the only D1 program within a 5 hour drive at the heart of a major MSA.
What I like coming here, is a variety of opinions. Your's right there is probably the first time I have ever heard that this is a VERY easy job. So I like that and look forward to a national championship with the next guy. I would love it! :)

Time to move on

I have 0 issue to losing out to Duke, they're on of the elite Basketball programs, and it's very possible he prefers to be on bench of one of the top teams over playing for gophers.

this thread has really made it difficult for a certain poster to hide his true intentions regarding the program. That much is VERY clear

I think Pitino would be an excellent coach for Hurt, he has shown great ability in developing and getting 4* type talent recognized by the NBA, Duke is a black hole for him, if his goal is to to have a career overseas then he should stay at Duke.

I believe he'll still declare for the draft this year, and some team will pick him up hoping they're drafting the next Duncan Robinson. Next years draft is supposed to be better and duke's incoming freshman will scoot him aside. He has to go now

Humphries was not the only one in the relationship to change his mind. Hurt has not changed his mind about what coach to play for and if he did it will very likely not be for the coach we have.

You keep bringing the coach into it. Is Coach K really a super coach? He definitely gets to work with some of the best talent in the nation year after year. From the standpoint of making it to the NBA....did Hurt make the right choice? Because he is not playing much these days. He'd be getting much more time with the Gophers on the other hand. Would Oturu be a projected top ten pick if he played for Duke? Would he have received enough playing time to develop like he has here?

Oh wait....is Oturu still even projected to get drafted? I keep hearing from some gonzaga/virginia/badger fan that Pitino is a bad coach and players need to get to a different program in order to succeed. :rolleyes:

I think Pitino would be an excellent coach for Hurt, he has shown great ability in developing and getting 4* type talent recognized by the NBA, Duke is a black hole for him, if his goal is to to have a career overseas then he should stay at Duke.
That is an interesting point you make! Pitino's track record with players doing well if he gets a highly rated one is quite good:

Oturu, Coffey and Dorsey are probably his highest rated recruits. Dorsey out with a character issue 2/3
Mason, Murphy, Washington, Gabe are his next tier guys and he got 3/4 therewith 2 NBA guys
McBrayer, Hurt, Omersa - I will give him 1/3 there as I think McBrayer did fine but had to play through injuries late. Omersa is still raw, though he is a great character guy for the team it seems.
Ihnen, Williams, Freeman- jury out but Ihnen had really good in season development in year one
On the way- Mashburn and Mitchell

Other than lil Dre, he has had trouble getting under the radar guys that help.
Not enough highly rated guys and not enough sleepers developed to replace the shortage.

MN hasn’t been
why kick out Rashard? o thats wight, i forgot. .

Hurt did not think so and that is all that matters.

LOL @ any team drafting Hurt this year.

You keep bringing the coach into it. Is Coach K really a super coach? He definitely gets to work with some of the best talent in the nation year after year. From the standpoint of making it to the NBA....did Hurt make the right choice? Because he is not playing much these days. He'd be getting much more time with the Gophers on the other hand. Would Oturu be a projected top ten pick if he played for Duke? Would he have received enough playing time to develop like he has here?

Oh wait....is Oturu still even projected to get drafted? I keep hearing from some gonzaga/virginia/badger fan that Pitino is a bad coach and players need to get to a different program in order to succeed. :rolleyes:
He could have picked several coaches that i think are better than K but Pitino is not one of them and It does not matter. Hurt did not want to play for him. Just like Carlson, Suggs ..... Happens to every program. Hurt's generation loves Duke. Players wait for that offer. Believe it or not, dozens of recruits every year are not impressed with Pitino, they research his record, talk to each other.

MN hasn’t been

why kick out Rashard? o thats wight, i forgot. .

I'm not sure he was kicked out. I think he essentially flunked out because he was going to go to leave school.

He is still pretty close to the Badger program, I've seen him at almost every Badger basketball game I've attended in Madison. He stands out, he's an enormous man. I doubt he would be so close to the program if he was booted. I could be wrong.

I'm not sure he was kicked out. I think he essentially flunked out because he was going to go to leave school.

He is still pretty close to the Badger program, I've seen him at almost every Badger basketball game I've attended in Madison. He stands out, he's an enormous man. I doubt he would be so close to the program if he was booted. I could be wrong.
He was interviewed by the new staff and earned his own way out. Rules booted him out, he choose that path.

Was this at one time a thread about Matthew Hurt? I think Duke has as good as chance as anyone in a wide-open tournament field and it will be interesting to see if K trusts him on the court in tight games. It would seem that K has been fielding his best defensive squad more often than not.

He could have picked several coaches that i think are better than K but Pitino is not one of them and It does not matter. Hurt did not want to play for him. Just like Carlson, Suggs ..... Happens to every program. Hurt's generation loves Duke. Players wait for that offer. Believe it or not, dozens of recruits every year are not impressed with Pitino, they research his record, talk to each other.

How could you possibly know this?

Top Bottom