Mason on Brewster: "Mickey Mouse could have recruited Vince Young to Texas"

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here are my quick notes.

• I think you've gotta look at it, it's got to be a business decision, to get the guy in place. There isn't just one answer, if this was because of the boycott, and the tweet, and they said they need to make a change - you probably don't have your ducks in order. Barry Alvarez said - If I need a search firm to hire a head basketball or football coach, I'm not a good AD.
• Barreriro - you got a hell of a buyout. Mase - I might be dumb, but I’m not stupid.
• I'm going to get on my soapbox here. One thing that really wears me out, when they refer to someone as a "nice guy," let me tell you, this isn't a nice guy business. No one calls Nick Saban, Harbaugh or Urban Meyer a nice guy. It's a knee jerk reaction, the school tries to win the press conference, ebcause they got the secondary Coach from Alabama, rather than doing their homework. Who can deal with the problem, and situation. I was joking around - who's the most qualified person to make this decision? I said me. Because I know this job. Tim Brewster recruited Vince Young to Texas…he was from Texas and went to Texas! Mickey Mouse could of recruited him to Texas! There's a lot of mistakes made in evaluations, that's why I don't follow the staring. I think Jerry Kill and his staff did a good job, Rodney Smith and Celestin…one is evaluation, and one is selling them and getting them.
• Ohio State lost 9 players to the NFL last year, but Urban Meyer says, we're not recruiting guys to be here to redshirt. They don't want the raw talent, they want the finished talent.
• On Les Miles - he's a coach. He's been around. You know a lot more about a guy when he's run a program. For Claeys, it's really difficult when your 1st HC job is at that level. 1 negative about Les Miles, is he's a Michigan man. I've known him for a long time. He did a really good job at Ok St, which is why he got the LSU job. They play an exciting brand of football, that's a top 10 pressure cooker job. He knows about players, he knows about the Big 10. He knows the landscape of recruiting the midwest. If he had the burning desire. He's been somewhat controversial, his press conference are great, not always PC.
• On Pelini - Dean Johnson said they'd look at Pelini, because his wife is a NE grad, lol. Bo is a misunderstood guy, I recruited him to OSU, I went and watched him play bball, he was so tenacious, I said we've gotta go in on this guy, he's a tough guy. He had the image that he was a real jerk. You don't go to a place like OSU and become a caption because you're a jerk. People inside that program think he's great. He won 9 football games a year. If that's not good enough here, and he only won 9 there, they have a lot more resources there. Talk about facilities. The guy's a good coach.
• On Kiffin - I can't believe he got another job, I can't! You saw the sidelines and what was going on. He gets the break of his life at USC with Pete Carroll. He goes in there with great talent, gets the Raider job, then gets fired from there, but Al Davis says I'm not going to pay him because he's a fraud, then he's fired from that job, and gets the USC job…how does that happen? He gets fired, and goes to Alabama, and gets fired before the National Championship. The MVP when OSU played Bama, you check the record on that, should have been Lane Kiffin.
• I think Coyle went too far. There were rumors if Tracy was going to treat his job before the boycott. I told Tracy to not take that job for only 3 years. Then you make the change. Coyle says - We evaluated the whole program, and need to go in a different direction, new leadership, and thank Tracy for what he's done. The bad culture, integrity, academics…they got recognition for a high APR.
• Is it bad if we don’t' have a coach in 48 hours? It's an indication that you don't have your act together, or you're going down the list with no interest. There's been so much turnover in this program, you don't learn a program in a few months, or year, 2 years or 3 years. Iowa has had 3 AD's since 1979, you think they know what's going on? Alvarez at WI - you can tell if this guy is a fit here or isn't' a fit here. It's not a criticism, it's a fact of what's taken place at this university, it's been a revolving door. When they start to figure things out, they're gone.
• Gerry DiNardo has tried to start a search firm, and got a few jobs, but couldn't compete with the big boys. When you look at these search firms, how do they know? Have they ever coached, have they ever played, been an admin?

Ohio State had the worst loss that they ever had in a bowl, with that type of talent, you can see Urban was very very upset.

Thanks Nadine....Great insight from Mason.

* Micky Mouse could've recruited Vince Young to Texas.......Glen Mason

Thanks Nadine....Great insight from Mason.

* Micky Mouse could've recruited Vince Young to Texas.......Glen Mason

That made me laugh out loud. Mase was especially on fire today - same with the Kiffin comments!

Meatsauce said they are meeting with Miles tonight from KFAN. He has broke more than a few stories in town. That is about the only thing that would make me take him seriously about the Miles talk.

Anyone have Manny's staked out. It's cold out can you park a car nearby and scoop for the U crew?

Looking back at Vince Young here: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/233

It appears he was the no.1 recruit in the nation in the 2002 class. I think Brewster deserves credit (assuming he was the lead recruiter) for landing Vince Young, but I guess it makes for a good quote. Brewster has continued to recruit well at Florida State as well and makes sure to taunt Miami super fan Luther Campbell (of 2LiveCrew fame) on Twitter about it.

I don't disagree with the idea that a lot of mistakes are made in evaluation, but pointing out a Rodney Smith or Jon Celestin (or in the way back machine Greg Eslinger) doesn't really mean much. Did those coaches hit on those players? Yes. Did they hit on enough guys like that to win conference titles or even consistently beat Iowa/Wisconsin? No.

It appears he was the no.1 recruit in the nation in the 2002 class. I think Brewster deserves credit (assuming he was the lead recruiter) for landing Vince Young, but I guess it makes for a good quote. Brewster has continued to recruit well at Florida State as well and makes sure to taunt Miami super fan Luther Campbell (of 2LiveCrew fame) on Twitter about it.

I don't disagree with the idea that a lot of mistakes are made in evaluation, but pointing out a Rodney Smith or Jon Celestin (or in the way back machine Greg Eslinger) doesn't really mean much. Did those coaches hit on those players? Yes. Did they hit on enough guys like that to win conference titles or even consistently beat Iowa/Wisconsin? No.

Given the situation and Texas flying high under Mack Brown Mason's quote is dead on .

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Texas was just starting to get real good when Vince Young committed to Texas.

As to your second point, only Michigan and tOSU are going to recruit well enough to beat Wisconsin consistently. Unfortunately, they're that good. I think we have enough talent to compete with Iowa and we should win about 50% of the time. I don't think we lost to Iowa this year because of a lack of talent. It was just a bad game.

I also think our former staff has WAY more hits than most staffs on those kind of players.

I like Mason and the comments about Kiffin were pretty funny, and spot on. But of all things, how do you rip on Brewster's recruiting?

I like Mason and the comments about Kiffin were pretty funny, and spot on. But of all things, how do you rip on Brewster's recruiting?

Mason is hilarious, and my favorite former coach, by far. (Not that I didn't agree with his firing - it was inevitable due to his continued big game collapses.) He is now easily my favorite B1G Network announcer. Good to see he still cares.

It relates to Vince Young and the situation in Texas. You could say the same thing about Glen when he recruited MB3. With the family background you knew the kid was going to Minnesota.

There are more than a few similarities with Brew and Kill. Neither are X and O guys and both are walking one liners.

The differences? Brewster is authentic and puts his players first. Kill is conniving and all about Kill. Kill also put together a awesome staff that could coach while he could do what he does well which is be the face of the program. Which is also why the gophers never skipped a beat when he was sick or left the program. Brewster had to much turnover and when finally did get a good coaching staff the clock ran out.

Mason? The gophers screwed the pooch. Give the man this stadium and resources to hire a d-coord and all would have been well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are more than a few similarities with Brew and Kill. Neither are X and O guys and both are walking one liners.

The differences? Brewster is authentic and puts his players first. Kill is conniving and all about Kill. Kill also put together a awesome staff that could coach while he could do what he does well which is be the face of the program. Which is also why the gophers never skipped a beat when he was sick or left the program. Brewster had to much turnover and when finally did get a good coaching staff the clock ran out.

Mason? The gophers screwed the pooch. Give the man this stadium and resources to hire a d-coord and all would have been well.

Brew also completely mismanaged the roster. I'm not a Brewster hater or apologist and I can't speak to either of their characters. But Brewster absolutely no idea what he was doing in terms of roster construction.

Translation: Kill's number one priority wasn't Kim Royston's career and that makes me mad.

Mason is tons of fun. He's got a Spurrier kinda thing going.

But Brewster can recruit....I'd take him as a TE coach (recruiter) in a heartbeat.

Mason did it both at Kansas and Minnesota. He did it at two programs that did not give him the resources to succeed at the very highest levels. Only after he was gone, both places finally have the resources presented. Honestly he probably was good enough to succeed at Ohio State but was never given the chance as we all know. It would've been interesting to see what he would've done with those resources.

I enjoy Mason now more than before. He should MC the MN Sota NSD event. That would be fun.

Brew also completely mismanaged the roster. I'm not a Brewster hater or apologist and I can't speak to either of their characters. But Brewster absolutely no idea what he was doing in terms of roster construction.

I agree 100%.

After listening to the interview and typing all those bullet points, and great job there, why chose that headline for this thread?

In fairness to Brewster, Mickey Mouse dresses well, can be very charming, and has a magic kingdom. Minnie is also a nice catch.

May have buried the lead:

• I think Coyle went too far. There were rumors if Tracy was going to keep his job before the boycott. I told Tracy to not take that job for only 3 years. Then you make the change. Coyle says - We evaluated the whole program, and need to go in a different direction, new leadership, and thank Tracy for what he's done. The bad culture, integrity, academics…they got recognition for a high APR.

Or:

• Is it bad if we don’t' have a coach in 48 hours? It's an indication that you don't have your act together, or you're going down the list with no interest. There's been so much turnover in this program, you don't learn a program in a few months, or year, 2 years or 3 years. Iowa has had 3 AD's since 1979, you think they know what's going on? Alvarez at WI - you can tell if this guy is a fit here or isn't' a fit here. It's not a criticism, it's a fact of what's taken place at this university, it's been a revolving door. When they start to figure things out, they're gone.

Pretty good take. If Brew had a more consistent staff he may have had a chance.

Brewster was an absolute disaster. Unmitigated, total, unequivocal disaster. They opened a new stadium with a chance to take the program to the proverbial "next level". And absolutely flamed out. Kill brought the program back from the ashes. My favorite Mace quote on Brewster, he didn't specifically call him out by name but you knew who he was referring to by the context -- "a guy why was born on third base and thought he hit a triple."

Top Bottom