Marvelous Marvin Hagler, middleweight boxing great, dies at 66

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Marvelous Marvin Hagler stopped Thomas Hearns in a fight that lasted less than eight minutes yet was so epic that it still lives in boxing lore.

Two years later, Hagler was so disgusted after losing a decision to Sugar Ray Leonard -- stolen, he claimed, by the judges -- that he never fought again.

One of the great middleweights in boxing history, Hagler died Saturday at the age of 66. His wife, Kay, announced his death on the Facebook page for Hagler's fans.

"I am sorry to make a very sad announcement,'' she wrote. "Today unfortunately my beloved husband Marvelous Marvin passed away unexpectedly at his home here in New Hampshire. Our family requests that you respect our privacy during this difficult time.''

Go Gophers!!

I remember thinking Hagler got screwed in that Leonard fight, but I was a Hagler fan. RIP. He was my favorite of all of those great fighters during that time.

RIP. I was never a serious boxing fan and don't follow it all now but man, I loved Marvelous Marvin.

Interesting reading about the Hearns /Hagler fight. At the time it was billed as raw hatred with skill mostly thrown out the window. Turns out both guys really respected each other and actually followed their plans during the fight. Hearns was pretty honest about knowing that he had to win quickly.

Great comment from one of the announcers, "There's been no boxing, just fighting in the first round."

Amazing to watch.

Top Bottom