MarQueis Gray + Kill

Dirk Diggler

Reaction score
With all due respect to Adam Weber, this team will be far better off with Gray playing QB in the shotgun making plays with his arm and his legs than it was with Weber under center. This change alone, regardless of the Head Coach will add wins. Brewster recruited Gray here but he failed to use him. I respect the loyalty to Weber, but he wasn't good enough to justify not playing Gray and not playing with an offense suited to Gray.

Kill's going to use him and look very smart for doing so, I can't wait.

It will be fun to finally see him as a full-time quarterback.

Coach Kill has a ton of work in front of him to develop a Gopher QB as complete as Harnish and a solid running game with Spann.. Gray may be a better runner but Harnish can deliver the ball. Both in the pocket and on the run. Gray has the tools but he is very, very raw and inexperienced. I expect Coach Kill to custom fit and tone down his offense to Grays abilities. Gopher fans will have some very high expectations for Marquis and I hope he can quickly grasp the system, get comfortable running the offense. The fast development of our young OL will be a major need.

With Gray there will be some bad plays and big mistakes next year because due to Brewster's unjustified loyalty to Weber, Gray will basically be half way through a freshman season experience wise. We have to understand that it will most likely be a rocky start but he will be a playmaker after a couple full games. He is a pure athlete and a strong competitor, that showed in all those big 3rd down runs vs Iowa this past season. Grays ability to create with arm and legs will give us chances to win big games in the big ten next year. It is a true waste we will only get 2 full seasons out of him.

I will be really curious to see how well Gray throws the ball. If he does throw it consistently well out of the gate, it will really add more skepticism to the fact that Weber played every game he could.

I am very excited to see Gray at QB and what Kill can do with him there.

The only regret that I have is that Weber didn't have that opportunity to play under a group of very solid and stable coaches like Kill and his presumed staff. Weber gets so much crap on this board, and I would get extremely frustrated with him too, with his innaccuracies and errant throws and with his sometimes boneheaded choices and decisions on the field. Those were very frustrating, but i have to believe that he got jerked around so much in his college career that it seriously impeded his development, with changing coordinators, changing schemes, and changing expectations for what he was asked to do out there, and that held him back badly. And a big part of my frustration is the fact that in my opinion he is nowhere near the player he could and should have been.

Seeing him play his freshman year, he looked to be a natural. He was a very instinctive and very heady player who was great out of the pocket and a significant threat to run the ball, set tons of school passing and offensive records and just seemed to have this certain 'it' factor that led myself and many others to believe that if he could be that good as a freshman in the Big Ten, then the sky was the limit for him, and that by his senior season he might be an absolute star player and unquestionably the best Gophers quarterback I've seen in my lifetime, and that seemed eminently reasonable at that time based upon how truly good he looked as a player and assuming a natural upward progression as he gained even more experience in big time college football.

But then they pulled out the rug from underneath him and started yanking him around, and he was never the same after that. He stopped running, it seemed like he stopped displaying much of that natural instinctive feel for the game he'd shown his freshman year, and he just changed. It seemed like he was thinking too much or something and became a really mechanical QB.

It's just damning as all hell of Brewster and his staff that all you saw after the brilliant freshman season that Weber put up was a continued regression throughout the rest of his career. It's a fricken shame is what it is. I've talked about this before and I don't mean to beat this or any other topic into the ground, but it just gets to me sometimes how much heat Weber used to take from us fans, when the reality is that he's the person who got screwed over most of all, and I can't help but wonder how he might have fared and what heights he might have attained if he'd been granted someone like a Coach Kill to develop him as a QB and teach him and make him even better throughout his college career, like the way it's supposed to work.

Anyway, yes. Long story short, I can't wait to see Gray next year. The season can't get here soon enough far as I'm concerned. :clap:

Weber is not an accurate passer. Coaching has very little to do with that. You throw the way you throw for the most part and it's tough to change. He has a terrible high delivery and that's why he's so erratic. Fisch tried to correct it, and that gets blamed for Weber's inaccuracy, but that's not true. He has a lot of other things you'd like in a QB which is why he played so much.

Weber is not an accurate passer. Coaching has very little to do with that. You throw the way you throw for the most part and it's tough to change. He has a terrible high delivery and that's why he's so erratic. Fisch tried to correct it, and that gets blamed for Weber's inaccuracy, but that's not true. He has a lot of other things you'd like in a QB which is why he played so much.

:clap:

The problem with Weber was, everyone saw his high yards and high TDs his freshman year and they assumed he was good...instead of actually watching the games.

:clap:

The problem with Weber was, everyone saw his high yards and high TDs his freshman year and they assumed he was good...instead of actually watching the games.

Uhm, no. I actually watched the games, and saw what looked to be a really promising player.

Uhm, no. I actually watched the games, and saw what looked to be a really promising player.

A promising player who threw bounce passes on hitches, slants, and tunnel screens....and also racked up one of the 20 highest interception numbers in a single season over the last decade of college football.

Well. Gray looked alright throwing the ball against Illinois, the receivers didn't do him any favors and penalties hurt him. The one pass I remember him throwing against Iowa was when he overthrew a receiver in the end zone.

It's an exciting time I suppose. I'm trying not to crown Marqueis just yet, I'm trying to temper my eternal optimism.

I am very hopeful that Gray will be special. A lot of people like to talk about his rushing in the Iowa game, but the memory I have is the missed pass on 3rd and goal in the first quarter. He will have to improve his accuracy if he is to become a player that can carry this team.

What if Gray can't do it?

Everyone has been delerious with the thought that Gray will lead us to the promised land next year, like he is going to be the next Cam Newton or something. Why? Three different offensive coordinators (or is it really four) have all seen what he has to offer and did not rush to get him under center. Even when the team clearly needed an offensive spark, he was only allowed to QB on rare occasion. Why? I cannot believe that three or four coaches whose livelihood depended on putting a winning team on the field would either bench him or move him to wideout if he was that good. The only evidence we have to date is that he hasn't been able to cut it. What is there that will cause us to believe that next year will be different? Spring practice is going to be interesting.

Gray does have a bit of a ways to go to become a really good passer. I think he will definitely struggle a bit with his accuracy, but we should be pretty used to that. Adam Weber wasn't a very accurate passer and a lot of his problems were his own (some of them coaching related). Hopefully we will be able to run the ball pretty well because then Gray could look like a pretty good passer. If we have teams in third and short/mediums, or on 2nd down and short I think Gray will look dynamic (at times passing). When teams are having to worry about us running, Gray running and everything else, he won't have to drop back and be a dynamic pro style Qb.

If we are facing a lot of 3rd and 10s, I think we can expect to see a lot of screens, draws, etc.

Ok people....it's official...Weber doesn't have any more playing time left...

and here you people go still trying to bash him. Poor form...VERY poor form on all of your parts.

So, what the h are you people going to do if Gray really sucks as a passer in 2011. Are you going to bash Gray the way you are still trying to bash Weber?????????????????

Gray may not be a very pretty passer. A lot will depend just how far along his offensive line comes and how good a running game he has going. He might be ok...or...he might really stink the joint out. People may be calling for any and everyone listed behind him on the depth chart.

Or, he may not have the durability of the former qb. Maybe he will get hurt and won't be able to play through the pain. Or, maybe he won't be able to pick up the reads and do the check offs and progressions. Maybe he won't "hang in there" and will take off running when he should have been letting the routes develope. Maybe his receivers won't run good routes. Maybe he will be running for his life so much he won't have the time to throw perfect passes all the time. Maybe he'll throw a lot of pick sixes.

You bashers had better be careful. There are so many things that can go wrong with a passing game unless there is a good to great running game going on.

Personally I think it sucked when you people bashed Weber. I think it will suck if Gray stinks the joint out as a passer and you people start bashing him. But, you will be held accountable by good, honest posters.

By the way, Weber holds a hell of a lot of passing records and he was durable as could be. He always got himself ready to play the next game.

So, bash Weber at your own peril. The next qb you may be bashing may be Gray. You fantasy football people had better wait to see what Gray looks like as a passer before you go bashing Weber any longer. You peope may be eating your bashes if things don't go too well.

Everyone has been delerious with the thought that Gray will lead us to the promised land next year, like he is going to be the next Cam Newton or something. Why? Three different offensive coordinators (or is it really four) have all seen what he has to offer and did not rush to get him under center. Even when the team clearly needed an offensive spark, he was only allowed to QB on rare occasion. Why? I cannot believe that three or four coaches whose livelihood depended on putting a winning team on the field would either bench him or move him to wideout if he was that good. The only evidence we have to date is that he hasn't been able to cut it. What is there that will cause us to believe that next year will be different? Spring practice is going to be interesting.

No one is saying he is going to be a savior and win the Big Ten title for this team.

I will say that I am excited to watch him play, even if he can't throw for crap he will be the most exciting player to watch on the Gophers since Lawrence Maroney.

And on another positive note, the program is finally moving forward from 4 years of Brewster/Weber. Change is a good thing in this case, even if it isn't change into an elite QB.

and here you people go still trying to bash him. Poor form...VERY poor form on all of your parts.

So, what the h are you people going to do if Gray really sucks as a passer in 2011. Are you going to bash Gray the way you are still trying to bash Weber?????????????????

Gray may not be a very pretty passer. A lot will depend just how far along his offensive line comes and how good a running game he has going. He might be ok...or...he might really stink the joint out. People may be calling for any and everyone listed behind him on the depth chart.

Or, he may not have the durability of the former qb. Maybe he will get hurt and won't be able to play through the pain. Or, maybe he won't be able to pick up the reads and do the check offs and progressions. Maybe he won't "hang in there" and will take off running when he should have been letting the routes develope. Maybe his receivers won't run good routes. Maybe he will be running for his life so much he won't have the time to throw perfect passes all the time. Maybe he'll throw a lot of pick sixes.

You bashers had better be careful. There are so many things that can go wrong with a passing game unless there is a good to great running game going on.

Personally I think it sucked when you people bashed Weber. I think it will suck if Gray stinks the joint out as a passer and you people start bashing him. But, you will be held accountable by good, honest posters.

By the way, Weber holds a hell of a lot of passing records and he was durable as could be. He always got himself ready to play the next game.

So, bash Weber at your own peril. The next qb you may be bashing may be Gray. You fantasy football people had better wait to see what Gray looks like as a passer before you go bashing Weber any longer. You peope may be eating your bashes if things don't go too well.

Who is bashing Weber?
Telling it like it is isn't bashing Weber. I simply stated that the problem with gopher fans on Weber is that so many saw a lot of yards and TDs and freshman year and assumed he had potential to be a great QB. I said if you had watched carefully you would have seen that he did not.

If you have a problem with me talking football, go find a new message board.

I am finally back in town after traveling for work the past couple of days. I was at the Kill presser before I headed to the airport. The first player he mentioned by name was Gray. I too am excited to see what Gray can do in this offense. However, the young OL is going to be a MAJOR concern. Remember how most of us made the assumption that this years young, but presumably more talented defense, would be better than last years? Whoops. I certainly hope that is not the case with the OL and the kids who have redshirted live up to the billing. That will go a LONG way to making Gray more successful.

It is nice to have a QB with mobility and escapability with the lack of experience on the OL.

W, your point is invalid because yes, they will. Don't worry.

Actually, people already bash the passing abilities of Gray. It's obvious Weber is a far better pure passer than Marqueis - and almost all would admit as much on this board. Fortunately for the 2011 Gophers, we hopefully won't need as accurate a thrower as we needed in 2010.

I too am excited to see Gray QB this team. I think we are going to be amazed at how talented he is both as a runner and a passer. I think Kill will know how to leverage his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. Gray is the guy that's going to put fear in other coaches minds.

Gray didn't play for Brewster because Brewster has always been a one QB man (he said so when he was hired) and he had picked his man. Nothing else mattered.

I think Brewster ruined Weber by playing him too much. As Seany mentioned, his freshman year was really very good. But it was his peak year. Brewster never substituted and I just think the never ending responsibility of leading a team, the countless sacks, the hurries, etc. just took something out of him. He started what 51 games. He played nearly the entire 55-0 Iowa shellacking. He had surgery and was back at it the next game. I think eventually your subconscious starts to tell you "no". And you mentally just get tired. Playing him in hopeless situations, playing him when he wasn't playing well, etc. affected him and the whole team. Ever wonder why the entire team seemed to pep up and play harder when Gray was QB? Changing things up can spark a team...every good coach knows that.

But you know what...if he's not playing very well, I hope Kill puts in Alipate or someone else for a whole series or quarter or whatever. And I think he's smart enough to do that when it's needed.

I am very excited to see Gray at QB and what Kill can do with him there.

But then they pulled out the rug from underneath him and started yanking him around, and he was never the same after that. He stopped running, it seemed like he stopped displaying much of that natural instinctive feel for the game he'd shown his freshman year, and he just changed. It seemed like he was thinking too much or something and became a really mechanical QB.

Many people forget that Weber hurt his knee vs Illinois his soph. year. That's when his running all changed in my mind. 7-1 with NW and Mich at home, that could have been something that year.

heady player who was a significant threat to set tons of school passing and offensive records

You & I watched two different QB's brother. I saw an exciting, but raw athlete who was 6-15 for 60 yards on the season with 1 TD, 1 Int & some fumbles. Baby steps, but nothing to make me think he'd be breaking tons of school passing records.

I think 2 years under Kill is going to definitely enhance Gray's draft value.

What would be the pro's and con's of using Gray in the pistol formation? What formations did Kill use in NIU?

What would be the pro's and con's of using Gray in the pistol formation? What formations did Kill use in NIU?

This pistol is used in order to provide the downhill running style of the I formation in contrast to the lateral movement used out of the regular gun. It also allows for balanced formations out of the gun due to the fact the RB is not on one side of the other (5 eligible receivers). There are some variations of the pistol that turn every single running play into a read where the QB has the option to pull the ball and run. The pistol will not be run exclusively, but it will be used because it adds many different ways to attack a defense. The only con I could see from using the pistol formation would be if they became to obsessed with certain elements of a gameplan and it ended up limiting how they attack a defense. There really are no con's of implementing different schemes until you reach the point of having too much for the players minds to deal with.

Kill will run some I.
Kill will run some Gun.
Kill will run some Pistol.
I think Kill even runs a little singleback.

I'm not bashing Weber...its really too bad that he didn't stay in Dunbar's system in the shotgun, that's where he did the best. Weber gave it everything he had, and I respect him for everything he gave. Gray with his running alone will make everyone around him better. Let's put Gray in the gun, put him in the pistol and let him do his thing.

I'm not bashing Weber...its really too bad that he didn't stay in Dunbar's system in the shotgun, that's where he did the best. Weber gave it everything he had, and I respect him for everything he gave. Gray with his running alone will make everyone around him better. Let's put Gray in the gun, put him in the pistol and let him do his thing.

Weber's best season was his senior season. I realize he had some rushing yards his FR season to go along with an ok season throwing the ball. In Weber's SR season he threw the ball downfield a bit more and limited INTs. At least I think he would have been best served running the Horton-type offense of his SR season all the way through.

Who is bashing Weber?
Telling it like it is isn't bashing Weber. I simply stated that the problem with gopher fans on Weber is that so many saw a lot of yards and TDs and freshman year and assumed he had potential to be a great QB. I said if you had watched carefully you would have seen that he did not.

If you have a problem with me talking football, go find a new message board.

If you're going to "tell it like it is," then you need to do so. Weber was still a better option than Gray because Gray is a terrible thrower. Terrible. And I love Gray as a player.

Gray could have been a sub-.500 passer, easy.

He needs to carry that ball around with him all off-season and toss it to anyone that's willing.

Weber was the best option at quarterback without changing the whole offense. Again. Watch some college football. There are a lot of QB's who bounced passes on a lot of teams. He might have not had all the ability that we wished for, but he was A LEADER, and tough as nails.

Time to move on and embrace the future.

Bingo.

If you're going to "tell it like it is," then you need to do so. Weber was still a better option than Gray because Gray is a terrible thrower. Terrible. And I love Gray as a player.

Gray could have been a sub-.500 passer, easy.

He needs to carry that ball around with him all off-season and toss it to anyone that's willing.

Weber was the best option at quarterback without changing the whole offense. Again. Watch some college football. There are a lot of QB's who bounced passes on a lot of teams. He might have not had all the ability that we wished for, but he was A LEADER, and tough as nails.

Time to move on and embrace the future.

Harumph!

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Count me as one who is very excited to see Gray at QB, particularly in Kill's offense, and has been looking forward to Gray at QB for a while. But there's no question Weber was the best option at QB for the last 50 starts. And it wasn't close.

Oh. And I love the one comment about "It is a true waste we will only get 2 full seasons out of (Gray)." Soooooo, the 42 catches for 587 yards and 5 TD's and 23 carries for 110 yards and one TD were a mirage this year? Yikes.

I'm curious, how long will it take for people to stop ripping Weber and start appreciateing his accomplishments?? It isn't his fault that Gray didn't impress coaches enough to apply real pressure. Lets move on, Gray is the present, Weber is the past.

Top Bottom