Mark Weisman

He's NOT faster than Marcus Coker.. Not sure why some fans have that flawed premise..Mainly due to Coker starting the 2011 season with a bad ankle sprain which limited his mobility. (We didnt have anyone else at RB that season)

He's NOT faster than Marcus Coker.. Not sure why some fans have that flawed premise..Mainly due to Coker starting the 2011 season with a bad ankle sprain which limited his mobility. (We didnt have anyone else at RB that season)

looked it up. stats say coker has a 4.59 40 and weisman a 4.7. end of story

i'm gonna go with the op is saying that he hasn't looked good by college RB standards of what you define as a great RB. his ypc are very very low often times so i'm guessing he's going with the "if anyone got 35 carries, they could have 145 yards" such as was the case against ISU. or against Neb when it took 29 carries to get 91, or against mich where he had 16 for 63. this isn't the nfl where 4 yds for a rb is impressive. that's what i'm guessing seany is getting at. relax and keep the semi chub for weisman down. sheesh

How about the 8.4 he averaged against the vaunted Minnesota Rush D last season?

The guy has 3 of the top 30 rushing games in the history of Iowa football and has only been the featured back for 8 games total in his career. He went into last week's game as the #3 rusher in the nation and comes into this week as #6 in the country, even though he only touched the ball 10 times in the last game. You're right, he is completely pedestrian.

looked it up. stats say coker has a 4.59 40 and weisman a 4.7. end of story

LOL, there has never been inaccurate 40 info posted on the Internet. What are you, like 12? That is not even getting into how little a 40 time can translate into actual football speed and things like how quickly an RB hits the hole.

He was definitely faster last year than Coker was in 2011. The difference was rather striking, actually. Coker in 2011 is the measure by which all "slow" RBs shall henceforth be measured. Compared to that, Weisman is a freaking track star.

The guy has 3 of the top 30 rushing games in the history of Iowa football and has only been the featured back for 8 games total in his career. He went into last week's game as the #3 rusher in the nation and comes into this week as #6 in the country, even though he only touched the ball 10 times in the last game. You're right, he is completely pedestrian.

If you're looking for the mutual masturbation meeting about weisman, you're on the wrong website.

If you're looking for the mutual masturbation meeting about weisman, you're on the wrong website.

I just want some acknowledgement that the numbers he has put up in his extremely brief career have been incredible. I am not saying he is Barry Sanders, but if you can't understand how extremely effective he has been in Iowa's scheme, then you quite simply do not understand football.

i predict Cambell won't play quite as much as he did last saturday, he is 6-5 230 with a high center of gravity, When Weisman comes on an Iso play right down DeVondre's gap i will take Wiesman any day of the week over him, Arron Hill is a good size for an OLB against a downhill offense

In practice Campbell made the hardest hit I've seen all season. He is a beast and he will blow up Weisman

He was definitely faster last year than Coker was in 2011. The difference was rather striking, actually. Coker in 2011 is the measure by which all "slow" RBs shall henceforth be measured. Compared to that, Weisman is a freaking track star.

You have no idea what you're talking about. No he was not..Coker was a step quicker in his acceleration..

12 games 281 carries 1417 yards 4.9 ypc 115.3 ypg

Including 32 carries for 252 yds 7.9 ypc vs Minnesota in 2011 as he got healthier. You have to remember he only started TWO games before the 2011 season and should have been a RS FR in 2011. He was a lot quicker than Weisman when healthy. He was bigger than Weisman too.

Watch the tape:

http://btn.com/2011/10/29/gophers-upset-hawkeyes-22-21/

I just want some acknowledgement that the numbers he has put up in his extremely brief career have been incredible. I am not saying he is Barry Sanders, but if you can't understand how extremely effective he has been in Iowa's scheme, then you quite simply do not understand football.

Incredible and effective are two completely different things. I posted this in another thread for you:

- He's had 10 games where he's had at least 10 carries in his career. Only 4 times has he averaged 5.0 yards a carry or higher.
- Of the top 9 rushers in the Big Ten so far, only one averages less than 6.2 yards a carry. That would be Weisman at 4.9.
- Of the top 50 rushers in the country, he is ranked 43rd in yards per carry.

I stand by my opinion. He's a big back and a grinder. He very well may gash the Gophers defense once again. Stopping him will be very critical on Saturday. But, in my opinion, he's been a solid, but not great back so far.

How about the 8.4 he averaged against the vaunted Minnesota Rush D last season?

K cool story dude. how many guys from that defensive front 7 that was brutal are starting this year? wilson and campbell are better than any LB we had rostered last year. Hageman is a year better stuffing the run up the middle. I couldn't give 2 sh_ts what he did against us last year as it has ZERO bearing on this year. and if you can read, did i say that it was my opinion he can't run the ball? iwas trying to tell you what i'm guessing seany's logic was in the games he saw as rather pedestrian

LOL, there has never been inaccurate 40 info posted on the Internet. What are you, like 12? That is not even getting into how little a 40 time can translate into actual football speed and things like how quickly an RB hits the hole.

you said "faster" not quicker. you know the only thing that the 40 measures? how FAST you are. you wanna talk quickness, then i'd look at shuttle times and his explosiveness and acceleration. i'm just working with the solid arguments you give me bud

Weisman did run for 5.1 ypc last year getting over 800 yards in 10 games..4 of them at starting TB. He started the first three games as a blocking FB

He's an effective battering ram behind that OL..He'd be one hell of a Wing-T fullback..old time football.

It's no secret Iowa's football fortunes went downhill last season after the LT (Scherff-Broken ankle) and LG (Donnal-ACL) both had season ending injuries vs Penn State.

Iowa was a mess last year chemistry wise and the QB play was poor and the WRs were young and inexperienced. (they still are)

I think Ferentz has learned that being stubborn isnt always a good trait and his game management tactics need work. He's a great developer of talent and from Sunday to Friday he's worth every penny he's paid. It's on Saturday where he needs to adapt a bit. Fans were seething in 2011 vs Minnesota because they had no business losing that game..especially if you have a RB running wild like that.

you said "faster" not quicker. you know the only thing that the 40 measures? how FAST you are. you wanna talk quickness, then i'd look at shuttle times and his explosiveness and acceleration. i'm just working with the solid arguments you give me bud

The 40 time is a measure of quickness or burst as well.

A RB doesn't need a blazing 100m dash or 40 time but the ability to get at top speed in a hurry. That "burst" seems to be what separates the elite guys from others. Scholarship backs vs walk-ons

A RB doesn't need a blazing 100m dash or 40 time but the ability to get at top speed in a hurry. That "burst" seems to be what separates the elite guys from others. Scholarship backs vs walk-ons

Are we talking hand-timed or electric?

K cool story dude. how many guys from that defensive front 7 that was brutal are starting this year? wilson and campbell are better than any LB we had rostered last year. Hageman is a year better stuffing the run up the middle. I couldn't give 2 sh_ts what he did against us last year as it has ZERO bearing on this year. and if you can read, did i say that it was my opinion he can't run the ball? iwas trying to tell you what i'm guessing seany's logic was in the games he saw as rather pedestrian

IMO Hageman is a good DT but is more of a potential NFL player with his athleticism than a dominating college football player at this point.

Seems like both teams have young DL guys that have improved a bit. Iowa has a few players that played in that 2011 game on defense still...The entire LB corps, the FS and DE.

i agree a 40 doesn't necessarily translate well to football as its not real often you run 40 yards. and in terms of burst, it does do a little for you, but a guy with elite top end speed can still catch the slow guy that gets off the line quick. that's my only reason i'd take shuttle over the 40 for burst.

IMO Hageman is a good DT but is more of a potential NFL player with his athleticism than a dominating college football player at this point.

Seems like both teams have young DL guys that have improved a bit. Iowa has a few players that played in that 2011 game on defense still...The entire LB corps, the FS and DE.

hageman finally seems to be coming into his own and thus far has been more disruptive than he's ever been. he's batting down passes, has blocked 2 kicks, and has man-handled his guys many times opening up LB's and DE's for big plays. obviously saturday will be more of a true test and i'm not saying he's dominant yet, but he's definitely better than just a good DT. unless we just have vastly different definitions lol

I guess we will see some Big10 play

We lost to NIU but manhandled their OL and DL up front. The OL got a lot of push but instead of running on 3rd and 1 during 2 crucial situations we got cute and called a low percentage bomb play and a bubble screen that was dropped. Just gave up too many big plays..frustrating Should have won by two TDs

Like Ferentz said.."We need to learn how to win"

Does it really matter if it is hand timed or FAT (electric)?

It's a measure of straight line quickness while the shuttle is lateral quickness.

How tall is Weisman, and do you know if he was measured barefoot or in shoes?

Does it really matter if it is hand timed or FAT (electric)?

It's a measure of straight line quickness while the shuttle is lateral quickness.

Since you've been respectful it is one of the boards inside jokes.

"...regardless of what his 40 time is I think it is safe to say he is not a burner." Speed is not the only useful characteristic of a good runner.

"...regardless of what his 40 time is I think it is safe to say he is not a burner." Speed is not the only useful characteristic of a good runner.

No, and that's far from the only measure, see Emmitt Smith amongst a galaxy of others

What is immeasurable are heart and desire, along with other such intangible factors as that, and Weisman's definitely got that working in his favor. He's the heart of a lion, but no matter, you hit him, and hit him, and hit him, wrap him up, put helmet to thigh, and make him hurt. Make him fear every carry, as there are not going to be such wide-open lanes before him, not this time, and how if there is ever a time to get a stop, well than this is it, and it is there.

No, and that's far from the only measure, see Emmitt Smith amongst a galaxy of others

What is immeasurable are heart and desire, along with other such intangible factors as that, and Weisman's definitely got that working in his favor. He's the heart of a lion, but no matter, you hit him, and hit him, and hit him, wrap him up, put helmet to thigh, and make him hurt. Make him fear every carry, as there are not going to be such wide-open lanes before him, not this time, and how if there is ever a time to get a stop, well than this is it, and it is there.

for some reason people keep saying this, but i can't really see it happening to weisman. way too much heart, grit, and chip on his shoulder for that imho

To be a dominating DT I look at two things. Whether or not he's drawing double teams and how many tackles for loss he has. Hageman has drawn double teams the majority of plays I've paid attention, and he leads the big ten in tackles for loss. I'd definitely call him dominant so far. The question is can he be dominant now that the competition is taking a step up?

Your description of him I would've agreed with last year, but this year has been different. We'll see if it continues.

Not sure if this is the saddest or funniest thing I have ever read. Are you from Iowa or North Dakota?

MN Daily: Gophers prepare for stud RB Weisman
Mark Weisman ran for 177 yards and a score against the Gophers last year.

“He’s a big back,” Gophers head coach Jerry Kill said. “He’s hard to tackle, got good bounce, great vision and he fits into what they do.”

“To take him down, it’s going to take everything,” Vereen said. “We’re going to have to swarm tackle. We’re going to have to play sound defense.”

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/football/2013/09/26/gophers-prepare-stud-rb-weisman

Go Gophers!!

I hope the bigger better Gophers defense will allow them to stay in their lanes and just stuff the run. I think our secondary can stay with their receivers (they are not going to be as talented as SJSU in that regard), as long as we can keep from getting gashed by their rushing attack.

Top Bottom