Mark Weisman

Seany

Reaction score
Despite carrying it only 10 times last week in their blowout win, he is still leading the nation in number of rushes this season with 95. I think based upon last year's sad result, we're probably due to see a healthy dose of Weisman this Saturday, but this time am hoping, praying for and anticipating a much better outcome so far as stopping that turkey. I was frankly embarrassed to see him gash our defense like that last year, I mean we about made him look like Earl Campbell Part Deaux, but the reality is this kid was recruited as a fullback, he is a fullback, with what, 4.8-4.9 speed?

And the fact he shredded our defense for 177 yards and 8.4 yards per carry was just simply shameful, especially given the fact he looked so terribly ordinary against everyone else (save for a woeful Central Michigan team) in 2012, in fact against everyone else, he looked just exactly like the fullback he really is, and again, this is not Mike Alstott here, and not even close.

So to me, how we perform against him (and by obvious extension their offensive line) is going to be somewhat of a bellwether and a serious tell for our defense this season, because if we cannot stop borderline mediocrities such as that, much, much better than we did last season, well, then obviously, it's going to be a long, long, long and frustrating year.

Just had to get that out my system, because I honestly about bloody heaved watching that debacle last season, and it all brought that back up again watching it off the DVR last night.

I give kudos to that kid for his determination and hard-working nature, and that's the type of player any team would be fortunate to have (and on that note, I would love him if he were a Gopher), but this is hardly a game-breaking back by any stretch the imagination, and the fact our defense made him look like such, well, that's on them, and I'm sure they do remember, as it's kind of hard to forget having the ball shoved right down your throat, and with no reply at all, so the next iteration our progression has to be, we have got, got, got to put a stop to that, please, for love of f*cking God, put a stop!

You can't tackle the kid around the shoulders. Ralis had a horrible game against him last year. You have too " Lawn Boy " him and get him before he gets a head of steam.

Despite carrying it only 10 times last week in their blowout win, he is still leading the nation in number of rushes this season with 95. I think based upon last year's sad result, we're probably due to see a healthy dose of Weisman this Saturday, but this time am hoping, praying for and anticipating a much better outcome so far as stopping that turkey. I was frankly embarrassed to see him gash our defense like that last year, I mean we about made him look like Earl Campbell Part Deaux, but the reality is this kid was recruited as a fullback, he is a fullback, with what, 4.8-4.9 speed?

And the fact he shredded our defense for 177 yards and 8.4 yards per carry was just simply shameful, especially given the fact he looked so terribly ordinary against everyone else (save for a woeful Central Michigan team) in 2012, in fact against everyone else, he looked just exactly like the fullback he really is, and again, this is not Mike Alstott here, and not even close.

So to me, how we perform against him (and by obvious extension their offensive line) is going to be somewhat of a bellwether and a serious tell for our defense this season, because if we cannot stop borderline mediocrities such as that, much, much better than we did last season, well, then obviously, it's going to be a long, long, long and frustrating year.

Just had to get that out my system, because I honestly about bloody heaved watching that debacle last season, and it all brought that back up again watching it off the DVR last night.

I give kudos to that kid for his determination and hard-working nature, and that's the type of player any team would be fortunate to have (and on that note, I would love him if he were a Gopher), but this is hardly a game-breaking back by any stretch the imagination, and the fact our defense made him look like such, well, that's on them, and I'm sure they do remember, as it's kind of hard to forget having the ball shoved right down your throat, and with no reply at all, so the next iteration our progression has to be, we have got, got, got to put a stop to that, please, for love of f*cking God, put a stop!

4.9?? Where are you getting that? If you actually pull up his 2012 stats, he destroyed everyone he played against until he got hurt in the Michigan State game. Oh ya, he was already over 100 yards for the day against MSU in EL when that happened. He was never the same back after that, come back too quickly and re-injured his ankle vs. NW I believe. If he is 100% on Sat., I'm afraid we are in for a world of hurt, as their OL looks even better than what he ran behind last year and they are certainly throwing the ball better in '13 as they are now in year 2 of a new offense. My brother goes to ISU, so I went to the IA/ISU game in Ames, and the dude is going to be a problem given how we have not really stopped the run well this year.

4.9?? Where are you getting that? If you actually pull up his 2012 stats, he destroyed everyone he played against until he got hurt in the Michigan State game. Oh ya, he was already over 100 yards for the day against MSU in EL when that happened. He was never the same back after that, come back too quickly and re-injured his ankle vs. NW I believe. If he is 100% on Sat., I'm afraid we are in for a world of hurt, as their OL looks even better than what he ran behind last year and they are certainly throwing the ball better in '13 as they are now in year 2 of a new offense. My brother goes to ISU, so I went to the IA/ISU game in Ames, and the dude is going to be a problem given how we have not really stopped the run well this year.

Well, I don't actually know his 40 times, so yes, that was just a guess, and to clarify, I was not dissing the player, but in fact stated I'd love him one of our own, and how any team would.

But I will not back off my statement of what I saw, and that of a slow-ass yet powerful back simply ripping us a new one, with absolutely gaping holes with which to run through, and if you see that as being an impressive performance by a running back, then great for you, but what I see is just a massive indictment upon the defense which could allow such gaping holes, and just re-watching it last night, I cannot even begin to count the number of missed tackles, the hand on, arm around, up high, just the weakest of efforts at tackling, when a back with a low center of gravity such as that, you know and are taught from grade school to tackle low and wrap him right the hell up.

Again RE: his times, I guess we'll see when he makes it to the combine, provided he ever makes it that far, which given his rate of usage and overall talent and skill-set, is questionable at best. This is a fullback being worked like a tailback, and even tailbacks worked so heavily in college, they're basically leaving their best years behind them, and that is proven fact. There are only so many carries in any pair of human legs, and only so many hits the body can take, before it all begins to go away, and how Ferentz might blow that all away before he ever even gets there.

I'm glad that you're a fan of Weisman, and to reiterate (once again), I think he's a fine player and a credit to any team, but what I saw originally and what was refreshed to me last night were just garden variety draws and pulls to a garden-variety back to which any B10 back worth his caliber could have ripped, and they would have, and such was the sorry state that defense that day, and to a fullback, no less, and how you can slap lipstick on a pig (nyuk), but how it's still simply pig nonetheless.

I smell Hawkeye poo-tang....

Wow. I guess I wasn't quite paying attention to the possibility of trolls, so caught unaware once again..

The point stands irregardless, troll or no.

If this team is to ever, ever to make a step upward, these are the types of things they have to fix and have to change, and how they cannot let such ringing mediocrity as that ever roll over them again.

Stuff Weisman, pop him, stick him, make him hurt, drive, and drive, and drive, and win.

Just win.

WE huh?

As I recall last years game and his 177 yards, about 100-115 of those yards came on 3-4 runs to the left side of Iowa's line where there was absolutely no one home on defense. Not to take away from the kid because I think he is a descent ball player but any college running back would have gotten those yards, he was not touched on any of those 3-4 runs until he was about 25 yards down field and regardless of what his 40 time is I think it is safe to say he is not a burner. Smart play calls either by Vandenberg at the line or the Iowa OC seeing something in our defense that could be and consequently was exploited. His other 20+ carries in that game averaged about 3 yards per carry. Hopefully this year the Gophers can have a better defensive scheme and game plan to limit and contain those big plays.

I wouldn't call him a speedster.

In the first 4 games his longest run in a game is 37 yards and that came against Missouri State (0-4 MVC). Good lord, they had to run him 30 times that game to win by 2 td's. In the other 3 games his long for the game is around 14 - 16.

So far this year, Iowa has been pretty average running the ball. As a team, they average 4.5 yards a carry compared to the 5.7 yards by the Gophers. Weisman averaged just 4.1 yards a carry against an Iowa St. team that allowed N. Iowa to run for nearly 7 yards a carry just a few weeks before.

They may have a good game running the ball Saturday, but I think our running game has been more effective so far this year.

He's basically Mitch Leidner with bigger shoulder pads...

As I recall last years game and his 177 yards, about 100-115 of those yards came on 3-4 runs to the left side of Iowa's line where there was absolutely no one home on defense. Not to take away from the kid because I think he is a descent ball player but any college running back would have gotten those yards, he was not touched on any of those 3-4 runs until he was about 25 yards down field and regardless of what his 40 time is I think it is safe to say he is not a burner. Smart play calls either by Vandenberg at the line or the Iowa OC seeing something in our defense that could be and consequently was exploited. His other 20+ carries in that game averaged about 3 yards per carry. Hopefully this year the Gophers can have a better defensive scheme and game plan to limit and contain those big plays.

Correct. We actually played Weisman pretty well the majority of plays, but massive breakdowns in alignment or missed tackles allowed him to have some big runs. Those plays will definitely be shown on film this week and hopefully we make the proper adjustments. Our D-line is a little bigger and more physical this year, and a big difference IMO is having Wilson at MLB instead of Rallis, who just flat out wasn't very good. Not to mention this game is at home. Those are all reasons I think we'll play better run D this time around.

Ferenz exploited Rallis on those 3 plays. Rallis always seemed to get caught up in the "wash" and it would usually equate to a big gainer. Love or hate Ferenz, he did a nice job of scouting and exploiting our Line Backers.

Is there any way the Gophers can just forfeit now to avoid injuries? I'd hate to see our lads have to meet up against this type of juggernaut. If he destroys everyone he plays against, I think we should just call him Godzilla and spare the Gopher players for other games where they might avoid being destroyed like all the other teams in the twisted wreckage left behind this rolling catastrophe on cleats.

Is there any way the Gophers can just forfeit now to avoid injuries? I'd hate to see our lads have to meet up against this type of juggernaut. If he destroys everyone he plays against, I think we should just call him Godzilla and spare the Gopher players for other games where they might avoid being destroyed like all the other teams in the twisted wreckage left behind this rolling catastrophe on cleats.

Don't mock a math major. He's smarter than you, and he knows it.

to try to even compare our run D, in terms of lb's anyway, it is not even a question that this year's lb's flow better and have a better nose for the ball. i don't expect weisman to have anywhere near the day he had last year unless he has 15 more carries

to try to even compare our run D, in terms of lb's anyway, it is not even a question that this year's lb's flow better and have a better nose for the ball. i don't expect weisman to have anywhere near the day he had last year unless he has 15 more carries

I'll call it.
AIRBHG strikes.

I'll call it.
AIRBHG strikes.

CrfQXqZ.jpg

Weisman is a tough runner but he does lack top end speed. I've been to three Iowa games so far this season and I'll be at the Iowa-MN game Saturday (stop by the Gold lot if you want a beer)

Weisman has been serviceable does well with the skills he has. Iowa has had a lot of attrition at the RB position (along with others) over the last 3-4 years and he's done an admirable job of getting the most out of his talent. He does leave a lot of yards on the field though. Brandon Wegher or Shonn Greene probably would have gotten 20-30 yards out of some of gaping holes out there. Weisman will get maybe 10-15 yards.

Iowa has been a fairly young team the last couple years due to higher than usual levels of attrition. Especially at key positions to their overall philosophy. (DL, OL and RB) OL is still young and inexperienced at some spots but we're much more experienced and physical than last year. The same goes for the DL as well.

Someone mentioned earlier that Weisman got most of his yards running off the LT. That is true because Iowa's best OL player is a road grader at LT. His name is Brandon Scherff (#68). He's a 6-5 315lb JR that was injured most of the year last season. He just may be the strongest LT we've had at Iowa from a strength standpoint. Iowa's top 2 OL players both went down in the PSU game (lost for the season) They're both back as JRs this season. He's an extremely physical player with a mean streak. After he was hurt in the PSU game, the season went downhill due to a lack of a productive WR corps and terrible QB play.

The DL is a bit more experienced as well and we have depth along the DL for the first time since 2009. Carl Davis is a 6-5 315lb JR who mirrors Hageman's development. He's athletic but I'm not sure if he's quite as athletic as Hageman. He's more of a bull rusher, much like his backup RS FR Jaleel Johnson 6-2 300lbs. Louis Trinca-Pasat is another JR who is 6-2 295lbs and he's really come along since last season. #97 Darian Cooper (SO 6-1 290lbs) sees a lot of playing time at the DT position and has shown flashes. We're all high on him and his future development. DE/DT Faith Ekakitie ( RS FR#56 6-5 300lbs) is another guy that could see playing time after getting his first game action last week vs WMU. Our DE's are both fairly solid..much more so against the run than the pass. Drew Ott #95 is 6-5 270lbs while #76 Dominic Alvis is 6-4 265lbs. We tend to rush the QB with our front 4 and occasionally will blitz with our LBs if our DBs can cover the WRs man to man. In short, we're just more physical and stout up front than we have been for the last two seasons with our younger players finally developing.

Our DBs are a works in progress..We've got more depth and speed at CB than usual but safety play hasn't quite been up to Iowa standards the last 2-3 years. They've been prone to communications breakdowns (see NUI and ISU games) but they're fairly solid in run support..Especially Lowdermilk (#37) whose father was an OL for the Vikings back in the 80s and 90s.

LBs are probably the best unit on the defense. #20 Kirksey is the fastest and has made some big plays off the blitz and in pass coverage. #31 Hitchens is also quite fast and seems to rack up a lot of tackles. #44 is our MLB and he's a 3 year starter and should have an all-Big10 season if he stays healthy

Weisman can run but he can't hide from Campbell

i predict Cambell won't play quite as much as he did last saturday, he is 6-5 230 with a high center of gravity, When Weisman comes on an Iso play right down DeVondre's gap i will take Wiesman any day of the week over him, Arron Hill is a good size for an OLB against a downhill offense

Weisman is a tough runner but he does lack top end speed. I've been to three Iowa games so far this season and I'll be at the Iowa-MN game Saturday (stop by the Gold lot if you want a beer)

Weisman has been serviceable does well with the skills he has. Iowa has had a lot of attrition at the RB position (along with others) over the last 3-4 years and he's done an admirable job of getting the most out of his talent. He does leave a lot of yards on the field though. Brandon Wegher or Shonn Greene probably would have gotten 20-30 yards out of some of gaping holes out there. Weisman will get maybe 10-15 yards.

Iowa has been a fairly young team the last couple years due to higher than usual levels of attrition. Especially at key positions to their overall philosophy. (DL, OL and RB) OL is still young and inexperienced at some spots but we're much more experienced and physical than last year. The same goes for the DL as well.

Someone mentioned earlier that Weisman got most of his yards running off the LT. That is true because Iowa's best OL player is a road grader at LT. His name is Brandon Scherff (#68). He's a 6-5 315lb JR that was injured most of the year last season. He just may be the strongest LT we've had at Iowa from a strength standpoint. Iowa's top 2 OL players both went down in the PSU game (lost for the season) They're both back as JRs this season. He's an extremely physical player with a mean streak. After he was hurt in the PSU game, the season went downhill due to a lack of a productive WR corps and terrible QB play.

The DL is a bit more experienced as well and we have depth along the DL for the first time since 2009. Carl Davis is a 6-5 315lb JR who mirrors Hageman's development. He's athletic but I'm not sure if he's quite as athletic as Hageman. He's more of a bull rusher, much like his backup RS FR Jaleel Johnson 6-2 300lbs. Louis Trinca-Pasat is another JR who is 6-2 295lbs and he's really come along since last season. #97 Darian Cooper (SO 6-1 290lbs) sees a lot of playing time at the DT position and has shown flashes. We're all high on him and his future development. DE/DT Faith Ekakitie ( RS FR#56 6-5 300lbs) is another guy that could see playing time after getting his first game action last week vs WMU. Our DE's are both fairly solid..much more so against the run than the pass. Drew Ott #95 is 6-5 270lbs while #76 Dominic Alvis is 6-4 265lbs. We tend to rush the QB with our front 4 and occasionally will blitz with our LBs if our DBs can cover the WRs man to man. In short, we're just more physical and stout up front than we have been for the last two seasons with our younger players finally developing.

Our DBs are a works in progress..We've got more depth and speed at CB than usual but safety play hasn't quite been up to Iowa standards the last 2-3 years. They've been prone to communications breakdowns (see NUI and ISU games) but they're fairly solid in run support..Especially Lowdermilk (#37) whose father was an OL for the Vikings back in the 80s and 90s.

LBs are probably the best unit on the defense. #20 Kirksey is the fastest and has made some big plays off the blitz and in pass coverage. #31 Hitchens is also quite fast and seems to rack up a lot of tackles. #44 is our MLB and he's a 3 year starter and should have an all-Big10 season if he stays healthy

Great post. Thank you for the detailed info, and I wish I could be there to crack a beer, however I cannot, but will absolutely be there in spirit.

In absentia, forever maroon and gold. I bleed this team, and God bless them, always.

I'll add that Iowa will possibly be rotating 3-4 running backs. If they can get get into a situation where they can rotate 3-4 backs..they will

#5 Damon Bullock is a JR..more of an all-purpose back who is adept at catching passes out of the backfield. He'll often be lined up in the slot while Weisman is in the single back position. He's a bit of a slasher and has become more adept at letting the cutback lane develop and accelerating through the hole. He played as a freshman on special teams and RB out of necessity and started last season until getting hurt early on.

#33 SO Jordan Canzeri is more or less the jitterbug speedster type. If he has room to run, he can be pretty dangers. He's a bit like Berkley Edwards but with more experience. He started at RB during Iowa's last bowl game 2 years ago out of necessity. Missed all of last season due to an off-season injury.

#29 FR LeShun Daniels seems to be the kid everyone is looking to break out and become a star. He's 5-10 225 bs but is quicker/faster than Weisman and really smooth. He's built in the mold of guys like Ray Rice, Shonn Greene or Travis Henry. Perhaps the fan favorite at RB but still relatively untested and quite young. He definitely will move the pile though and his a load to bring down. He's the son of former MN Vikings OG LeShun Daniels.

Our TE's have been getting more play this year with our OC Greg Davis incorporating more vertical passing plays and TE sets than last season. We got away from the play action and TE safety valves last year and it was reflected in our W/L record. We're a bit different this year in the fact that Iowa's rotating about 3-4 TEs depending on the situation and package.

#86 CJ Fedorowicz (6-7 260) is a SR TE that the pros are high on but he's been really inconsistent. He was a prize recruit 4 years ago. (4-star) When he wants to, he can be a very, very good run blocker and he's tough to defend on jump balls in the end zone. Has a huge catch radius.

#82 6-4 255 JR Ray Hamilton might be our best TE. He's another guy that was a four-star recruit out of HS but brings something different to the table.. He can really run and block..Reminds me a lot of Brandon Myers..

#46 RS FR 6-5 230 George Kittle has seen a bit of playing time this year an brings a bit of speed to the H-back position when Iowa lines up in that formation. He's been pretty good on special teams and can get down the field in a hurry.

#87 SO 6-4 245lb Jake Duzey also gets a lot of playing time and can play both the H-back and TE positions.

You'll likely see Iowa come out in a lot of 2 TE formations with the TB and FB and try to control the LOS. I'm guessing MN will try to stack the box and get more defenders in the gap and disrupt the zone blocking scheme. This is where the play action passing game can be effective. So MN will have to guard against that.

Also, on defense it's been said that #19 BJ Lowery could potentially be the best CB to play at Iowa ..especially during the Ferentz era. He's played pretty well this season w/the exception of a missed tackle that led to a long TD vs ISU. He's had three interceptions in the last 4 games including two pick sixes last weekend vs WMU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tik1kDlPt80

Of course our safeties are trailing the play... :mad:

Ummmmmmm.......he has only been the #1 RB at Iowa for 8 games now. He has gone for over 100 in 6 of those games (over 175 3 different times), had about 90 some against Nebraska last year, and the other game was last weekend where he only carried the ball 10 times due to the circumstances of the game (severe blowout in Iowa's favor). He didn't get his first carry as a RB until the 2nd half of the Week 3 last year, went for over 100 in that half, went for 200+ the next week against CMU, 175+ against the Gophers, over 100 against one of the 5 best defenses in all of football at Michigan State, then was hurt for the rest of the season until Nebraska, where he had 90+. He started this year with 3 straight 100+ games (180 in Week 2 and 145 against Iowa State in Week 3).

Please enlighten everyone in exactly which games he has looked poorly in as the starting RB, cause I must have been too drunk or slept through them. You are correct that he's not real fast, but he is definitely faster than our previous #1 RB, Marcus Coker, who I personally saw go for over 250 in a bad Iowa loss in our last trip to The Bank. Iowa sure has had success the last couple of years exploiting the Gopher rush D with our slower-than-molasses fullback/tailback hybrids. Pretty sneaky of us, and something tells me that we'll be able to do it again this year.

Ummmmmmm.......he has only been the #1 RB at Iowa for 8 games now. He has gone for over 100 in 6 of those games (over 175 3 different times), had about 90 some against Nebraska last year, and the other game was last weekend where he only carried the ball 10 times due to the circumstances of the game (severe blowout in Iowa's favor). He didn't get his first carry as a RB until the 2nd half of the Week 3 last year, went for over 100 in that half, went for 200+ the next week against CMU, 175+ against the Gophers, over 100 against one of the 5 best defenses in all of football at Michigan State, then was hurt for the rest of the season until Nebraska, where he had 90+. He started this year with 3 straight 100+ games (180 in Week 2 and 145 against Iowa State in Week 3).

Please enlighten everyone in exactly which games he has looked poorly in as the starting RB, cause I must have been too drunk or slept through them. You are correct that he's not real fast, but he is definitely faster than our previous #1 RB, Marcus Coker, who I personally saw go for over 250 in a bad Iowa loss in our last trip to The Bank. Iowa sure has had success the last couple of years exploiting the Gopher rush D with our slower-than-molasses fullback/tailback hybrids. Pretty sneaky of us, and something tells me that we'll be able to do it again this year.

i'm gonna go with the op is saying that he hasn't looked good by college RB standards of what you define as a great RB. his ypc are very very low often times so i'm guessing he's going with the "if anyone got 35 carries, they could have 145 yards" such as was the case against ISU. or against Neb when it took 29 carries to get 91, or against mich where he had 16 for 63. this isn't the nfl where 4 yds for a rb is impressive. that's what i'm guessing seany is getting at. relax and keep the semi chub for weisman down. sheesh

Wow. I guess I wasn't quite paying attention to the possibility of trolls, so caught unaware once again..

The point stands irregardless, troll or no.

If this team is to ever, ever to make a step upward, these are the types of things they have to fix and have to change, and how they cannot let such ringing mediocrity as that ever roll over them again.

Stuff Weisman, pop him, stick him, make him hurt, drive, and drive, and drive, and win.

Just win.

You simply missed the reference. Relax homey.

Top Bottom