Mark Coyle is headed to Chicago after Saturday’s game to meet with fellow Big Ten ADs to determine football schedules for the 2023 season.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Greder:

Mark Coyle is headed to Chicago after Saturday’s game to meet with fellow Big Ten ADs to determine football schedules for the 2023 season.

Coyle said on the KFXN-FM pregame show that a few of the subjects to be figured out include the future of divisions and whether they keep nine-game conference schedules.

Minnesota’s future schedules previously were available online, but with the changes on the horizon in the conference, the U has taken them off its website.

Southern California and UCLA will join the conference in 2024, which will create more scheduling changes.

Go Gophers!!

Why do they need to change next year’s schedule?

Per Greder:

Coyle said on the KFXN-FM pregame show that a few of the subjects to be figured out include the future of divisions and whether they keep nine-game conference schedules.

Minnesota’s future schedules previously were available online, but with the changes on the horizon in the conference, the U has taken them off its website.

Southern California and UCLA will join the conference in 2024, which will create more scheduling changes.

Go Gophers!!
Interesting in that the future non-conference games are still on Gophersports.com. It would be nice to keep the future P5 non-conference opponents on the schedule (North Carolina, Cal, Mississippi State)

The Big ten should:
1. Keep the divisions
2. Put USC and UCLA in the West, move Purdue to the East
3. Drop down to 8 conference games (until the SEC moves to 9)
4. Start the season a week earlier (weekend before Labor Day) and have the league plan 16 neutral site non-conference bowl game-type games in large Northern and West Coast cities against P5 opponents (while the NFL isn’t playing) that the B1G owns the rights to.
5. Starting earlier also creates an extra bye week for each team that could help with scheduling 1 non-Saturday game for each team.

Interesting in that the future non-conference games are still on Gophersports.com. It would be nice to keep the future P5 non-conference opponents on the schedule (North Carolina, Cal, Mississippi State)
Why is that interesting? The big ten schedule doesn't change the contracts signed with those schools

Why is that interesting? The big ten schedule doesn't change the contracts signed with those schools
Only matters if the big ten wants to schedule a game for us on those dates. No idea if they'd want to do that though. I would think they could avoid those dates for the most part.

I don’t see any real reason why the non-conference opponents have to or will change. They have already been set based on our playing a 9 game conference schedule and that is likely to continue. The meeting I believe is to most likely eliminate the divisions and to decide whether or not to stay at 9 conference games or switch to 8. It’s also to determine what type of rotational model to adopt within the conference scheduling.

Personally, I don’t like the 9 game league schedule because I don’t like the unbalanced home/away model. I’d rather play 10 league games than 8 but that isn’t even being considered. Eight league games, especially when USC, and for now UCLA join, doesn’t allow you to rotate thru the league and play everyone often enough for my liking. If we were to drop to 8 league games, I’d like some requirement that teams must play tougher non conference schedules.

He better arrange to play Ohio State every week to finally win over some of those commenters from the Strib and Facebook.

Only matters if the big ten wants to schedule a game for us on those dates. No idea if they'd want to do that though. I would think they could avoid those dates for the most part.
Everyone has their non-con set for the better part of a decade. I don't remember the Big Ten forcing someone to buyout of a game. As an aside, I think fbschedules is the best place to look at a schools future schedules.

The Big ten should:
1. Keep the divisions
4. Start the season a week earlier (weekend before Labor Day) and have the league plan 16 neutral site non-conference bowl game-type games in large Northern and West Coast cities against P5 opponents (while the NFL isn’t playing) that the B1G owns the rights to.
5. Starting earlier also creates an extra bye week for each team that could help with scheduling 1 non-Saturday game for each team.
Keeping divisions and dropping to 8 games while adding USC and UCLA means we have only one crossover game and it takes 8 years to play the east division teams once, 16 to play home and away.

That's probably the worst version of scheduling I've seen anyone suggest...

Guaranteed locks for the schedule next year: @iowa, and home vs Wisconsin.
I would guess Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Illinois at home and @Maryland, @Rutgers, @Northwestern.

The Big ten should:
1. Keep the divisions
Terrible ideas.

8 game conference schedules, in a 16 team conference, means we'd almost never play teams from the other division.

Also- neutral site games suck.

Keeping divisions and dropping to 8 games while adding USC and UCLA means we have only one crossover game and it takes 8 years to play the east division teams once, 16 to play home and away.

The best 16 game schedule I’ve seen suggested is the lock 5 play 10 schedule

Play 5 every year.
Play the other 10 home and home every 4 years.
Also that model reduces the chances of 3 way ties of teams that haven’t played each other.

If they do anything other than the same format with a new schedule in 2023 it will be dumb IMO
Let the west be fun one more year before you make us the NFL lite

Per Greder:

Go Gophers!!
I think it was someone here that suggested adding a few more schools out west and then doing a pod system which would be ideal.

I don't know how they split the divisions otherwise. As lopsided as East and West has been, Legends and Leaders was dumb and led to a lot of lost rivalry games.

I don't think they can get rid of divisions because then there can be multiple undefeated teams at the end of the year. So do you add USC / UCLA to the West and then move Purdue to the East? I can't imagine that OSU and UM would allow that because they're going to want games in SoCal for recruiting.

No idea how this turns out.

I think it was someone here that suggested adding a few more schools out west and then doing a pod system which would be ideal.

I don't know how they split the divisions otherwise. As lopsided as East and West has been, Legends and Leaders was dumb and led to a lot of lost rivalry games.

I don't think they can get rid of divisions because then there can be multiple undefeated teams at the end of the year. So do you add USC / UCLA to the West and then move Purdue to the East? I can't imagine that OSU and UM would allow that because they're going to want games in SoCal for recruiting.

No idea how this turns out.
Even if there are no divisions there will be “scheduling groups” that play round robin within each other

Basically meaning rotating divisions with no division championships.

remember, 2023 is a stop-gap schedule.

everything will change in 2024 when the 2 new teams come in - assuming it is only 2 new teams. It might be more than 2.

so whatever they decide for '23, it's a one-year-only deal. I don't see any reason to get rid of the divisions for that reason. Let the big changes happen in '24.

Except his #4. Even dumber.

Why does that change?

Also- neutral site games suck.
Except his #4. Even dumber.
Do you like bowl games?

Those are just non-conference neutral site games. Except they’re played in December, at the height of the NFL season, far away from where the B1G’s fans live, and owned by ESPN.

Also, a 13th game is likely coming to FBS soon. I would rather it be an interesting game that actually generates some revenue, and isn’t in December.

Whatever they decide to do it will be the wrong decision. I say keep it the way it is for 2023. When they went to East/West they started out with the East getting the extra home game. COVID kind of threw it off but there were no gates being taken in that year anyway. This year the East has the extra home game again so it would only be fair that they end the current format in 2023 with the West getting the 5 conference home games. But they absolutely do not care about the schools in the west.

If they are hell-bent on getting rid of divisions then they should move to 10 conference games, not 8. But they won't do that either.

Eventually we'll be a conference with 40 teams and 6 conference games. </s>

I think they'll keep it East-West for 2023, then scrap divisions in 2024 when USC and (maybe) UCLA come in.

Top Bottom