Mark Coyle is headed to Chicago after Saturday’s game to meet with fellow Big Ten ADs to determine football schedules for the 2023 season.

This is a valid point.

All the same -- TV rules the day.
True. Not sure if they (TV) would want the Conf Champs on a Holiday Week or a full week of games before a week before Labor Day for that matter.

Lots to sort out.

10 conference games needs to be the goal. That gives you 5 home conference games and 2 home cupcakes ever year.

Playing all teams in your conference in a timely fashion should be a priority.

10 conference games needs to be the goal. That gives you 5 home conference games and 2 home cupcakes ever year.

Playing all teams in your conference in a timely fashion should be a priority.
Are you okay with never playing another P5 non-conference game ever again?

Among a dozen negative side-effects of 10 conference games, that’s just one.

If it goes to 10 conference games (which it will eventually), it'll be at the expense of a G5/FCS paycheck game, which nobody will miss.

I mean playing Colorado and TCU doesn’t really do more for me than playing UCLA and Maryland

If it goes to 10 conference games (which it will eventually), it'll be at the expense of a G5/FCS paycheck game, which nobody will miss.
No.

Because to do what I think you're suggesting -- 10 conf games and 2 P5 home/home alternating each year -- would mean every team only gets 6 home games.

Teams want at least 7 home games per year.

No.

Because to do what I think you're suggesting -- 10 conf games and 2 P5 home/home alternating each year -- would mean every team only gets 6 home games.

Teams want at least 7 home games per year.

Endgame IMO is 20 team conference, 4 divisions, 10 games (4-2-2-2), then div winners playing semis into title game in Indy. Makes the most sense competitively, and the TV people will want the extra weeks of marquee conference + semi matchups.

Teams want the TV money more than anything.

Endgame IMO is 20 team conference, 4 divisions, 10 games (4-2-2-2), then div winners playing semis into title game in Indy. Makes the most sense competitively, and the TV people will want the extra weeks of marquee conference + semi matchups.

While the math of this format works for me, in reality, if we end up adding Stanford, Cal, Oregon and Washington to get to 20 teams, this is…well…awkward. Five team divisions with 6 west coast teams means one west coast team has to be in a Midwest division. So, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska and say Washington. I can’t see the fans of the “displaced” west coast team being thrilled with that setup. But I guess money makes it all better.

While the math of this format works for me, in reality, if we end up adding Stanford, Cal, Oregon and Washington to get to 20 teams, this is…well…awkward. Five team divisions with 6 west coast teams means one west coast team has to be in a Midwest division. So, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska and say Washington. I can’t see the fans of the “displaced” west coast team being thrilled with that setup. But I guess money makes it all better.
I will be surprised if the B1G adds 6 teams from the west coast. My guess is they add 5 total and leave a spot open for Notre Dame. However, they don’t seem too eager to add anymore teams right now. It will be interesting to see who they do add.

20 and 10 is a good way to do it, that is fine.

There just aren't enough weeks in the season, my man. They're already strongly considering having to move the start of the season back to what we currently call "Week 0" just to make room for the expanded 12-team playoff.

You're talking about adding another round to the conference. It's a cool idea, no doubt, but it's just not going to happen.

I will be surprised if the B1G adds 6 teams from the west coast. My guess is they add 5 total and leave a spot open for Notre Dame. However, they don’t seem too eager to add anymore teams right now. It will be interesting to see who they do add.
I don't think Notre Dame is going to come any time soon.

If they really want to, the Big Ten can go to 20 soonish (or sooner than later) and then at a later time in the 2030's at some point look at adding ACC schools to go to 24 (or more), including Notre Dame.

I saw a report on CBS Sports that Warren is still fishing for an offer from Amazon for another $100M/year to do some streaming package. They've clearly struck gold (in their eyes, at least) with Thursday nigh NFL. And -- somehow, the article doesn't say how -- that would induce the Big Ten to then add the West Coast 4. I guess because Amazon is such a big deal in the massive tech communities of Seattle and the Bay Area? No idea.

That is specifically not including Wazzou and the Beavs, who would mope themselves over to the Mountain West, with the Big 12 adding the 4 corners.

Obviously that means the $$$ per year per school goes down ... so I don't know how they get the votes for that. (Talking the Big Ten adding Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, here)

We'll see ...

No divisions, 9-game conference schedule, 4 scheduling pods

Play the other 3 teams in your pod every year, play 2 from each of the other 3 pods - 9 games

The next year, play the other 2 teams from each pod that you didn't play the previous year

Pods something like:

Pod 1
Minnesota
wisconsin
iowa
nebraska

Pod 2
Illinois
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue

Pod 3
Penn St
Michigan St
USC
UCLA

Pod 4
Ohio St
Michigan
Rutgers
Maryland

(It would make the most sense to put the 4 newbies in their own pod, but USC and UCLA aren't coming into the Big Ten to play Rutgers and Maryland every year.)

You play your closest rivals every year (the only casualty being Michigan-MSU from what I can see), and you play every team in the conference, home and away, twice every 4 years - way better than the current nonsense of playing certain teams maybe once or twice a decade.

No divisions, 9-game conference schedule, 4 scheduling pods

Play the other 3 teams in your pod every year, play 2 from each of the other 3 pods - 9 games

The next year, play the other 2 teams from each pod that you didn't play the previous year

Pods something like:

Pod 1
Minnesota
wisconsin
iowa
nebraska

Pod 2
Illinois
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue

Pod 3
Penn St
Michigan St
USC
UCLA

Pod 4
Ohio St
Michigan
Rutgers
Maryland

(It would make the most sense to put the 4 newbies in their own pod, but USC and UCLA aren't coming into the Big Ten to play Rutgers and Maryland every year.)

You play your closest rivals every year (the only casualty being Michigan-MSU from what I can see), and you play every team in the conference, home and away, twice every 4 years - way better than the current nonsense of playing certain teams maybe once or twice a decade.
I feel like PODs are like conferences ... but smaller ....

Now you technically play some folks more often, but for what? I don't really give a damn that we play Michigan St. more ... if we play everyone else less...

It's just the same problem, but worse.

Now you technically play some folks more often, but for what? I don't really give a damn that we play Michigan St. more ... if we play everyone else less...

Comparing it to the current scheduling format - you really care if we only play Illinois, Northwestern, and Purdue every other year? You care that much about those "rivalries"? Every other school in the conference we would see as often as we do now, or more frequently.

Comparing it to the current scheduling format - you really care if we only play Illinois, Northwestern, and Purdue every other year? You care that much about those "rivalries"? Every other school in the conference we would see as often as we do now, or more frequently.
I care that I play more than 4 teams regularly.

I don't so much care who, but I like that they're more regular.

The whole "don't play teams often enough" here is solved by "play almost nobody often".

I care that I play more than 4 teams regularly.

I don't so much care who, but I like that they're more regular.

The whole "don't play teams often enough" here is solved by "play almost nobody often".
Huh? Under the format I propose, you literally play everyone in the conference within every 2-year span.

Huh? Under the format I propose, you literally play everyone in the conference within every 2-year span.
I'm pretty much in the camp that you either play someone every year or ... doesn't matter if it is 2 or 3 years after that.

Let alone when Washington and co get added ...

Is it though? There's still 2 more weeks and the B1G could easily make one of them an SEC-B1G challenge.

I would love a CFB season without 3-4 filler games.

Is it though? There's still 2 more weeks and the B1G could easily make one of them an SEC-B1G challenge.

I would love a CFB season without 3-4 filler games.
Really no value in that for either conference to schedule I don't think.

Not outside some serioius TV / venue money like some ungodly NEUTRAL SITE setups ...

Really no value in that for either conference to schedule I don't think.

Not outside some serioius TV / venue money like some ungodly NEUTRAL SITE setups ...
What it is doesn't matter. The point is that reduction of snoozefest cupcakes is good for college football. Yes, even if it means a fun non conference game every 2+ years doesn't happen. Our last cool nonconference game was 2021. If we can go from 3-4 boring games to 1 or 2, or hopefully zero, count me in.

I am forwarding these comments to the Commissioner so he can share them with the rest of the BIG bigwigs so they know what to do about scheduling and divisions.

What it is doesn't matter. The point is that reduction of snoozefest cupcakes is good for college football. Yes, even if it means a fun non conference game every 2+ years doesn't happen. Our last cool nonconference game was 2021. If we can go from 3-4 boring games to 1 or 2, or hopefully zero, count me in.
I loved or cupcakes this year. Fun games.

Top Bottom