Marcus: Trent Lockett will not transfer to Minnesota

He would probably not be good for team chemistry. He would get minutes earned by Coleman and needed by Wally to develop. They will be a solid team without him IMO.

The cold irony...the one spring when Tubby isn't scrambling to fill open schollies, is the one spring when we actually could've had a real quality player to add to the team and now we have nothing open for him.

The cold irony...the one spring when Tubby isn't scrambling to fill open schollies, is the one spring when we actually could've had a real quality player to add to the team and now we have nothing open for him.

That's what I was thinking.

I'm not saying Tubby should have run someone off, but I'm cringing at all of the "it's ok, we didn't need him anyway" type of posts that are already appearing...all this business about "team chemistry," and "so and so needs those minutes to develop" and "he was only second team all conf in a lousy conference."

It's pretty tough to miss something we never had.

If you ever played basketball or any team sport and a new player joined the team, it does cause problems. Players want to play and an interloper is not always accepted. The main reason college players transfer is playing time. Some teams would do well with a new player some would not. The Gophers have 3 shooting guards in Austin Hollins, Joe Coleman and Wally Ellenson. Adding Lockett for 1 year definitely does not help develop those guys. Tubby could cut Mav and make room for Lockett but apparently did not think that was a good move. If they had lost a star and had room it would have made more sense to add Lockett. In contrast, Northwestern lost Shurna and made a good move to add Swopshire even if it s for just 1 year.

The assumption that some seem to be making is that Lockett's main desire in life was to play for Tubby Smith, but being the great man he is, Tubby just couldn't bring in Trent because he refused to talk to his players about their role on the team going forward.

The assumption that some seem to be making is that Lockett's main desire in life was to play for Tubby Smith, but being the great man he is, Tubby just couldn't bring in Trent because he refused to talk to his players about their role on the team going forward.

Hmm....I wonder what your assumption is.

Gopher Warrior said:

I hate when AAU coaches lie ...

"Some people might say they should have reached out because Trent became available, but I think it's great that Tubby showed his commitment to the guys he has," Watts told the Pioneer Press on Friday, April 20. "Trent's not offended by it. He has the utmost respect for Tubby. (Gophers assistant) coach Vince Taylor's son plays in our program. So it's just one of those things where you understand the situation. If they had a scholarship, would they be in there? No question."

UWOle said:
I believe that is now 3 three players in Buzz's short tenure at MU who have had signed letters of intent but ended up elsewhere at a rather late date.

#justwin #mubb

I believe that is now 3 three players in Buzz's short tenure at MU who have had signed letters of intent but ended up elsewhere at a rather late date.

I wouldn't say Durley's release came at a "rather late date", but this outcome with Aaron has been seen as very likely for several months.

The two other players you're thinking of who started their college career elsewhere both transferred from their school after one year. (i.e., they both signed an NLI with one school, got out of it, went to another school and played their freshman year, then transferred after their freshman year to yet another school).

There's usually more to every story than what meets the eye.

I wouldn't say Durley's release came at a "rather late date", but this outcome with Aaron has been seen as very likely for several months.

The two other players you're thinking of who started their college career elsewhere both transferred from their school after one year. (i.e., they both signed an NLI with one school, got out of it, went to another school and played their freshman year, then transferred after their freshman year to yet another school).

There's usually more to every story than what meets the eye.

Let's not turn this into an MU/UW pissing match (maybe we can arm-wrestle about it later today :cool: ), and I am sure there is more to all stories, but if Bo is going to get hammered for the Uthoff transfer, Buzz should probably answer a few questions about these situations. Here are some of Durley's recent tweets:

April 17 - "...I'm going to Marquette..."

April 20 - "It's hurts... I'm not gonna lie... But it's just Fuel to My Fire thats gonna drive me to become the best I can be"

Something changed. Maybe Trent Lockett's visit on April 18-19?

With Newbill and Rosboro, I knew Newbill had transferred again, did not not know Rosboro had. Perhaps it was because they had so little time to find a school after MU released them in July and August (I believe), respectively?

He didn't seem to be beating the door down to come here. Were we supposed to run someone off and then see if he picked us out of his final four? It'd be nice to have him, but this is no tragedy.

"Slightly lower TO rate than Andre/Julian/Maverick... but, pretty brutal. And his highest of his career this year."

Still feel that way about him now, GW?

balds said:
"Slightly lower TO rate than Andre/Julian/Maverick... but, pretty brutal. And his highest of his career this year."

Still feel that way about him now, GW?

You are wondering if GW still thinks Lockett had a high TO rate last year?

Top Bottom