Marcus: Gophers trying to get "big-time" player to transfer to U

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
GophersNow PiPress Gophers Now
Word is Gophers trying to get D-I transfer in to help them in future. Could be a big-time player. Too bad he wouldn't play next season.

Interesting, this seems like it could be as a result of Trevor leaving.

Royce White?

Not sure if Lucious can play next year at all, or if he is out all year, but an interesting squad to the south would be Allen and Lucious from MSU, and White.

Since I believe they cannot talk with anyone who has not already said they are leaving the team, the question is who already has stated and made the necessary moves to be available?

They just can't go to players on other teams and try and get them to transfer.

calminnfan,

They can't talk to players who don't have a release, but that doesn't mean they can't to an AAU coach or a high school coach or someone who is close to the kid.

Not sure if this qualifies as "big time" but I've heard various rumblings about Bradley's PG Sam Maniscalco transferring after missing a majority of this season with a foot injury. The Gophers were mentioned as a frontrunner along with Illinois, Mizzou, Purdue, and Indiana. He would need to get a medical hardship waiver since he played 6 games this year as a Senior and he would then have to sit out a year. Looks like he had a solid career at Bradley.

http://www.bradleybraves.com/ViewAr...8&DB_OEM_ID=3400&ATCLID=1279832&Q_SEASON=2010

He definitely fills a need on the Gopher roster but that need is next year - not 2012-2013. Plus, he would only have one year of eligibility left.

calminnfan,

They can't talk to players who don't have a release, but that doesn't mean they can't to an AAU coach or a high school coach or someone who is close to the kid.

I guess if they have heard some buzz around a player they would try to set the stage for signing up when available. Gotta be careful since the NCAA has not hesitated to spank the U in the past, though it does struggle keeping the elite schools in check.

Wouldn't it be something if it was Barnes. Seriously doubt it, but his being homesick and MN being close to home would not be out of the question.

My guesses, based on nothing, are Glen Rice whatever number he is at Ga. Tech or maybe Trent Lockett coming home. Again, this is based on nothing but speculation.

My guesses, based on nothing, are Glen Rice whatever number he is at Ga. Tech or maybe Trent Lockett coming home. Again, this is based on nothing but speculation.

Boy, this team could absolutely use Trent Lockett. That'd be spectacular.

Not sure if this qualifies as "big time" but I've heard various rumblings about Bradley's PG Sam Maniscalco transferring after missing a majority of this season with a foot injury. The Gophers were mentioned as a frontrunner along with Illinois, Mizzou, Purdue, and Indiana. He would need to get a medical hardship waiver since he played 6 games this year as a Senior and he would then have to sit out a year. Looks like he had a solid career at Bradley.

http://www.bradleybraves.com/ViewAr...8&DB_OEM_ID=3400&ATCLID=1279832&Q_SEASON=2010

He definitely fills a need on the Gopher roster but that need is next year - not 2012-2013. Plus, he would only have one year of eligibility left.

Maniscalo can shoot the hell out of the ball. When I saw him play in High School at St. Pat's he was really underrated.

Keno Davis at Providence just got fired. Maybe Vincent Council is looking for a new home. Man is there going to be a lot of speculation on this topic until we figure out who it is, if anyone even ends up transferring.

I bet they're using the term "big-time" somewhat loosely. I'm not expecting an All-American to fall in our laps, although I would obviously welcome it. Trent Lockett and Glen Rice Jr. are the two best guesses so far IMO.

BTW - Just noticed that he says "could be" a big time player, not is a big time player. Reasonable assumption is at the least a pretty good one, but not necessarily is a big time player.

Wouldn't it be something if it was Barnes. Seriously doubt it, but his being homesick and MN being close to home would not be out of the question.

If he's homesick, why wouldn't he transfer to Iowa St.?

If he will graduate in the spring and gets the medical hardship...he can play right away if he enters a grad program that isn't offered at Providence...which I gotta believe we have an abundance of...

Sam Maniscalco has already asked for a release from Bradley. A transfer to Illinois sounds like it will more likely than not happen, but if that doesn't work out,....

Calling Sam Maniscalco "big-time" is almost as much of a stretch as attributing Michael Ruffin's NBA status to Tubby.

I follow college basketball as fervently as anyone I know (other than Josh), and I've never heard of this guy until this thread. By definition, a guy that a hardcore college basketball fan has never even heard of is not "big-time".

Calling Sam Maniscalco "big-time" is almost as much of a stretch as attributing Michael Ruffin's NBA status to Tubby.

I follow college basketball as fervently as anyone I know (other than Josh), and I've never heard of this guy until this thread. By definition, a guy that a hardcore college basketball fan has never even heard of is not "big-time".

I don't think the young man is "big time" by the standard definition but anybody who follows recruiting knew he was a solid player in Chicago Catholic League a few years ago.

Great thread. Nothing like dangling a carrot and give many GH's something to do rather than bash Tubby, Maturi and lament about not having a PG..

Top Bottom