Marcus: Gophers cruise to victory in "secret" scrimmage against DePaul

team

I agree on Lynch and Coffey not being double figure scorers except occasionally. Mason is a no brainer, but I also think your missing on Murphy he scored a ton from 12 feet and in on isolations. He is a quick leaper for most power forwards to guard while back pedaling. He scored a ton on more than just put backs. McBrayer isn't there as a scorer right now I agree. I would take a 35% 3 pt percentage in McBrayer before I would suggest 10ppg.

Yes, Murphy will get his rebound buckets and some stuff around the basket but won't create a lot, Mason is the only proven go to guy, McBrayer might be another but he isn't there yet as far as I am concerned.

I don't see Coffey or Lynch as being big time scorers, they'll provide points but not big go to guys.

McBrayer isn't there as a scorer right now I agree. I would take a 35% 3 pt percentage in McBrayer before I would suggest 10ppg.

McBrayer averaged 9 ppg when he played 20 min or more during conference play last year. He'll likely play 30 min a game this year. He's closer than you think.

McBrayer averaged 9 ppg when he played 20 min or more during conference play last year. He'll likely play 30 min a game this year. He's closer than you think.

Many of these posts are based on the idea that nobody ever grows or improves: Konate can't get better. Murphy can only dunk. McBrayer is still the skinny kid that people saw miss all of his outside shots early in the year.

Players can and do improve. I expect all of the returning players to improve from last year and perhaps one or more will take big strides.

Many of these posts are based on the idea that nobody ever grows or improves: Konate can't get better. Murphy can only dunk. McBrayer is still the skinny kid that people saw miss all of his outside shots early in the year.

Players can and do improve. I expect all of the returning players to improve from last year and perhaps one or more will take big strides.
You are spot on about Konate.

He also developed a knack for driving to the hole and getting fouled, which will become even more dangerous if he can become a decent three point threat. He's listed at 6'5" on the official roster, which should help him in being able to finish over smaller 1 and 2 guards.

Iowa State beat Nebraska by 9 in their secret scrimmage fwiw.

He also developed a knack for driving to the hole and getting fouled, which will become even more dangerous if he can become a decent three point threat. He's listed at 6'5" on the official roster, which should help him in being able to finish over smaller 1 and 2 guards.

In his team photo McBrayer looks...bigger. Certainly more filled out than last year. Looks like he may have grown an inch to boot. Late bloomer and could really take a step this year.

Would be a huge bonus.

In his team photo McBrayer looks...bigger. Certainly more filled out than last year. Looks like he may have grown an inch to boot. Late bloomer and could really take a step this year.

Would be a huge bonus.

When we were recruiting McBrayer he mentioned in an interview that his doctor told him he could grow to 6'7. So I wouldn't be surprised if he grew.

correction

Good point. He averaged almost 30 min per game in those games. I forget how well he was playing late in the season. I did the math on his 3's during those same games 9 for 21, 43%. Maybe 3 pt shooting won't be the dreaded achilies heel this year.

My thread was in response to someone not including Murphy as a scorer.
My ppg predictions:
Mason 15, Murphy 14, Springs 11, McBrayer 10, Coffey 8, Lynch 6, Curry 4, Gilbert 3,
BK 3.

Good point. He averaged almost 30 min per game in those games. I forget how well he was playing late in the season. I did the math on his 3's during those same games 9 for 21, 43%. Maybe 3 pt shooting won't be the dreaded achilies heel this year.

My thread was in response to someone not including Murphy as a scorer.
My ppg predictions:
Mason 15, Murphy 14, Springs 11, McBrayer 10, Coffey 8, Lynch 6, Curry 4, Gilbert 3,
BK 3.

If it is reference to my post, I didn't say he won't be a scorer, what I did say is that most of his points will come around the basket, maybe he has developed a floor game, as of now I don't see it, they need someone that can replace the points King provided and spread out the defense a bit from the three point range.

I'm also expecting more points to come in transition, that is the strength of both McBrayer and Coffey, if Lynch, Konate, Murphy, and Curry can get the ball off the defensive board and out to the wings they are going to score some points.

What I don't see are many options in the half court offense that can create and get points at key points that are so critical in winning close games in the B1G, Mason, and hopefully Springs, McBrayer.

Initial scouting report on Gophers likely to be "make them beat from you the outside." Teams will want to take away Murphy and Mason. Guys like McBrayer, Coffey, and Springs (and/or Gilbert/Hurt if they're getting decent minutes) will need to make enough 3s to keep 'em honest.

I think McBrayer will make a much larger percentage from 3 (last year 25%) this year (35%?), and that's going to make him extra hard to guard because he's good going to the basket.

Top Bottom