Marcus Fuller with the details

Was bostick there too? or is his situation unrelated? no true PF's left on our team. damn.

He brought it on himself.

I imagine that's from a lifetime of people telling him yes, no problem, bailing him out of trouble, and him feeling invincible as a result. Welcome to the real word kiddo. Maybe we should just start calling him J.R. White now. Amazing talent. No brains or vision for the future. It's tough to write off an 18-19 old kid, but he's going down that path to being broke and in jail with nothing but a littered road of dumb decisions and regret for what he could have had.

I would have thought that Royce could have at least gotten to the exhibition opener before getting suspended. I guess that is too much to ask.

Knucklehead.

I love how this story is on the front page of Startribune.com

Tubby and Maturi have no doubt known about this for a couple of weeks. Why the delay in announcing the suspensions?

Maybe they werent told, maybe they didnt have all of the facts, maybe they chose to meet with the players/families before the announcement to help the players. There could be lots of reasons. I doubt Tubby/Maturi thought this would blow over.

Maybe they werent told, maybe they didnt have all of the facts, maybe they chose to meet with the players/families before the announcement to help the players. There could be lots of reasons. I doubt Tubby/Maturi thought this would blow over.

Or waited until the Trevor decision....day later Tubby meets the media and kills all three birds with one stone or more importantly limits all of this to a two day news cycle instead of a 2-3 week cycle.

Is Royce's career on the same path as "what-was-your-favorite Kris Collins moment?"

I woke up today looking forward to the exhibition opener. Now, not so much. I'm sure I'll snap out of it, but this crap has put a serious damper on my enthusiasm for the upcoming season.

Anyhoo, let's support 100% the guys who are serious about being members of the team. We've been talking about the Gophers' depth all summer, now's the time to start using it when we're short-handed. I still see a lot of good basketball players on this squad. One man's loss is another man's opportunity.

I imagine that's from a lifetime of people telling him yes, no problem, bailing him out of trouble, and him feeling invincible as a result. Welcome to the real word kiddo. Maybe we should just start calling him J.R. White now. Amazing talent. No brains or vision for the future. It's tough to write off an 18-19 old kid, but he's going down that path to being broke and in jail with nothing but a littered road of dumb decisions and regret for what he could have had.

Exactly why he needs the team and Tubby now more than ever. Lets go with the LaGarrette Blount route. Get the kid in with DJ or any of the upperclassman. Suspend him for the season with the possibility of coming back partway through the season if he upholds certain standards and put him on "probation" for the rest of his career at the U. If he's innocent though or it was a misunderstanding or some other way he's innocent, get him back in (obviously).

If this is true, Tubby can suspend him for the season as far as I am concerned.

Fifteen games for the crime and 15 games for being stupid as a rock!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

At least a season, maybe kick him out of the program. Let's get nip this thing in the bud. Tubby should be a good enough program builder to have a legitimate response to misconduct.

Art, I'm not anywhere near ready to say Tubby is a "win at all costs" kind of coach whatsoever. His past doesn't speak to that at all.

But I gotta' say it. IF indeed these accusations against Royce are TRUE, this is some serious stuff. Stealing & a physical confrontation with a security guard (maybe it was Paul Blart?) should not be dealt with lightly. This shouldn't be a 1- or 2-game type suspension, especially considering his past, and especially considering the cheeseballs the Gophers play early in the season. Suspending him for the exhibitions and the first couple cupcakes wouldn't be much of a punishment.

There needs to be some serious repercussions. With the weak NC sked the Gophers have, I think keeping him on the bench through the first 9 games (including the exhibitions) would suffice (and if he's suspended longer that's OK, too). That would mean he sits for the Gophers' only significant NC games, Anaheim and Miami. Perhaps he'd get the message that his F-ups affect not only himself but also his teammates? Considering his past, I doubt that would sink in.

I am not surprised Royce White is in this trouble. All of his actions in the past shows that he has a knack for this type of behavior. It's a real sad case. Here you have a gifted player that is most likely NBA-bound minus all the off-the-court stuff. People have to be telling him this. So why would he risk anything? He's following in the steps of guys like Chris Washburn.

Personally from what I know about White, he has a ton of mental issues (AKA Shane Schilling) which is really sad. It goes a lot more than just saying he's a crook and just suspend him. I'm not defending what the guy did, but in this case I think White has a lot of issues that many folks don't know about.

Many people forget about Luther Head from Illinois. He was arrested for shoplifting and he went to coach Weber and told him that he will leave the team. Weber told him to clean his act up and come back the next year and contribute. Head ended up Ok. I'm not saying that will happen with White, but it is obvious that there is a lot more going on with this guy than meets the eye. He is truley messed up.

I'd have no problem with suspending him at least through the non-conference schedule or until the start of the next semester. This is not a minor incident. I hope the walk-on from the football team can play, we're going to need him.

He's a PG, we need PF's

At the current rate of attrition, we'll be lucky to have 8 warm bodies regardless of position. RalphIII is going to have to see some serious time at PF.

Exactly why he needs the team and Tubby now more than ever. Lets go with the LaGarrette Blount route. Get the kid in with DJ or any of the upperclassman. Suspend him for the season with the possibility of coming back partway through the season if he upholds certain standards and put him on "probation" for the rest of his career at the U. If he's innocent though or it was a misunderstanding or some other way he's innocent, get him back in (obviously).

What do you think the odds are that Royce could actually attend class, stay out of trouble, be a good citizen? I'm guessing it's impossible. What a mess!

I am not surprised Royce White is in this trouble. All of his actions in the past shows that he has a knack for this type of behavior. It's a real sad case. Here you have a gifted player that is most likely NBA-bound minus all the off-the-court stuff. People have to be telling him this. So why would he risk anything? He's following in the steps of guys like Chris Washburn.

Personally from what I know about White, he has a ton of mental issues (AKA Shane Schilling) which is really sad. It goes a lot more than just saying he's a crook and just suspend him. I'm not defending what the guy did, but in this case I think White has a lot of issues that many folks don't know about.

Many people forget about Luther Head from Illinois. He was arrested for shoplifting and he went to coach Weber and told him that he will leave the team. Weber told him to clean his act up and come back the next year and contribute. Head ended up Ok. I'm not saying that will happen with White, but it is obvious that there is a lot more going on with this guy than meets the eye. He is truley messed up.

now we are jumping from shoplifting to the guy has serious mental issues and is "seriously messed up" in the head?!?! wow! just wow! any of you ever steal candy, soda, food or maybe a shirt from a store when you were younger? guessing that 60% of people did something like that in their younger years and some were lucky enough to not get caught. it doesn't mean those people are messed up in the head or have mental issues. it also doesnt' mean those people were not able to learn from their mis-deeds and become better people for it.

some of the jokers on GH are beyond incredulous in the wild accusations and utter crap they are willing to throw around about people they don't even know personally. some of you should be real proud of yourselves. :rolleyes:

now we are jumping from shoplifting to the guy has serious mental issues and is "seriously messed up" in the head?!?! wow! just wow! any of you ever steal candy, soda, food or maybe a shirt from a store when you were younger? guessing that 60% of people did something like that in their younger years and some were lucky enough to not get caught. it doesn't mean those people are messed up in the head or have mental issues. it also doesnt' mean those people were not able to learn from their mis-deeds and become better people for it.

some of the jokers on GH are beyond incredulous in the wild accusations and utter crap they are willing to throw around about people they don't even know personally. some of you should be real proud of yourselves. :rolleyes:

Oh give this tired BS a rest Bronko! The kid PUSHED A SECURITY GUARD TO THE FLOOR TWICE after he got caught. This isn't a 11 year old taking Skittles from a SuperAmerica.

I agree that some random statement about Royce's mental health is completely out of line. But it's possible to call out stupid comments without becoming an apologist.

Track record my friend-track record. I'd worry more bout the people defending his actions more than ripping him. Royce has brought on all of this himself.

good god...we got carter and whaley on the football team and mbakwe, white and bostick in basketball...wow. We're one guy short of organized crime.

Bronko, I'm just speculating. I hope he is fine. I should have hinted more that there could be a lot more to this. I just can't relate to a guy that has everything going for him including a future with a lot of success and $$ and then shoplifts, beats down a security officer, not to mention the questionable past he had in high school (I know he's young, but that starts the pattern). I am pissed that I can't see this guy play. He along with Trevor were the two guys I really was looking forward to seeing this year. We've truley are losing the status of scholar athlete. They rarely exist anymore.

Wow, the way Tubby talked about the situation I thought whatever happened probably wasn't that big of a deal. He made it sound like Royce just broke a team rule. I got the idea that Tubby had full control over the suspension, but after finding out what actually happened, I don't see how he would.

For any of you saying we shouldn't have gotten white, you are crazy...if Tubby a year ago would've said we don't want White and his baggage, people would've been ripping on him for 4 years...with these top prospects, nearly all of them have some type of baggage but most schools cover it up until they leave after 1 year, then boom...not saying White would be gone after one year but similar situation on big egos..

Two things I vaguely remember reading about in regards to White:

1. His grandfather, respected in the community, was going to take a more active role in getting him on track.
2. His family was concerned about people talking to him about jumping to NBA after a year.

Who's he hanging out with? I saw Royce and family last summer at Pulley and he seemed like a good kid.

White's history.......

is well documented. He has problems with authority, respect for others and temper. In short, mental health issues. Why is everyone (OK, at least some folks) afraid to say it. He needs a psychologist at the least and maybe more, to help him come to grips with himself!

Bottom line........there is no help for those who refuse to participate in their own recovery.

If he makes an effort, anything can be changed, and he'll find plenty of "angels," to help him.

is well documented. He has problems with authority, respect for others and temper. In short, mental health issues. Why is everyone (OK, at least some folks) afraid to say it. He needs a psychologist at the least and maybe more, to help him come to grips with himself!

Bottom line........there is no help for those who refuse to participate in their own recovery.

If he makes an effort, anything can be changed, and he'll find plenty of "angels," to help him.

It's a harsh assessment. It might be a smaller case of a kid who's been told how great and special he is for quite sometime. Like I noted above, I'd like to know who's in his ear. I don't envy Tubby, his mother, or his grandfather. My college roommates were major sport DI athletes and a lot of 30-50 year olds with money wanted to be their friends and drink beers with them. He might have been better off getting out of town for school.

I am not really concerned about White right now. He is a young kid. He can transfer to another college where he can play the dawg and will do some pro ball afterwards. In the meantime, he will grow up. But.... Man, do I feel bad for Tubby. Some may say it is his own doin'. Nevertheless, I know he is doing his best to stay clean in a business of crooks.

We will move on as always.

Agreed. I've heard some at De La Salle say the same thing. I hope he gets some help.

As many have speculated, the White persona has probably been building over a lifetime of entitled behavior and "passes" at every stage of his emotional development due to unusual, star physical talents relative to his peers.

Although I do not know the young man and have only seen video clips, as a DeLS alum, I have followed his bb career from his promising days at De, then Hopkins, the U big stage and now this sorry state of affairs.

In his youthful development, I wonder if there were ever any serious consequences for inappropriate behavior until he got to DLS, where he was apparently given several chances to clean-up his act. Behavior like this speaks to an attitude of "life for me has no limits" since there are never any consequences beyond well-meaning passes like "he's a young, misunderstood kid" etc. Not surprising that a young person treated this way would think there is no reason to put limits on their personal behavior since some understanding adult will alway give them a pass.

Those days of unrestrained entitlement for Mr. White are now over under the bright lights of big-time collegiate bb. None of us know if his career at the U is over...everyone is speculating on Tubby's next move...but I don't think there's much doubt on this board that he's on very thin ice at the U and his whole collegiate career is at a significant crossroads he's never faced before in his life. Sometime people have to careen toward rock-bottom before they are capable of making meaningful, positive changes in their behavior and unfortunately this may be the case here.

I swear, the entire Gopher athletic department has some sort of curse. (cue Detlef)

Top Bottom