Marcus Fuller with the details

Stealing from Macys, come on man, get it together.

White and Mbakwe had baggage

...and the recent events confirm that. Looks like Tubby is trying to win at all costs....not that I can really blame him. You gotta d owhat you gotta do to try to win B10 championships....

If accurate, it took place 3 days before the start of his first collegiate season. Sound decision making.

Quite frankly, I'm sick & tired of hearing the excuse, "Oh, they're 18-19 year old kids, they're going to make mistakes," especially if they're kids with other incidents in their past. Whatever happened to the simple concept of knowing the difference between right and wrong? If you're 18, you know the difference between right and wrong. No excuses.

...and the recent events confirm that. Looks like Tubby is trying to win at all costs....not that I can really blame him. You gotta d owhat you gotta do to try to win B10 championships....

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Tubby and Johnny C from Kin-tuck-ee are definitely in the same boat. In fact, Tubby's always reminded me a lot of Bob Huggins as well. Seriously, get a hold of yourself, man. Sometimes kids mess up. I'm a lot more concerned about the "win at all costs" attitude of the football program. I haven't seen ANY of the same attitude at the basketball program.

Mr. White might not ever play a game for the Gophers. I applaud Tubby and feel like if anyone is going to handle this with class, he will.

Can you just imagine Tubby getting that phone call? Makes life as an assistant or head coach in the NBA look much more appealing.

hey! it is UW myles long's "source". how you been art? ;)

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Tubby and Johnny C from Kin-tuck-ee are definitely in the same boat. In fact, Tubby's always reminded me a lot of Bob Huggins as well. Seriously, get a hold of yourself, man. Sometimes kids mess up. I'm a lot more concerned about the "win at all costs" attitude of the football program. I haven't seen ANY of the same attitude at the basketball program.

this is not a basketball vs. football thing

More details from the STrib:

A Macy’s security officer confronted White, who was with three other males, and tried to handcuff the 6-foot-8, 240-pound power forward, who allegedly stole $100 worth of merchandise.

According to a police report, White pushed the security guard “down to the ground two times.” Bloomington officers eventually arrived and arrested White, who was released with a citation.

White was also issued a one-year trespass notice by security officials at the Mall of America, according to the police. Bloomington police Cmdr. Jim Ryan said people who commit the crimes that White’s been accused of don’t usually serve jail time.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...Pk4DyCc75DiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aU7DYaGEP7vDEh7P:DiUs

Go Gophers!!

Whatever man. I'm looking forward to the spin doctoring on this one...,

Makes me think of why Al McGuire said he left coaching - "I got tired of watching an 18 year old kid run around with my paycheck in his back pocket."

If accurate, it took place 3 days before the start of his first collegiate season. Sound decision making.

Quite frankly, I'm sick & tired of hearing the excuse, "Oh, they're 18-19 year old kids, they're going to make mistakes," especially if they're kids with other incidents in their past. Whatever happened to the simple concept of knowing the difference between right and wrong? If you're 18, you know the difference between right and wrong. No excuses.

This is where I come out on this as well. When does it stop being "{so and so} was acting like an idiot" and simply become "{so and so} is an idiot"? At the rate he's going, Royce is on his way towards that second distinction. Better clean it up and fast.

White is done (or better be). Phil Haig recently got kicked off the Illinois baseball team for shoplifting. He was one of their best pitchers.

Royce is setting himself up nicely for a career in the NBDL or European minor leagues.

White is done (or better be). Phil Haig recently got kicked off the Illinois baseball team for shop lifting. He was one of their best pitchers.

Wouldn't bother me if that was the case. I already can't stand White. He is one of the most arrogant young men you will ever come across.

If true...

More details from the STrib:

A Macy’s security officer confronted White, who was with three other males, and tried to handcuff the 6-foot-8, 240-pound power forward, who allegedly stole $100 worth of merchandise.

According to a police report, White pushed the security guard “down to the ground two times.” Bloomington officers eventually arrived and arrested White, who was released with a citation.

White was also issued a one-year trespass notice by security officials at the Mall of America, according to the police. Bloomington police Cmdr. Jim Ryan said people who commit the crimes that White’s been accused of don’t usually serve jail time.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...Pk4DyCc75DiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aU7DYaGEP7vDEh7P:DiUs

Go Gophers!!

If this is true, Tubby can suspend him for the season as far as I am concerned.

Fifteen games for the crime and 15 games for being stupid as a rock!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

A sad, sad state of affairs. If true, Royce may be a goner in the wake of the suspension of Mbakwe. At least, we have more things to talk about in the Hole as more details surface. Truly sad.

Art, I'm not anywhere near ready to say Tubby is a "win at all costs" kind of coach whatsoever. His past doesn't speak to that at all.

But I gotta' say it. IF indeed these accusations against Royce are TRUE, this is some serious stuff. Stealing & a physical confrontation with a security guard (maybe it was Paul Blart?) should not be dealt with lightly. This shouldn't be a 1- or 2-game type suspension, especially considering his past, and especially considering the cheeseballs the Gophers play early in the season. Suspending him for the exhibitions and the first couple cupcakes wouldn't be much of a punishment.

There needs to be some serious repercussions. With the weak NC sked the Gophers have, I think keeping him on the bench through the first 9 games (including the exhibitions) would suffice (and if he's suspended longer that's OK, too). That would mean he sits for the Gophers' only significant NC games, Anaheim and Miami. Perhaps he'd get the message that his F-ups affect not only himself but also his teammates? Considering his past, I doubt that would sink in.

If this is true, Tubby can suspend him for the season as far as I am concerned.

Fifteen games for the crime and 15 games for being stupid as a rock!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Look at the bright side. At least he didn't have to be tasered. I'd say that's an improvement. This guy has all the warning signs. Has for some time too.

Art, I'm not anywhere near ready to say Tubby is a "win at all costs" kind of coach whatsoever. His past doesn't speak to that at all.

But I gotta' say it. If indeed these accusations against Royce are true, this is some serious stuff. Stealing & a physical confrontation with a security guard (maybe it was Paul Blart?) should not be dealt with lightly. This shouldn't be a 1- or 2-game type suspension, especially considering his past, and especially considering the cheeseballs the Gophers play early in the season. Suspending him for the exhibitions and the first couple cupcakes wouldn't be much of a punishment.

There needs to be some serious repercussions. With the weak NC sked the Gophers have, I think keeping him on the bench through the first 9 games (including the exhibitions) would suffice, and if he's susupended longer than that that's OK, too. That would mean he sits for the Gophers' only significant NC games, Anaheim and Miami. Perhaps he'd get the message that his F-ups affect not only himself but also his teammates?

Tubby and Maturi have no doubt known about this for a couple of weeks. Why the delay in announcing the suspensions?

But I gotta' say it. If indeed these accusations against Royce are true, this is some serious stuff. Stealing & a physical confrontation with a security guard (maybe it was Paul Blart?) should not be dealt with lightly. This shouldn't be a 1- or 2-game type suspension, especially considering his past, and especially considering the cheeseballs the Gophers play early in the season. Suspending him for the exhibitions and the first couple cupcakes wouldn't be much of a punishment.

There needs to be some serious repercussions. With the weak NC sked the Gophers have, I think keeping him on the bench through the first 9 games (including the exhibitions) would suffice, and if he's susupended longer than that that's OK, too. That would mean he sits for the Gophers' only significant NC games, Anaheim and Miami. Perhaps he'd get the message that his F-ups affect not only himself but also his teammates?

Exactly. First offenses are one thing, but he was already kicked out of Delasalle and his dorm room on campus, and now he beat up a security guard and got caught stealing. Punishment will increase accordingly with each moronic offense he commits. Unbelievable.

Why are you stealing and pushing security at Macy's? LOL Wow, the stupidity of some people for real...all I can do is laugh, seriously. I mean, okay, you try to get away with stealing, you get caught. You already did one dumb thing, now is the time for remorse and just taking your lumps. Nope, he decides to get physical with the security? I don't even know. If he gets kicked off the team, what can you say? He brought it on himself. The way Tubby seemed to kinda be nonchalant about it though, tells me he is at least leaving the door open for him to be able to return at some point, but man, he must be like "Royce dude, I put myself on the line for you and this is how you repay me????"

Article from the Daily Illini on October 1, 2009:

Illinois baseball player Phil Haig was dismissed from the team Tuesday for violating team rules.

"We place great emphasis on conducting yourself in a way that represents our team and the University in a positive way, and Phil did not fulfill his responsibilities," head coach Dan Hartleb said in a press release. "We will move forward as a team in our preparation for the 2010 season."

While the Illinois athletic department refused to comment any further on the situation, Haig, a junior, was arrested for stealing more than $300 worth of electronics from a location in the 1000 block of Second Street last Friday, according to a report by the Champaign Police Department.

Haig, an Inver Grove Heights, Minn., native, started 16 games for the Illini last season as a sophomore and posted a 7-3 record with a 4.92 ERA, leading the team in wins. The 20-year-old was one of the top pitchers on the Illini staff, frequently taking the mound for the first contest of Big Ten series.

Assuming the allegations are true, anyone in GopherHole who wants to cut White some slack on this latest incident is not doing much for the reputation of the U.

Tubby and Maturi have no doubt known about this for a couple of weeks. Why the delay in announcing the suspensions?

Because it makes bigger headlines two days before the exhibition opener.

Infuriating

I'm embarrassed for the University of Minnesota today. The players have effectively stabbed Tubby Smith in the back after he took a chance on them and overlooked all the baggage in their backgrounds and gave them a chance to play big time college basketball.

I mentioned a while ago that I thought Tubby would have his hands full with White and, unfortunately, I may be right. I didn't (and don't) have any inside information--just my observations of his demeanor on the court and on the bench. I think that White will be suspended for the season.

Two weeks ago I was wondering how Tubby would find PT for all of the talented players on the roster. I wish that were still a problem.

Who says they new? I mean do you really think Royce would tell them? I guess if they did know i would even be more disappointed than i am now.

I mean what do you do with this kid? Do you go jerry jones on him, like what he did to pack man jones?? I think it was pac man... anyways maybe we need to hire security for him to keep him out of trouble.... NOT!!

You have got to think this is the last straw with this kid, anything no matter how minor should cause him to be removed from the tream. I would support Tubby or any coach for that matter if he was removed from the team now. URRRR......hard couple days here in gopher dream land....

EDIT:
NO WAIT...Truthfully he should be gone now. Tubby gave hime his second chance when he accepted his LOI. This is it...hit the road and it really was not nice knowing you....

Top Bottom