Marcus Fuller with the details

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Tubby and Johnny C from Kin-tuck-ee are definitely in the same boat. In fact, Tubby's always reminded me a lot of Bob Huggins as well. Seriously, get a hold of yourself, man. Sometimes kids mess up. I'm a lot more concerned about the "win at all costs" attitude of the football program. I haven't seen ANY of the same attitude at the basketball program.

Ignore Art Vandelay. He is a Badger wannabe. He has yet to ever post something positive about Gopher athletics.

I'm all for second chances. But what bothers me is that kids like this get so many second chances. Meanwhile, there are so many kids that hardly get a first chance, let alone a second.

Until there are some teeth to the consequences, I see little prospect for change. Look at the NBA. How many of you would hire any given NBA player for a job with any kind of responsibility? I sure wouldn't. Nonetheless, these guys are paid extravagantly, and treated the same way. And it seems any given kid in Royce White's situation assumes he'll play in the "league" some day. Heck, should Royce leave Minnesota, he'll have any number of schools welcoming him into the program. At all levels of sports, the image needs to be cleaned up. Players need to be held accountable to the same standards the rest of us are.

Honestly, I prefer college sports over pro, perhaps naively, because there's still some aspect of innocence to it. That's fast diminishing. Perhaps I need to become a MIAC fan or something. I would hope that at least at those schools, something more is required of student athletes than athletic ability.

I hope Tubby has the courage to kick Royce off the team. What an absolute disgrace!

Great thinking...just give up on him already

He's had so many off the court problems, it's just not worth keeping this cancer around the rest of the team. He's already been kicked out of the dorms this year and now this. There's a lot you don't know about Royce. He's a cancer.

I'm aware of all his problems. I still don't believe you kick him off the team already. I don't think there's anything wrong with telling him this is his last chance to clean up his act and let him know that next time he is gone.

I agree with Lefty. He probably needs some assistance to cope with a few things. If this were an isolated incident..I would say he just did something stupid and leave it at that. I'm guessing he has some other issues to deal with....

that said, I don't know him and most here don't know him. Hopefully it works out for the best but until he shows he is ready to be mature and get in line..he shouldn't play

Who's he hanging out with?

This is the issue. If Royce wants a future with the Gopher basketball program, then he will at some point have to cut ties with his local "entourage" of friends. They are bad news for him. If he doesn't cut ties with them, then he will never, ever finish his Gopher career. It is really that simple. He'll have to make that choice soon, too.

If accurate, it took place 3 days before the start of his first collegiate season. Sound decision making.

Quite frankly, I'm sick & tired of hearing the excuse, "Oh, they're 18-19 year old kids, they're going to make mistakes," especially if they're kids with other incidents in their past. Whatever happened to the simple concept of knowing the difference between right and wrong? If you're 18, you know the difference between right and wrong. No excuses.
Those are my feelings too, SS.

And as I said in another thread, for every shoplifter caught, there are twenty to fifty times they get away with it. So was this White's first? Or his 20th?

This is the issue. If Royce wants a future with the Gopher basketball program, then he will at some point have to cut ties with his local "entourage" of friends. They are bad news for him. If he doesn't cut ties with them, then he will never, ever finish his Gopher career. It is really that simple. He'll have to make that choice soon, too.
Ever think that it may be White himself that is being the bad influence?

Bostick

I don't remember Devron being suspended last year for his offense in 08/08. I am somewhat surprised about that.

Anyone think his suspension this year was due to a repeat offense?

This is exactly it. When he decides to grow up and hang out with the team (people with goals and a future) instead of his "entourage" then the problems will slowly begin to drown out.

Why was he kicked out of the dorm?

I would give him 50 hours of community service: 25 hours working in a soup kitchen(which is where he could be in the future) and 25 hours being the gopher for the security guard he pushed down. If he fails to accomplish these tasks dismiss him.

Ever think that it may be White himself that is being the bad influence?

Could well be. But, the fact of the matter is, you are a product of whom you surround yourself with. And, right now, he is the product of a disfunctional environment that he has chosen to make for himself.

There are times when people can get steered into the right direction if they choose to surround themselves with the right people. Other times, there is no hope. I think there is hope here with Royce. He is not a stupid person. He is not hopeless. He still has a bright future if he decides to take advantage of the unbelievable opportunity he has in front of him. He has a support group headed up by Tubby Smith and assistance from some of the finest people in higher education today. He can absolutely be steered into a more advantageous situation if he chooses to take that route. He could be a productive person, get a degree, possibly pursue professional basketball, and contribute positively to society.

It is a hard choice to leave behind lifelong friends (maybe the hardest choice he'll ever have to make) and be considered a "sellout." But, if the young man chooses not to, then I predict a bleak future for him as a Gopher and quite possibly as a person.

Top Bottom