Marcus: Cory to MN "seems less likely now"; Al Nolen "very out of shape"

Kris Humphries was a lotto pick a couple years back (I know hes not a guard). Bobby Jackson had a very nice NBA career. Yes Texas has a couple recent guards Augustine and Ford that have made the league but they are nothing special in the league. Same goes for Nova who has had Lowry? Foye? nothing special. We have the key factor which is Rajon Rondo and his link to Tubby as I see it he is the only underclassman PGs that have come from these 3 schools that have really MADE it. With that said I dont think Cory is ready to jump to the league after one year, he doesnt have the body.

For those saying Marcus is just throwing stuff out there:
This is what many people are saying about Joseph in other areas. Its been said in the past few weeks that the NBA has become a real possiblity and it may weigh into his decision. Marcus isn't throwing crap out, he's reporting what the buzz has actually been. That's good reporting. The truth is that Nova and Texas have put some good guards in the league as of late. Its debatable whether thats because ofcoaching/style or just getting talented players but its a legit factor that should be reported

marcus

"I've heard that Cory's main goal is to get to the NBA after one or two years in college. He will have the best chance to do that at Texas or Villanova. It wouldn't surprise me if he has already made up his mind between one of the two schools."

Honestly, does Marcus believe he is a journalist?

He doesn't even qualify his unanamed source. Did he hear it on ESPN? Did his mailman mention Cory might want to play in the NBA?

I can say it wouldn't surprise me if Cory picks [fill in the blank]. There are pluses and minus to all his top five.

The fact is if Cory is great, he can go to the NBA after 1 or 2 seasons just as easily from the Big Ten as anywhere else. The NBA doesn't draft guys based on the jersey they wore in college they draft based on performance and the "upside".

I rarely agree with BGA, but he's completely right on this issue. If Cory wants to get to the NBA quickly Minnesota is at least as good of a choice, if not better than Texas or Villanova. Texas and Villanova both have other options, and there's no guarantee Cory even starts as a freshman at either of those schools. If Avery Bradley comes back to Texas looking to make an NBA run, you think Cory will have a big year there? The Gophers need a guy who can get his own shot, they (players and coaches) would be happy with Cory taking 12-15 shots a game as a freshman.

Also, the point made in this thread about no Gopher guards playing in the NBA in the last ten years is ridiculous, but also wrong. Kevin Burleson played with Charlotte in 06-07.

"I've heard that Cory's main goal is to get to the NBA after one or two years in college. He will have the best chance to do that at Texas or Villanova. It wouldn't surprise me if he has already made up his mind between one of the two schools."

He doesn't even qualify his unanamed source. Did he hear it on ESPN? Did his mailman mention Cory might want to play in the NBA?
But if Marcus said something like I've heard Cory is leaning towrads Minnesota because he thinks Tubby's system will help him get to the NBA.

I bet you wouldn't be saying the same stuff about Marcus.

I don't know, if I'm Cory I see a team desparate for a PG, and if it's true that Nolen is not in the best of shape, that just opens it up even more for him to basically come right in and start and play 30 minutes a game right off the bat. How can that not be an avenue to get in the NBA? Tubby's system is not going to keep him from becoming an NBA prospect. Look at what Devoe was able to do at PG once he got comfortable, and he's not even a PG. There is plenty of freedom here, Tubby just wants guys to play defense (which reportedly Cory excels at) and not be an idiot out there (turning the ball over a ton). Do that, and you'll play if there's room. And at PG, there is nothing but room considering we currently have one PG, who isn't even eligible right now. That's not to say Texas or Villanova don't have just as much to offer, but I'm just saying, as far as opportunities go, Minnesota might be his best bet. People will notice him because Tubby Smith is his coach and if we're winning games, we will draw attention.

If I'm Cory, I don't know how Minnesota doesn't look attractive as far as coming right in, getting a ton of minutes, and going pro in two years, which by the way is when his bro Devoe will graduate anyway. They can leave together, after winning a Big Ten title and making a Final Four run as our starting backcourt lol.

scools

But if Marcus said something like I've heard Cory is leaning towrads Minnesota because he thinks Tubby's system will help him get to the NBA.

I bet you wouldn't be saying the same stuff about Marcus.

You would lose that bet. It isn't his content that annoys me it is the "sourcing".

If Cory's only goal was to get to the NBA as fast as possible, then why did he refuse to consider Kentucky as a possibility when they came knocking on his door? Why do people never mention this? If he was so obsessed with going to the NBA after 1 year he would have considered Kentucky for longer than he did, which was approximately what, 3 minutes? If at all?

I also think the argument about Tubby's offense isn't very good. It is similar to the "which guards have we had drafted in the last 10 years" argument. We just simply haven't had the talent to really create off the dribble under Tubby. With Cory, we would have that talent and I think the offense would really open up. Can you imagine defenders collapsing on a driving Cory Joseph leaving Blake Hoffarber open for 3? And combine that with high-low Sampson/Iverson? It could be really fun to watch.

I also think the argument about Tubby's offense isn't very good. It is similar to the "which guards have we had drafted in the last 10 years" argument. We just simply haven't had the talent to really create off the dribble under Tubby. With Cory, we would have that talent and I think the offense would really open up. Can you imagine defenders collapsing on a driving Cory Joseph leaving Blake Hoffarber open for 3? And combine that with high-low Sampson/Iverson? It could be really fun to watch.

Yeah, if Cory comes here, Blake should have stellar senior season. With Cory, Blake, and Devoe on the wing, we'll be very lethal next season. No way defenders will be able to double team anyone. Then throw Ralph and Colton down in the paint and it'll be a beautiful thing next season!

GophersOnTheRise said:
If Cory's only goal was to get to the NBA as fast as possible, then why did he refuse to consider Kentucky as a possibility when they came knocking on his door? Why do people never mention this? If he was so obsessed with going to the NBA after 1 year he would have considered Kentucky for longer than he did, which was approximately what, 3 minutes? If at all?

Ding, ding, ding!!!!!!

I think that he didn't consider Kentucky due to Brandin Knight playing the point

I'm guessing it's not his only goal, but it's on the list I bet. I'd assume his comfort level and the style of play still have importance. Him not considering a school like Kentucky at all makes this article by Marcus a little puzzling in my mind.

I don't think it's a matter of it can't happen; it's just that it hasn't been proven yet here at Minnesota under Tubby is all. I think Cory would thrive here at Minnesota, but there's no way for him to know that for sure. I would love to see that lineup out on the floor though, would be deadly.

You're using one player as an example? Do you really think Devoe would've gotten that much time at Texas or had much better stats there?

CJ's playing time would not me an issue here... and he's already known as a great defender anyway. CJ is not a typical freshman player we've had. We haven't had a pg of CJ's talent, so you'd don't know how he would be asked to run the offense.

I guess I have to disagree with these quotes.

Look at players like Devoe Joseph, who was supposed to make a huge impact as a freshman, being a highly heralded recruit...he averaged 5-6 pts/game in 15 min/game? Hardly stats that would make highly heralded recruits knocking on our door.

Based on Tubby's system, freshman rarely have a chance to make a big impact because
1) they usually don't get as much clock as they do at other schools because they haven't learned to play major D-1 defense. If they haven't learned defense, Tubby won't play them
2) Freshman appear to have a very short leash in Tubby's system. A mistake, definitely two, will land you on the bench pretty quickly
3) Offensively, whatever our offense supposedly is, it really doesn't appear that a large % of our players can understand/run it easily, much less freshman coming in. High-low plays a huge part of our offense, and guards/wings that want to create don't have a lot of room for creativity when you have a play called from the bench almost every time down the floor that usually revolves around the posts.

Call me a Debbie Downer, but I just don't see the sexiness in our system that most high-major, blue chip recruits look for to showcase their skills for a year or two before jumping to the NBA.

I think that he didn't consider Kentucky due to Brandin Knight playing the point

They were after Cory before Knight commited to UK. If Kentucky was appealing to him, don't you think he would have at least added them to his list and considered them until he knew 100% for sure that Knight was going there? I'm not sayin that Cory doesn't want to go to a school that will prepare him for the NBA, I think it's safe to assume that he does, I just think the fact that he didn't consider UK proves that it's not the single most imporant thing while everything else is an afterthought. I think it's clear that other things are important to him too.

What does that even mean that the NBA has become a real possibly in the last few weeks? How has that not always been a real possibility?

For those saying Marcus is just throwing stuff out there:
This is what many people are saying about Joseph in other areas. Its been said in the past few weeks that the NBA has become a real possiblity and it may weigh into his decision. Marcus isn't throwing crap out, he's reporting what the buzz has actually been. That's good reporting. The truth is that Nova and Texas have put some good guards in the league as of late. Its debatable whether thats because ofcoaching/style or just getting talented players but its a legit factor that should be reported

What does that even mean that the NBA has become a real possibly in the last few weeks? How has that not always been a real possibility?

His NBA stock has been rising. He's looking like he could actually be a one-and-done player now.

What a terrible article by Marcus. He's really started to sound like Myron at his worst now. Some great speculation that he's hearing CJ wants to be in the NBA in a few years, so therefore he'd be better off at Texas or Villanova. Newsflash Marcus: those teams consistently produce more NBA players because they have been able to recruit more talented players. If we had the talent in our backyard that Texas has, we would be doing the same thing. I'm sick of hearing this system crap. CJ would have a better chance of being the focal point of our offense than he would at those schools. I don't really know anything about the pg situation at Texas, but Nova isn't exactly screwed at pg without CJ. He would instantly be our most talented player. I can't imagine he wouldn't be given tons of freedom on offense.

Not trying to pick a fight here, but of those players only Rondo was a high draft pick which is what Marcus apparently thinks is of priority to Cory. Bogans was a 2nd rounder while Hayes and Randolph didn't even get drafted. Kentucky also had much more national recognition than Minnesota when it comes to draft exposure. I do think Tubby could do a lot of good for Cory's game and think he is an NBA caliber player regardless, but I'm just not sure if Cory realizes this. It's not idiotic to think his chances of being a high NBA draft pick are better at another school in another system.

No fight, just reasonable debate.

Prince was 1st round pick. Bogans 2nd round. Fitch was Free Agent. So was Hayes. Rondo was 1st round pick. Morris was Free Agent.

Tubby started freshmen at Tulsa. Shea Seals and Michael Ruffin (2 of them) also made NBA.

Jumaine Jones was recruited by Tubby to Georgia but he started the year after Tubby left for UK. Jones was high NBA draft pick.

Maybe CJ just really likes 6th Street and the warm weather in Austin.

Perception can be reality. How many recent gopher guards are in the NBA?

Lawrence McKenzie is getting paychecks from the NBA... playing for the Los Angeles – NBA D-League.

NBA scouts are already aware of Cory, if he plays well as a Gopher it would not hinder his chances of making it to the NBA.

Your missing the point by trying to compare Monson recruits to Tubby Smith.

Tubby has started freshmen everywhere he's coached. At UK (for example) these frosh started.

1999 - Tay Prince and Desmond Allison shared SG starting duties.
2000 - Keith Bogans started at SG.
2001 - Jason Parker started at C and Gerald Fitch at SG.
2002 - Chuck Hayes started at F most of the season.
2005 - Randolph Morris (C) and Rajon Rondo (PG) started all year.

Of those 8 players, 6 made the NBA.

Also Marcus saying Al is out of shape was laughable, way to pull that one out of your can! Devoe played his best basketball at pg, so that is always an options and why doesn't he list Bryant Allen on next years roster? Nice doom and gloom story.

What a terrible article by Marcus. He's really started to sound like Myron at his worst now. Some great speculation that he's hearing CJ wants to be in the NBA in a few years, so therefore he'd be better off at Texas or Villanova. Newsflash Marcus: those teams consistently produce more NBA players because they have been able to recruit more talented players. If we had the talent in our backyard that Texas has, we would be doing the same thing. I'm sick of hearing this system crap. CJ would have a better chance of being the focal point of our offense than he would at those schools. I don't really know anything about the pg situation at Texas, but Nova isn't exactly screwed at pg without CJ. He would instantly be our most talented player. I can't imagine he wouldn't be given tons of freedom on offense.

Texas has plenty of guards too, assuming Bradley returns. J'Covan Brown is a good point guard for them who averaged just under 10 points last season as a freshman. Not to mention Ward will be back who averaged about 9 points as a sophomore point guard before he tore something in his leg (either quad or hamstring I think). There is no doubt that he would recieve the most playing time at Minnesota and be more of a focal point of the offense than the other schools he is considering.

What? J'Covan Brown was terrible.

You mean the guy who had 28 points against Kansas, 20 in their last game against Wake Forest, 15 against Baylor and Oklahoma, 14 and 10 against Texas A&M, and 21 against UNC as a freshman? I only saw him play a couple times, so I don't know everything about his game, but for a freshman those numbers don't seem terrible to me.

You mean the guy who had 28 points against Kansas, 20 in their last game against Wake Forest, 15 against Baylor and Oklahoma, 14 and 10 against Texas A&M, and 21 against UNC as a freshman? I only saw him play a couple times, so I don't know everything about his game, but for a freshman those numbers don't seem terrible to me.

He had injury problems but is a very talented player.

No, I'm talking about all of the other games and his Nolenesque shooting %.

No, I'm talking about all of the other games and his Nolenesque shooting %.

I didn't look that deeply into it, but evidently he did shoot a very low percentage. Maybe FOT is right and it had more to do with injuries. I have no idea. I was just making assumptions, which obviously aren't always correct. He still seemed pretty talented from the limited time that I did see him though.

Texas has plenty of guards too, assuming Bradley returns. J'Covan Brown is a good point guard for them who averaged just under 10 points last season as a freshman. Not to mention Ward will be back who averaged about 9 points as a sophomore point guard before he tore something in his leg (either quad or hamstring I think). There is no doubt that he would recieve the most playing time at Minnesota and be more of a focal point of the offense than the other schools he is considering.

If Joseph turns out to be as good as advertised, regardless of where he goes do you think he is really going to be that concerned or worried about not being able to earn significant playing time.

If Joseph turns out to be as good as advertised, regardless of where he goes do you think he is really going to be that concerned or worried about not being able to earn significant playing time.

I think Cory will get significant playing time anywhere. My point is more about whether he is the focal point of the offense or not. He could either be one of the main guys at Texas or Villanova, or he could be THE guy here. Obviously other people will contribute plenty too if he comes here, but if he's competeing with Maalik Wayns, Corey Stokes, and Corey Fisher I think he will be less of a focal point then if he was here. Same goes with if he was playing with Bradley, Thompson, and Hamilton at Texas. Just my opinion.

Top Bottom