Marcus blog: Young defensive lineman Hageman has loads of potential

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Young defensive lineman Hageman has loads of potential
By Marcus Fuller

Brandon Kirksey had the distinction of being the strongest player on Minnesota's defense last year, but that now likely belongs to a redshirt freshman.

Former tight end Ra'Shede Hageman's transition into a load at defensive end amazes even Kirksey, a junior defensive tackle. They both bench press over 400 pounds, but Hageman power cleans 390 pounds.

"His frame is ridiculous," Kirksey said of the 6-foot-6, 295-pound Hageman. "I don't take anything away from him. Any success he has is going to help the team and help me."

Kirksey and Hageman are roommates, along with 6-6, 305-pound freshman defensive tackle Sean Ferguson, sophomore defensive end D.L. Wilhite and Kendall Gregory-McGhee.

Hageman and Gregory-McGhee gained about 25 pounds while sitting out their freshman year. Wilhite put on about 10 pounds. And Ferguson arrived in the spring as massive as he is now.

Kirksey joked that there is never anything to eat in the house. It's easy to see why.

-- Gophers coach Tim Brewster said the 295-pound Kirksey has a chance to be one of the top defensive tackles in the Big Ten this year.

The St. Louis native said he's been hearing that kind of praise from his defensive line coach Tim Cross since last season ended, and even more after he was named a captain.

"It motivates me to know that my coach feels that way about me," he said. "It's nothing new. Coach Cross and I always talk about it, but it's time to fill the shoes."

-- The battle in the trenches at fall camp will resemble that of other Big Ten teams more than a year ago, because the offensive line is also getting bigger.

Kirksey hopes that will make Minnesota's defensive line, which has four new starters, more prepared for the season.

"I feel like in practice we can go harder than we do in the game," he said. "It's all about competing. I like the fact that the offensive line is getting bigger and stronger."

The entire starting offensive line returns with tackles Dom Alford and Jeff Wills, guards Chris Bunders and Matt Carufel and center D.J. Burris. But Brewster said tackles Ed Olson and Brooks Michel, guard Ryan Orton and cener Ryan Wynn could push for starting jobs.

-- The Gophers are four-point underdogs for their Sept. 2 season opener against Middle Tennessee State. Brewster said it was "deservedly so" and that he preferred to be overlooked.

But senior fullback Jon Hoese thought the oddsmakers' prediction was a lack of respect.

"It's a slap in the face, but it's not like they are a small college team with nothing to show for it," Hoese said of Middle Tennessee State, which won 10 games last year. "This whole season a lot of people are going to doubt us. We are going to have to prove them wrong."

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2010/08/young-defensive-linemen-have-l.html

Go Gophers!!

It amazes me how under the radar this group seems to be (to the "experts').

Yeah, they're young and somewhat inexperienced. You can fool linebackers and d-backs with routes and blocking tricks. It is tougher on the line to fool "big and strong".

A d-lineman with superior physical size and ability versus his o-line opponents has a distinct advantage. If he's bigger, stronger and quicker, the o-lineman's only defense is to hold or trip. I think it is far easier to play younger d-lineman than any other defensive position.

I think this will be an exceptional group & they will surprise a lot of teams. I love the size and athleticism. I think these guys are hungry (no pun intended) to prove something this year. IMO, they will be very dominante which should translate into better LB & DB play; which will be very important due to the lack of experience at those positions. I can't wait for the first game!!!:party:

I'm still jaded from the Mason years. I know this is different, but my heart has been broken many times. I am _not_ going to get my hopes up that our D-Line is going to dominate. I am _NOT_ going to get my hopes up that our D-Line is going to dominate. I AM _NOT_ going to get my hopes up that tour D-Line is going to to dominate.

Oh *&%$ it. MY HOPES ARE WAY UP!!!! Bring on the pain boys!

Young Defensive lineman Hageman has loads of potential

I did not know that. Come on Marcus, while your at it how about confirming he is a member of the Big Man's group. The only thing I think you didn't mention is his 600 pound squat.

I did not know that. Come on Marcus, while your at it how about confirming he is a member of the Big Man's group. The only thing I think you didn't mention is his 600 pound squat.

Bitter much? Someone piss in your Cheerios this morning?

You don't feel tardy

But you are late to the conversation. There have been threads about the defense, the weight room and Hageman.

This was on the board about 2 weeks ago.

The Representative started this thread asking, "How many people are benching 400lbs+, squating 600lbs+, cleaning 350lbs+?"

Coincidentally, those just happen to be the numbers required for membership in the "Big Man's Club" (aka "It's a Big Man's Game"). Last year, there were only four members (Moen, Small, Burris, Jacobs). Two graduated (Moen and Small) and, so far, only one new member has joined the club, Ra'Shede Hageman, to go along with Jacobs and Burris.

So if it was covered, this is not news.

But you are late to the conversation. There have been threads about the defense, the weight room and Hageman.

This was on the board about 2 weeks ago.

So if it was covered, this is not news.

Goody. Since I haven't seen biskar around lately perhaps he wasn't lurking during the time that happened. Not everyone has time to read threads from 2 weeks ago.

I hate multiple threads on the same topic, but its not worth getting pissy over. And if you're gonna be cranky about it, at least provide a link to the other threads.

This was a thread Starnges put up on Scout's story about our safeties being our strength.

QUOTE=auric@heart;238575]Anchoring the defensive backfield are senior starters Kim Royston and Kyle Theret. Minnesota will rely on these two head-hunters to ignite the defense with their physical play and provide leadership for a group of inexperienced defenders

I disagree with this opening sentence. First it could be argued that having Carter at corner able to press man coverage is certainly a strength, able to provide some leadership, if not be an anchor in the secondary. And then to overlook his talent and include him in a group of inexperienced defenders is the final straw. And when it comes to inexperienced defenders is he including Rallis, Cooper, Tinsley, Edwards, Kirksey? Again certainly Edwards and Kirksey have the ability to ignite the defense with their physical play.

The only true inexperienced player on the first team defense is probably the most anticipated additon. Mr. Hageman.[/QUOTE]

Again, you asked for it.

Just because something is posted on Gopherhole does not mean it's reached the audience that is GOPHER NATION.

When my father is looking for information on his beloved Gophers, do you think he looks for threads started by Stargenes? ("Man that Stargenes is quite credible.") Or do you think he reads the newspaper?

Let me guess, you're one of the guys who bashes sid for reporting the signing of a kid YOU knew about months ago.

People who regularly visit Gopher Hole are in the minority of Gopher fans

Just because something is posted on Gopherhole does not mean it's reached the audience that is GOPHER NATION.

When my father is looking for information on his beloved Gophers, do you think he looks for threads started by Stargenes? ("Man that Stargenes is quite credible.") Or do you think he reads the newspaper?

Let me guess, you're one of the guys who bashes sid for reporting the signing of a kid YOU knew about months ago.

People who regularly visit Gopher Hole are in the minority of Gopher fans

And Potential Gopher Fans

Get the word out

Top Bottom