Marching Band Improvement

Sorry...I am going to say it because I know others are thinking it. I am there to watch a football game. What does or does not happen with the band is about #99 on the list of concerns for gameday.

One reason we don't go to Madison is they charge opposing bands seat tickets. That was the case a few years ago at least, and I heard it second hand so can anyone corroborate? Also, I believe WI rescinded our invitation to Madison once in the mid-'00's.
I love when opposing bands visit. But limit them to a brief pre-game & halftime and after scores. No in-game music and NO 5th quarter.

The bigger reason nobody takes their band to wisconsin is the cost to repair the instruments and the risk to your people due to flying coins, batteries, etc.

With a multi-million dollar athletic budget, they could find the money.

You've just hit on one of the big problems the band faces...they are not part of the Athletic Department and operate outside of that budget. It is on of many small but important changes I hope will get made under a new AD.

I get a kick out of how wherever in the country you go, everyone thinks their band is the best. They should have a bunch of semi made-up championships, like the dance teams and cheerleaders do. Let's get some actual rankings!

You've just hit on one of the big problems the band faces...they are not part of the Athletic Department and operate outside of that budget. It is on of many small but important changes I hope will get made under a new AD.
I understand the band operates under the School of Music, but do they also pay for everything through SOM? I can see things like instruments & music paid through SOM, but what about logistics like shuttles to the Dome (though not relevant now)? I'm sure some sharing of expenses could be easily worked out while keeping the band under the SOM.

The Ohio State band is so over-rated and fans saw that last fall at the Bank.

It may surprise many of you, but our marching band is considered a top college band in the United States and is probably the best marching band in the Big Ten.
This is simply not true, anyone who knows anything about college and Big Ten marching bands should be able to see the the OSU band is a cut above the rest. They are all highly skilled and each member of the band has to pass an audition just to get in the band. There is a reason Script Ohio is a symbol of college football, it is very difficult to perform and fun to watch.

The U of Minnesota band is great, and I love them, but to call them the best in the Big Ten is not even close. If it was so well regarded nationally where is our Sudler Trophy? Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, Michigan State, Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue, Nebraska, Penn State, and even Indiana have won the Sudler Trophy.

This is simply not true, anyone who knows anything about college and Big Ten marching bands should be able to see the the OSU band is a cut above the rest. They are all highly skilled and each member of the band has to pass an audition just to get in the band. There is a reason Script Ohio is a symbol of college football, it is very difficult to perform and fun to watch.

The U of Minnesota band is great, and I love them, but to call them the best in the Big Ten is not even close. If it was so well regarded nationally where is our Sudler Trophy? Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, Michigan State, Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue, Nebraska, Penn State, and even Indiana have won the Sudler Trophy.
I've heard the Sudler Trophy discussed with people "in the know". There's a lot of politicking involved, which our band does NOT do. The fact that Iowa & Indiana have won it should tell you something.

I've heard the Sudler Trophy discussed with people "in the know". There's a lot of politicking involved, which our band does NOT do. The fact that Iowa & Indiana have won it should tell you something.
Never the less, although the pregame show is one of the best in the conference, the band as a whole is very middle of the pack.

Marching Band Improfvement

I did say I was biased in my previous post, did I not? Of course I am biased being a marching band parent who happens to love Gopher football also.

The marching band is part of the Gopher Football day experience people. Has been. Always will be. Of course I watch the game. I just happen to be a parent with a son in the marching band.

Will I be at the games next year with him not in the band? Absolutely!

Perhaps I was over-the-top in saying that our band was #1 in the Big Ten. I do know that they are very (all 325) talented and deserve some recognition for that talent and dedication.

Did you know that over 90% of the marching band members are not music majors? They are students with majors all across the academic spectrum like engineering and bio-chemistry. I believe the marching band over-all gpa last year was 3.65.

BTW, North Dakota State is bringing their marching band to the Bank this Saturday night also.

I understand the band operates under the School of Music, but do they also pay for everything through SOM? I can see things like instruments & music paid through SOM, but what about logistics like shuttles to the Dome (though not relevant now)? I'm sure some sharing of expenses could be easily worked out while keeping the band under the SOM.

My understanding is yes, it is all handled via SOM funding. That's based on conversations with folks who have better connections to the band than I do and via reading the e-mail conversations between folks like Bayfield and the band leadership so I can't link to any great primary source to prove it. :)

Sorry...I am going to say it because I know others are thinking it. I am there to watch a football game... not dudes in the flag twirling corp. seriously not ok.

I did say I was biased in my previous post, did I not? Of course I am biased being a marching band parent who happens to love Gopher football also.

The marching band is part of the Gopher Football day experience people. Has been. Always will be. Of course I watch the game. I just happen to be a parent with a son in the marching band.

Will I be at the games next year with him not in the band? Absolutely!

Perhaps I was over-the-top in saying that our band was #1 in the Big Ten. I do know that they are very (all 325) talented and deserve some recognition for that talent and dedication.

Did you know that over 90% of the marching band members are not music majors? They are students with majors all across the academic spectrum like engineering and bio-chemistry. I believe the marching band over-all gpa last year was 3.65.

First let me say I was in the band for 4 years, a trombone. I love the band, our school, and our football team.

That impressive 3.65 GPA they always quote is because they assume all the incoming freshmen have a 4.0. Trust me. The band is full of great people - some smart, some funny, some really nice, but they (we) were not a 3.6+ average GPA group. A- across the board is simply not true.

In addition, I think our band is MUCH better than it gets credit for. I think issues that are being discussed here and in other threads have contributed - poor mic'ing, the dome washing sound out further, the team being so bad it barely was shown or discussed let alone the band, and the halftime form showing a much more boring (but musically talented) show to the majority of the crowd that miss pregame. That said, we are maybe #3-7 in the B1G depending on what game you go to (the show might change your opinion). I think our pregame could be top 3 entertainment, technical, originality, and musically but that's my opinion.

Also, to any dbags on here complaining about how the band isn't something you should care about, why not go watch the NFL instead? Bands are clearly a major part of COLLEGE football - the atmosphere, halftime, pregame, plaza shows, school songs, students supporting other students (no different than the importance of a student section), etc. They can get the crowd going and so much more. Again, if you hate bands, go watch a sporting even without one.

Sorry...I am going to say it because I know others are thinking it. I am there to watch a football game... not dudes in the flag twirling corp. seriously not ok.

This coming from the guy who collects dolls? :eek:

This coming from the guy who collects dolls? :eek:

At first I was sad when I saw someone give that comment the time of day as it appeared like it was just a call out for attention. You know... "don't feed the trolls." But then when I actually read your response, I got a very good chuckle... so thank you.

I'm there to watch the game too. Isn't it great the way the band performs and plays between plays, during half time, before the game, etc. and not actually during action on the field? Not exactly a conflict of interest, or a valid point to be made on a message board as if it is a conflict. On the other hand, the marching bands sure are one of the reasons I like the college atmosphere better than pro. Apparently it means something to coach Kill too as he had the Freshmen spend time with the band to learn the school songs. Pretty sure he isn't one of te others "thinking it."

Another Visiting Band visiting the bank with there fans, YEAH!

Not. Does this mean we get to stick Joel Maturi next to them, and dress him up in a Bison uniform and have him be the conductor? Maybe dress him up in a uniform and have him toss a baton or a flag. Joel = does not get it.

Not. Does this mean we get to stick Joel Maturi next to them, and dress him up in a Bison uniform and have him be the conductor? Maybe dress him up in a uniform and have him toss a baton or a flag. Joel = does not get it.

Just because our band doesn't travel, doesn't mean we don't let other bands travel here.

Sorry, but I'd argue that you don't get it. Basically what you're saying is that we should be pretty much the only school actively preventing other bands from appearing because A) our fans sell their seats to opposing teams and B) our school doesn't make sending our band to away games a priority. In other words, because we suck we'll make a petty move and not let a 1AA team send its band along. I mean, for god's sakes, you're freaking out over the NDSU Bison marching band.

Stop being so insecure about the whole deal. Big time schools let opposing bands come play. The Gophers may not be a big time football program but that's no reason to act small-time when it comes to the bands.

Sorry dude, you do not invite the oposing teams band when there are something like 10,000 + tickets sold to oposing fans, same with the Badger band, you do not invite them when 25,000 + Badger fans have purchased tickets. I have no problem with rivalry games when the oposing band is there, but were in a building state for the program and do not need the opposing team to have any kind of advantage sound or otherwise helping them out. Count me as someone that doesn't think we need the Bison band there blaring away and playing music and helping there crowd be loud when we're on offense. We need every advantage we can get when were still having opposing fans fill up our stadium. I get the U needs the revenue we do not need to willfully invite the band of the opponent when we do not have to. We do not need to be doing anyone else favors until the program is at a state where this situation does not disadvantage the home team. This may ad to the overall atmoshpere and excitement of the game but make no mistake about it, this helps the other team, not the Gophers. Why go out of your way to put out the WELCOME Matt? Dislike allowing them to bring there band. Welcome visitors, take advantage of everything including being able to increase the noise when the Gophers are on offense. Joel will never get that fact, you to do not create any type of advantage for the visitors under any circumnstance.

Sorry dude, you do not invite the oposing teams band when there are something like 10,000 + tickets sold to oposing fans, same with the Badger band, you do not invite them when 25,000 + Badger fans have purchased tickets. I have no problem with rivalry games when the oposing band is there, but were in a building state for the program and do not need the opposing team to have any kind of advantage sound or otherwise helping them out. Count me as someone that doesn't think we need the Bison band there blaring away and playing music and helping there crowd be loud when we're on offense. We need every advantage we can get when were still having opposing fans fill up our stadium. I get the U needs the revenue we do not need to willfully invite the band of the opponent when we do not have to. We do not need to be doing anyone else favors until the program is at a state where this situation does not disadvantage the home team. This may ad to the overall atmoshpere and excitement of the game but make no mistake about it, this helps the other team, not the Gophers. Why go out of your way to put out the WELCOME Matt? Dislike allowing them to bring there band. Welcome visitors, take advantage of everything including being able to increase the noise when the Gophers are on offense. Joel will never get that fact, you to do not create any type of advantage for the visitors under any circumnstance.
I can understand your point when it comes to the Badgers in the Dome. They certainly did not need any assistance and I'll agree that could/should have been different. But if the Gophers can't beat NDSU, then there are bigger problems. And their little band shouldn't be a factor. If it is, well s**t. I mean, seriously.

But when it comes to the Badgers, they won't have 25K there this fall. Iowa couldn't manage better than 7-8K, and that was with a HORRID season with no hope and no new HC to look forward too. No matter how few games we win this year I sincerely doubt our fanbase reaches the same lows as last season (I shudder to think how bad that was).

You put out the welcome mat because it's what big boy programs do. Big boy programs don't do "oh god, your band might make noise and we fear losing to your 1AA team because of it". I'm sorry. No. The Gophers may be rebuilding, but the day we don't allow the Bison band into TCF because the U fears how it might help a 1AA team is the day we should probably give up on playing in the B1G.

Joel will never get that fact, you to do not create any type of advantage for the visitors under any circumnstance.
Then no matter how good the Gophers ever get we can never have an opposing band present? Who forgot to tell Florida State? I bet you those fans are pissed the OK band was present. Probably turned the tide for the Sooners! The Gophers should always make fearful decisions? Is the U some weak ass MAC school? There are a lot of things to bag on Maturi about. Allowing an opposing band into TCF ranks low on that list.

Traveling

As a recent grad, I don't really plan on donating to the Athletic department (yes, I realize they aren't under the AD umbrella, but ultimately I bet you that decision gets made there) until they make sending the band to ONE away game per year a priority. It's moronic that we're unable to scrap together the money to send the band to one game a year when teams like NDSU, SDSU, and others can afford to send their band (or at least a pep band).

Lastly, when I make my millions, the first check is going to buy the U of MN band a drill writer and the second is for an arranger. No more high school stock tunes and modern art fallopian tube forms.

I grew up watching the Pride of Minnesota when O'Neil Sanford was directing. His arrangements were INCREDIBLE! It really set our band apart. They were designed for marching band and to make an impact. I still get shivers when I think about the band playing his arrangement of Chuck Mangione's Children of Sanchez. The brass and drum line driven power and majesty was awesome and designed to be heard in an outdoor stadium (The Brickhouse!).

Those arrangements made the band stand out. I'm pretty sure they used lyres back then and I don't see any reason why the band should have to memorize the music. Spend more time on the drill and playing better arrangements and less memorizing music!

As a recent grad, I don't really plan on donating to the Athletic department (yes, I realize they aren't under the AD umbrella, but ultimately I bet you that decision gets made there) until they make sending the band to ONE away game per year a priority. It's moronic that we're unable to scrap together the money to send the band to one game a year when teams like NDSU, SDSU, and others can afford to send their band (or at least a pep band).
Well, you're not really sending any message since the money for the band's travel doesn't come from the athletic dept. It comes from the School of Music.

first off, we don't "invite" the other bands to come, they ask permission. It is common courtesy among colleges to accept most visiting bands. The same would hold true if we asked any team if we could travel to an away game (which is a shame that we don't anymore and the A.D. should chip in money to the Band to get them on the road once a year). Also, as a fan and former band member, and having been to every Big10 Stadium, I think the bands are a HUGE part of the College Game Day Experience and one of the reasons I LOVE college football. I take it as a compliment when a band wants to come visit our campus and look forward to seeing two college bands at the game. Bring it on, I say.

There is a big difference between "inviting" and "giving permission" other bands to come to TCF. Of course the U should permit it, just like I'd expect any other school to permit our band to visit.

Does anyone have an example of a host school saying "NO" to allowing cheerleaders or bands to travel with visiting teams? I'm assuming it is rare, or never happens.

Top Bottom