Marching Band Improvement

nemosgold

Reaction score
Not a knock on the kids. Mr. Director:

1.) Play the ROUSER at key points in the game, not some other school song. The ROUSER will get people off their rear ends. If you play it 40 times you play it 40 times. Watch a game on TV other schools do this.

2.) Add some movement to your half time. I still think Wisconsin has the best half time shows. Why they MOVE! I've heard the music is at a 5th grade level that Wisconsin plays, who cares it's a football game not a concert at orchestra hall.

3.) Have 1/2 your band face one direction and 1/2 face the opposite direction. When you turn towards the home sideline I can barley here you.

4.) Move or eliminate the swinging gates, yes I know it's tradition but, it doesn't fit where you have it.

#4 (eliminate) will never, ever, ever happen. It's arguably the BEST part of pregame, with the only contenders being expanding and then rotating the block M. The swinging gates and Battle Hymn are one of our oldest and best traditions. If we were a football powerhouse still I would bet it would be in the top college football traditions (similar to dotting the i at OSU) - it incorporates militart, the colors, and/or guests of honor in addition to the DM/twirler. One of my favorite parts.

Agree totally on movement during halftime.

I like the fact that we have many songs but certainly wouldn't mind hearing the Rouser more often.

1.) Play the ROUSER at key points in the game, not some other school song. The ROUSER will get people off their rear ends. If you play it 40 times you play it 40 times. Watch a game on TV other schools do this.

2.) Add some movement to your half time. I still think Wisconsin has the best half time shows. Why they MOVE! I've heard the music is at a 5th grade level that Wisconsin plays, who cares it's a football game not a concert at orchestra hall.

3.) Have 1/2 your band face one direction and 1/2 face the opposite direction. When you turn towards the home sideline I can barley here you.

4.) Move or eliminate the swinging gates, yes I know it's tradition but, it doesn't fit where you have it.

I doubt Mr. Diem reads GH. You may want to email him with your suggestions. [email protected]

He has responded to my emails in the past.

As a band alum I feel compelled to respond:

1) The great Dr. Ben made it a point to tell his subsequent band directors that followed in his footsteps to avoid overplaying the rouser and add variety with the other school songs to keep them alive. While I wish we played the rouser a bit more, I certainly don't want to turn into Michigan where they play one song so many times even announcers make fun of them.

2) +infinity. I've wanted for so many years to go to a high step halftime. First, so many people arrive late/just before gametime they never even see the high step pregame. The only exposure they get in hearing and seeing the band is from the crappy, boring, slow halftime performances featuring amoeba-like formations. It would be great to see the band high step at halftime - the band could easily prepare enough to pull it off. This is the BIG TEN, not some core-style competition routine!!!

3) Nope, never going to happen. Some things are just unachievable, and unfortunately one of them is having all people in the stadium hear the band at optimum levels all the time.

4) You should be banned from this board for suggesting this.

Your suggestions might go a lot further without the WI praise.

Eliminate the swinging gates? Sacrilege! I personally love the band's pre-game ritual. It dwarfs just about every place I've been.

I'm with the OP on points 1 and 2 though.

#1 - playing it 40 times? It won't get people off their rear ends if you saturate the selection with the Rouser on times other than big plays/end of quarter/ score. Let's not pull a USC.
#2 - I don't know if you guys realize this (you don't), but the band had literally 4 real days to learn this weeks halftime show and memorize the music (i believe Wisco uses lyres(?)) because of the time crunch with several games in a row. And yeah, they go to class too.
#3 - Most of the band faces the majority of our fans and a small section outside the large band section faces to the opposite side.
#4 - You have got to be kidding me.

We need to have a "band day" like most other schools have. Invite a ton of HS marching bands to the game (not like we don't have the tickets). It's free recruiting for the band, and it's an easy show week for those times when you get 3-4 home games in a row (just make a big block M and fill it with HS kids blasting away with our band on easy pep band/patriotic tunes + the rouser.)

The recruiting aspect of this is huge. Most good college bands turn away 2 or 3 kids who audition for every one who makes it. After that process, they still only march the best ones and have the rest as alternates. In addition to increasing the baseline quality, you have the fear of being an alternate motivating the kids to be on top of their stuff and stay in shape physically and on their horns. We need the numbers of interested kids to let us be selective, and right now we don't have them. Before you bring it up, it has nothing to do with quality of the football team. There are plenty of schools with historically sucky teams but good bands. Michigan State, Illinois, and Purdue come to mind immediately.

Lastly, when I make my millions, the first check is going to buy the U of MN band a drill writer and the second is for an arranger. No more high school stock tunes and modern art fallopian tube forms.

I enjoy the band a lot. It is a big part of big time college football and I am proud of our band. The team has been average to mediocre to poor for most of my lifetime so a good band has always been one thing that connects the game day atmosphere to the big time event it should be. It is because of this passion I tend to comment on the following same points every time this subject comes up:

1. Dating as far back as the metrodome, the mic situation is set up in such a way that the rouser is nearly unrecognizable when hearing it on TV. Sometimes it sounds like an all-flute band and other times the Tubas overpower everything. This just doesn't happen with other bands, even small ones visiting our stadium such as USC last year. There is something funky about the MN mic location that has been mastered long ago elsewhere.

2. The band pit at TCF is poorly designed. Not only is it too small but it's sunken location means the band is both invisible to many, and inaudible to most. I would seriously look at rebuilding those bleachers to get the band where they can be seen and heard by more people in the stadium.

The original post in this thread nearly caused me to blow Mt. Dew out of my nose at the unthinkable suggestion of eliminating the swinging gates. However, it did stimulate thought over the halftime show. I see the point. It is ironic how I hustle into the stadium to see the pre game each week despite the fact it is always the same, while I usually head to the concourse at halftime despite that show being unique each week.

We need to have a "band day" like most other schools have. Invite a ton of HS marching bands to the game (not like we don't have the tickets). It's free recruiting for the band, and it's an easy show week for those times when you get 3-4 home games in a row (just make a big block M and fill it with HS kids blasting away with our band on easy pep band/patriotic tunes + the rouser.)

The recruiting aspect of this is huge. Most good college bands turn away 2 or 3 kids who audition for every one who makes it. After that process, they still only march the best ones and have the rest as alternates. In addition to increasing the baseline quality, you have the fear of being an alternate motivating the kids to be on top of their stuff and stay in shape physically and on their horns. We need the numbers of interested kids to let us be selective, and right now we don't have them. Before you bring it up, it has nothing to do with quality of the football team. There are plenty of schools with historically sucky teams but good bands. Michigan State, Illinois, and Purdue come to mind immediately.

Lastly, when I make my millions, the first check is going to buy the U of MN band a drill writer and the second is for an arranger. No more high school stock tunes and modern art fallopian tube forms.

I have a friend whose son is a senior and a fourth year band member. He said that there is now enough interest in the band that there are auditions, so they no longer take all comers.

I go, as a percentage, to many more hoops than fb games and the rouser is an issue. I can't tell you how often the gophers have gone on a run, the other team calls timeout, the barn is rocking and the band plays.....something other than the rouser. It takes the air out of the building.

I have a friend whose son is a senior and a fourth year band member. He said that there is now enough interest in the band that there are auditions, so they no longer take all comers.

Excellent! That's an improvement over just a couple years ago. Now we just need to build up interest to the point where we take 25-33% of auditioners and hire our own arranger.

Wait wait wait...you want MORE motion/marching in the halftime routine but want them to have LESS in the pregame by eliminating the swinging gates? WTF?

As for #3, that was one reason people chose the home sideline for their seats. You get sun, I get the band. =)

It is ironic how I hustle into the stadium to see the pre game each week despite the fact it is always the same, while I usually head to the concourse at halftime despite that show being unique each week.

Totally agree! I love the pre game show. It's tradition! The halftime show - eh.

We need the numbers of interested kids to let us be selective, and right now we don't have them. Before you bring it up, it has nothing to do with quality of the football team. There are plenty of schools with historically sucky teams but good bands. Michigan State, Illinois, and Purdue come to mind immediately.
I disagree. I believe the success of the team has at least something to do with band interest. What makes a great band is upper-classmen leadership. In order to get kids to stick with it 3+ years, you need some incentive. Bowl trips and away games are huge for retention.
Our band is on par with MSU, IL, & PU. However, OSU is far and away the best band in the conference, if not the nation. I'm not sure exactly what makes them so much better than everyone else, but it's probably a combination of demand for excellence and incentives to keep the upperclassmen around.
At the first Block G performance, Prof. Diem asked all the rookies to raise their hand. I'm guessing it was well over a third of the band.

#1 - playing it 40 times? It won't get people off their rear ends if you saturate the selection with the Rouser on times other than big plays/end of quarter/ score. Let's not pull a USC.
#2 - I don't know if you guys realize this (you don't), but the band had literally 4 real days to learn this weeks halftime show and memorize the music (i believe Wisco uses lyres(?)) because of the time crunch with several games in a row. And yeah, they go to class too.
#3 - Most of the band faces the majority of our fans and a small section outside the large band section faces to the opposite side.
#4 - You have got to be kidding me.

Then use lyres and spend more time on being entertaining than memorizing. Also, this is outdoor football and not a concert. A bunch of my friends were in the band a couple years back and would brag about how much better their tone was than the badger band's. The thing is, no one cares about that when you can barely hear it. Blat and worry more about entertainment than memorizing would go a long way without messing with any traditions IMHO.

Disagree. tOSU Marching Band is highly regarded as one of the best bands in the country (hence its stupid nickname) from a technical marching and musical perspective. They have a high audition-to-acceptance ratio (link) of ~400 with 225 making the cut, 33 of those being alternates. That's as high as a band gets for tryout ratio at 1.77 to 1. Also notice what little time there is from audition (late August or Labor Day weekend) to the first game for this band.

Wisconsin has tryouts and has, again, 225 block spots for all field marching (pregame AND halftime), but 320 members. The tryout at the beginning of the year is for the block spots. The rest up the ~320 spots of uniformed band members. There are THEN alternated who wear red sweaters, black pants, and stand at attention at the back of the endzone during pregame. These are about 20-40 in number. So the ratio is clearly much lower.

I can't find numbers on other marching bands (USC comes to mind as does Michigan) that have a national reputation.

I think musically and marching our pregame is better than anything I've seen from WI (2 games at Camp Randall and their band here in 2003), but our halftime does bore people unless they're doing an interesting picture show. There's no reason they couldn't do high step for both pregame AND halftime. I marched for 4 years and can tell you I was tired at the end of the day but absolutely would have done it if asked.

I also do wish the instrumentation/recruiting focused on getting more brass. Having flags doesn't bother me but having only 30-32 total trombones (28 in pregame block), in the teens for tubas, and 60-something trumpets doesn't give the full sound we hear from other bands. Unfortunately we can't put a gun to the brass players of the state. I think a stronger football team would definitely excite HS band players to try out for the MN band...

Ultimately, though, a band will be recognized if the team is doing well. They go to bigger bowl games and get TV time, are heard more, their fight song is more "iconic" (think Michigan, USC, Notre Dame), even un-unique things you do are seen as cool (drum major back bend for example). Kids in HS want to be that person that plays the fight song when the team beats X rival. It snowballs.

At the first Block G performance, Prof. Diem asked all the rookies to raise their hand. I'm guessing it was well over a third of the band.

Definitely. Of the ~300 people in the band, the rookie class usually totals 100 or so, sometimes more. Seniors and 5th year members maybe total 50-60 each year, possibly less. Lots of attrition.

Seniors and 5th year members maybe total 50-60 each year, possibly less. Lots of attrition.
Combined. That may have been your intent, just wanted to clarify. Membership drops significantly after Yr 2.

For Gopher Hole "marching band improvement" readers and others interested, the "Pride of Minnesota" has 325 members this fall. Our son is in his 4th year marching and is one of 41 trombone players (he is also in the pep bands). Our family has been football season ticket holders now for approx. 15 years.

They practice Monday-Friday from 4:15-6:00 p.m. at the stadium and yes, everything that they play is from memorization.

The marching band staff leadership and volunteers are tremendous. As an example, this past Saturday for the 2:30 p.m. game; band members started their day at the stadium between 7:00-7:45 a.m. and were on the field practicing at 8:00 a.m. Their marching band day did not end until 6:30p.m.

As far as playing the Minnesota Rouser more; everything is pre-arranged/planned for when they play it during the actual game (after Minnesota scores points). As everyone probably already knows, with all of the stadium advertising happening on the scoreboard/pa system, the band is placed in a time box when they can and cannot play. That isn't the bands fault. The more points that the Gophers score at home games, the more you will hear the Minnesota Rouser played.

I realize that I am biased. There is really no comparison between the University of Minnesota Marching Band and other college marching bands. They are the best. You will be able to make that comparison on November 12. I learned this past Saturday that the Wisconsin band will be at TCF Stadium on this day. You will all be able to make your own judgements who has the best band. The Ohio State band is so over-rated and fans saw that last fall at the Bank. Basically, both the Wisconsin and Ohio State bands have received much, much more publicity because both schools have had successful football programs (TV time and bowl game appearances).

If you want changes made to half-time shows, I would suggest that you contact Dr. Diem directly. If you want to hear great sound/music outside of the stadium; get out to the pre-game plaza show 1.25 hours before game time between the Bank and Mariucci Arena.

Nothing will ever change the pre-game Battle Hymn of the Republic and the Swinging Gate formation along with the Block M. It is a great tradition and the band does it to perfection every game.

Our marching band is the one thing that we can count on each and every home game. As much as I want the Gopher football team to be successful (wins); I know from experience that isn't always the case. However, I do know that from experience that our marching band will perform and be successful.

It may surprise many of you, but our marching band is considered a top college band in the United States and is probably the best marching band in the Big Ten.

For Gopher Hole "marching band improvement" readers and others interested, the "Pride of Minnesota" has 325 members this fall. Our son is in his 4th year marching and is one of 41 trombone players (he is also in the pep bands). Our family has been football season ticket holders now for approx. 15 years.

They practice Monday-Friday from 4:15-6:00 p.m. at the stadium and yes, everything that they play is from memorization.

The marching band staff leadership and volunteers are tremendous. As an example, this past Saturday for the 2:30 p.m. game; band members started their day at the stadium between 7:00-7:45 a.m. and were on the field practicing at 8:00 a.m. Their marching band day did not end until 6:30p.m.

As far as playing the Minnesota Rouser more; everything is pre-arranged/planned for when they play it during the actual game (after Minnesota scores points). As everyone probably already knows, with all of the stadium advertising happening on the scoreboard/pa system, the band is placed in a time box when they can and cannot play. That isn't the bands fault. The more points that the Gophers score at home games, the more you will hear the Minnesota Rouser played.

I realize that I am biased. There is really no comparison between the University of Minnesota Marching Band and other college marching bands. They are the best. You will be able to make that comparison on November 12. I learned this past Saturday that the Wisconsin band will be at TCF Stadium on this day. You will all be able to make your own judgements who has the best band. The Ohio State band is so over-rated and fans saw that last fall at the Bank. Basically, both the Wisconsin and Ohio State bands have received much, much more publicity because both schools have had successful football programs (TV time and bowl game appearances).

If you want changes made to half-time shows, I would suggest that you contact Dr. Diem directly. If you want to hear great sound/music outside of the stadium; get out to the pre-game plaza show 1.25 hours before game time between the Bank and Mariucci Arena.

Nothing will ever change the pre-game Battle Hymn of the Republic and the Swinging Gate formation along with the Block M. It is a great tradition and the band does it to perfection every game.

Our marching band is the one thing that we can count on each and every home game. As much as I want the Gopher football team to be successful (wins); I know from experience that isn't always the case. However, I do know that from experience that our marching band will perform and be successful.

It may surprise many of you, but our marching band is considered a top college band in the United States and is probably the best marching band in the Big Ten.

Great....just great. Fricking idiots in the athletics department.

No kidding. Can't wait to hear them play over our own band again. Might as well let them perform at halftime too!

I'm going to go "meh" here my friend. This used to annoy the crap out of me, but that was before I found out that the reason our band never traveled to WI was because we chose not to. Rivalry games across the country are filled with examples of the opposing teams band traveling to the game. As far as I can tell it's pretty normal. The only thing I disliked (and would continue to question) is that they allowed the WI band to play a 5th quarter performance in the Dome.

I'm going to go "meh" here my friend. This used to annoy the crap out of me, but that was before I found out that the reason our band never traveled to WI was because we chose not to. Rivalry games across the country are filled with examples of the opposing teams band traveling to the game. As far as I can tell it's pretty normal. The only thing I disliked (and would continue to question) is that they allowed the WI band to play a 5th quarter performance in the Dome.

Except noone in the gameday operations department seems to have any balls when it comes to controlling opposing band sin our stadium. See the USC Band playing non-stop over the Gopher Band last season. The last thing I really want to hear when its time to get pumped up and the rouser is getting overplayed by the fricking Budweiser song....

At least I can bust out my "special" lyrics to Varsity.......

Except noone in the gameday operations department seems to have any balls when it comes to controlling opposing band sin our stadium. See the USC Band playing non-stop over the Gopher Band last season. The last thing I really want to hear when its time to get pumped up and the rouser is getting overplayed by the fricking Budweiser song....

At least I can bust out my "special" lyrics to Varsity.......

Fair enough. But that's a different issue entirely. BTW, I'm pretty sure you'd break those lyrics out anyway. In fact, I was counting on it.

This latest bit of info reminds me of another gripe (all my band related gripes are not the band's fault)...

It has been said over and over that the reason we don't send our band anywhere is because we can't afford it. If that's the case, I sure wish we could afford it once per year, and I'm sad that many others CAN afford it.

One reason we don't go to Madison is they charge opposing bands seat tickets. That was the case a few years ago at least, and I heard it second hand so can anyone corroborate? Also, I believe WI rescinded our invitation to Madison once in the mid-'00's.
I love when opposing bands visit. But limit them to a brief pre-game & halftime and after scores. No in-game music and NO 5th quarter.

No in-game music and NO 5th quarter.
Then just don't have them because playing during the game is a big part of having another band in your house. Oklahoma's band was audible during the FSU/OK game and it added to the atmosphere.

That said, the visiting band needs to understand how not to be a**hats. That's on their leadership.

Take a look at the diagonals in pregame and be honest. Unless it's gotten a ton better recently, this is ridiculous. I was in the UMMB for four years recently, and even my biased opinion of us has our band at about average for a big ten band. MSU, Illinois, Ohio State, Purdue, Penn St are all definitely better in terms of playing with good sound and marching precisely. Wisconsin is good at what they do, but I hate what they do, so I'll put us on par with them. We're definitely better than Iowa and Michigan (having a well known fight song and good football team doesn't make a band good), and NU is OK but small. Don't know much about Indiana and Nebraska. The bad thing about marching bands is that a few bad individuals makes the rest of the 300 people look bad. That's also a good thing, because if we are to the point where we can audition now, it's easy to improve that.

This latest bit of info reminds me of another gripe (all my band related gripes are not the band's fault)...

It has been said over and over that the reason we don't send our band anywhere is because we can't afford it. If that's the case, I sure wish we could afford it once per year, and I'm sad that many others CAN afford it.
This is one area where I believe the fans can really demand some change. The more bands that visit TCF, the more fans will demand our band travels, especially to WI & IA. With a multi-million dollar athletic budget, they could find the money.

Top Bottom