Mandel’s: Dare I say the Big Ten has a better shot for 2 teams in the Playoff than the SEC?

There's at least one game on CBS each Saturday.
Not when the contract runs out. Which I don’t know the year. I was replying to someone who said it had already elapsed

Yeah but if 1 loss Bama wins the SEC it’s over for everyone else
If Bama wins the West and then loses to Georgia, two loss Bama isn't getting in over a 1 loss B1G team.

If Bama wins the West and beats and unbeaten Georgia. Then I'm guessing those two get in over, say, a 1 loss Iowa that lost the B1G title game to a one loss OSU/PSU/Mich, etc.

Still a ton of football to be played before this becomes a real scenario to sweat.

If Bama wins the West and then loses to Georgia, two loss Bama isn't getting in over a 1 loss B1G team.

If Bama wins the West and beats and unbeaten Georgia. Then I'm guessing those two get in over, say, a 1 loss Iowa that lost the B1G title game to a one loss OSU/PSU/Mich, etc.

Still a ton of football to be played before this becomes a real scenario to sweat.
If Bama wins the SEC with 1 loss the playoff will be:
Bama
Big ten champ

Two of these in this order if they occur:
0 loss big 12 champ
0 loss cinci
1 loss big 12 champ
1 loss pac 12 champ
12-1 Michigan or Michigan state non big ten champ
1 loss Georgia
1 loss Iowa non big ten champ
1 loss Notre dame

If Bama doesn’t win the SEC they aren’t getting in. Period. A 2 loss non conference champ isn’t going to the playoff.

Last edited:

If Bama wins the SEC with 1 loss the playoff will be:
Bama
Big ten champ

Two of these in this order if they occur:
0 loss big 12 champ
0 loss cinci
1 loss big 12 champ
1 loss pac 12 champ
12-1 Michigan or Michigan state non big ten champ
1 loss Georgia
1 loss Iowa non big ten champ
1 loss Notre dame

If Bama doesn’t win the SEC they aren’t getting in. Period. A 2 loss non conference champ isn’t going to the playoff.

Great list. I'd put 1 loss Georgia (losing in SEC champ) above 1 loss Michigan (MI State has no chance to end at 12-1).

Great list. I'd put 1 loss Georgia (losing in SEC champ) above 1 loss Michigan (MI State has no chance to end at 12-1).
I don’t think either have a shot at 12-1 but if Michigan or Michigan state are 12-0 with wins over Penn state, Ohio state and the other Michigan…that resume will pass Georgia’s

Ya, you're probably right. I just dislike where Iowa is sitting right now that I can't think rationally. They are set up again like they were in '15 (no tOSU or Michigan and a bevy of other weak opponents). Lucky bastards.

Also, I am not a great bettor (pretty obvious by where I stand in the U Pick 'Em), but I just got a feeling that either Purdue, Wisc., or NW will beat them before we play them. So if all falls into place, a loss to us will essentially knock them out.
everything-proceeding.gif

Bama over Georgia in conf champ assuming both win out will both get in over a 0 loss Cincy. It already isn't close in Vegas/Sagarin rankings that Georgia and Bama are top 2 and Cincy is 5th or 6th. Cincy schedule only gets weaker and Notre Dame can pick up another loss or two and hurt their only quality win

This thread can be buried now
I don’t necessarily think so.
If Michigan and Michigan state both win out the big ten is better positioned than the SEC.
If you think Alabama loses another game (I think they lose to auburn and/or Georgia in sec title game)…then the SEC isn’t going to get 2

If Michigan state and Michigan both win out, big ten gets at least one maybe two. Purdue beating Michigan state really punt a dent in it though. But I don’t think it happens because I personally don’t think Michigan state is that good. Michigan state is closer in quality to Minnesota and Iowa than to Ohio state. They’re going to lose some games. Michigan will lose at least one more

Week 11 — Saturday, Nov. 13​

• Minnesota at Iowa
  • Northwestern at Wisconsin
  • Purdue at Ohio State
  • Rutgers at Indiana
  • Maryland at Michigan State
  • Michigan at Penn State

Week 12 — Saturday, Nov. 20

• Illinois at Iowa
  • Minnesota at Indiana
  • Nebraska at Wisconsin
  • Purdue at Northwestern
  • Michigan at Maryland
  • Michigan State at Ohio State
  • Rutgers at Penn State

Week 13

Friday, Nov. 26
  • Iowa at Nebraska | 1:30 p.m. | Big Ten Network
Saturday, Nov. 27
  • Ohio State at Michigan | 12 p.m. | FOX
  • Northwestern at Illinois
  • Wisconsin at Minnesota
  • Indiana at Purdue
  • Maryland at Rutgers
  • Penn State at Michigan State

Mandel's takes are usually junk.

He's a sellout who in spite of being a Northwestern alum is 100% in the tank for the SEC, well past most national media voices. Any national consensus, he amplifies it vs. debating it.

That's why he acts like the Big Ten maybe having more playoff teams than SEC is a huge surprise, because by default he evaluates similar SEC teams higher by name than their Big Ten counterparts.

There's almost zero chance. A two loss Big Ten team isn't making it.....so the only way this could happen is if OSU loses to both Michigan State AND Michigan. That seems less likely than Alabama upsetting Georgia in the SEC Championship.

There's almost zero chance. A two loss Big Ten team isn't making it.....so the only way this could happen is if OSU loses to both Michigan State AND Michigan. That seems less likely than Alabama upsetting Georgia in the SEC Championship.
I agree with this. But until it happens it isn’t over as a possibility.
Michigan state beating Michigan than losing to Purdue really tanked it from probably a 24-50% shot at 2 to almost zero

Top Bottom