MacDonald's potential

gophers141

Reaction score
I'm sure this question has come a bunch already but how much of an impact can we expect from Andre at WR?

A "good" year as a true frosh would probably be 15-20 catches, 200-300 yards, 1 or 2 TDs. If he was all-world he'd probably end up north of those numbers. I would not expect all-Big Ten impact from him until a few years in, but would love it if it came earlier (that's what she said?).

I'm sure this question has come a bunch already but how much of an impact can we expect from Andre at WR?

It's hard to say what I would expect from him next season because he will be a FR and I imagine we will be a running dominated team.

However, I think his potential is through the roof. Even when he was going to go to Vandy, I made a lot of comparisons between him and Michael Floyd. In HS, Floyd wasn't quite as fast or as explosive. However, Floyd was stronger, more of a leaper, and really savvy with the ball in the air.

They do remind me of eachother though. They are both physically dominant. They are large (size of NFL WRs in HS) and fast enough to get behind the secondary. They both also have that Randy Moss type knack for coming down with jump balls. That's largely because they are the better athlete but it's also because they both have very good hands and good timing.

I think the potential is similar to Michael Floyd. I'm not saying he IS going to be as good as Michael Floyd, that is partially up to Andre. Floyd is a really hard worker and kept improving. Floyd also kept physically maturing.

I bet by the end of the season if he stays healthy McDonald is one of our top WR's. Immediate impact considering we lost our best WR (McKnight) and nobody really stepped up last year to be the #2 guy. He has so much talent.

Marcus Jones says 'whut?'

I think Marcus Jones has displayed that he gets to stay on the field.

I think McDonald and DCT will really help stretch the field for us next year. If AM makes a couple of big catches early on in the season and gets a couple of scores, teams will have to think twice about double teaming either one if they are both out there.

You will see Green, Jones, and our TE's benefit from that. Then you have Moulton, Harris, Engle (who I think can be a great possession guy) filling in around that. And Harbison? Trucilla, Keise, Wilson...man, how did we end up with this corps? And we were going to suck without McKnight...

Not sure Marcus Jones' playing time will be affected much by McDonald. Completely different type of receiver. I think about how everyone said DCT was very raw and wouldnt contibute last year and how he actually came in as a true freshman and played pretty well.

For future spelling reference:

220px-Harlem_Micky_Dz.jpg

He was the best Weekend Update host ever, easily. I though his potential as a SNL Hall-of-Famer was through the roof.

norm_macdonald_300x300.jpg

That's who we're talking about, right?

Imagine lining up McDonald and DCT opposite of each other, assuming they both can become deep threats. Then, with Harbison and/or Jones in the slot combined with Gray's ability to make plays with his legs. It would give DCs nightmares.

I'm being very patient with our WR's. We are never going to be Air Coryell, but felt we needed this stong class to really get us up to speed. I'm assuming both Harbison and McDonald play as true freshman, with the beneficiary being the winner of the Shortell/Nelson battle next year. Give Kill and staff credit, things look so much better next season and particurlarly for the future. As many have said, no way you can fill all the holes with one recruiting class. WR is no longer a concern of mine.

so are we going with the Scottish style spelling (i.e. Mac vs. Mc) of andre mcdonald now? ;-)

so are we going with the Scottish style spelling (i.e. Mac vs. Mc) of andre mcdonald now? ;-)

No...but I think we should keep capitalizing his name. Unless you want him to go all e.e. cummings on us.

He was the best Weekend Update host ever, easily. I though his potential as a SNL Hall-of-Famer was through the roof.

norm_macdonald_300x300.jpg

That's who we're talking about, right?
I'm one of the dozens of people who just loved Sports Show with Norm MacDonald. "I love Dirk Nowitski, but I'm pretty sure my grandpa and Dirk Nowitski's grandpa hated each other."

I might be in the minority here, but I would like to see both him and Harbison redshirted. It would nice to have McDonald, Harbison, and Nelson all as seniors. We have Ge'Shun, Green, Moulton, Crawford-Tufts, and Keise all expecting to make an impact next year. Jones and his knee is a question mark. I think Derrick Engel might end up playing right away. Logan Hutton and Cameron Wilson are scholarship receivers that could see action as well.

Once again everyone here is forgetting FRUECTHE

RoyalGopher said:
I might be in the minority here, but I would like to see both him and Harbison redshirted. It would nice to have McDonald, Harbison, and Nelson all as seniors. We have Ge'Shun, Green, Moulton, Crawford-Tufts, and Keise all expecting to make an impact next year. Jones and his knee is a question mark. I think Derrick Engel might end up playing right away. Logan Hutton and Cameron Wilson are scholarship receivers that could see action as well.
I'm sorry but - are you insane? This program needs to win NOW! For the sanity of Gopher fans, season ticket holders and future recruiting. Who says all three will make it to their Sr. year anyway?

Big question mark will be how Jones comes back from his injury. Some speed guys are never the same after a knee injury like his. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and can pick up where he left off but it is in no way a sure thing.

Kill knows he has got to show improvement NOW! If they are ready he will play them. I don't take his 7 year contract seriously. The natives were already screaming for his head after 3 or 4 games. My favorites are those who don't want the same type of kids Brewster bought in, or the same type of results, but they damn well want the same number of stars.

Look at USC, the best players play! That's why Prather transferred to NW, a true freshmen took his spot. Kill needs to win now for the program, fan base and all concerned. Some year soon Kill can start to red shirt whole classes, not in 2012. This program needs to build depth.

Kill knows he has got to show improvement NOW! If they are ready he will play them. I don't take his 7 year contract seriously. The natives were already screaming for his head after 3 or 4 games. My favorites are those who don't want the same type of kids Brewster bought in, or the same type of results, but they damn well want the same number of stars.

Exactly. Kill can say all he wants to about building for the future and it taking time to get there but he knows he needs to show progress and results on the field in order to get those years. If a kid is good enough to play right away there is no way they will hold him back. The players that give the team the best shot to win will be on the field regardless of what year they are.

Exactly. Kill can say all he wants to about building for the future and it taking time to get there but he knows he needs to show progress and results on the field in order to get those years. If a kid is good enough to play right away there is no way they will hold him back. The players that give the team the best shot to win will be on the field regardless of what year they are.

Kill has said several times that the best player will play, period.

I can still see one of the two redshirting (probably Harbison?) unless they both really stand out. We actually have some depth this year so it wouldn't make sense to me to have a frosh be the 5th or 6th receiver.

There is no way McDonald redshirts. Kill brought the QB, RB, and WR coaches with him to make his last visit to McDonald's home. I think it was "here is our offensive philosphy, and here is how you will fit into it this next season". Not "we were 3-9 last year and we'd like to redshirt you".

There is no way McDonald redshirts. Kill brought the QB, RB, and WR coaches with him to make his last visit to McDonald's home. I think it was "here is our offensive philosphy, and here is how you will fit into it this next season". Not "we were 3-9 last year and we'd like to redshirt you".

Competition at the WR spot is wide open with really no guaranteed locks at any of the spots right now. I am sure they told McDonald that if he is good enough he will play. I don't think there is no chance he redshirts but I agree that it is very likely he will be in the mix next year. Hopefully he is as good as advertised because we can definitely use a playmaker at the WR position but it might be asking a lot to expect a major contribution out of a true freshman.

MNVCGUY said:
Competition at the WR spot is wide open with really no guaranteed locks at any of the spots right now. I am sure they told McDonald that if he is good enough he will play. I don't think there is no chance he redshirts but I agree that it is very likely he will be in the mix next year. Hopefully he is as good as advertised because we can definitely use a playmaker at the WR position but it might be asking a lot to expect a major contribution out of a true freshman.

If they really get stacked up an older guy can redshirt. Zack Brown did it at UW when he fell to #4 on the depth chart. I don't think anyone at UW regrets James White skipping his redshirt.

Hard to believe we're worrying about excessive depth at WR. What a difference a year makes.

If they really get stacked up an older guy can redshirt. Zack Brown did it at UW when he fell to #4 on the depth chart. I don't think anyone at UW regrets James White skipping his redshirt.

Hard to believe we're worrying about excessive depth at WR. What a difference a year makes.

+1

I think we are worrying about it, I doubt the staff considers the WR position one of depth yet.

Unless a freshmen is starting by the 3rd or 4th game, I hope they all redshirt. We already have at least 4 WR's that can get 15-20 catches, 200 yards, and 1-2 TDs on the year (Green, Moulton, DCT, Jones). We certainly don't need McDonald in the lineup if that is all we can expect. I'd much rather see him as a 5th year senior when he's catching 60+ passes, 1000 rec yards, and 10 TDs.

It's a simple equation for freshmen, make the two deep, you play, don't, you redshirt.

Top Bottom