Louisville QB Luke McCaffrey leaves program less than four months after transferring in from Nebraska

Impatience is written all over some of the young players today. They want things handed to them without putting in the work to earn their keep.

Sooner or later, the Pros will notice which programs breed maturity.

And here is the link: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-luke-mccaffrey-pivots-leaves-louisville-rice

Louisville coach Scott Satterfield last week told ESPN Louisville that McCaffrey wants to be a starting quarterback and "after three or four days decided that maybe wasn't going to happen here."

Guess the combination of instant starter + well known academic school is what he decided to go for.
I don't understand why articles like this fail to address the uncertainty over immediate eligibility. He's transferred twice in a short period of time. Under either the old rules or the new changes, he's not eligible at Rice without sitting out or obtaining a waiver. We don't know how the transfer rules will be applied or how liberally waivers will be granted, but until there is some direction on that you would think the article would at least mention that he might have to sit out or wait out a ruling on a waiver.

I don't understand why articles like this fail to address the uncertainty over immediate eligibility. He's transferred twice in a short period of time. Under either the old rules or the new changes, he's not eligible at Rice without sitting out or obtaining a waiver. We don't know how the transfer rules will be applied or how liberally waivers will be granted, but until there is some direction on that you would think the article would at least mention that he might have to sit out or wait out a ruling on a waiver.
Maybe they don't want to deal with speculation, and prefer to just stick to what's known?

Maybe they don't want to deal with speculation, and prefer to just stick to what's known?
What's known is that he isn't eligible under the current rules as written. Stating that he'll be competing for the starting job without mentioning that fact is speculating. Maybe the schools have been told that no one is intending to enforce the rules this year, but I don't think that has been reported anywhere.

Heading to Rice University. Tommy Kramer II?

And here is the link: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-luke-mccaffrey-pivots-leaves-louisville-rice

Louisville coach Scott Satterfield last week told ESPN Louisville that McCaffrey wants to be a starting quarterback and "after three or four days decided that maybe wasn't going to happen here."

Guess the combination of instant starter + well known academic school is what he decided to go for.
Very clear at this point that he doesn't want to compete for the starting job, he just wants someone to hand it to him. Comes across as an entitled ahole in all this.

Impatience is written all over some of the young players today. They want things handed to them without putting in the work to earn their keep.

Sooner or later, the Pros will notice which programs breed maturity.
I don’t think it’s that different than 30 years ago. We just hear about it now.
Kids left and switch schools back in the day too. Just nobody talked about it.

As NDSU has shown, a QB can play FCS and still make it to the NFL if he has the talent.

based on what little I've seen of McCaffrey, I do not think he is on the same level as Trey Lance. McC might be better off as a more run-oriented school - maybe a triple-option team that only throws the ball a dozen times a game or something like that.
I completely agree. I honestly think he could have been a stud at Georgia Tech when they had Paul Johnson as HC.

Atleast he will end up with a degree from a elite academic institution.
I don’t think it’s that different than 30 years ago. We just hear about it now.
Kids left and switch schools back in the day too. Just nobody talked about it.

He could go play for Prime Time and be the back up QB to his son, or go play for his dad in Colorado and be back up QB to his brother.

What's known is that he isn't eligible under the current rules as written. Stating that he'll be competing for the starting job without mentioning that fact is speculating. Maybe the schools have been told that no one is intending to enforce the rules this year, but I don't think that has been reported anywhere.
How many times has the NCAA had to deal with a football player who transfers from school A to school B in the offseason, and then before the offseason is even over transfers again to school C?

I could see it, guy goes to B for spring training, shows up and just doesn't cut it, then wants to go elsewhere with a better chance at starting. But thinking it is fairly rare.

If he would have been eligible at B under the rules or waiver, I don't think it's going to be a big deal to get a waiver to be eligible at C.

It's likely not a guy who's a super-star in the making transferring into Alabama. In this case, he's going to Rice for cripes sake. He's not going to matter in football.

So that's my wild guess: he'll get a waiver and be eligible to play for Rice in 2021. Who knows, maybe he'll have a year like Phil Nelson did at Eastern Carolina?

How many times has the NCAA had to deal with a football player who transfers from school A to school B in the offseason, and then before the offseason is even over transfers again to school C?

I could see it, guy goes to B for spring training, shows up and just doesn't cut it, then wants to go elsewhere with a better chance at starting. But thinking it is fairly rare.

If he would have been eligible at B under the rules or waiver, I don't think it's going to be a big deal to get a waiver to be eligible at C.

It's likely not a guy who's a super-star in the making transferring into Alabama. In this case, he's going to Rice for cripes sake. He's not going to matter in football.

So that's my wild guess: he'll get a waiver and be eligible to play for Rice in 2021. Who knows, maybe he'll have a year like Phil Nelson did at Eastern Carolina?
There is a LB from EP on the Rice team.

Watch out, that whole McCaffrey clan will sic on you like that!

Top Bottom