Louisville QB Luke McCaffrey leaves program less than four months after transferring in from Nebraska

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Former Nebraska quarterback Luke McCaffrey is now also former Louisville quarterback Luke McCaffrey. Speaking on ESPN Radio 93.9 The Ville on Wednesday morning, Cardinals coach Scott Satterfield revealed that McCaffrey has left the Cardinals program less than four months after transferring in from the Cornhuskers.

McCaffrey began his career at Nebraska and appeared in seven games, starting two, as a redshirt freshman in 2020. He largely split time with Adrian Martinez and threw for 466 yards and one touchdown, rushed for 364 yards and added three more scores on the ground. His first career start came on Nov. 14 against Penn State in a 30-23 win. The following week, he threw three picks in a 41-23 loss to Illinois.

He then became one of multiple Nebraska players to enter the transfer portal in January, announcing a month later that he would be moving on to Louisville. He was expected to compete with incumbent starter Malik Cunningham this offseason for the starting job ahead of the team's Week 1 game against Ole Miss. According to Satterfield, McCaffrey informed him of his decision to transfer after it became clear he would not be the starter.

Go Gophers!!

If you want to start as a freshman QB you better be very, very good from the get go.
He wasn't.
Then being used mostly as a RB with Martinez as QB was the final straw for him at NE.
The kid does have a very fast first and second step.

If you want to start as a freshman QB you better be very, very good from the get go.
He wasn't.
Then being used mostly as a RB with Martinez as QB was the final straw for him at NE.
The kid does have a very fast first and second step.
Nebraska will wear down players like they did with JD Spielman who should have gone to the Gophers.

Hopefully, Frost will put a heavy stock in real player development.

I get it. Get away from Frost. I am beginning to not feel bad for Luke McCaffrey. If he thinks he can start right away and skip player development in another D1 team, reality bites hard.

If he wants to play right away, go to a MAC, MVC, or other conferences. It's okay to be like Zak Annexstad or other QBs in waiting, or go to MAC.

Pedigree doesn't guarantee you anything. You have to earn the right to be a starter.

Last edited:

He is sounding more and more like a less talented Phil Nelson
Not sure if Nelson is the right comp but clearly he thinks he is a starting QB and the teams he is playing for don't agree. Probably feels entitled to something based on his last name and doesn't want to be told he has to compete for the job.

If you wanted to be the starter, wouldn't you have that conversation with the coaching staffs at the schools you were looking to transfer to?

Hard for me to understand how he goes through the whole ordeal of transferring from one P5 to another, doing all the interviews, all the hype and PR that goes with that ...... then gets there and says "hey wait ... I'm supposed to be the starter this year" and the coaching staff is like "oh ..... oh, yeah? ..."

If you wanted to be the starter, wouldn't you have that conversation with the coaching staffs at the schools you were looking to transfer to?

Hard for me to understand how he goes through the whole ordeal of transferring from one P5 to another, doing all the interviews, all the hype and PR that goes with that ...... then gets there and says "hey wait ... I'm supposed to be the starter this year" and the coaching staff is like "oh ..... oh, yeah? ..."
Total guess on my part but the coaches at Louisville probably told him he would have a shot to be the starter. But someone else was probably better, just as was the case at Nebraska. So he will go off in search of some other school that is willing to hand him the job without any competition. Probably will need to drop down to the FCS level to find that opportunity.

Just based on all this I have to believe he is a massive head case who just can't understand why anyone would ask him to work for something.

Nebraska will wear down players like they did with JD Spielman who should have gone to the Gophers.

Hopefully, Frost will put a heavy stock in real player development.

I get it. Get away from Frost. I am beginning to not feel bad for Luke McCaffrey. If he thinks he can start right away and skip player development in another D1 team, reality bites hard.

If he wants to play right away, go to a MAC, MVC, or other conferences. It's okay to be like Zak Annexstad or other QBs in waiting, or go to MAC.

Pedigree doesn't guarantee you anything. You have to earn the right to be a starter.
The exit portal at NE was very crowded with a good portion of a recruiting class gone.
All of them were not "worn down".
They either could not stand Frost or Lincoln any more, or both, and fled.
I do not want Frost or NE to succeed so I am fine with what is happening there.

Total guess on my part but the coaches at Louisville probably told him he would have a shot to be the starter. But someone else was probably better, just as was the case at Nebraska. So he will go off in search of some other school that is willing to hand him the job without any competition. Probably will need to drop down to the FCS level to find that opportunity.

Just based on all this I have to believe he is a massive head case who just can't understand why anyone would ask him to work for something.
His dad is the had coach at Northern Colorado in FCS. Wonder if he would consider going that "low". Much closer to home. You certainly can still make it in the NFL at that level. Heard about this guy recently named Lance from one of them Dakota schools ....

Not sure if Nelson is the right comp but clearly he thinks he is a starting QB and the teams he is playing for don't agree. Probably feels entitled to something based on his last name and doesn't want to be told he has to compete for the job.
I agree. I said less talented version because this guy looks like he is throwing watermelons when he plays

Agreed. He has looked awful whenever I have watched him play. He is a good athlete, but he looks like a mediocre high school quarterback whenever he throws. Nelson actually had a decent arm, but wasn’t that athletic. I really don’t understand why he transferred to Louisville as they have a decent established starter. I was thinking maybe he was going to sit for a year and work on mechanics or change positions, but guess not.

If he lands fairly quickly - one may assume he is getting $$$ to go to the new school. Antennae up for this type of chicanery.

Paying off a wealthy, twice-failed backup QB to come to your school is like offering 20% over sticker at a hail sale.
Yeah, I can't see anyone doing anything illegal to get this kid to their school. If he had a different last name nobody would give a crap about him at all. Maybe he figures it out at some point and turns into a decent player but at this point I don't think he is worth the risk for any power 5 school unless he is willing to play some other position. And it seems very likely that is the one thing he just won't do because he is determined to play QB.

The McCaffrey boys are having a hard time. The oldest got beat out by a 6'1" kid from Nevada. They must not be that good, to have all their connections resulting from their dad's career. So many of these guys get in the door with their connections but fall from grace. Look at Rubly for K-State 4 star QB, he was booed off the field last season in Iowa. Pretty simple, most fail because they do not have the most important trait, accuracy in game situations. How do you think guys like Mayfield are playing at 6 feet tall. Everybody recruits the pretty girl. In reality most of these recruiters are physical education majors.

Paying off a wealthy, twice-failed backup QB to come to your school is like offering 20% over sticker at a hail sale.
I think as far as paying players under the table goes ... a lot is just some rando booster and nobody really 'knows' ... so maybe some rando guy gets a $100 handshake.

But otherwise ... yeah nobody is going out of their way on this one to get him McDonald's.

As NDSU has shown, a QB can play FCS and still make it to the NFL if he has the talent.

based on what little I've seen of McCaffrey, I do not think he is on the same level as Trey Lance. McC might be better off as a more run-oriented school - maybe a triple-option team that only throws the ball a dozen times a game or something like that.

His dad is the had coach at Northern Colorado in FCS. Wonder if he would consider going that "low". Much closer to home. You certainly can still make it in the NFL at that level. Heard about this guy recently named Lance from one of them Dakota schools ....
His brother Dylan, a former Wolverine quarterback, already transferred to Northern Colorado. Maybe Luke will finally get around to switching positions?

Maybe the McCaffreys will take Northern Colorado to Lithuania and start a Facebook Live show
Funny how for a while you couldn't blink without seeing Lavar Ball somewhere. Now you never really hear from him much at all. What a circus that was.

Top Bottom