Lobstergate III essay contest - Your chance to tailgate with Tipsy, Leeks, and Lloyd

Sir Tipsy McStagger

Legend & Gopherhole Watchdog
Reaction score
We are less than one month away from LIII - Lobstegate, a party of epic proportion. This year, Lobstergate will be taking place prior to and following the Ohio State Game and will feature dozens of fresh lobster flown in the morning of the game by Kelly Leeks himself. We start by staging lobster fights prior to dining on so much lobster everyone gets sick.

This year, one luck outsider will be invited past the velvet rope that surrounds our tailgate and will be able to feast on lobster with the heroes of the Gopherhole.

The rules of the contest are very simple. Submit a 500 word essay on how the Gopherhole has changed your life. The essays will be judged by Lloyd, Tipsy, and Leeks and the winner will be notified during the Penn State game. An announcement will be made at stadium. The winner will also receive a ticket to the game, if they do not have season tickets.

Good luck!

Moderators, please thumbtack so I don't need to post this every time it slips of th first page, which I will do.

yawn.jpg

Actually that's second prize. First prize is half a taco I found in the trunk of my car.

"Kiss my ass, Gophers." Just copy and paste that 125 times.

Actually, I'm just posting this to keep it bumped to the top. I'm very service oriented that way. (winky-smiley face)

I had an Atari 2600 when I was a young lad. That thing was sweet: Combat, Sky Diver, Night Driver, Yars' Revenge...they were all a blast. I bust out the old Atari occasionally and still really enjoy it.

Some members of my family came over to the homestead a few months ago. I have a 7-year old cousin who is really into video games. He'd never even heard of an Atari, let alone played one, so I thought it would be cool to show him where I cut my video game teeth. Well, he didn't care for it at all. Said it was lame and that I should stop living in the past.

Sometimes things that were kewl in the past are better left in the past. They just don't translate very well to the next generation.

Anyone who can't appreciate the Atari 2600 isn't "really" into video games. It would be like an aircraft engineer sneering at a biplane.

Anyone who can't appreciate the Atari 2600 isn't "really" into video games. It would be like an aircraft engineer sneering at a biplane.

There is a fairly large gap between a 7 year old and an aircraft engineer. I don't blame a 7 year old for lacking 'proper perspective'.

I'd never use a seven year old as an example of what gamers today think. That's like talking to a seven year old about football history. Just because the seven year old isn't interested doesn't mean that the 17 year old or the 27 year old won't be.

Darnit, I would love to participate in that, and I live in the great state of Maine, so I could bring the dang lobsters myself!

But it's that whole living in the great state of Maine thing that's the downfall, as that makes for a long, long trip back to Minnesota just to see a game. Not really all that doable at this time. Ahhh well....

Darnit, I would love to participate in that, and I live in the great state of Maine, so I could bring the dang lobsters myself!

But it's that whole living in the great state of Maine thing that's the downfall, as that makes for a long, long trip back to Minnesota just to see a game. Not really all that doable at this time. Ahhh well....

Another East Coaster. I love my weekend trips to the lot and stadium in the fall. Delta flies direct so it's perfect. This experience has taught me that lobsters can be checked with baggage and they survive. I like to get the 2.5 lb hard shells as they are tough enough for the trip and have a nice meat to total weight ratio.

I assumed you were referencing MBAGuy's post, about a seven year old. If not, my mistake.

Oh, I was indeed referencing his post. He used the seven year old as an example to claim that the current generation doesn't care about older generations of video games. While I recognize that a seven year old isn't the best example, I'm not the one using the seven year old as the example. The Atari 2600 does translate pretty well, there are a lot of people into retrogaminghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrogaming, but generally they would have to be older than 7. It's not an issue of generational differences, simply one of age. A lot of kids don't like mustard, but they will be more likely to like mustard as adults - it would be a mistake to observe that a 7 year old did not like mustard and then conclude that this generation doesn't appreciate mustard.

Not that yellow crap, but whole grain mustard I assume. I will admit to using honey mustard, but only on grilled asparagus wrapped in prosciutto.

Another East Coaster. I love my weekend trips to the lot and stadium in the fall. Delta flies direct so it's perfect. This experience has taught me that lobsters can be checked with baggage and they survive. I like to get the 2.5 lb hard shells as they are tough enough for the trip and have a nice meat to total weight ratio.

I haven't made it back there yet to see the new stadium :cry:, but I am hoping for next year, or maybe just waiting to make that trip until the program is more settled and on a more solid basis (read: we've got a better team). I have seen the Gophers play in State College though, as well as East Lansing and Columbus, so I am doing my best to represent the Gophers out here on da East Side. :cool:

And this will be the last time I attempt ironic allegory on GH....

Fail on my part, I guess.

It's ok. Have a bourbon, and all will be well again. :p

I am sure that it just went over everyone's head. I bet that happens to you a lot, considering that you have an MBA.

I am sure that it just went over everyone's head. I bet that happens to you a lot, considering that you have an MBA.

Figured you'd get it, on account of how clever you are.

What I would give to be invited into the holy tabernacle of Lobstergate III.

For those who do not know, Lobstergate I and II were turned into magazine articles, then expanded into books, and finally they optioned the movie rights. You've probably already seen these movies. Did you see Wedding Crashers and Transformers II? Yeah, they took some liberties with the script, but I think you get a sense of the epic proportions of this event.

'I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal.'

For those who do not know, Lobstergate I and II were turned into magazine articles, then expanded into books, and finally they optioned the movie rights. You've probably already seen these movies. Did you see Wedding Crashers and Transformers II? Yeah, they took some liberties with the script, but I think you get a sense of the epic proportions of this event.

How they ever got Megan Fox to play the role of Studwell is beyond me. Talk about taking liberties....

In the first 16 hours following the announcement of the Essay contests, I have received 2 submissions. Thanks guys! Both were great reads! For those who haven't figured it out, submit to me via Private Message.

I've had 12 submissions and I am not even running a contest. 10 of mine were great reads. Much appreciated everyone!

Picked my boy up from Sacred Heart preschool today and as we headed out to the beach we heard a new Old 97s song. The lyric was something along the lines of "you won't wind up in heaven, you'll be in Champaign, Illinois". They're right, that is one dumpy town. Then I got to thinking about their tour and I remembered going to MN for the USC game and seeing Arcade Fire and Calexico were going to be playing Northrup. Man, that would have been an awesome show. I wonder how that show turned out.

Sorry, I know this doesn't pertain to Delta airlines allowing Red Lobster take out onboard their aircraft although I'm not sure anyone doubted for a second that hush puppies were allowed on a commercial plane. But it does have to do with things that I wonder.

If I were to have a contest for the best short essay on a message board, would it make sense to have those essays submitted as posts and contributions to the message board or as private messages? I'm kinda leaning towards posts.

Oh, and Tipsy and Leeks, is this an instance where you are telling the truth or an instance where you are lying, like that time when you faked your death? With the spate of people intentionally starting rumors on here or starting threads with the title of "ESPN states Brewster no fired" you never can be sure. Although I'm sure it would be funny if you befriended someone at Red Lobster gate and then a few weeks later told them you had some terminal illness. Good times indeed.

Picked my boy up from Sacred Heart preschool today and as we headed out to the beach we heard a new Old 97s song. The lyric was something... Good times indeed.

Well done, R. Gopher. You're falling in line like the rest of 'em... my work here is nearly complete.

:cool02::cool02:

Nearly complete??? I think it is complete. Well done!! You tricked 'em again. Go ahead and give yourself another one of those smiley faces with the fedora and the cigarette. Those are kewl. I think you deserve three of them.

Top Bottom