little recruiting updates

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
As noted elsewhere, the gophers will be in sioux city to watch 7 footer Adam Woodbury and pg/sg Mike Gesell. Woodbury is highly rated and has a ton of offers, at one time was a strong Iowa lean but sounds like he is more open now. Gesell is a combo guard from Sioux City, Neb. also with a bunch of offers.http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/basketball/recruiting/player-Mike-Gesell-89927 Both 2012 kids.

Tubby will be paying a visit to super soph. pg bronson koenig from LaCrosse in the next two weeks and will extend the long overdue scholarship offer. Had a chance to watch him play on Saturday and he is very, very good and you can see why Wisconsin has made him such a huge priority. North Carolina is also heavily involved. Even though he is just a soph. and lives on our border, we are most likely way to late to this party. Let's hope UNC comes through with an offer, Bo's version of Tyus.

One kid who I also watched on Sat. who I like and would not mind seeing the gophers offer is Rice Lake wing Wally Ellenson. http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/basketball/recruiting/player-Wally-Ellenson-96611. He is a pretty smooth lefty who can handle the ball, shoot from deep, and score around the basket. May not be athletic enough for some but this kid is just a flat out player. Also has an 8th grade brother who is supposed to be pretty good. Will play for MN Pump N Run next year.

Minnesota is keeping a very close eye on Fl. sharp shooter Austin Keel. http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/basketball/recruiting/player-Austin-Keel-118642. We we're on him earlier in the year some and are in the process of reviewing his film. may be a spring signing candidate.

We still really like Walter Pitchford

Saw Darrion Strong on sat. and he played pretty well, especially late in the game showing a beautiful mid range jump shot, he hit four of them in a two minute span and also had a couple strong finishes at the hoop for three point plays. He will be one to keep a close eye on.

also on sat. I watched Hopkins absolutely take madison East to the woodshed, winning by nearly 50. madison did have Nimrod hilliard who signed with South Dakota after expressing a desire to play for the Gophers. He is super quick and fun to watch but not Big ten caliber.
I'm starting to like syani more every time I watch him. His shot is much improved. I want to see him against some better competition though. I'm a little down on Zierdon after the the last three times I've seen him.

Still hearing great things about the Grand Rapids 8th grader, looks like they have a pretty good chance of making state.

Nice. Thanks for the updates!

thanks for the updates and info.

according to some people from Eau Claire Ellenson's dad may remind us of Humphries and Westbrook.

keel looks like a hoffarber clone when he came out of Hopkins (besides the lefty part) he would be a great add in my opinion

As noted elsewhere, the gophers will be in sioux city to watch 7 footer Adam Woodbury and pg/sg Mike Gesell. Woodbury is highly rated and has a ton of offers, at one time was a strong Iowa lean but sounds like he is more open now. Gesell is a combo guard from Sioux City, Neb. also with a bunch of offers.http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/basketball/recruiting/player-Mike-Gesell-89927 Both 2012 kids.

Tubby will be paying a visit to super soph. pg bronson koenig from LaCrosse in the next two weeks and will extend the long overdue scholarship offer. Had a chance to watch him play on Saturday and he is very, very good and you can see why Wisconsin has made him such a huge priority. North Carolina is also heavily involved. Even though he is just a soph. and lives on our border, we are most likely way to late to this party. Let's hope UNC comes through with an offer, Bo's version of Tyus.

One kid who I also watched on Sat. who I like and would not mind seeing the gophers offer is Rice Lake wing Wally Ellenson. http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/basketball/recruiting/player-Wally-Ellenson-96611. He is a pretty smooth lefty who can handle the ball, shoot from deep, and score around the basket. May not be athletic enough for some but this kid is just a flat out player. Also has an 8th grade brother who is supposed to be pretty good. Will play for MN Pump N Run next year.

Minnesota is keeping a very close eye on Fl. sharp shooter Austin Keel. http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/basketball/recruiting/player-Austin-Keel-118642. We we're on him earlier in the year some and are in the process of reviewing his film. may be a spring signing candidate.

We still really like Walter Pitchford

Saw Darrion Strong on sat. and he played pretty well, especially late in the game showing a beautiful mid range jump shot, he hit four of them in a two minute span and also had a couple strong finishes at the hoop for three point plays. He will be one to keep a close eye on.

also on sat. I watched Hopkins absolutely take madison East to the woodshed, winning by nearly 50. madison did have Nimrod hilliard who signed with South Dakota after expressing a desire to play for the Gophers. He is super quick and fun to watch but not Big ten caliber.
I'm starting to like syani more every time I watch him. His shot is much improved. I want to see him against some better competition though. I'm a little down on Zierdon after the the last three times I've seen him.

Still hearing great things about the Grand Rapids 8th grader, looks like they have a pretty good chance of making state.

WOW! How many games did you watch on Saturday?

It seems like being late to offer has been a consistant pattern for the Gophers. I'd hope that we'd be to the point that the program would be able to evaluate top talent and make offers on the same timeline as other programs.

Great info -- thanks Johnny -- If you care to comment, what do you think the odds are of getting Tyus? It may be way too early to tell, but your thoughts on him heading to Mn would be appreciated.

Would LOVE to have a guy named Nimrod Hilliard on the squad. Maybe we can find another Nimrod somewhere?

Thanks, Johnny, for all the info.

I would say the Gophers have as good of a chance of getting Koenig as the Badgers do of getting Jones.

I would say the Gophers have as good of a chance of getting Koenig as the Badgers do of getting Jones.

I would say that Minnesota has an equal chance of getting him as Wisconsin does (as close to 0 as physically possible).

If anyone is interested Austin Keels Winter Park squad (along with Austin Rivers) is on FSN right now taking on Boys & Girls (Brooklyn) as part of a Brandon Jennings tournament. Game isn't live, but still a chance to get a look at a possible future gopher

Is Keel purely a 2, or can he play PG? He would be filling Cory's brother's scholarship?

Would LOVE to have a guy named Nimrod Hilliard on the squad. Maybe we can find another Nimrod somewhere?

Yes. A Nimrod would be unforgettable, and TOTALLY awesome.

WOW! How many games did you watch on Saturday?

It was a tournament in St cloud which matched up Mn vs. Wisc teams. Only Hopkins and Tartan we're not from the St. Cloud area for MN.

Does Tubby get his practice of offering late from coaching at UK? Down there so many people wanted to play for UK because of the programs status nationally and offering to early was not really in the benefit of the program. Before UK did he make offers earlier? Just curious.

Just want to say that I really appreciate these updates - thanks JG

JG, as of right now do you think Tubby has relegated Siyani to that "next" group of PG's he would consider offering if his first tier of recruits is lost? Personally, I feel like Siyani will be a must get as this state does not very often produce top tier PG talent and he is already rated highly by the recruiting services. To me it will be disappointing if he does not end up being a gopher.

I guess in your eyes, what makes him NOT big 10 talent worthy? Is he over-rated by the scouting services?

Well I'm on board with.....

the Ellenson kid from Rice Lake. He can shoot and get to the basket....also finds the open man. Looks like Hoff with a little more bounce (Wis. State high school high jump champ) maybe not quite as good a stroke.

Plus.....he's a lefty!

What's the scholly situation for this year and next? I am assuming that one opened up with Devoe's departure. Could we possibly roll that one over for 2012?

What's the scholly situation for this year and next? I am assuming that one opened up with Devoe's departure. Could we possibly roll that one over for 2012?

I would assume so, but a PG or Big would be nice. Sampson, Iverson, and Trevor will all be seniors next year, leaving us with Elliot and Walker...I think we could really use a big.

I would assume so, but a PG or Big would be nice. Sampson, Iverson, and Trevor will all be seniors next year, leaving us with Elliot and Walker...I think we could really use a big.

Woodbury seems like a logical choice for me even though he is 2012. I hate throwing scholarships away at athletes at the last second. I realize that this year we would have been screwed if we wouldn't have offered chip and ahanmisi at the last second, but I am hoping that with this new opening we can wait on it a year and put it to better use where tubby can pursue someone over an extended period of time in hopes of landing a better talent.

if this attrition keeps happening, we can say goodbye to being good. W devoe and nolen we shouldve been top 3, without, top 5, more recruiting classes like last years=6-10 for us

Thanks, Johnny, for all the info.

to be clear: there are plenty of nimrods on the other side of the river.

I don't think a big would make any sense for the 3rd player in the class. We probably wouldn't get a very good big this late. There's also nothing wrong with a junior Walker, "sophomore" Eliason, two players who could potentially somewhat play pf if really necessary (Rodney and Oto), and a freshman big who would probably be better than whoever we would've brought in the year before.

I don't think a big would make any sense for the 3rd player in the class. We probably wouldn't get a very good big this late. There's also nothing wrong with a junior Walker, "sophomore" Eliason, two players who could potentially somewhat play pf if really necessary (Rodney and Oto), and a freshman big who would probably be better than whoever we would've brought in the year before.

The 6-9 kid from Michigan is a good player (being sought by other B10 schools).

Better check your sources on playing for Pump N Run. Already on board with WI Playground Warriors.

Top Bottom