Listening to the national experts

Reaction score
My advice to everyone is to calm down, and listen to the national experts for college football when judging this hire. For example, I listen to satellite radio and the experts in the south called Mullen a home-run hire for Miami, yet many people here were against that hire and would have been disappointed. If a guy is a home run hire for a helmet school, he's out of our reach. I trust the experts and opinions of the national media and those in the SEC way more than anyone locally, who couldn't have told you who Jerry Kill is at the start of the year (by the way, I couldn't have told you either). Those people live and die college football. I'm not going to judge things until I hear what those college football experts have to say. They don't have a stake in saying this was a great hire or a bad hire. So sit back, relax, and give it a few days. Take in the national steam and see if we did well or did poorly. They know a lot more than we know, and way more than a Patrick Reusse, Doogie, Sid or anyone else locally.

I read post after post all week saying Mullen wouldn't be a good hire. That was enough for me to realize that very few people here know much about college football. We're too insulated here, and that includes myself. I knew little about Mullen, but when I heard Bill King from Rival Radios call him the ultimate up and comer and the future of college football, I'll take his word for it. Now I'll wait to hear what King has to say on Monday morning about the hire. My gut feeling is that he'll think it is solid, but not spectacular. That's how I feel as well. I think it is a step forward in the right direction. He's the type of guy who could be here for 10 years and grind it out toward the middle of the pack, then hopefully toward the top. Given where we are at, that is my expectations. Will he be able to turn us into a top tier team in one year? No, but few could. But my guess is at least 5 wins next year, and competitive in most every game. He's a ball coach, not a G-Q model. Get over his looks. Brewster looked the part of a head coach and look where that got us. As far as excitement goes, I'd put my letter grade at a C-plus B-. It's certainly not the sky is falling attitude most people have on here.

Are these the same national "experts" that said Tim Brewster was the greatest recruiter of all time and would win big at Minnesota?

Mullen and Leach were the people's choice. Horrible example.

I never heard any national experts say Brewster would win big and recruit well here, other than his buddy in the recruiting business. I'm not saying they didn't say it, I just don't recall other than Lemming. That being said, one could argue Brewster did recruit relatively well here, he just had no idea whatsoever how to coach them up.

Rittenberg

I consider Rittenberg a pretty good source. Here is his response...
"But Kill is a darn good football coach. I like the hire, and after a bit of time, I think Minnesota fans will too."

The national experts are snickering.

My advice to everyone is to calm down, and listen to the national experts for college football when judging this hire. For example, I listen to satellite radio and the experts in the south called Mullen a home-run hire for Miami, yet many people here were against that hire and would have been disappointed. If a guy is a home run hire for a helmet school, he's out of our reach. I trust the experts and opinions of the national media and those in the SEC way more than anyone locally, who couldn't have told you who Jerry Kill is at the start of the year (by the way, I couldn't have told you either). Those people live and die college football. I'm not going to judge things until I hear what those college football experts have to say. They don't have a stake in saying this was a great hire or a bad hire. So sit back, relax, and give it a few days. Take in the national steam and see if we did well or did poorly. They know a lot more than we know, and way more than a Patrick Reusse, Doogie, Sid or anyone else locally.

Yes and remember how Tom Lemming LOVED Tim Brewster? Thanks very much!

That's what I said. Lemming loved Brewster, and we also were told that Brewster and Lemming had a relationship that might have skewed that opinion. That was my point. Plus Lemming is a recruiting guy, not a coaches guy. Like I said, wait to see what the experts all say. Then take a pulse. So far, I've seen one. Rittenberg, and he likes the hire.

That's what I said. Lemming loved Brewster, and we also were told that Brewster and Lemming had a relationship that might have skewed that opinion. That was my point. Plus Lemming is a recruiting guy, not a coaches guy. Like I said, wait to see what the experts all say. Then take a pulse. So far, I've seen one. Rittenberg, and he likes the hire.

What do you expect him to say? He plays nice guy to every Big Ten fan base. He wants as many followers/readers as possible. Not to mention if he came out and bashed the coach it would limit his access to the team.

herein lies the rub.

Lemming actively lobbied against players coming here when Mason was coach. What we needed, our soon to be former AD laid out in the press conf. Someone who brought credibility to the program.

Jerry Kill is from what I've seen so far, a very good football coach, but Lemming and his ilk will be actively pushing those kids away from our program unless/until he proves himself.

Not saying it is right, just saying it's happening and why Kill falls short of the need at this time. It is just harder for the program -- and honestly, I can't get over the thougth that Maturi called all of the coaches that beat us this year and offered them the job. I have zero faith that he handled this correctly.

I am also petrified this clown is going to hire our next hockey coach. The warning signs with Lucia have been out there for 2 years now, so we're at least guaranteed that Joel will once again have NO CLUE who he might look at as a new hockey coach and blow his wad on another search firm. At least with Hockey we SHOULD be the school no one will say no to.

Still, not sure anyone will take a job with Joel Maturi at the helm.

Unless Badger Bob is looking for work.

I never heard any national experts say Brewster would win big and recruit well here, other than his buddy in the recruiting business. I'm not saying they didn't say it, I just don't recall other than Lemming. That being said, one could argue Brewster did recruit relatively well here, he just had no idea whatsoever how to coach them up.

Tom Lemming!

The so-called 'national experts' see us as an also-ran school that has no business competing for a Big 10 title. Any coach that gets us to around .500 will be seen as brillant by the so-called 'national experts'. The 'national experts' also told us about how great the talent was that Brewster was bringing in. To hell with the so-called 'national experts'.

The so-called national experts see us as an also-ran school that has no business competing for a Big 10 title. Any coach that gets us to around .500 will be seen as brillant by the so-called 'national experts'. The national experts also told us about great the talent was that Brewster was bringing in. To hell with the so-called 'national experts'.

Problem is, those "experts" also reflect what the national perspective is of Minnesota in the coaching realm as well and I think we just found that out in a harsh way. I'm sorry everyone, but I think we're gonna have to win consistently at a 4-4, 5-3 BT level before we'll be able to lure away the "hot" coaching prospects.

I consider Rittenberg a pretty good source. Here is his response...
"But Kill is a darn good football coach. I like the hire, and after a bit of time, I think Minnesota fans will too."

Rittenberg is an idiot.

Are these the same national "experts" that said Tim Brewster was the greatest recruiter of all time and would win big at Minnesota?

That was just his moron friends at rivals that over-hyped our recruits for their buddy Brewster and made our recruiting classes rank higher than they should have (see scout rankings and actual performance).

I guess you are all right. Don't give him a chance. Don't listen to the national experts, who obviously know more than any of us on here. It should have been Leach or Petersen. Only those two, otherwise it was a fail. I give up. Be rational, come support the team. I for one am excited to see what a real football coach can do with the talent on this roster. He'll recruit Minnesota well. He'll get 110% out of each kid. He's got a perfect offense for Gray. He'll probably keep our best recruiter in Hammock. Sounds awful to me. Go Gophers!

I don't think Maturi is going to fire Lucia anytime soon, he first likes to give his coaching buddies huge extensions before he fires them. I think Lucia's contract is up in the next year or two.

On another note i really hope Kill takes the talent we have an produces a winner in a year or two, otherwise it will be interesting with a new AD to see what we get.

I hope Maturi is just trying to save some money to build us a basketball practice facility or something - because this hire does nothing to excite people right now.

On another note i really hope Kill takes the talent we have an produces a winner in a year or two, otherwise it will be interesting with a new AD to see what we get.

I think he'll do very well these first two years, then his recruits will start filtering in and we'll be mediocre yet again.

My fear

I think he'll do very well these first two years, then his recruits will start filtering in and we'll be mediocre yet again.

I hope the first part is true and fear the second part is true also.

Top Bottom