Linsay Whalen Questionable Coaching Ability

Lindsay Whalen needs help in the right places. The on-the-job learning program has been harsh. She will succeed, but she needs to figure out how to recruit the right complement of players for one thing.

Lindsay is a knowledgeable person in basketball regards, but she has been in over her head. She's even said as much in interviews. That's not necessarily her fault as she was hired before she had time to acquire those skills. My issues I've seen with the team simply go to her not really having her vision. She acquired assets and players, but did they mesh? Did they work with her coaching style? Obviously with them ALL leaving, they have not. She hired a very experienced and diverse group of assistants. I don't think that's the issue here. She is struggling to convey her message to players and getting them to all fall along. We have seen some addition by subtraction with some mid season transfers, but it's never been nor will be consistent until she rights the ship on who and how she recruits and builds a roster. Also it's not uncommon for star players to struggle as a coach. Dawn Staleys and Kim Mulkeys are rare.
The list is actually much longer. Niele Ivey, Aida Barnes, Pat Summit n Tara VanDerveer in early days, Katie Gearlds, Teri Moren, Carolyn Peck, Kara Lawson and even Brenda Frese played @ U of A. I am sure this is only a partial list of the previously successful players who turned into good coaches. I hope Whalen will be added to this list.

The list is actually much longer. Niele Ivey, Aida Barnes, Pat Summit n Tara VanDerveer in early days, Katie Gearlds, Teri Moren, Carolyn Peck, Kara Lawson and even Brenda Frese played @ U of A. I am sure this is only a partial list of the previously successful players who turned into good coaches. I hope Whalen will be added to this list.
I’m talking elite players. This is true in most sports not exclusive to basketball

I’m talking elite players. This is true in most sports not exclusive to basketball
Niele Ivey , Aida Barnes and Kara Lawson would meet most peoples definition of elite so I guess it depends on what criteria you are using for the definition of elite.

Niele Ivey , Aida Barnes and Kara Lawson would meet most peoples definition of elite so I guess it depends on what criteria you are using for the definition of elite.
Agree you can add those three. Probably Mulvey and maybe Van Da Veer? I’m talking all american, best player on their team, Olympian level. Former players? Yeah but mostly they don’t pan out or don’t even try coaching. It can be tough for that level of elite athlete to be able to work with people who continually aren’t as good as them. Just wired a little differently.

Agree you can add those three. Probably Mulvey and maybe Van Da Veer? I’m talking all american, best player on their team, Olympian level. Former players? Yeah but mostly they don’t pan out or don’t even try coaching. It can be tough for that level of elite athlete to be able to work with people who continually aren’t as good as them. Just wired a little differently.
I dont think it has a lot to do with the debate of 'great players make great coaches?', I think it has more to do with how you communicate with kids, do you have a message and is it clear.
Dawn Staley is a great communicator, her post game speech was inspiring, she was articulate. If you talk to Dawn, do you leave the conversation feeling inspired and motivated - I would say yes.
I think Geno used to be like that and I dont think kids relate to him as much anymore. Before Paige, UCONN was fading, in my opinion if Geno wouldn't of got Paige he would be retired.
The other thing I would add is there is leadership on the court, but do you have the leadership to build a staff and to lead them in more of a 'corporate america' standpoint, thats way different then leading on the court.
I dont believe the statement "tough for that level of elite athlete to be able to work with people who continually aren’t as good as them".. There are better shooters then Whalen, there better defenders, there are quicker players, so your job as a coach is to bring all those skillsets together.
Some of the best coaches are like salesman, they can sell you something and you buy it. I don't believe Whalen's strength is going to be 'salesman' and we'll see over time if she adapts.

Let's not forget the late, great Pat Summitt. She was a 1976 Olympian.

I believe all you naysayers will be proven wrong.
How many more years? 5 years? I think I was the only against the idea of hiring Whalen at the start for the same reasons that keep popping up now. It’s just common sense that you don’t hire a head coach with no coaching experience whatsoever.
I think Whalen will succeed and it will begin with this years recruiting class.
Does anybody know who even gets the most credit for the recruiting and will they honestly say in this house of Whalen homers? Is it Whalen or Thibault, who has now left.
I disagree that all the transfers are Whalens fault.
Pitts is definitely Whalen’s fault. Powell looks to be the same. It’s a domino effect now. Jump out of the dumpster fire.
I won’t overlook Scalia’s fathers remark about working hard.
Who’s supposed to motivate the players to work hard? Whalen’s methods, if she even has any methods, don’t seem to be working. It’s hard to say she has ever emphasized diet and fitness in her own playing career. So I doubt she’s expecting it out of her players.
I believe there were a lot of players on this team who were not team players and didn’t put in the work necessary to be a winning team.
Again, vaguely trying to blame individual players instead of the manager. A good coach should be able to take a collection of good players that they themselves wanted and make them into a better team. Whalen is not a good coach. What evidence besides this “such a good recruiting class” excuse is there that she’s a good coach? Does she communicate well without stumbling or making heavy use of tired cliches? Is she charismatic? All these things aren’t going to suddenly come to her in a couple more years. Either you have it or you don’t. She don’t have it.
While it’s painful to lose Scalia I believe it’s a good thing that everyone else is leaving. The house has been clean and we can start fresh.
You’re acting like Whalen wanted this mass exodus and that it’s a good thing. That’s quite deluded. I’ve got news for you. The house isn’t quite clean enough.

Quick question to everyone on this thread...

What is your personal coaching record out of curiosity that makes you/anyone experts on what it takes to be a good coach?
This is possibly the dumbest take I've seen. Let's see: Les Steckal, Cheryl Littlejohn, Ryan Saunders, Ray Miller, John Gutekunst...etc. Not sure I spelled everyone's name correctly, however, you get the point. So, if I understand your idiocy correctly, I can't criticize unsuccessful coaches because I've never coached on that level?

Got it. Complete failure. Team turnover year in and year out. Under .500 record. Not allowed to think they are in over their heads.

Thanks for clearing that up. Not sure what I would have done without your truly inspiring input.

How many more years? 5 years? I think I was the only against the idea of hiring Whalen at the start for the same reasons that keep popping up now. It’s just common sense that you don’t hire a head coach with no coaching experience whatsoever.

Does anybody know who even gets the most credit for the recruiting and will they honestly say in this house of Whalen homers? Is it Whalen or Thibault, who has now left.

Pitts is definitely Whalen’s fault. Powell looks to be the same. It’s a domino effect now. Jump out of the dumpster fire.

Who’s supposed to motivate the players to work hard? Whalen’s methods, if she even has any methods, don’t seem to be working. It’s hard to say she has ever emphasized diet and fitness in her own playing career. So I doubt she’s expecting it out of her players.

Again, vaguely trying to blame individual players instead of the manager. A good coach should be able to take a collection of good players that they themselves wanted and make them into a better team. Whalen is not a good coach. What evidence besides this “such a good recruiting class” excuse is there that she’s a good coach? Does she communicate well without stumbling or making heavy use of tired cliches? Is she charismatic? All these things aren’t going to suddenly come to her in a couple more years. Either you have it or you don’t. She don’t have it.

You’re acting like Whalen wanted this mass exodus and that it’s a good thing. That’s quite deluded. I’ve got news for you. The house isn’t quite clean enough.
You weren't the only one against the idea.

Wow. I truly didn't think you could get more pathetic..but here we are.

First and foremost, how in the world do you know what Whalen's diet/exercise was in her playing career. Four titles, all-time winningest player but yeah was a slob out there I guess and barely got up the court accordant to you. What's your diet and exercise like as a pro athlete to make you such an expert on essentially fat-shaming this woman? Classy as always.

Do you have ANNNYYYY knowledge of behind the scenes with Powell, Pitts or otherwise or simply just assuming? Have you talked to teammates or coaches who were there? Anything?

In terms of recruiting and the 2022s, have you talked directly to them? or Their Family? or their AAU coach? ANYONE with knowledge of why they are coming here? Or what they are thinking? or once again just assuming?

Once again why do you watch this program team? Making comments about weight at the coach clearly shows you have ZERO respect for the Whalen as a player or coach or human. Why watch them. there are over 300 other schools who I guess are run better. Watch them. comment on their coaches diet and weight.

Top Bottom