Lincoln Riley USC contract details: $110MM, 24/7 use of private plane for him and family, USC buying his 2 homes in Norman for $500K over asking

I love college football but agree that this is getting crazy.
Makes our little 5 mil a year look like a bargain which is insane when you consider how much money that is. Keep thinking there has to be a point where schools say no more but the numbers just keep on going up.

I mean heck, you have assistants making multi-million dollar salaries now. The contract Tucker got given his overall career record is ridiculous.

Of course with these massive contracts is going to come over the top expectations as well and these coaches are going to have to win at a super high level right away or they will get fired quickly.

Makes our little 5 mil a year look like a bargain which is insane when you consider how much money that is. Keep thinking there has to be a point where schools say no more but the numbers just keep on going up.

I mean heck, you have assistants making multi-million dollar salaries now. The contract Tucker got given his overall career record is ridiculous.

Of course with these massive contracts is going to come over the top expectations as well and these coaches are going to have to win at a super high level right away or they will get fired quickly.

I think as long as these TV deals keep getting bigger, the numbers will keep going up. Very crazy world we living in. These athletes need to start getting a much nicer piece.

This is an obscenity. USC is a private school, so it can waste its money without taxpayer scrutiny. But it is contracts such as this one that draw into focus how much there is to cream off—at the expense of non-revenue sports—if football players aren’t paid (beyond scholarships). A pox on USC. I hope this deal comes back to haunt them.

I think as long as these TV deals keep getting bigger, the numbers will keep going up. Very crazy world we living in. These athletes need to start getting a much nicer piece.
They won't, at least not at anywhere near the clip they have been. Look how much ESPN has slashed staff the last 5 years. Bally Sports may go bankrupt. Sports TV deals have reached their high point already. The NFL may be exempt from this. Maybe college football can be too, but I doubt it. MLB/NHL/NBA are already feeling it.

They won't, at least not at anywhere near the clip they have been. Look how much ESPN has slashed staff the last 5 years. Bally Sports may go bankrupt. Sports TV deals have reached their high point already.

I guess we will see if the schools get their ROI in the end

So now we see the new reality. This is what USC is willing to do for their #1 choice.

Is this limited to USC? I thought Tucker's deal at MSU was big.

well now we know no coach is untouchable, hopefully PJ never gets a crazy offer he cant refuse

Oh man, this is outlandish at best. I have nothing else to say at this point.

This means that if Fleck — or any other coach — wins a natty, somebody will pay huge for him. The market rate is going up, up, up.

Except - IMO, the caveat here is that - there are only so many USCs and LSUs in the country. And those jobs only come open so often. There are probably less than 10-12 schools that would pay this kind of money. Add in the fact that this is an unusual offseason with 4 VERY big jobs open at the same time. The outcome is it drove up the market up in a crazy way. I don't think it guarantees that we see the same numbers next offseason.

Except - IMO, the caveat here is that - there are only so many USCs and LSUs in the country. And those jobs only come open so often. There are probably less than 10-12 schools that would pay this kind of money. Add in the fact that this is an unusual offseason with 4 VERY big jobs open at the same time. The outcome is it drove up the market up in a crazy way. I don't think it guarantees that we see the same numbers next offseason.
And let's see what kind of patience USC has with Riley, how many years does he get to win big before they run him out of town. Same with Tucker at MSU, if MSU drops back to the pack some and becomes say an 8 win team instead of a 10 win team....how will they feel about spending 10 mil a year on their head coach. Easy to justify paying a guy like Saban top dollar.....gets a lot tougher to justify that is you aren't winning the National Championship on a regular basis. You don't pay that kind of money for just good results, you expect a title.

No, you're right.

But there are also very few Lincoln Rileys. He's a young guy who has coached 5 years in big time football, and his squad has easily finished in the Top 10 every season.

Lincoln Riley was recruiting California very very well at Oklahoma. How much easier has that become now at USC

And let's see what kind of patience USC has with Riley, how many years does he get to win big before they run him out of town. Same with Tucker at MSU, if MSU drops back to the pack some and becomes say an 8 win team instead of a 10 win team....how will they feel about spending 10 mil a year on their head coach. Easy to justify paying a guy like Saban top dollar.....gets a lot tougher to justify that is you aren't winning the National Championship on a regular basis. You don't pay that kind of money for just good results, you expect a title.
He's a good coach, USC is a helmet school, and this is an astronomical payday for Riley. That said, USC has been a location where good coach's careers go to die (or at least get derailed).

No, you're right.

But there are also very few Lincoln Rileys. He's a young guy who has coached 5 years in big time football, and his squad has easily finished in the Top 10 every season.
We think that there aren't many Lincoln Rileys. I think he is a good coach but he walked into a good situation and a really down Big XII. His best teams were all Bob Stoops' guys. I think Lincoln Riley is a good coach but a lot of coaches could have been really successful walking into that situation.

We think that there aren't many Lincoln Rileys. I think he is a good coach but he walked into a good situation and a really down Big XII. His best teams were all Bob Stoops' guys. I think Lincoln Riley is a good coach but a lot of coaches could have been really successful walking into that situation.

USC disagrees, obviously.

Some powerful people went after him hard, and got him. They must really want USC football to return to the glory of yesteryear.

Top Bottom