Lincoln Riley USC contract details: $110MM, 24/7 use of private plane for him and family, USC buying his 2 homes in Norman for $500K over asking

Go Gophers!!
For whomever asked what qualifies one to be a “mega-donor”, I think we have an unequivocal answer. I’d love to know how much private parties chipped in besides using one of their Gulfstreams.

USC disagrees, obviously.

Some powerful people went after him hard, and got him. They must really want USC football to return to the glory of yesteryear.
Of course they disagree. I also think he is a really good coach. I'm just pointing out that he isn't that tested. We are not talking about Urban Meyer who has built multiple programs and won national championships at multiple stops.

He walked into a really good situation in Oklahoma and never took the program to the promised land. That's not saying that he never will or wouldn't have. I'm just saying that we don't really know how he'll do building a program.

For whomever asked what qualifies one to be a “mega-donor”, I think we have an unequivocal answer. I’d love to know how much private parties chipped in besides using one of their Gulfstreams.

Are contributions — for the purpose of making a head football coach wealthy beyond all reason — tax deductible?

I'm betting they are, if you have good accountants and tax lawyers. And rich people usually do...

So, bottom line... why not write the check?

Last edited:

Of course they disagree. I also think he is a really good coach. I'm just pointing out that he isn't that tested. We are not talking about Urban Meyer who has built multiple programs and won national championships at multiple stops.

He walked into a really good situation in Oklahoma and never took the program to the promised land. That's not saying that he never will or wouldn't have. I'm just saying that we don't really know how he'll do building a program.

Yep.

And yet, the market speaks... sometimes in odd, unfathomable ways.

Are contributions — for the purpose of making a head football coach wealthy beyond all reason — tax deductible?

I'm betting they are, if you have good accountants and tax lawyers. And rich people usually do...

So, bottom line... why not write the check?
It's deductible as long as you don't get anything in return. Maybe it's more accurate to say that these contributions are deductible as long as the IRS cannot tie them to anything tangible.

For example, if you gave to a booster club in order to get seats - - not deductible.

Not without cheating. No.

I can remember when Colorado haired Chuck Fairbanks in the 70's with a boatload of out-of-whack largesse. Shocked the CFB world. How did that work out?

The craziest part about this is that he had two homes in Norman! Why the hell would anyone want two homes in Norman?!
Don't know, but Fleck has two homes here. Maybe it's the same thing--one for "regular living" and one for "recreation and recruiting."

We think that there aren't many Lincoln Rileys. I think he is a good coach but he walked into a good situation and a really down Big XII. His best teams were all Bob Stoops' guys. I think Lincoln Riley is a good coach but a lot of coaches could have been really successful walking into that situation.
You underestimate his value to USC. He is considered the QB whisperer, having a string of Heisman QB's, he has required several top 5 start players out of California, etc... He will make an instant impact by hauling in those recruits to USC. Instant credibility to the home state talent.

Do we know that? There were only 4 Cali kids on the Oklahoma roster.
Look at the commits he had for this season from California. Good haul of elite players from there who were willing to leave California for oklahoma

You underestimate his value to USC. He is considered the QB whisperer, having a string of Heisman QB's, he has required several top 5 start players out of California, etc... He will make an instant impact by hauling in those recruits to USC. Instant credibility to the home state talent.
I completely understand why USC would be interested. I wasn't criticizing the hire, I was just pointing out that with Lincoln Riley there are more unknowns with him than people are giving credit.

It's a risk that I can 100% understand why USC would take, but I'm just saying he is a guy who started his career on third base. He has never won the big one. Most of his success was with Bob Stoops recruits including Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray. It was also done beating up a crappy Big XII.

I'm merely pointing out that Lincoln Riley is a bit of an unknown. What we do know is impressive and I think it was a great hire for USC but we aren't talking about Urban Meyer here.

Lincoln Riley was recruiting California very very well at Oklahoma. How much easier has that become now at USC
This! The jet might be an empty gesture. Draw a big circle around both LA and San Diego and you really have 95% of your class every year.

Look at the commits he had for this season from California. Good haul of elite players from there who were willing to leave California for oklahoma

2021 class - zero players from California
  • 8 players from Texas/Oklahoma
2020 class - 1 player from California
  • 14 players from Texas/Oklahoma
2019 class - 3 players from California
  • 12 players from Texas/Oklahoma
2018 class - zero players from California
  • 14 players from Texas/Oklahoma

Make no mistake, Lincoln Riley's career was built with Texas and Oklahoma kids. The vast majority of his players were from that big circle around Norman. Not only the vast majority of his players, but his best players (Baker and Kyler) were both Texas kids. If he wants to compete for national championships, he'll need the jet to try to convince those SEC kids to go out west.

Lincoln Riley recruited California about as well as Bob Stoops. It's not surprising, it's one of the better programs in the country and they will recruit nationally.

Brian Kelly reportedly getting 15 million a year at LSU too. So these guys are getting paid more than the vast majority of NFL head coaches and in some case 2-3X more. With kids being able to transfer and play immediately and others now playing a 5th full year...how is this not purely minor league football? I'd feel a lot better about the coaches getting $5 million a year and the kids on the team splitting $10 million a year than I do about where we are currently.

The craziest part about this is that he had two homes in Norman! Why the hell would anyone want two homes in Norman?!
One for entertaining, one to live in.

Doesn't PJ basically have two homes in the metro?

One for entertaining, one to live in.

Doesn't PJ basically have two homes in the metro?
They have one in town, and one on Lake Minnetonka, yes.

Top Bottom