Lincoln Journal Star: Huskers need better talent; Frost may focus on portal since they are so close

swingman

Reaction score
2. Recruiting talk: One of Frost's central themes was the need for Nebraska to "get over the hump" as a program.

The Huskers have to "get an inch better," said Frost, ostensibly in reference to his 5-17 record in one-score decisions.

Of course, this is partly a recruiting discussion, and Frost gave us some illuminating comments in that regard.

"This recruiting class, we're going to focus on maybe some immediate-impact guys a little more — probably not sign as many freshmen," he said. "When you're as close as we've been, one or two more pieces — one or two more guys — will get you over the hump."

With that in mind, he said, Nebraska will turn much of its attention to the transfer portal and junior colleges.

The tenor of the conversation seems to jibe with something I've been saying for some time (and seems self-evident): First- and second-round NFL talent helps greatly in close games when a team desperately needs someone to make a big play or plays late in the contest.

Nebraska hasn't had an NFL first-rounder since cornerback Prince Amukamara in 2011.

Nebraska hasn't had an NFL second-rounder since 2015 (running back Ameer Abdullah and defensive end Randy Gregory).

If Nebraska had Abdullah and Gregory against Minnesota last week, it would've prevailed.

It's not always that simple. But it's often that simple.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we would have very merry christmas.
Frost's recruiting this year has been criticized by the fans.
I have no knowledge of it for the data supplied by the recruiting sites are flawed so I do not look at them.
Dipping into the JCO pool can be nothing but trouble for desperate coaches.

I think Frost player development given the talent he has brought in has lacked.

the bigger issue is discipline. Neb constantly beats themselves up. Thats on Frost.

im guessing Frost thought this job would be easier or the B1G West would be easier

Since the NCAA has a proposal on the table to eliminate all test scores for admission (for racial equity) . I don’t see JCO being a source for new talent. Of course every college program will follow suit. Not sure the “plus” athlete from the portal will want to transfer to a program trying to make waves.

I hate to keep going on about it, but my god, what a mess of a column. If Nebraska only had a couple of their NFL guys, they would've won? WTF? What a ham-handed attempt to spin things. I guess I could say that if the Gophers would have had Antoine Winfield and Rashod Bateman, they would have won by more. Good lord, these Nebraska writers need to get a clue.

He's recruiting class for this year looks pretty terrible....

Going to need a lot of portal...

I think Frost player development given the talent he has brought in has lacked.

the bigger issue is discipline. Neb constantly beats themselves up. Thats on Frost.

im guessing Frost thought this job would be easier or the B1G West would be easier
When you look at Nebraska's schedule and their results, you can tell they are very close to breaking out to an 8 or 9 win season but they just aren't there yet. They have had close losses to some very good teams. They aren't going to a major bowl - in fact they probably won't got to ANY bowl considering their schedule but they can still take baby steps forward with their program. If Frost can keep them playing hard the rest of the season, that's a start. At the very least they can make decisions going forward on what they want to do. There is a huge difference in your program by losing to Minnesota 30-23 or getting blown out 56-0. That game could easily go the other way the next year. All you need to do is get a little bigger, faster, stronger and smarter and learn from these losses what worked and what didn't work.

I hope they DON'T figure it out because I am sure next year's game will be a tough game for the Gophers when we play them.

That's probably why he is going for the "quick-fix" approach. He probably looks at PJ Fleck getting instant help from several key players with a little bit of envy to be honest.

When you look at Nebraska's schedule and their results, you can tell they are very close to breaking out to an 8 or 9 win season but they just aren't there yet. They have had close losses to some very good teams. They aren't going to a major bowl - in fact they probably won't got to ANY bowl considering their schedule but they can still take baby steps forward with their program. If Frost can keep them playing hard the rest of the season, that's a start. At the very least they can make decisions going forward on what they want to do. There is a huge difference in your program by losing to Minnesota 30-23 or getting blown out 56-0. That game could easily go the other way the next year. All you need to do is get a little bigger, faster, stronger and smarter and learn from these losses what worked and what didn't work.

I hope they DON'T figure it out because I am sure next year's game will be a tough game for the Gophers when we play them.
They are really close to an 8 or 9 win season for sure. Only like 4-5 wins away the last few years

They are really close to an 8 or 9 win season for sure. Only like 4-5 wins away the last few years
Well -- I am not saying it's easy, but it can be done. Look at the Gophers -- they went 3-4 last year and could break out to 8-9 wins very easily this year. Maybe more! Or look at the Gophers going 5-7 in 2017, 7-6 in 2018 and then 11-2 in 2019. The point is -- it CAN be done.

To be honest, I know Scott Frost means well but I do not think he is a gargantuan coach who can build a dynasty. They had at least three other coaches who I think were better than him and they fired all three. Now they might make another mistake and let the mediocre one stay on longer when they SHOULD have fired him!!! lol

Well -- I am not saying it's easy, but it can be done. Look at the Gophers -- they went 3-4 last year and could break out to 8-9 wins very easily this year. Maybe more! Or look at the Gophers going 5-7 in 2017, 7-6 in 2018 and then 11-2 in 2019. The point is -- it CAN be done.

To be honest, I know Scott Frost means well but I do not think he is a gargantuan coach who can build a dynasty. They had at least three other coaches who I think were better than him and they fired all three. Now they might make another mistake and let the mediocre one stay on longer when they SHOULD have fired him!!! lol
The gophers going 3-4 last year in a conference only season is closer to 8 wins than frost has been. In most years 3-4 conference season equates to a 6-7 win season with a 4-5 conference record

I wasn’t aware that last place was so close to first. Was it Ricky Bobby who said, “if you’re last that’s so close to first!”

Since the NCAA has a proposal on the table to eliminate all test scores for admission (for racial equity) . I don’t see JCO being a source for new talent. Of course every college program will follow suit. Not sure the “plus” athlete from the portal will want to transfer to a program trying to make waves.
You will still have players that lack the necessary core courses to qualify!

As far as I am concerned, the best possible outcome of all of this is that Frost and Alberts really and truly believe that Nebraska is just a couple of breaks away from winning 8-9 games every year again and proceed accordingly. Every year they hold that belief sets them further down the road to perpetual mediocrity and makes it harder for the next guy to right the ship.

As far as I am concerned, the best possible outcome of all of this is that Frost and Alberts really and truly believe that Nebraska is just a couple of breaks away from winning 8-9 games every year again and proceed accordingly. Every year they hold that belief sets them further down the road to perpetual mediocrity and makes it harder for the next guy to right the ship.
Plz yes!

A loss is a loss is a loss is a loss. The score doesn't matter if you don't win. Using game scores as a benchmark for "close" is ridiculous. 3-5 isn't close to 8-0.

Reactions: MRJ

Scotty Frost should grow-up and stop acting like he's still in college. He's very classless and I can't imagine his players have any respect for him. Only Nebraska would keep him for a head-coach. Just awful.

Maybe chew more tobacco.

Anyone care to look up the strength of schedule for NEB since Frost took over compared to MN

The media guys are giving Frost cover.

A really bad recruiting class and they might be forced to fire him.

The only thing that Husker fans need to realize is that their program is weaker than the Goohers. How painful that must be for them.

Top Bottom