Let's try this again...

Silver Fox

Former Gopher
Reaction score
I am sorry that my thread was off subject and was moved because of the vague comments I made. There is no intent other than this thread would encourage those I Privately Messaged to reply to me.

This thread is in regard to the Gopher Radio Broadcasts and the previously posted threads talking about the displeasure of some posters in the broadcast team and their on-air coverage of the Gophers.

I am an award winning football broadcaster and currently the voice of the Sioux Falls Storm 4-Time national champions of Indoor Football and a former Gopher (Spring 1974 walk-on and one of two walk-ons invited to fall camp).

There are those posting on this site that feel a change should be made in the Gopher Radio broadcast play-by-play and I feel that I have the ability, background and passion for the job. I have sent PMs to those who have shown the most interest in this subject and am now hoping to get a reading from the general posters of just how much of an issue this is and if there is enough support to bring this to light with-in the entire Gopher community or if this displeasure is only a minority of the listeners and posters.

I have made contact with Learfield Sports and they are aware of my interest in this position whether or not a change is ever made. Also, I am in no way criticizing the current broadcast crew or their broadcasts but rather responding to posts and comments made by members of this forum. Being a member of the Gophers so many years ago has not diminished my love for the U of M or its football program and it would be my honor and career highlight to broadcast their games.

To hear my voice and delivery follow this link: http://www.siouxfallsstorm.com/index...age&Itemid=320 and scroll to the Sioux Falls Vs Sioux City 4-1010 broadcast.

If this form of thread is not appropriate for this forum I will understand its removal.

Thanks for reading and letting me know what you think.

Rich Roste

Attachments

• Rich Roste Broadcast picture thumbnail 002.jpg
    Rich Roste Broadcast picture thumbnail 002.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Gopher pictures 3.jpg
    Gopher pictures 3.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 51

I'd love to listen to your sample, but the link is broken.

go to SiouxFallsStorm.com and click on radio archives and scroll down to the 4-10-10 game. You can advance through the game and check any spot and chances are it will be my call because this was just the highlight recorder and not the entire game.

Thanks,
Rich

Just plugged into your 4-10 highlights tape for about 30 seconds. That's all it took for me to give you my ringing endorsement. Is there a petition that I can sign to send to Learfield? The current Gopher Football PBP announcer does not hold a candle to you my friend. Nice work!

I'm on board with Silver Fox - how do I contact Learfield?

Aren't there any homeless people with "golden voices" in the Twin Cities area?

I think we want to hire someone with play-by-play experience in a major conference.

The self-promoting bothers me a bit...

silverfox, I live in Sioux Falls and have heard your play calling from time to time. I think you do a great job and hope you get the Gopher gig. I think we deserve someone that has passion for the U and is good at what they do, you seem to fill both. Good luck, it seems like an impossible job to get, but here's to hoping.....

The self-promoting bothers me a bit...

Really??? When you are looking for a new job, do you "self-promote?"

If you're still a student and have not looked for a job yet, you'll soon discover that you to will need to self-promote.

Unfortunately...I highly doubt that they will hire someone to replace Dave Lee. Folks have been complaining about his ineptness to provide a quality play-by-play for years now. Seems as though no one cares...pretty much is a reflection of the entire Football Program.

It is time for a good house cleaning of the Gopher Football Radio Broadcasts.

Go Gophers

You sound good to me, Silver Fox. I'd like to see you get the Gophers gig, as you would seem to be highly qualified. You've got broadcasting experience, you do a good job and have a good voice, and you're a former Gopher player to boot. The difference between the quality of your work and that of David Lee's is pretty much night and day, so good luck to ya, man.

I think we want to hire someone with play-by-play experience in a major conference.

Announcing is announcing. He's made the right calls at every stop so far. The only question is whether he can attract the big time broadcast talent.

Thank you for all of the great posts and encouraging words. They mean more to me than you realize. Negative posts are also something that I wanted to see because those are very important issues to the posters and may very well be on the mind of many others. You learn most from your mistakes and believe me I've made a bunch of them but anyone in the public eye needs to welcome criticism and be able to address the issues shown to him.

I hope to hear from those posters that have been the most vocal regarding making changes in the Gopher broadcasts because their posts are the reason I have taken this chance to introduce myself on these boards and openly pursue the play-by-play job of the Gophers.

I also hope to hear from as many of you as possible with both positive and negative comments relative to me and this pursuit along with suggestions on what is my next step in reaching my sportscasting dream job.

Over the years I have corresponded with Ray Christensen asking him to review my demo tapes and give me his opinion regarding my broadcasting abilities. Ray was always very professional and prompt in responding to my requests and his advice and suggestions are something I have worked hard to incorporate into my broadcast. His autographed picture is on my desk with this inscription, "Rich, keep aiming high!"

Well, I'm aiming high and I will do whatever I can to become the radio voice of the Golden Gophers.

SilverFox,

1. I am listening to your 04/10/2010 broadcast snippets right now. If I were the hiring manager and were in control of the hiring decision, you would be hired by me. Unfortunately, I am not.

2. With respect to the 1974 team picture, I love the railroad grain silo towers / marshalling yard background. Sweet memories of "McLaughlin-Gormley-King" painted on the side of the one of the grain / flour buildings.

3. I wish you all the best and pray you get the job announcing for the Golden Gophers. You bring great energy and excitement to your play by play broadcast. This is exactly what Golden Gopher football needs! By the way, we were classmates at one time. What year did you graduate? I was class of 1975.

Winona Phantom we salute you!
Michigan – 0
Minnesota – 22
24 October 1953
SKI-U-MAH!
http://www.vva.org/testimony/2010/092910.html
http://www.dol.gov/ocia/congressionaltestimony/20090514_OFCCP.htm

Really??? When you are looking for a new job, do you "self-promote?"

If you're still a student and have not looked for a job yet, you'll soon discover that you to will need to self-promote.

I wouldn't send random unsolicited resumes to the customers of a business, which is what this is. I find that bizzare.

FYI, I have been in the workplace for 30 years. You need to self-promote yourself to the people that hire you. This in no way does that. This is embarassing.

6 Nov 1999: I graduated in 1976. CMU Ballroom, Healh Sciences-MortSci, BS - the Bi-Centennial year and by the time graduation came around we were so sick of hearing about the Bi-Centennial we had nothing about it during our ceremony.

Announcing is announcing. He's made the right calls at every stop so far. The only question is whether he can attract the big time broadcast talent.

Do you think he would keep the existing spotters, or ...bring his own with him?

highwayman:

You are right...this is embarrassing.

Why I stated things in my opening post and what actually happened:

1. I had already contacted Learfield Gopher Sports Properties and had received a reply that no changes are anticipated.
2. I Private Messaged those who were, on this message board, the most adamant posters to remove the current Gopher broadcasting play-by-play person...hoping to make private contact with these persons and exchange thoughts and ideas about the broadcasting situation...they did not answer
3. My original thread (Private Messages) was to encourage those who I had sent private messages to respond to me by way of private messages. They did not respond to this request either, however there were those who posted that thought I was soliciting something else. Now I look like an investigative reporter setting a trap or a sick-o trolling.
4. To explain myself I start adding information about why I am asking private messages to be answered. At this point this thread is moved to "Off Topic".
5. Now, looking sick and stupid I start a new thread, "Let's try this again..." where I try to clear my name and explain everything, something that I never intended to do in a public forum.
6. Summary...those I wanted to talk to never responded and highwayman is correct...I'm embarassed...but not exactly in the way he described.

Bottom line: My whole intent was to just test the waters through private messages. Now that everything is out in the open and having received so many positive posts relative to my broadcasting abilities, is there enough support from this forum and the Gopher community of fans and sponsors to pursue a petition to Learfield Sports to change broadcast team members? If this change does take place I know I may or may not be the one chosen to fill the vacancy.

I have stated my case in my posts and you can hear my game broadcasts on the link provided as to my voice and ability.

For those of you advocating for a change in the broadcast personnel, here is your chance to back up your statements. If there is anyone else or more that wants to take this to the next step and beyond, that is up to you. If it does happen I will be ever grateful but if it does not, I understand.

In spite of everything that went wrong on the board, there is one thing that I did accomplish, over 2000 readers (both threads) now know my name and that I'm interested and available to be the new voice of the Minnesota Golden Gopher football broadcasts.

Wow...simply wow! I can see if you were told that they were considering a change in the broadcasting team and you are throwing your hat in the ring but you were not. I agree that the broadcasting team is not the best and you may have the qualifications but I think it's pretty sad that after you were told personally that they were not considering a change that you want to wave the flag for change and rally the troops to have the current broadcasting team fired...and by the way, if you make a change - look at me, aren't I great. :rolleyes: Probably it was Jerry Kill who solicited disgruntled Gopher football fans to pressure Maturi to fire Brewster so he would have a shot at the job:rolleyes: No, I would guess he has a lot more class than that.

46Gophers - that's a great post and I know I have painted myself into a corner with this whole thing. My apologies to all that I have offended with my comments but after this went on this long I felt I was "pot committed" as they say on the poker television shows. I may be praised or lambasted for the way I am doing this but it's too late to change directions. I accept that the chips will fall where they may.

tough crowd...

I will support your petition, Mr. Fox! I guess, in the court of public opinion, there are many jurors from diverse backgrounds. And some are just too grumpy for their own good.

It is a noble thing to chase one's dreams, and it would be an honor to play a part in you chasing yours!

Who knows? Maybe you played ping pong with my dad, who was at the U in 1974-75!

Go Gophers, and all who have a dream and choose to pursue it!:clap:

It is a noble thing to chase one's dreams, and it would be an honor to play a part in you chasing yours!

So chase your dream by getting all of us to sign a petition to have someone fired so you can get hired? We may have differing ideas on what is noble.

Top Bottom