Lets talk 2011 recruiting

RaT

Reaction score
Looks like the Gophers are in on some really high profile OL for next years class.

Here are some guys who I think they might have a really great chance of landing just based on proximity

OT Derek Farniok 6'8" 305 lbs. Sioux Falls, SD
(Looks like every major school in the country is after him, with the Gophers believed to be his first offer.)

OT Ross Windfeldt 6'6" 310 Saint Cloud, MN
(Lots of schools interested in this kid as well. AL, Miami, IA, Neb., UCLA, etc)

OT Marcus Aprahamian 6'5" Brookfield, WI
(Wisconsin and Notre Dame are in on this kid as well)

All this and add to the fact that we already have a commitment from Tommy Olsen who is already 6'4" 275 lbs. and really looks promising as an interior lineman.

Does anyone know any more information about how we stand with some of these(or other) young men?

Got the Calvin Phillips verbal as well, although I haven't heard a lot coming from that camp as of late.

I am wondering how many OL we would actually take for next year.

I am wondering how many OL we would actually take for next year.

The Gophers' OL recruits from this current 2010 class have been told that there would be 6-7 OL recruits this year, and 5 more for next year.;)

I don't know if/how this OL recruiting philosophy changes with Davis heading back to L.A.:confused:

Recruits

I wonder how many are invited to Brews football camps. Anybody know?

OL is key to the Gophers having success. I truly believe that under Brewster and Cosgrove that our Defense will always keep us in games if not win some, but our OL is the unit that needs to be improved and hopefully some day dominant.

I would like to talk OL today.

Who's in?

Looks like the Gophers are in on some really high profile OL for next years class.

Here are some guys who I think they might have a really great chance of landing just based on proximity

OT Derek Farniok 6'8" 305 lbs. Sioux Falls, SD
(Looks like every major school in the country is after him, with the Gophers believed to be his first offer.)

OT Ross Windfeldt 6'6" 310 Saint Cloud, MN
(Lots of schools interested in this kid as well. AL, Miami, IA, Neb., UCLA, etc)

OT Marcus Aprahamian 6'5" Brookfield, WI
(Wisconsin and Notre Dame are in on this kid as well)

All this and add to the fact that we already have a commitment from Tommy Olsen who is already 6'4" 275 lbs. and really looks promising as an interior lineman.

Does anyone know any more information about how we stand with some of these(or other) young men?

I saw an article recently on Rivals where Ross Windfeldt said that Wisconsin has always been his favorite team, so not looking that great for him out of the gate.

I saw an article recently on Rivals where Ross Windfeldt said that Wisconsin has always been his favorite team, so not looking that great for him out of the gate.

Just out of curiosity, do you ever have good news? :)

If true, I call traitor.

This level of treason should and will not be tolerated if I was Governor.

These are our returning lineman that I found on our 2009 roster. Other than Wills and Carufel, who do you'll think can and will lock down starting positions?

76 Alford, Dominic OL 6-3 336 Jr. Cleveland, Ohio (Shaker Heights)
63 Brinkhaus, Andy OL 6-3 276 Jr. Bloomington, Minn. (Bloomington Jefferson)
68 Bunders, Chris OL 6-3 322 So. Maple Grove, Minn. (Osseo)
53 Burris, D.J. OL 6-2 290 Jr. Kenton, Ohio (Kenton)
73 Carufel, Matt OL 6-5 302 Jr. Forest Lake, Minn. (Notre Dame)
61 Davis, Trey OL 6-2 281 So. Farmington, Minn. (Farmington )
64 Hahn, Austin OL 6-4 275 RFr. Hartford, Wis. (Hartford HS)
75 Michel, Brooks OL 6-7 295 Fr. Carmel, Ind. (Carmel HS)
62 Mottla, Zach OL 6-2 274 Fr. Edina, Minn. (Cretin-Derham Hall HS)
58 Olson, Ed OL 6-7 288 Fr. Mahtomedi, Minn. (Mahtomedi HS)
78 Orton, Ryan OL 6-4 296 So. Eden Prairie, Minn. (Eden Prairie)
71 Wills, Jeff OL 6-7 365 Jr. Laurelton, N.Y. (Lackawanna College)
60 Wynn, Ryan OL 6-5 296 So. Plymouth, Minn. (Maple Grove)

These are our returning lineman that I found on our 2009 roster. Other than Wills and Carufel, who do you'll think can and will lock down starting positions?

76 Alford, Dominic OL 6-3 336 Jr. Cleveland, Ohio (Shaker Heights)
63 Brinkhaus, Andy OL 6-3 276 Jr. Bloomington, Minn. (Bloomington Jefferson)
68 Bunders, Chris OL 6-3 322 So. Maple Grove, Minn. (Osseo)
53 Burris, D.J. OL 6-2 290 Jr. Kenton, Ohio (Kenton)
73 Carufel, Matt OL 6-5 302 Jr. Forest Lake, Minn. (Notre Dame)
61 Davis, Trey OL 6-2 281 So. Farmington, Minn. (Farmington )
64 Hahn, Austin OL 6-4 275 RFr. Hartford, Wis. (Hartford HS)
75 Michel, Brooks OL 6-7 295 Fr. Carmel, Ind. (Carmel HS)
62 Mottla, Zach OL 6-2 274 Fr. Edina, Minn. (Cretin-Derham Hall HS)
58 Olson, Ed OL 6-7 288 Fr. Mahtomedi, Minn. (Mahtomedi HS)
78 Orton, Ryan OL 6-4 296 So. Eden Prairie, Minn. (Eden Prairie)
71 Wills, Jeff OL 6-7 365 Jr. Laurelton, N.Y. (Lackawanna College)
60 Wynn, Ryan OL 6-5 296 So. Plymouth, Minn. (Maple Grove)

I've got to think if LT Alford/Orton, LG Burris/Bunders, or C Burris/Davis had jobs locked down they'd had had them all of this year. Wynn? Who knows? He looked really overmatched in 08, and back injuries have a bad habit of coming back. Brinkhaus has done nothing. Hahn and Mottla are walkons, so they'll have to really impress to get starting jobs.

If Olson and Michel show themselves well in the spring and summer camps, they just might get a shot, but again they are freshmen, there's just not a great success rate on the Oline with young guys, too much maturation is involved physically for a 19 year old to be ready.

Unfortunately to me it looks like at least 1 more year before we have an Oline that can dominate.
Ragoo, Leinkiewitcz, Gjere, Epping, Eggen, maybe Josh Allen all have great potential, moreso than the 07 or 09 OL recruits I believe. Leinkiewitcz and Gjere have amazing feet in their videos and can really move. Ragoo has elite size, if he can improve his speed and footwork he'll be really good. Epping to me is a really nice looking roadgrader guard type, he plays low and has a motor.
Josh Allen could end up at DE, I saw him when he visited, he's pretty tall and athletic looking but wears his 250-260 lbs like a DE/TE moreso than an Olinemen. I don't know much about Eggen.

Alford/Bunders/Burris/Carufel/Wills start the opener.
I'll say Michel/Bunders/Burris/Carufel/Wills are our starters in the final week of the season.
Olson, Orton, Wynn and Davis contribute and start a handful of games due to injuries.

BTW, I hate to highjack this thread for those looking for recruiting insight.
Farniok walked past me at the stadium on his visit, he's a big big man. Also the SDSU jackrabbit board was raving about him. Tommy Olson looks legit too, keep stocking the shelves Brew!
OL is a great way to improve a program!

Lets not forget Campion. Heard he is in the mix for the C position next year.

And you never know, a hail mary commitment from Seantrel Henderson would shore up that LT spot.

I just love the size that we are assembling.

BTW, I also think that Josh Allen is going to play D as well as Epping. Just a hunch.

Lets not forget Campion. Heard he is in the mix for the C position next year.

And you never know, a hail mary commitment from Seantrel Henderson would shore up that LT spot.

I just love the size that we are assembling.

BTW, I also think that Josh Allen is going to play D as well as Epping. Just a hunch.

I did forget him! My bad, Campion's got pedigree and a wrestler background, he could be our future center down the road. Agreed on SH, He'd start at LT further improving our depth.

Epping could be a space eater DT, to be honest he had a very similar style of play at DT to Beau Allen in the videos I watched. I like Olinemen with a background in defense, they tend to play mean.

Ole, thanks for the real football talk.

It has been getting pretty bad in here with all of the "will he leave us?/we should let him." talk with some of our coaches. It is just nice to talk about real actual football again and, like Comman always says, replenish that big' ol jar of hope for next year and the years forward.

I would love to have wrestling background for the interior positions where leverage, quickness, and hand speed is critical. That being said, lets start in the interior. If we have Wynn healthy, and there is no confirmation or denial I will include him as a center along with Trey Davis. I like Davis because of his quickness, leverage and wrestling background. Wynn as second team. I would have Campion as a reshirt and work him at Center. Now, Burris at one guard. I think he is a workout warrior, strong, how strong? I don't have a clue. He is a drive blocker. We need our guards to not only be able to knock a defensive tackle off the line of scrimmage, but also be quick and agile to trap. We don't seem to do it, but it is extremely effective in defeating defensive tendacies. I am questioning Matt Carufel's abilty to get under the pads of defensive tackle, stand him up and drive him. He could be too tall? Maybe Bunders or Orton could press the guards for playing time.

I would hope that the debriefing at the end of the season gave the players not only a sense of where they were but also what was expected of them.

So my first team interior starters are

Burris, Davis, Orton

Second

Bunders, Wynn, Carufel

Coach Davis you are free to use this.

good school - hard to fault a kid for wanting to play for his favorite team.

GopherBadgerMan, how can you live with yourself? Everyday must be a battle within fighting good vs evil, maroon vs cardinal, gold vs white, Summit vs Leinenkugel and rodent vs rodent.

good school - hard to fault a kid for wanting to play for his favorite team.

I actually agree with you.

Some people (despite where they live) have a certain loyalty for certain schools. You can't blame a kid for jumping at the opportunity to play for the team he grew up loving.

GopherBadgerMan, how can you live with yourself? Everyday must be a battle within fighting good vs evil, maroon vs cardinal, gold vs white, Summit vs Leinenkugel and rodent vs rodent.

Badgers aren't rodents. They are weasels.

It really fits better, don't you think?

Although not part of the 2011 class, I'm interested to hear of any reports on how Ragoo did in the Dade/Broward county all-star game coming up as well as Wright.

Did Jacques get moved to the DL?

For the most part, it seems the early recruiting reports for 2011 seem to be linemen types, Farniok, Hegarty (I don't like are chances here, unless there is some connection to the U that I don't know about), Aprahamian (again don't like are chances here, especially from that area of WI), Olson, and Windfeldt. It all starts up front!

Go Gophers!!
SK Gopher

Although not part of the 2011 class, I'm interested to hear of any reports on how Ragoo did in the Dade/Broward county all-star game coming up as well as Wright.

Did Jacques get moved to the DL?

For the most part, it seems the early recruiting reports for 2011 seem to be linemen types, Farniok, Hegarty (I don't like are chances here, unless there is some connection to the U that I don't know about), Aprahamian (again don't like are chances here, especially from that area of WI), Olson, and Windfeldt. It all starts up front!

Go Gophers!!
SK Gopher

Jacques was recruited as a DT and, as far as I know, he is still there.

There is little chance Wallace is coming here, but if for some miracle to happen that we get Nelson, then we might have a slight chance at Wallace. Maybe we should start a new thread for 2011 LB and DB?

Thanks for posting that link. I hand't noticed "all" of the OL listed. Hadn't noticed Austin Blythe from IA, we havn't offered, but what are the odds of pulling an OL out of IA, slim I suspect? Just trying to stick to the OL as the OP had requested it.

C.T. Jones, DB out of Fort Wayne, is a name to add to the Scout list. No offer yet but the Gophers have been following him pretty closely, as have other B10 schools.

I think we are coming along. Obviously, next year we need to show something to potential recruits that we are indeed an up and coming team like Coach Brewster preaches. Solid showings against USC, Ohio State, Penn State, and a win over either Iowa or Wisconsin.

Without that, I think the message gets tuned out.

All in all, I really think that most pieces are already in place except for that O-Line and with the possibility of Phillips and or Lipscomb, we could really be onto something.

Farniok's older brother committed to ISU, but apparently we were part of his top 2, I didn't know we offered, did we? It will be a battle for his little brother.

Farniok's older brother committed to ISU, but apparently we were part of his top 2, I didn't know we offered, did we?

We did not. Iowa St. is his only I-A offer, I believe. He'll be decent, but he's not big enough to be a highly-sought-after recruit. His brother, on the other hand, is already huge, and is still only a junior.

Top Bottom