Let's hope Nebraska beats Wisconsin

Ha! Good one.

I heard that this was the year of their demise.

Nope. Hope Nebraska loses every game for the rest of time.
Right now there is a chance Minnesota can become a clear top 2 program in the west.

Let’s cheer for the gophers to go 7-1 or 6-2 and for Iowa and Nebraska to lose every game. And for Wisconsin to lose every game they aren’t playing Nebraska or Iowa.

Right now there is a chance Minnesota can become a clear top 2 program in the west.

Let’s cheer for the gophers to go 7-1 or 6-2 and for Iowa and Nebraska to lose every game. And for Wisconsin to lose every game they aren’t playing Nebraska or Iowa.
I don't want to depend on Nebraska to put the Gophers ahead of Wisconsin. First, lets prove on the field that we can beat all of the West except Wisconsin. I'm tired of losing to Iowa.

What helps MN more? This is a hard one. I believe NE will lose a few games this year regardless. If MN wins the rest of their games there is no point regardless. However, in a Covid year I would like WI to have another loss to give us some wiggle room. If that other loss come from NE so be it. Go Huskers I guess?

With every QB Wisc has having Covid, and then being out, if we win west that will be excuse for that reason especially if we don’t beat Wisconsin at the end. I’d rather Wisc be full strength and we beat them that way

This is 100.0% correct.

Could not have stated it better.

There are finite number of wins to go around in the West.

Not enough for Neb, Iowa, Wisc, and the Gophers to all be high-level programs. Let alone Purdue or NW.

I guess at the end of the day, if Iowa sinks down in football for a decade and Nebraska slides into the #3 spot in the West ... it wouldn't be the end of the world. But I'd prefer Neb as no higher than #4. Would prefer an actual research university get it, if all other things are equal.

IA had a very rough summer with former Black players condemning IA for endemic racism.
I believe the IA S&C coach was finally fired because of those complaints.

I'm not getting all the Nebraska hate. The only time I will ever want Wisconsin to beat them (or anyone for that matter) is if they stink and the team they are playing is fighting with us for the top of the west. Until that happens I will be the biggest fans of the worst humans on the planet so long as they are beating Wisconsin.

I think I would sooner WI win than Nebraska start to believe they are becoming a top 10 team again.

I'm not getting all the Nebraska hate. The only time I will ever want Wisconsin to beat them (or anyone for that matter) is if they stink and the team they are playing is fighting with us for the top of the west. Until that happens I will be the biggest fans of the worst humans on the planet so long as they are beating Wisconsin.
More practical than hatred -- we (Gophers fans) can't allow Nebraska to rise up as a top program in the West, if we want to be the team that rises up. As I said, there just aren't enough wins to go around.

Look at the East, they have the three elite programs and then Mich St has been high level the last decade ... but usually don't have more than three ranked teams in the division. They beat each other up too much for that.

I think it is an age thing. If you are old enough to have suffered through the 84 to 13 season or other earlier poundings by the Huskers you might hate them too. It goes way back for me, back then Wisconsin was irrelevant so I don't hate the Badgers as much as the Huskers. In my view the Badgers have a good program that was built up in front of my eyes, this team emerged out of mediocrity and was built by Barry Alvarez. I don't like the Badgers but they don't have the status or the equity that the Huskers had either. I mean how many National Titles do the Badgers have?
:horse:

As far as the Huskers they were a true Blue Blood and now they are not but their fans act as if they are still in that national conversation. This is a short version of why I hate the Huskers every day of the year since 1973.

I see what you both are saying. However, its Wisconsin...they are dominating the west right now. Nebraska (even with a win against a depleted Wisconsin team) isn't going to dominate the west. They're no longer a blue blood just like we're no longer a blue blood after our success throughout the early-mid 1900's.

If we want to be top dog we need to worry about the other top dogs. I doubt Michigan or Ohio St pulls for the other to beat Indiana because they don't want Indiana to rise to the top of the east.

If we smoke Maryland and Nebraska beats Wisconsin we might be tied for 1st!

Nebraska has great fans. I ran into two sets of random Nebraska fans in Florida and they were so excited for the Gophers. Great folks.

However, the Neb media and like all folks on the internet.. .their internet fans are kinda horrible. Scott isn't very likable either.

They act like they deserve to have a program at the same level of Alabama.

Because ... 1990's, or some stupid reason like that.

More practical than hatred -- we (Gophers fans) can't allow Nebraska to rise up as a top program in the West, if we want to be the team that rises up. As I said, there just aren't enough wins to go around.

Look at the East, they have the three elite programs and then Mich St has been high level the last decade ... but usually don't have more than three ranked teams in the division. They beat each other up too much for that.

Nebraska rising has nothing to do with the U rising IMO. Our program has to take care of business. It doesn't matter what other programs do. Get good recruits(in process), install a system(yep), gain traction in the mind of fans(yes). Win game you need to, to make you relevant(close, but not there yet)

Take care of yourselves and when Nebraska shows up on the schedule, do with them what we've done the last few meetings and that is kick their arse.

Also, I don't think we have to worry about Nebraska beating Wisconsin. All they have to do is hand the ball off and they win.

Stinky, terrible Badgers - 31, Nebraska - 14.

Rooting against Wisconsin is never a wrong answer.

Agreed. If the Gophers needed Wisconsin to beat Nebraska (or anyone else) to clinch a Big West Championship, it would still be incredibly difficult to root for the Badgers.

Maybe I could mess the colors up on my TV and somehow trick my brain into pulling for Bucky.

badgers will end up in the conference championship some how, some way. Some things change and some things stay the same.

First step, get this game and maybe the next one canceled.

Does Wisconsin even need a QB to beat Nebraska?

Seriously. What if they just snapped it to whomever their RB this year is? Ran some high school single wing stuff? Called 80 running plays?

The Gophers starting team didn't let Nebraska score last year. Minnesota almost beat Wisconsin in 2005 at the Dome with Laurence Maroney basically playing QB (it was actually a Tony Mortensen start), until the infamous fumbled punt snap in the end zone started 14 years of pain. Minnesota also defeated San Jose State while not letting their only NFL QB since the merger pass. It can work.

Agreed. If the Gophers needed Wisconsin to beat Nebraska (or anyone else) to clinch a Big West Championship, it would still be incredibly difficult to root for the Badgers.

Maybe I could mess the colors up on my TV and somehow trick my brain into pulling for Bucky.
An exception could be made then, because the Gophers winning the Division would harm the Badgers.

You're making this harder than it needs to be.

Wisconsin and Iowa are the established top dogs in the West. Sorry, that is fact. You don't have to like it, neither do I.

There is room for another top team. But not two more top teams.

Would you rather have that team be the Gophers or Nebraska?

This is not a trick question. I know my answer.

Nebraska is my second favorite team this week!

Nebraska is my second favorite team this week!
Ok, this is your answer then. You'd rather have Nebraska become the 3rd established powerhouse in the West, instead of the Gophers.

That is unfortunate.

Top Bottom