Let's hope Nebraska beats Wisconsin

Ok, this is your answer then. You'd rather have Nebraska become the 3rd established powerhouse in the West, instead of the Gophers.

That is unfortunate.
Your forgetting who my favorite team is...…...Duh

Nope. Hope Nebraska loses every game for the rest of time.
Right now there is a chance Minnesota can become a clear top 2 program in the west.

Let’s cheer for the gophers to go 7-1 or 6-2 and for Iowa and Nebraska to lose every game. And for Wisconsin to lose every game they aren’t playing Nebraska or Iowa.
Nebraska besting Wisconsin is absolutely 100% the more preferable outcome. Nebraska right now is not a true threat to win the west and Wisconsin is easily the favorite. We need all the help we can get and we need Wisconsin to slip up as much as possible because it doesn’t happen that often and we don’t beat them that often.

Nebraska will lose some games this year and I’m not worried about them so winning this game wouldn’t help them nearly as much as it would hurt Wisconsin.

Nebraska besting Wisconsin is absolutely 100% the more preferable outcome. Nebraska right now is not a true threat to win the west and Wisconsin is easily the favorite. We need all the help we can get and we need Wisconsin to slip up as much as possible because it doesn’t happen that often and we don’t beat them that often.

Nebraska will lose some games this year and I’m not worried about them so winning this game wouldn’t help them nearly as much as it would hurt Wisconsin.
Bolded: HMMMM. Let's think a little bit here. So you're saying Wisconsin is the favorite to win. And you're saying Nebraska is not the favorite.

But then Nebraska beats Wisconsin, head to head, in a competition. Hmmmmmmm .... I wonder if we could draw any conclusions from that???

Bolded: HMMMM. Let's think a little bit here. So you're saying Wisconsin is the favorite to win. And you're saying Nebraska is not the favorite.

But then Nebraska beats Wisconsin, head to head, in a competition. Hmmmmmmm .... I wonder if we could draw any conclusions from that???
If Nebraska manages to beat Wisconsin’s 4th string QB, I would likely still consider Wisconsin our primary challenger for the West with them getting Mertz back in time for Michigan and I would still expect Nebraska to lose more games even if they win this weekend.

You're making this harder than it needs to be.

Wisconsin and Iowa are the established top dogs in the West. Sorry, that is fact. You don't have to like it, neither do I.

There is room for another top team. But not two more top teams.

Would you rather have that team be the Gophers or Nebraska?

This is not a trick question. I know my answer.

Actually, I don't think I can make it any simpler. I don't root for Wisconsin, end of story.

Actually, I don't think I can make it any simpler. I don't root for Wisconsin, end of story.
Even to the detriment of the Gophers football program.

If given the choice between: Wisconsin wins this game and it results in Nebraska fading to mediocrity for the next decade -OR- Nebraska winning this game and that sparking a resurgence to title contention ..... I know which one I'm picking.

If Nebraska manages to beat Wisconsin’s 4th string QB, I would likely still consider Wisconsin our primary challenger for the West with them getting Mertz back in time for Michigan and I would still expect Nebraska to lose more games even if they win this weekend.
I'm not willing to take that gamble.

For your scenario to work out, it still leads to Wisconsin being the top contender to win the West. In my scenario .... they're also still the top contender to win the West.

So what is gained? You get your jolly's in seeing Wisconsin lose a road game in Lincoln ..... at the risk of ... possibly reigniting the Nebraska program to prominence??

Nope. No way I take that risk.

Even to the detriment of the Gophers football program.

If given the choice between: Wisconsin wins this game and it results in Nebraska fading to mediocrity for the next decade -OR- Nebraska winning this game and that sparking a resurgence to title contention ..... I know which one I'm picking.

You are making this way harder than it used to be. It's 1 game.

All the rest is speculation. Maybe Wisconsin smokes Nebraska, they fire their coach and the next hire is a Dabo Swinney, Nick Saban & Tom Osborne, rolled into 1, and they start ripping off titles left and right.

OR

Nebraska beats Wisconsin but falls flat on their face vs Northwestern and Penn St the following 2 weeks.

Tomorrow is never promised. I root for Wisconsin to lose.

I'm not willing to take that gamble.

For your scenario to work out, it still leads to Wisconsin being the top contender to win the West. In my scenario .... they're also still the top contender to win the West.

So what is gained? You get your jolly's in seeing Wisconsin lose a road game in Lincoln ..... at the risk of ... possibly reigniting the Nebraska program to prominence??

Nope. No way I take that risk.
This is all a moot conversation because the game has been cancelled but one win is not all of a sudden going to ignite the Nebraska program into prominence. It’s going to take a lot more than that. If Nebraska eventually manages to become top dog in the west then I will root for them to lose but until that happens, I will root against Iowa and Wisconsin, the current top dogs and our biggest challengers to fall.

If Wisconsin loses this game, it gives the gophers a better chance at winning the west. It gives Wisconsin less margin for error. If we lose two more games and Wisconsin loses one more then it wouldn’t matter who wins the axe as they’d still win the division. If Wisconsin loses loses two more and we lose one more than than the axe game would determine the West. If we don’t lose any other Games andWisconsin loses 3 then we would be ahead of them in the division and it wouldn’t matter if we lost the axe.

That advantage with Wisconsin losing is much more tangible and quantifiable for us than what it would mean for Nebraska if they won.

This is all a moot conversation because the game has been cancelled but one win is not all of a sudden going to ignite the Nebraska program into prominence. It’s going to take a lot more than that. If Nebraska eventually manages to become top dog in the west then I will root for them to lose but until that happens, I will root against Iowa and Wisconsin, the current top dogs and our biggest challengers to fall.

If Wisconsin loses this game, it gives the gophers a better chance at winning the west. It gives Wisconsin less margin for error. If we lose two more games and Wisconsin loses one more then it wouldn’t matter who wins the axe as they’d still win the division. If Wisconsin loses loses two more and we lose one more than than the axe game would determine the West. If we don’t lose any other Games andWisconsin loses 3 then we would be ahead of them in the division and it wouldn’t matter if we lost the axe.

That advantage with Wisconsin losing is much more tangible and quantifiable for us than what it would mean for Nebraska if they won.
Bolded: you were willing to bet that, I was not. Oh well

In the words of the great editorialist Emily Litella, "Never mind".

Top Bottom