Lets Be Real

I don't expect miracles - I just want to see some signs of progress and forward momentum.

This program needs something good to happen- like signing a significant recruit - not another prospect who might be good in 2 years. They need someone - either one of the recruits already signed, or a late Spring signing - to come in here and exceed expectations while becoming an immediate contributor. I want to be able to turn on BTN or ESPN and heard people talking about how that FR or JUCO at the U of M is one of the surprise players in the conference.

That is what this program needs. And, I submit it needs a dose of honesty from the Coach and the AD. If Pitino honestly believes next year is a rebuilding year, and they really don't expect to be a tournament team, then come out and say so. Kill's first few years, he was very smart at the way he lowered expectations for the team, making them look like over-achievers when they had some success. I think Pitino needs to sit down with Kill and have a long talk about dealing with the public, dealing with the media, and managing expectations.
I'm just curious - do you have season tickets to both?
I don't have football season tickets, just BB. There's no way that I saw anywhere that Pitino talked this team up unrealistically. No matter what a coach says, people will say its coach speak. Kill followed a big talker and it was an easy option and role reversal - no one wanted to hear bulls!t anymore. It can't imagine what would happen if Pitino followed Kill's lead. Everyone knew that Brewster was a failed hire - no tap dancing around that. Pitino can't insult the previous coach by that kind of talk, nor is it appropriate. And when Pitino talk did about managing expectations people freaked out and said he was avoiding responsibility.

And everyone is looking for the recruit who comes in and exceeds expectations. A surprise player by definition is impossible to predict. And Matthieu did it last year, which naturally made Pitino look like a genius.
What you're really saying is you can't stand too much disappointment too many years in a row, and you'd prefer to be forewarned. And you want to be surprised by something good and the bad should have a prior warning.

Honestly, we all feel this way, and its really irrational and funny!

And you want to be surprised by something good and the bad should have a prior warning.

I think most Gopher fans are conditioned to feel this way, at least the surprise by the something good part. I certainly am conditioned to expect the worst- no lead is safe in basketball or football.

I'm just curious - do you have season tickets to both?
I don't have football season tickets, just BB. There's no way that I saw anywhere that Pitino talked this team up unrealistically. No matter what a coach says, people will say its coach speak. Kill followed a big talker and it was an easy option and role reversal - no one wanted to hear bulls!t anymore. It can't imagine what would happen if Pitino followed Kill's lead. Everyone knew that Brewster was a failed hire - no tap dancing around that. Pitino can't insult the previous coach by that kind of talk, nor is it appropriate. And when Pitino talk did about managing expectations people freaked out and said he was avoiding responsibility.

And everyone is looking for the recruit who comes in and exceeds expectations. A surprise player by definition is impossible to predict. And Matthieu did it last year, which naturally made Pitino look like a genius.
What you're really saying is you can't stand too much disappointment too many years in a row, and you'd prefer to be forewarned. And you want to be surprised by something good and the bad should have a prior warning.

Honestly, we all feel this way, and its really irrational and funny!

Here's the deal with coach speak: If the coach is winning -nobody cares what he says, it's all good. If the coach is losing, nothing he says is good enough. If the coach is not optimistic he sucks as a salesperson and he has too low of aspirations. If the coach is optimistic, he's a lying used car salesman, who doesn't know X's and O's.

Here's the deal with coach speak: If the coach is winning -nobody cares what he says, it's all good. If the coach is losing, nothing he says is good enough. If the coach is not optimistic he sucks as a salesperson and he has too low of aspirations. If the coach is optimistic, he's a lying used car salesman, who doesn't know X's and O's.

I like that...it says it all...AND...I think it can be easily flow-charted! :cool:

Maybe I am just overly-simplistic, but I want some proof in my pudding next year. As Gopher fans (and Minnesota sports fans in general), how many times have we been told about all of the reasons to be optimistic for "next year", and "next year" turns into a big disappointment? The signs of us improving will be better results in the B1G standings and the post-season, not the number of stars a recruit has or how flashy a player looks losing a game.

Top Bottom