Let the music play - new Concert Reviews/Experiences

I have found getting there maybe about 5-10 minutes before the first band going on is about the perfect time to arrive at 1st Ave. Get a beverage and grab a spot, back by the soundboard is the best for sound.

I am also vertically challenged, so standing stage left by the rail works out really well for me as far as sight line. Standing on the rail in the upper deck is also as good as it gets, but usually have to arrive before the doors open for that real estate. I'm too old for that now. I saw lots of great shows before the turn of the century up there.

Yeah, for Manchester Orchestra I went with a good friend of mine who's a huge fan as well as a few other people. We were there at open and stood front left of the stage. Awesome place to watch from if you can get there. But yeah....I think if you got a group and were able to get second floor railing....that would be really good too. Just for running to the bar or the bathroom without having to push through big crowds would be a major positive. As my concert going has picked up a ton in the past year, I'm sure I'll figure these sorts of things out. Deftones at The Armory next. Don't need to be right up next to the stage. Failure at the Turf Club in July. That place looks tiny based on the pictures. Definitely planning to be in line early there.

Yeah, for Manchester Orchestra I went with a good friend of mine who's a huge fan as well as a few other people. We were there at open and stood front left of the stage. Awesome place to watch from if you can get there. But yeah....I think if you got a group and were able to get second floor railing....that would be really good too. Just for running to the bar or the bathroom without having to push through big crowds would be a major positive. As my concert going has picked up a ton in the past year, I'm sure I'll figure these sorts of things out. Deftones at The Armory next. Don't need to be right up next to the stage. Failure at the Turf Club in July. That place looks tiny based on the pictures. Definitely planning to be in line early there.
The Turf Club can be tough if it is a sold-out show. Otherwise, it is a fun place to see a band. Make sure to hit the clown bar downstairs if it is open. Better place to get a drink before the show starts imo.

The Turf Club can be tough if it is a sold-out show. Otherwise, it is a fun place to see a band. Make sure to hit the clown bar downstairs if it is open. Better place to get a drink before the show starts imo.

I would be very surprised if it weren't sold out.

Agree, completely. Also usually shorter bathroom line down there as well.

Post riot remodel last year gave it a really nice facelift.

OK, I could go on and on about this past weekend's Mid West Music Fest (Winona), but the one thing I want to emphasize is how much Swashbuckler's show was everything I thought it would be and more. Winona has such a vibrant arts scene, and Swashbuckler is just the latest. Like I'd mentioned in that other thread, they've been around for a few years, but they just released an album in March, so hopefully this is the beginning of something big for them. I get that Sci-Fi Psychedelia isn't for everyone, but man, what a great band, and what an ambitious, intricate recording. I've been listening to it over and over and just marveling at it.

Here they are playing at Ed's No Name Bar a couple months ago.

I wrote some stuff over in the 90s thread on this show. In short, I thought it was sort of satisfying and sort of not. Great songs that are still in my head today, so that's a good measure, but I do feel it was a half-hearted and overall unsatisfying performance. But like Ope says, it was way better than nothing, and I hadn't seen them play in upwards of 20 years. I certainly don't regret going.

The set list was pretty great. I could stand to have heard I'll Do It Anyway and Being Around, but that's being too picky. It was a crowd-pleasing bunch of songs.
I saw that 06 show and thought he pretty much mailed it in vocally. I just wish he cared more. I still wished I went last night though..

Turns out the Lemonheads show we should have gone to was in Zagreb, Croatia. This setlist is insane. I don't think I have ever seen Dando clock past 90 minutes. This had to be well over 2 hours. They played the full album It's a Shame About Ray, and then essentially another full show that included tons of my favorite covers and some solo stuff. I'm jealous for the Europeans getting to enjoy this. Maybe I can find a way to get to Munich this weekend...

May 3, at the Vintage Industrial Bar (from setlist.com)

1. Rockin' Stroll
  2. Confetti
  3. It's a Shame About Ray
  4. Rudderless
  5. My Drug Buddy
  6. The Turnpike Down
  7. Bit Part
  8. Alison's Starting to Happen
  9. Hannah & Gabi
  10. Kitchen
  11. Ceiling Fan in My Spoon
  12. Frank Mills
    (Galt MacDermot cover)
    Encore:
  13. Hard Drive
    (Evan Dando song)
  14. Frying Pan
    (Victoria Williams cover)
  15. Being Around
  16. I'm Set Free
    (The Velvet Underground cover)
  17. Into Your Arms
  18. The Outdoor Type
    (Smudge cover)
  19. My Idea
    (Chris Brokaw cover)
  20. Round Here
    (Florida Georgia Line cover)
  21. Hospital
  22. Tenderfoot
    (Smudge cover)
  23. Style
  24. Speed of the Sound of Loneliness
    (John Prine cover)
  25. Why Do You Do This to Yourself?
    (Evan Dando song)
  26. Abandoned
    (Lucinda Williams cover)
  27. Down About It
  28. The Great Big No
    Encore 2:
  29. Break Me
  30. Stove
  31. Dawn Can't Decide
  32. If I Could Talk I'd Tell You
  33. Ride With Me
  34. Streets of Baltimore
    (Tompall and The Glaser Brothers cover)

Turns out the Lemonheads show we should have gone to was in Zagreb, Croatia. This setlist is insane. I don't think I have ever seen Dando clock past 90 minutes. This had to be well over 2 hours. They played the full album It's a Shame About Ray, and then essentially another full show that included tons of my favorite covers and some solo stuff. I'm jealous for the Europeans getting to enjoy this. Maybe I can find a way to get to Munich this weekend...

May 3, at the Vintage Industrial Bar (from setlist.com)

1. Rockin' Stroll
  2. Confetti
  3. It's a Shame About Ray
  4. Rudderless
  5. My Drug Buddy
  6. The Turnpike Down
  7. Bit Part
  8. Alison's Starting to Happen
  9. Hannah & Gabi
  10. Kitchen
  11. Ceiling Fan in My Spoon
  12. Frank Mills
    (Galt MacDermot cover)
    Encore:
  13. Hard Drive
    (Evan Dando song)
  14. Frying Pan
    (Victoria Williams cover)
  15. Being Around
  16. I'm Set Free
    (The Velvet Underground cover)
  17. Into Your Arms
  18. The Outdoor Type
    (Smudge cover)
  19. My Idea
    (Chris Brokaw cover)
  20. Round Here
    (Florida Georgia Line cover)
  21. Hospital
  22. Tenderfoot
    (Smudge cover)
  23. Style
  24. Speed of the Sound of Loneliness
    (John Prine cover)
  25. Why Do You Do This to Yourself?
    (Evan Dando song)
  26. Abandoned
    (Lucinda Williams cover)
  27. Down About It
  28. The Great Big No
    Encore 2:
  29. Break Me
  30. Stove
  31. Dawn Can't Decide
  32. If I Could Talk I'd Tell You
  33. Ride With Me
  34. Streets of Baltimore
    (Tompall and The Glaser Brothers cover)
Wow, "I'm Set Free" was a cool cover choice. Never saw him do #32 (one of my favorites).

Wow, "I'm Set Free" was a cool cover choice. Never saw him do #32 (one of my favorites).
I know I have seen If I Could Talk at least a couple times. For sure the most recent show at the Fine Line and also at the Varsity (circa '07-'08).

I was headed to the airport this afternoon for a flight to Vegas to see Pearl Jam at the MGM on Friday. Got the word Jeff Ament tested positive for COVID joining his rhythm section cohort Matt Cameron on the shelf. Tonight at Sacramento and Vegas cancelled.

Now I'm looking for tee times at my local golf course this weekend.

Got tickets a while back for Dead and Company at Wrigley Field in June. Never been to a concert there before. Excited!!

Got tickets a while back for Dead and Company at Wrigley Field in June. Never been to a concert there before. Excited!!
Great place to see a show. I saw both Pearl Jam shows they played there in 2016. 2nd night was on the field, pretty awestruck setting.

Just discovered these guys. Chris Slusarenko from Guided by Voices and Boston Spaceships, Victor Krummenacher of Camper Von Beethove, John Moen from the Decemberists along with a couple guys who've backed Stephen Malkmus and Elliot Smith. If you need a fix of Teenage Fanclub/REM jangle pop they'll be in the Entry June 23rd. Peter Buck works with them some but will not be there. :)

I know I have seen If I Could Talk at least a couple times. For sure the most recent show at the Fine Line and also at the Varsity (circa '07-'08).
Based on your signature, I should ask: are you seeing American Aquarium at the Fine Line in September?

Based on your signature, I should ask: are you seeing American Aquarium at the Fine Line in September?
The signature line is actually from Wilco's song I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, for which it's probably not a surprise from those that have seen my posts is my favorite current band/artist.

I am sure you are aware that the band American Aquarium derived it from the same song (per wiki), and I am only very casually familiar with them from hearing a few tracks on the Current. Based on what I have heard and read, I would probably like them.

That leads to something I have been thinking a lot lately. While I still go to 10-20 shows a year and buy lots of music, virtually all of it is from bands that were around pre-2000 but just still are active. About the only exception of a "new" artist this century I have become a fan of is Jason Isbell.

Why is that? I am come up with a lot of reasons:
- Radio has really changed
- By the time I was 30 (also circa 2000) perhaps I just maxed out the capacity (mostly with regards to time) to seek new artists
- Time in clubs greatly reduced
- Magazine No Depression ceased printed publication eventually

I'm sure I am missing out, and would like to expand my horizons.

Wrigley turned out to be a great venue for The Dead. Lots of bars/restaurants near by. Good sound. Easy lines. Made friends with the security lady, so we got onto the field (if only for a moment). Great time! 💀🐻

This critic is apparently not a fan of the Glastonbury Festival. Pretty humorous. I wonder if she would have had a good time at Woodstock.

This critic is apparently not a fan of the Glastonbury Festival. Pretty humorous. I wonder if she would have had a good time at Woodstock.

She seems fun for sure.

'Failure' at the Turf Club on Saturday. Very much looking forward to this show.

'Failure' at the Turf Club on Saturday. Very much looking forward to this show.

Awesome concert. I've never seen guys cycle through guitars that quickly from song to song. Makes a bit more sense considering that Ken Andrews and Greg Edwards don't stick to either lead guitar or bass. They flip back and forth depending on the song.

Anyways....they sounded fantastic. I'm going to have to spring for VIP the next time they come around.

Son Volt at the Fine Line last night was quite delightful.

Great show. Farrar has put together a really tight band, best since he had the original line-up, in my opinion. Lots of songs from the new album which is great, but he did not play what I think is the best song Living in the USA.

From Trace they did, Route, Drown, Tear Stained Eye and Windfall. Others from the 90s were Chickamauga, Picking Up the Signal, Driving the View and Medicine Hat. I think it's been more than 15 years since I have seen that one performed by a full band.

Still not very chatty, but so be it. All business, but he did appear very appreciative of the folks that turned out given the crappy weather, Covid and world affairs.
I made the trip over the weekend to the west Chicago suburb of Berwyn to see Son Volt headline Night 1 of American Festival. It's a great event, 4 days on 3 stages, 2 indoors and a mainstage tent in between the 2 bars. Beers was relatively cheap ($5-$6) and a nearby bar-b-que joint provided the tasty concessions. I would guess the attendance was somewhere in the 1,200 - 1,500 neighborhood.

It was essentially the same set list as I saw in Chicago, but I am good with that. No downturn at all and the band seems even tighter. I have not been that close to the stage since I saw the first version of SV at the Troubadour back in 1996.

Of the other artists I saw, I would highly recommend checking out SG Goodman (sort of like a Lucinda Williams protege) and Jackie Jensen (sort of like a female Prince protege). They can both bring it. I also saw the last half of the Waco Brothers, who rocked.

Huge bonus, walking distance from my cousin's house. I don't think it will be my last American Festival.

I went to the 7th Street Entry last night for the first time in I don't know how long. The stage now completely faces the soundboard. Maybe it's been that way for a decade, I just didn't remember it that way.

The occasion was an Iffy reunion with Run Westy Run opening as well as yet a 3rd Kirk Johnson fronted band, 5 Cent Delivery. I thought Iffy was pretty impressive, playing on what I am sure was limited rehearsal and being dormant since 2015. They played all the songs I wanted to hear from their only album, Biota Banda, plus several they had already worked out for a sophomore album that was never meant to be.

Great to see Tommy Merkl on bass who was also part of Grant Hart's Nova Mob. Still animated as ever.

I went to the 7th Street Entry last night for the first time in I don't know how long. The stage now completely faces the soundboard. Maybe it's been that way for a decade, I just didn't remember it that way.

The occasion was an Iffy reunion with Run Westy Run opening as well as yet a 3rd Kirk Johnson fronted band, 5 Cent Delivery. I thought Iffy was pretty impressive, playing on what I am sure was limited rehearsal and being dormant since 2015. They played all the songs I wanted to hear from their only album, Biota Banda, plus several they had already worked out for a sophomore album that was never meant to be.

Great to see Tommy Merkl on bass who was also part of Grant Hart's Nova Mob. Still animated as ever.
I was planning on going till I got word it sold out. Stage has been that way for a long time fyi..

I was planning on going till I got word it sold out. Stage has been that way for a long time fyi..
Bummer on the sell out. I was lucky my brother jumped on it. It didn't start to fill up until about mid-way through the Westys portion of the show, by Iffy it was packed. Kirk joked that it was a tough act to follow. ;)

Regarding the stage, they must have changed that by the mid '00s but for whatever reason my mind had the lead vocals still being on the corner. I remember Hart asking those of us in front to back up a few feet because he feared the monitors would fall off and crush our feet. Seems like they fixed that issue.

Got an e-mail alert today. Tour dates set for Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band, including March 5th at the X in St. Paul. only other 'close' show is March 7 in Milwaukee. have not seen any suggestion of what ticket prices will be.....

if you want a chance to buy tickets, they recommend that you sign up for the Ticketmaster Verified Fan process. That gets you into what is basically a lottery. selected people will receive an access code the night before tickets go on sale, and can use the code to purchase tickets.

this is all part of the process to try and keep bots from grabbing up blocks of tickets. more info available on Springsteen's website.

I'm signing up to be 'verified.' we'll see how things work out.

Got an e-mail alert today. Tour dates set for Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band, including March 5th at the X in St. Paul. only other 'close' show is March 7 in Milwaukee. have not seen any suggestion of what ticket prices will be.....

if you want a chance to buy tickets, they recommend that you sign up for the Ticketmaster Verified Fan process. That gets you into what is basically a lottery. selected people will receive an access code the night before tickets go on sale, and can use the code to purchase tickets.

this is all part of the process to try and keep bots from grabbing up blocks of tickets. more info available on Springsteen's website.

KC is not a bad drive either, especially from the TC. Nice arena in a fun part of town.

Very cool. I've been skipping Run Westy Run since I saw them at Mortimer's and they were dicking around bringing people out of the audience to cover Bad Company. Have to give them another shot soon. Also, yeah, pretty sure Merkl moved to Europe years ago so unless he's moved back then must not have been tough to practice.

Very cool. I've been skipping Run Westy Run since I saw them at Mortimer's and they were dicking around bringing people out of the audience to cover Bad Company. Have to give them another shot soon. Also, yeah, pretty sure Merkl moved to Europe years ago so unless he's moved back then must not have been tough to practice.

With the focus on Iffy last week, the Westy portion was a bit loose at the Entry but not to the degree as what you saw at Mortimer's. I have seen them twice at the Turf and another time in the Main Room since they reformed, all of those I would say were pretty tight/classic gigs (by their standards), not disappointing at all.

If they play again around or on Christmas as they have been, I would say they are worth checking out.

Last edited:

My buddy and I did the Verified fan process for the St Paul show. We logged on 10 minutes prior as suggested and he got through the virtual waiting line first at about 10:10 AM. We got Club Level seats for roughly $310 each.

Satisfied. This will only be the the 3rd time I have seen him, 2nd with the E Street Band.

If we had waited until my turn arrived (about 10:30 AM) we would have been either relegated to the nosebleeds for $200+ or had to pay close to 4 figures for Floor/Near stage (Ticketmaster Platinum, whatever that is).

Public OnSale starts at 3 PM.

Last edited:

My buddy and I did the Verified fan process for the St Paul show. We logged on 10 minutes prior as suggested and he got through the virtual waiting line first at about 10:10 AM. We got Club Level seats for roughly $310 each.

Satisfied. This will only be the the 3rd time I have seen him, 2nd with the E Street Band.

If we had waited until my turn arrived (about 10:30 AM) we would have been either relegated to the nosebleeds for $200+ or had to pay close to 4 figures for Floor/Near stage (Ticketmaster Platinum, whatever that is).

Public OnSale starts at 3 PM.

Yup. "interesting" process.
get a text message the night before with website info and an access code.
day of sale - Waiting room on website opens 10 minutes before sale.
at 10am, put in Queue - showing "2000+ ahead of you"
watch Queue run down. Then moved to page to enter access code.
that took you to the page to select your seats.

the main floor seats in front of the stage were going for up to $2000. from what I could see, the lower bowl seats were all in the $275 range. there were tickets for $150 in the upper bowl (nosebleeds).

I wound up in the top row of the lower bowl with good sightlines to the stage. $317 after Ticketmaster adds on all of its extras.

Also had to get the Ticketmaster app on my phone. all tickets are digital.

tried to count. I've seen Springsteen at least 10 times. that includes one solo show and one show with the 'other' band in '92 on the Human Touch/Lucky Town tour. Over the years, I have seen shows in Chicago, Cleveland and that mecca of the rock world, Fargo, ND.

Yup. "interesting" process.
get a text message the night before with website info and an access code.
day of sale - Waiting room on website opens 10 minutes before sale.
at 10am, put in Queue - showing "2000+ ahead of you"
watch Queue run down. Then moved to page to enter access code.
that took you to the page to select your seats.

the main floor seats in front of the stage were going for up to $2000. from what I could see, the lower bowl seats were all in the $275 range. there were tickets for $150 in the upper bowl (nosebleeds).

I wound up in the top row of the lower bowl with good sightlines to the stage. $317 after Ticketmaster adds on all of its extras.

Also had to get the Ticketmaster app on my phone. all tickets are digital.

tried to count. I've seen Springsteen at least 10 times. that includes one solo show and one show with the 'other' band in '92 on the Human Touch/Lucky Town tour. Over the years, I have seen shows in Chicago, Cleveland and that mecca of the rock world, Fargo, ND.

Of the half dozen big shows I have seen at the X, I think it sounds better if you are in the top half of the Lower Bowl/Club.

I will be curious to see how the price fluctuates leading up to the gig.

Should be a fun night.

Last edited:

Top Bottom