Let the music play - new Concert Reviews/Experiences

The Ledge Amphitheater is a cool venue. Something that we were kind of missing here in MN. Got to see 311 play one of the opening shows there this past fall.
Mankato has a good one, too. I think the Turnpike Troubadors and Old 97's and a couple other bands played a show there a few years ago...was it maybe 2018?

Wow.

I am still sitting on Pearl Jam tickets in Nashville from April 2020, no make-up date announced yet, so I am thinking that will probably be 2023 as well. Hopefully.
Pearl Jam back on for this year. Nashville rescheduled for Sept 16. Quick turnaround for me with the Gophers hosting Colorado that weekend, but I will make it happen.

Went to Manchester Orchestra last Tuesday at First Avenue. Honestly....first time there. Seems silly. Anyways....a LOT smaller than I expected it to be on the inside. But MO was great...and their two openers.....Michiganders and Foxing were both surprisingly good as well. Since I went with some people who are HUGE fans....we were sure to get up close. And the guys from MO were great. Always nice when they sound like they do on the albums after all the production goes into it.

cVAl2t2.jpg

Went to Manchester Orchestra last Tuesday at First Avenue. Honestly....first time there. Seems silly. Anyways....a LOT smaller than I expected it to be on the inside. But MO was great...and their two openers.....Michiganders and Foxing were both surprisingly good as well. Since I went with some people who are HUGE fans....we were sure to get up close. And the guys from MO were great. Always nice when they sound like they do on the albums after all the production goes into it.

cVAl2t2.jpg
Just got tickets this morning for Wolf Alice (they never stop touring) at the Fillmore. Never been there before.

Then Tool at the Target Center was this past Sunday. A band called 'The Acid Helps' opened for them and neither me nor my buddy were all that impressed. But Tool was incredible. They put on a show. When you listen to their ten minute songs with three to four minute instrumental sections....you might wonder why. When you see the work that goes into the live shows....the instrumental sections are far easier to appreciate. Definitely 1/2 with the Smashing Pumpkins a few years back as the best concert I've ever been to.

Also had me and my friend wondering how they could pack up from one show and have it set up the next day in a new city. Because the stage and everything that goes along with it are extensive. For the first few songs, they had this cloth veil surrounding the stage that they were somehow projecting onto. Never seen anything like it. Then they pulled that back and had an amazing light show to go along with the concert. After intermission, they played 'Culling Voices' off their newest album, 'Fear Inoculum' and for the first few minutes of the song....it snowed metallic glitter from the rafters throughout the Target Center. Just an incredible sight. And Danny Carey was rocking a Garnett Wolves jersey with the matching swingman shorts.

fsXXsdB.jpg

qIySrxC.jpg

Last edited:

Just got tickets this morning for Wolf Alice (they never stop touring) at the Fillmore. Never been there before.

My concert year just got two shows deeper today. Bought tickets for this (thanks for the heads up, tikited). The Fillmore is a really nice venue. Saw Rival Sons there this past fall. A buddy of mine also had an extra ticket to the Korn/Chevelle show next Saturday....so I've got that now too.

cVAl2t2.jpg
Michigander is awesome.

Saw Guided by Voices last night at the Fine Line. Robert Pollard was very spry for a 64 year old.

The Finel Line was...fine as always, but they do have the best bartender in Mpls imo.

Saw Guided by Voices last night at the Fine Line. Robert Pollard was very spry for a 64 year old.

The Finel Line was...fine as always, but they do have the best bartender in Mpls imo.
Oh man I wish I could have gone to that. Been having some serious back trouble though. I have seen gbv a half dozen times plus the Boston spaceships once so I don't feel too bad. Still would love to see them another time or two.

FYI, Wolf Alice is scheduled to be Fallon Wednesday night.

Was pissed when I saw the tour schedule....because it looked like they were going to dance around Minnesota. But Alice in Chains/Bush/Breaking Benjamin is going to be playing the grandstand at the State Fair on Thursday August 25th. Very excited for this....as this is an absolutely loaded ticket. Obviously AIC & Bush are grunge/alt rock HOFers....and I've never seen either live.....but Breaking Benjamin also happens to be one of my favorite bands to come out of the post grunge/nu metal wave of the early 00s. One of the others....Chevelle.....I get to see in a few days as they open for Korn.

If anyone out there has tickets for Golden Smog at 1st Ave tonight, you're in for a real treat. Show #1 was fantastic. I'm thrilled to be going to both.

Golden Smog Nite #2 was just as enjoyable as Nite #1. The mixed it up enough to not feel like it was a carbon copy. Just so much fun, worth the 15 year wait since Tweedy played with them and 18 years since I them all together.

Going through it in my head, I think it has to be 150 shows (+/- 5 either way) that I have seen the members play in their various other projects which includes:

Uncle Tupelo
Wilco
Jeff Tweedy solo
Tweedy (& friends)
Soul Asylum
Pirner & Murphy duo
The Scarlet Goodbye (Murphy)
The Jayhawks
Gary Louris solo
Louris & Olson duo
Geraldine Fibbers (Jessy Greene)
Run Westy Run
Iffy
Kraig Johnson & the Program

Sort of staggering. I do think the sum is better than the parts whenever they get together.

Saw Spiritualized at the Ogden in Denver Monday night. Great show. Great venue. It was the perfect place for Spiritualized.

Saw Spiritualized at the Ogden in Denver Monday night. Great show. Great venue. It was the perfect place for Spiritualized.
Awesome. Have always wanted to visit the Ogden...and I still will.

Awesome. Have always wanted to visit the Ogden...and I still will.
I love how they divide the floor with three railings. Kept people from cramming together and offered places to set your drink on. It was a pretty full show and I didn't get jostled once.

Going to see Wolf Alice again April 8th in des moines Iowa. 3 1/2 hour drive. Some venue called Whoolys. I think it is the last show of their tour. It will be almost six months since I saw them in Denver and you in Mpls. I bet they can't wait to be done.
Good show last night in Des Moines Iowa. Really fun town by the way. Venue was pretty cool. Crowded and loud. Band seemed happy. Regular guitar player out but his replacement was solid. Not sure what the story is there. Ellie looked amazing. Her voice could use a break I'm afraid though. They play live constantly.

Just completed my seven days, three concerts in three different states journey last night at First Ave. Saw the Brian Jonestown Massacre. It was o.k.. Just glad to be back at First Ave after what seems like two years. Still my favorite place to see a band.

Just wanted to give a heads up about a show tomorrow night. I know we've discussed Rich Matson here before and tomorrow is his birthday and he's doing a show with his band the North Stars at the hook and ladder. I've got a super busy day but I'm going to try and get down there for it.

This wasn't exactly a music only venue, but I saw the comic Joe Pera at the Back Room at Colectivo in Milwaukee last night. They have bands play there as well. The set-up for comedy was folding chairs (fine with me) but I could tell it would be a really cool place to see music. I'd go back for that for sure.

This wasn't exactly a music only venue, but I saw the comic Joe Pera at the Back Room at Colectivo in Milwaukee last night. They have bands play there as well. The set-up for comedy was folding chairs (fine with me) but I could tell it would be a really cool place to see music. I'd go back for that for sure.

'Joe Pera Talks With You' is such a good show. That had to have been an interesting show.

I saw 'Royal Blood' at First Avenue this past Friday. Super cool what those guys do as a two-man band. And what a set list. With only three (very good) albums....they played nothing but jam after jam.

After never seeing a show at First Avenue until about a couple of months ago.....I've now been there twice in short time. I get the history behind First Ave.....but do people still think that it's a very good venue? I saw a show at The Fillmore this past fall....and it blows First Ave away, imo.

'Joe Pera Talks With You' is such a good show. That had to have been an interesting show.

I saw 'Royal Blood' at First Avenue this past Friday. Super cool what those guys do as a two-man band. And what a set list. With only three (very good) albums....they played nothing but jam after jam.

After never seeing a show at First Avenue until about a couple of months ago.....I've now been there twice in short time. I get the history behind First Ave.....but do people still think that it's a very good venue? I saw a show at The Fillmore this past fall....and it blows First Ave away, imo.
I was so excited to see Joe live... A bit of a let-down to be honest. Way too much crowd interaction and hardly any jokes. "Joe Pera Talks With You" is my favorite show the last five years.

First Ave has been a constant for me since forever. I still think it is a great venue. Haven't been to the Fillmore yet. The Fillmore has the advantage of being new still I would guess.

Yes, I think 1st Ave is still awesome.

Haven't been to the Mpls Fillmore yet, though the one in San Francisco is phenomenal.

Haven't been to the Mpls Fillmore yet, though the one in San Francisco is phenomenal.
Yep. The San Fran Fillmore is pretty cool.

I was so excited to see Joe live... A bit of a let-down to be honest. Way too much crowd interaction and hardly any jokes. "Joe Pera Talks With You" is my favorite show the last five years.

First Ave has been a constant for me since forever. I still think it is a great venue. Haven't been to the Fillmore yet. The Fillmore has the advantage of being new still I would guess.

Fair. I guess I don't have the nostalgia for it that many people in Minnesota do. The Fillmore has a lot of the qualities of First Ave. Big difference is that the amenities are newer and nicer and the viewing space is larger (I think). Again...I have only been there once...and it was prior to visiting First Ave...so it will be interesting to have a better comparison when I am back there this fall. I'd expect 'Wolf Alice' to pack the place. For 'Rival Sons' (underappreciated band) the place wasn't filled to the brim....so it was a pretty comfortable viewing experience.

Last edited:

Fair. I guess I don't have the nostalgia for it that many people in Minnesota do. The Fillmore has a lot of the qualities of First Ave. Big difference is that the amenities are newer and nicer and the viewing space is larger (I think). Again...I have only been there once...and it was prior to visiting First Ave...so it will be interesting to have a better comparison when I am back there this fall.
No doubt nostalgia plays a role in how much it's revered, similar to how Gopher fans feel about the Barn. Also it just sounds fantastic. It's always been great, but their recent updates have made it even better.

Additionally, the musicians themselves hold the venue in such high esteem, I am convinced it leads better performances. They appreciate the nostalgia as much as the fans, are treated well by the staff by all accounts and know how great it sounds. It usually ranks at or near the top when I have seen national polls for clubs of it's size by artists.

Case in point, Spoon had to cancel their first of 2 shows last week at the Palace in St Paul due to the singer Britt Daniel falling ill (must have not been COVID). They jumped at the chance to make up the gig at 1st Ave on Sunday, driving all the way back from Milwaukee after their Saturday performance. The band's comments show just how much they love the place.

I'm just a casual fan of Spoon, but had a I known beforehand I would have tried to go. They put on a good set when I saw them at Ohana Fest this past fall.

No doubt nostalgia plays a role in how much it's revered, similar to how Gopher fans feel about the Barn. Also it just sounds fantastic. It's always been great, but their recent updates have made it even better.

Additionally, the musicians themselves hold the venue in such high esteem, I am convinced it leads better performances. They appreciate the nostalgia as much as the fans, are treated well by the staff by all accounts and know how great it sounds. It usually ranks at or near the top when I have seen national polls for clubs of it's size by artists.

Case in point, Spoon had to cancel their first of 2 shows last week at the Palace in St Paul due to the singer Britt Daniel falling ill (must have not been COVID). They jumped at the chance to make up the gig at 1st Ave on Sunday, driving all the way back from Milwaukee after their Saturday performance. The band's comments show just how much they love the place.

I'm just a casual fan of Spoon, but had a I known beforehand I would have tried to go. They put on a good set when I saw them at Ohana Fest this past fall.

No doubt that both shows I saw sounded great. And it does seem like a number of the acts that play there could play bigger venues if they wanted. Case in point....Royal Blood. I am just going to make a point of getting there early the next time I see a show there. Was busy and didn't show up until halfway through the opener and basically had limited view for more than half the concert. That's my fault, not First Avenues. But imo....the best venue in the cities is The Armory....hands down.

No doubt that both shows I saw sounded great. And it does seem like a number of the acts that play there could play bigger venues if they wanted. Case in point....Royal Blood. I am just going to make a point of getting there early the next time I see a show there. Was busy and didn't show up until halfway through the opener and basically had limited view for more than half the concert. That's my fault, not First Avenues. But imo....the best venue in the cities is The Armory....hands down.
I have found getting there maybe about 5-10 minutes before the first band going on is about the perfect time to arrive at 1st Ave. Get a beverage and grab a spot, back by the soundboard is the best for sound.

I am also vertically challenged, so standing stage left by the rail works out really well for me as far as sight line. Standing on the rail in the upper deck is also as good as it gets, but usually have to arrive before the doors open for that real estate. I'm too old for that now. I saw lots of great shows before the turn of the century up there.

Top Bottom