Leidner is practicing today!

Killjoy

Reaction score
By Joe Christensen

Gophers coach Jerry Kill said Mitch Leidner will get reps in practice Tuesay, testing his left knee injury, but added that the team needs to get backup quarterback Chris Streveler ready, too.

Kill praised Leidner’s toughness and said he was moving around Sunday. Kill said Tuesday’s practice will help give the team an indicator whether Leidner will be ready for Saturday’s game at TCU. Kill did say they’re going to limit Leidner’s reps and be careful.

Leidner’s injury is to his medial collateral ligament, not his anterior cruciate ligament.

Maybe this is the beginning of the end of the most recent GopherHole meltdown.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/blogs/Gridiron_Gold.html

this is very bad news..
to a TCU fan of course.

this is very bad news..
to a TCU fan of course.

Many on the TCU boards are thinking they win by a lot regardless of who is slinging the pigskin. I am thinking this is going to be a great game.

By Joe Christensen

Gophers coach Jerry Kill said Mitch Leidner will get reps in practice Tuesay, testing his left knee injury, but added that the team needs to get backup quarterback Chris Streveler ready, too.

Kill praised Leidner’s toughness and said he was moving around Sunday. Kill said Tuesday’s practice will help give the team an indicator whether Leidner will be ready for Saturday’s game at TCU. Kill did say they’re going to limit Leidner’s reps and be careful.

Leidner’s injury is to his medial collateral ligament, not his anterior cruciate ligament.

The tricky part with Leidner's status being a little up in the air is that it will affect the reps for the backups in practice. If Leidner is out, Perra gets all the 2nd team reps while Streveler works with the ones. If Leidner is a possibility for the game then it will probably be Leidner getting the bulk of the first team reps with Streveler working with the 2's meaning there will not be many reps left for Perra to get ready in case he is needed this weekend. Obviously we hope that Perra doesn't need to see the field but if Streveler goes in and runs as much as he has in his limited action to date there is a good chance the #3 guy will have to be ready to go.

Best case is Mitch is feeling good enough to go and still be mobile enough to move around and do some running.

Many on the TCU boards are thinking they win by a lot regardless of who is slinging the pigskin. I am thinking this is going to be a great game.

Honestly, both teams should probably feel confident going into this. I think it's gonna end up being a good game as well, hopefully we can pull it out. We'll need Leidner, or whoever is passing, to hit on just a few balls down the field I think. The opportunities have been there, they just gotta hit 'em. They do that and I'm pretty confident we'll get enough running and defense to gut out a W.

All people think of is passing, passing, passing.

Pound the rock down the field and Kill 'em.

Honestly, both teams should probably feel confident going into this. I think it's gonna end up being a good game as well, hopefully we can pull it out. We'll need Leidner, or whoever is passing, to hit on just a few balls down the field I think. The opportunities have been there, they just gotta hit 'em. They do that and I'm pretty confident we'll get enough running and defense to gut out a W.

Agree, which is why I booked this trip a long time ago. Re-watching the MTSU game most attempted throws were a few inches away from being great catches for good yardage and there were open receivers. The focus of TCU to stop the run could open up man coverage for a Maye, Jones, Williams, et al. matchup for success. I also think we see more BE Jet Sweeps, and creativity to get people the ball on the edges in space to give their D something to think about then go back to good ol pound the rock football. This will not be a barn burner and in the end, to steal a line from Gary Patterson, I just hope we score one more point.

By Joe Christensen

I don't mean to get pissy and I know that it really makes no difference, but what Joe describes in the article is the lateral collateral ligament, not the medial. Again, no biggie, but I wish that the writers could get things right. It would increase my confidence in them.

I'm less worried by Leidner's MCL and more worried about Limegrover's IFG, Inferior Frontal Gyrus.

Inferior Frontal Gyrus
Creativity depends on thinking skills that rely on the use of baseline knowledge combined with innovative thinking. The interaction between the left and right inferior frontal gyri, which is the lower back portion of the frontal lobe on each side of the brain, facilitates creative thinking. Most right-handed people have intellectual skills for speaking and understanding language largely concentrated in the left inferior frontal lobe, and cognitive skills for attention control and memory concentrated in the right inferior frontal lobe.

The tricky part with Leidner's status being a little up in the air is that it will affect the reps for the backups in practice. If Leidner is out, Perra gets all the 2nd team reps while Streveler works with the ones. If Leidner is a possibility for the game then it will probably be Leidner getting the bulk of the first team reps with Streveler working with the 2's meaning there will not be many reps left for Perra to get ready in case he is needed this weekend. Obviously we hope that Perra doesn't need to see the field but if Streveler goes in and runs as much as he has in his limited action to date there is a good chance the #3 guy will have to be ready to go.

Best case is Mitch is feeling good enough to go and still be mobile enough to move around and do some running.
You don't plan a practice around getting your #3 QB reps.

I don't mean to get pissy and I know that it really makes no difference, but what Joe describes in the article is the lateral collateral ligament, not the medial. Again, no biggie, but I wish that the writers could get things right. It would increase my confidence in them.

I believe he used "outside" as in not the interior of the joint where the ACL and PCL are.

The player who should be running the Jet Sweep is Donovahn Jones. He needs to be featured doing this. It needs to be on tape.

Not Fruechte, not Edwards.

I'm less worried by Leidner's MCL and more worried about Limegrover's IFG, Inferior Frontal Gyrus.

Inferior Frontal Gyrus
Creativity depends on thinking skills that rely on the use of baseline knowledge combined with innovative thinking. The interaction between the left and right inferior frontal gyri, which is the lower back portion of the frontal lobe on each side of the brain, facilitates creative thinking. Most right-handed people have intellectual skills for speaking and understanding language largely concentrated in the left inferior frontal lobe, and cognitive skills for attention control and memory concentrated in the right inferior frontal lobe.

Why is it so hard for people to realize we ran a vanilla offense on purpose the first two games? Was Limegrover not creative in the Nebraska game last year? Indiana? Penn State? Sure, he has had some bad gameplans in the past. Last year's Iowa game is a good example. He has proven that he can come up with some pretty creative stuff in "big" games. If Saturday ends up looking like the Iowa game last year then feel free to bash away, but I have a feeling we'll see quite a few different looks than what we've seen against EIU and MTSU.

If only he would run more then he wouldn't have gotten hurt in the pocket. Stupid passing qb's!

The player who should be running the Jet Sweep is Donovahn Jones. He needs to be featured doing this. It needs to be on tape.

Not Fruechte, not Edwards.

I partially agree/disagree....

I would like to see Maye, Jones and Edwards run the jet sweep.

However, I agree it should NEVER be Fruechte. Our last two
jet sweep plays (bowl game/MTSU) went to him, he dropped the
ball on both and we never went back to it again.. no bueno.

I like some gold in the road uniform - lacking in recent years - so as to keep the ID, "Golden Gophers." So - white jerseys, gold pants and the new gold helmet.

Anybody know how it went for Mitch yesterday?

If the Gophers knew ML7 wasn't going to play, but didn't want to reveal that to TCU, wouldn't they have said exactly what they said yesterday? Smoke screen? I'm not sayin, just sayin

If the Gophers knew ML7 wasn't going to play, but didn't want to reveal that to TCU, wouldn't they have said exactly what they said yesterday? Smoke screen? I'm not sayin, just sayin

Trying to figure out if I am just missing the sarcasm but there would be no reason at all to play games with whether or not Mitch was going to play because it will have zero impact on how TCU prepares for the game.

I have had a hard time figuring out the Perra obsession that some have on this board to begin with but yeah I agree it is pretty weak to be hoping guys on your own team get hurt to clear the way for a backup.

He's billed as a potential passer. People are obsessed with potential and passing. Especially in this market which frankly went brain rotten after the 98' viking season.
The staff passes when they need to, or when they take a shot.
People need to get used to the fact that currently we are going to run the ball up the middle a ton. If that works, why change?

No sarcasm. I used to think as you said (might even have posted as such), but I now think that if ML7 isn't 100% moving/running, the offense he will run will be quite a bit difference than if CS5 is in there. CS5 will run a lot of read option, ML7 will not.

Your probably right although TCU would be foolish not to be preparing for a read option look given what we have done in the past. The coaches know the QB run will be more a part of the offense when we need it to be based on what we have shown in the past.

He's billed as a potential passer. People are obsessed with potential and passing. Especially in this market which frankly went brain rotten after the 98' viking season.
The staff passes when they need to, or when they take a shot.
People need to get used to the fact that currently we are going to run the ball up the middle a ton. If that works, why change?

There are a couple of folks on here who are obsessed, most could care less about Perra right now other than he's our number three and hopefully we never need to use him this year.

If by "works" you mean win 7 maybe 8 games a year and get stomped by MSU, Iowa, Wisconsin then yes by all means we should continue to play afraid in the passing game. With more balance, we have a much higher ceiling.

Trying to figure out if I am just missing the sarcasm but there would be no reason at all to play games with whether or not Mitch was going to play because it will have zero impact on how TCU prepares for the game.

I would expect a defensive-minded coach would bring a lot of heat at a inexperienced red-shirt freshman, but not as much if ML starts. I think it does have an impact.

Top Bottom