Leevon Perry...

Nebraska article was just saying that Big Ten schools have higher admission standards for undergrads - which is true. Football recruits are allowed to have those requirements waived at the admissions office.

Why take Brown at his word? He probably meant one thing and just generically said he wouldn't qualify at Alabama. Or perhaps whoever wrote the article misinterpreted him. PS - the U of AL is not any kind of strict academic institution, as many here have pointed out about the SEC. So why assume the opposite?

Same with Ward. Maybe he assumed that was the reason he didn't get an offer, but actually that wasn't the reason.

For Crawford, there are tons of possibilities as to why he may not have been eligible at the U that have nothing to do with meeting the NCAA clearninghouse. My argument is that if a Juco player meets the minimum requirements, then the basis of GPA/test scores will not cause his admission to be denied. That has not changed.

Ok...we'll take it point by point. By the way, if you are really just trolling and trying to be annoying, it has been a pantherhawesque caliber performance and hats off to you. If you really are this dense, then please don't procreate. I'll pay for your vasectomy.

Ok...now, lets look at the Nebraska article, here is the key part:
"The NCAA has its own set of Division I ELIGIBILITY requirements for incoming freshmen — namely 16 core course credits and a passing grade on a sliding scale that compares GPA and SAT/ACT scores.

Most schools, including Nebraska and its soon-to-be conference partners to the east, ARE A LITTLE MORE PICKY"

They are not talking about the student population as a whole, when they are referring to eligibility, they are speaking of the student athlete's requirements to be able to be eligible to play sports. It isn't that complicated. You see, this section of the article reads like this "there is a minimum requirement (ahem, the clearinghouse), but most schools and its soon-be-conference partners to the east have higher than the minimum". This shouldn't be that difficult!

Point #2:
Deandre Brown situation...
He was offered by Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Miami, Mississippi St., Tennessee, Florida, and LSU. He got his test scores back and then Southern Miss came out of nowhere and landed him. It would have been like if Seantrel Henderson got his test scores back and decided to go to Akron. I'm not taking Deandre Brown's word for it. If anything Brown would have said the opposite, that he qualified but he wanted to go to Southern Miss.
DeAndre Brown never visited Southern Miss (officially), they weren't on anyone's radar as far as landing him, he got his test scores back in late january, visited Southern Miss and committed a week later. But you're right, maybe all of the SEC schools just "cooled on him" at the same time and that he became interested in Conference USA football over LSU, Bama, or Florida after a week. OR maybe it was something else....
As far as Alabama not being that good of a school, it's ok. However, the SEC schools are better schools than their smaller conference brethren. For instance, the SEC as a conference has slightly elevated requirements as well.

Same with Ward.

Ok...we'll take it point by point. By the way, if you are really just trolling and trying to be annoying, it has been a pantherhawesque caliber performance and hats off to you. If you really are this dense, then please don't procreate. I'll pay for your vasectomy.

Ok...now, lets look at the Nebraska article, here is the key part:
"The NCAA has its own set of Division I ELIGIBILITY requirements for incoming freshmen — namely 16 core course credits and a passing grade on a sliding scale that compares GPA and SAT/ACT scores.

Most schools, including Nebraska and its soon-to-be conference partners to the east, ARE A LITTLE MORE PICKY"

They are not talking about the student population as a whole, when they are referring to eligibility, they are speaking of the student athlete's requirements to be able to be eligible to play sports. It isn't that complicated. You see, this section of the article reads like this "there is a minimum requirement (ahem, the clearinghouse), but most schools and its soon-be-conference partners to the east have higher than the minimum". This shouldn't be that difficult!

Point #2:
Deandre Brown situation...
He was offered by Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Miami, Mississippi St., Tennessee, Florida, and LSU. He got his test scores back and then Southern Miss came out of nowhere and landed him. It would have been like if Seantrel Henderson got his test scores back and decided to go to Akron. I'm not taking Deandre Brown's word for it. If anything Brown would have said the opposite, that he qualified but he wanted to go to Southern Miss.
DeAndre Brown never visited Southern Miss (officially), they weren't on anyone's radar as far as landing him, he got his test scores back in late january, visited Southern Miss and committed a week later. But you're right, maybe all of the SEC schools just "cooled on him" at the same time and that he became interested in Conference USA football over LSU, Bama, or Florida after a week. OR maybe it was something else....
As far as Alabama not being that good of a school, it's ok. However, the SEC schools are better schools than their smaller conference brethren. For instance, the SEC as a conference has slightly elevated requirements as well.

Same with Ward.

I think you're reading the NE article how you want to see it. I read that and it says that the incoming freshman admissions standards are higher than the NCAA requirements. I already agreed to that, but the thing to realize is that any football recruit can have those standards waived so long as he meets the NCAA standards on GPA and test score. Every school with the exception of schools in the Ivy League and Patriot League have this ability.

For Brown/Ward - you're just restating your opinion. I know what you want (desperately) to be the case: his GPA/test scores were low enough that no SEC school would admit him but he still met the NCAA minimum. I just don't buy it. Not when you have Houston Nutt signing like 50 kids a year and hoping half of them don't meet the clearinghouse, so he can stuff them in some prep school - like his own personal minor league farm team. Don't buy it for a second. If he met the NCAA minimum and the SEC coach still wanted him - he's admitted to the school. Done deal.

How about this: perhaps there was a chance that his test scores might not have met the NCAA minimum - therefore no SEC schools wanted to take a risk on him and all offered other players. But his scores came back above the minimum and So Miss had a scholarship open. That's not so hard, is it?

I think you're reading the NE article how you want to see it. I read that and it says that the incoming freshman admissions standards are higher than the NCAA requirements. I already agreed to that, but the thing to realize is that any football recruit can have those standards waived so long as he meets the NCAA standards on GPA and test score. Every school with the exception of schools in the Ivy League and Patriot League have this ability.

For Brown/Ward - you're just restating your opinion. I know what you want (desperately) to be the case: his GPA/test scores were low enough that no SEC school would admit him but he still met the NCAA minimum. I just don't buy it. Not when you have Houston Nutt signing like 50 kids a year and hoping half of them don't meet the clearinghouse, so he can stuff them in some prep school - like his own personal minor league farm team. Don't buy it for a second. If he met the NCAA minimum and the SEC coach still wanted him - he's admitted to the school. Done deal.

How about this: perhaps there was a chance that his test scores might not have met the NCAA minimum - therefore no SEC schools wanted to take a risk on him and all offered other players. But his scores came back above the minimum and So Miss had a scholarship open. That's not so hard, is it?
So you are criticizing him for seeing things the way he wants to see them and stating his opinions, when that is exactly what you are doing? Lol.

So you are criticizing him for seeing things the way he wants to see them and stating his opinions, when that is exactly what you are doing? Lol.

Any fan message board is just a place for a bunch of people who have no say in how anything goes to have their opinions heard.

Any fan message board is just a place for a bunch of people who have no say in how anything goes to have their opinions heard.

I realize that, but you are criticizing someone for doing exactly what you think he is meant to do on this site.

#1: About the Nebraska article. I'm sorry, but there is really no other way to read that paragraph. I realize that you are married to this idea that it doesn't exist. However, the pertinent section reads as follows:
"The NCAA has its own set of Division I eligibility requirements for incoming freshmen — namely 16 core course credits and a passing grade on a sliding scale that compares GPA and SAT/ACT scores.
Most schools, including Nebraska and its soon-to-be conference partners to the east, are a little more picky."

OK...now read this slowly. The NCAA rules for eligibility obviously only apply to athletes right? You get that, right? The first "A" in "NCAA" stands for "Athletic". You got that part right?

So we are in agreement that the first paragraph reads: The NCAA has its own set of Division I eligibility requirements......, and that is talking about FOR ATHLETES. Correct? You're still here right? Your opinion isn't that the NCAA is promulgating rules for non-athletes are you? You seem fixated that this section is about the general student body and not about athletes, so I need to know where your logic went astray.

Ok, then the VERY NEXT sentence, is that the Big 10 chooses to be a little more picky about that. There is not a single logical inference that you could make that this section is talking about the general student body population. It's illogical. To be honest with you, I don't really care one way or the other. I would have loved to have Marcus Williams on our football team, it just wasn't possible.

#2: You are absolutely entitled to your opinion that these heavily recruited kids like Trabis Ward, James Green and Deandre Brown would be getting recruited heavily by BCS programs (never even visiting non-BCS schools) with multiple offers, get to their test scores back, and then have an epiphony and simply choose to go to non-BCS schools at the EXACT time they get their tests back and the EXACT time those BCS schools cooled on them as well.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/tag/_/name/james-green

The pertinent section: "James Green didn't qualify academically and had to change his commitment to Toledo".

BisonGopher - I'm at a loss on this as to how any logical-thinking person can still come at this with the bone-headed point of view you have chosen to.

First of all, I tell you what I know about admissions and athletes at the U. You flat out tell me you don't believe me. Fine. No real reason to trust me, I admit that.

So, you ask me and others for examples of athletes who met NCAA minimums but couldn't play at the U. We give you no fewer than ten names. Then, you claim they all must be lying, that they all must have somehow magically qualified at MN but just decided to go to participate in athletics at other schools for reasons other than academics.

Then, you misread a clear article talking about NCAA ATHLETES, not general student population at Nebraska. You do know that the NCAA has no authority over general student population and their admission requirements, nor would the general student population be worried about eligibility, which is the word the article used, right?

Then, you have a letter from Jim Delaney specifically stating that the Big Ten will not lower its admission standards to match the SEC to simply keep up in football. He is lying, too?

I'm not sure what else we can do here. Maybe you should just call the U of M admission staff and flat out ask them. Call at 1-800-752-1000. They can probably tell you. But, you'd likely accuse them of lying, too.

I'm thinking you must be jerking our chain here, but we can't be sure.

Top Bottom