Leach To Maryland!

Total desperation hire. Leach won't fit at all. Would have never fit here either. Oh he would have come here but would have been a total nightmare ending in a firing. Just my take. We did far better as it turns out.

why wouldnt he have worked here? and how do you know we did far better? all the leach haters now get to see who brings their prgram back faster...leach or kill?

i love how many say things like "would have never fit here" maybe the dumbest thing to be said unless your name is ms cleo!

kill is an ok hire, he can coach and has a solid track record. i would say leach's track record is better but thats my opinion. i hope kill has success before leach or anyone else because the tc media will rip the U apart if leach makes a bowl game before us or a bcs game before us.

time will tell but to say we did better than maryland...too soon!

all the leach haters now get to see who brings their prgram back faster...leach or kill?

Maryland this year: 8-4 with QB winning ACC freshman of the year and a core of strong returning players
Minnesota this year: 3-9 with some players we think will play better next year

If Leach is hired at Maryland, I have no doubt he will succeed. But we will never know how he would have done in Minnesota, because he wasn't hired here. Jerry Kill was.

Leach is a scary pick. I am very interested in seeing how he does and I think he will do quite well, actually. I am just very glad that he didn't get picked up by another Big Ten school because I think he is a good coach and I am glad we won't have to face off against him.

With all that said, I am glad to have Coach Kill here and if he can recruit head to head with the big boys he has a chance to do very well here. I think he is the best pure football coach we have had here since Lou Holtz.

I am one of those that wanted Leach here...he is a high risk, high reward guy. Let's be honest, we hired a guy in Brewster that was high risk low reward. Leach would have made a splash, he woul dhave instantly gained national attention, national recognition in locker rooms and households...
With all that said, I am a Kill supporter. He is not the flashy guy, but he is one I believe will be in it for the long haul. He is not a self promoter, he is not a me first guy, he is program guy. In the long run, Kill is good hire.

Maryland should be ashamed of itself for shoving the Fridge out the door like this after a very good season and all he's done for them. They deserve whatever happens to them and I hope he blows up in their faces. They had two excellent coaches at the helm in football and men's bb and they've done nothing but mistreat them. I'm surprised Gary Williams hasn't told them where to shove it yet, but he's too old to get another job.

Leach Says He Hasn't Been Contacted

Listened to Leach on Sirius at lunch time. He said he hadn't been contacted yet by Maryland.

Maryland should be ashamed of itself for shoving the Fridge out the door like this after a very good season and all he's done for them. They deserve whatever happens to them and I hope he blows up in their faces. They had two excellent coaches at the helm in football and men's bb and they've done nothing but mistreat them. I'm surprised Gary Williams hasn't told them where to shove it yet, but he's too old to get another job.

Maryland shouldn't be ashamed. Debbie Yow should be ashamed. As AD, she had it out for both Williams and Friedgen for no good reason.

My wife has her M.A. from MD and attended grad school from 2000-2002, so we follow the programs pretty closely. Yow made an unbelievable, and regrettable, decision in hiring Franklin as the "coach-in-waiting." It never caught on with the MD, VA, and PA high school players and really undercut Fridge. Furthermore, it was an albatross around the athletic department's neck. They were obligated to pay Franklin a cool $1M if he wasn't the head coach by January 1, 2011. (I think that was the cut-off, but if not it is close.) When Franklin took the Vandy job, it freed up $ to buy-out Fridge.

Fridge had some good early years and a decent year this year, but the program never caught fire in the key recruiting areas. He was well-liked by the players, the alumni, and many of the coaches, but he never really could compete in recruiting with Beamer, Paterno, and (shockingly) Zook. They also overbuilt the program following the 2002 (?) Orange Bowl season. Byrd Stadium is poorly designed and Yow seemed to rush to cash-in on an up-and-coming program. The job got much harder when VT, Miami, and BC joined the conference and immediately became three of the top four football programs in the conference.

I think Fridge is still popular and he'll be forever beloved for rebuilding a moribund program. However, it's time to move on and the new AD had the right to buy him out and bring in a new coach.

Frankly, Leach would be the perfect fit. MD is about 2 miles from the DC border and a good program would generate all sorts of local and national attention. He is going to have easy access to PTI (filmed in downtown DC), can catch up with Mel Kiper whenever he wants (Baltimore's finest export other than Natty Boh), and can chill with the blue bloods at Congressional. With the terrible state of the Redskins, he'll probably be the most popular football coach in town.

Maryland shouldn't be ashamed. Debbie Yow should be ashamed. As AD, she had it out for both Williams and Friedgen for no good reason.

My wife has her M.A. from MD and attended grad school from 2000-2002, so we follow the programs pretty closely. Yow made an unbelievable, and regrettable, decision in hiring Franklin as the "coach-in-waiting." It never caught on with the MD, VA, and PA high school players and really undercut Fridge. Furthermore, it was an albatross around the athletic department's neck. They were obligated to pay Franklin a cool $1M if he wasn't the head coach by January 1, 2011. (I think that was the cut-off, but if not it is close.) When Franklin took the Vandy job, it freed up $ to buy-out Fridge.

Fridge had some good early years and a decent year this year, but the program never caught fire in the key recruiting areas. He was well-liked by the players, the alumni, and many of the coaches, but he never really could compete in recruiting with Beamer, Paterno, and (shockingly) Zook. They also overbuilt the program following the 2002 (?) Orange Bowl season. Byrd Stadium is poorly designed and Yow seemed to rush to cash-in on an up-and-coming program. The job got much harder when VT, Miami, and BC joined the conference and immediately became three of the top four football programs in the conference.

I think Fridge is still popular and he'll be forever beloved for rebuilding a moribund program. However, it's time to move on and the new AD had the right to buy him out and bring in a new coach.

Frankly, Leach would be the perfect fit. MD is about 2 miles from the DC border and a good program would generate all sorts of local and national attention. He is going to have easy access to PTI (filmed in downtown DC), can catch up with Mel Kiper whenever he wants (Baltimore's finest export other than Natty Boh), and can chill with the blue bloods at Congressional. With the terrible state of the Redskins, he'll probably be the most popular football coach in town.

IIRC, isn't Yow out as AD though? I realize Fridge may never have gotten them to the Promised Land, but the Orange Bowl is pretty good and they were one win from the ACC Championship game this year. They may be making the same mistake as the Gophers did with Mason, only even less justified as Mason never got us to the BCS.

If they get Leach, at least it's a calculated gamble. Otherwise, they've made a mistake, IMO. And I still think Shanahan will the most popular coach in town, at least for one more season. DC has no real college football loyalty, so I suppose I see where Leach would help sway the undecided away from UVa and VT.

IIRC, isn't Yow out as AD though? I realize Fridge may never have gotten them to the Promised Land, but the Orange Bowl is pretty good and they were one win from the ACC Championship game this year. They may be making the same mistake as the Gophers did with Mason, only even less justified as Mason never got us to the BCS.

If they get Leach, at least it's a calculated gamble. Otherwise, they've made a mistake, IMO. And I still think Shanahan will the most popular coach in town, at least for one more season. DC has no real college football loyalty, so I suppose I see where Leach would help sway the undecided away from UVa and VT.

Yes, Yow left last year for NC State and Williams, alumni (Esiason and Plank in particular), and Fridge were thrilled. Yow made Maturi look like the most competent AD in history. She mishandled situation after situation, including an aborted attempt to oust Williams a few years back. She was awful.

I think the new AD is Kevin Anderson and I'm not sure about his background. I do know that he wasn't beholden to Yow, which was a good thing.

Fair point about the dangers of dropping Fridge too early. He is the ACC Coach of the Year and but for an idiotic collapse at the end of the FSU game could have finished second in the ACC. However the program started to languish the last few years. He was lucky to win the Navy game to start the season. He couldn't get over the hump against some mediocre ACC teams (redundant, I know).

In the end, it is a calculated gamble. I hope it pays off, but the football coach has to understand that it is a basketball school first, football second. Then there is the uphill battle to overtake VT and PSU as the dominant college football programs in the area. UVa or DSU (Dumb Scissors University - see the logo) has largely disappeared from the scene.

It is time for a few of you to let go of your love affair with Leach!

Yes, he has proven that he can coach and win, but there was obviously some other issues. Suing your former employer and the media does not impress too many AD's. If you were running your own business would you hire someone like that who also won't follow your direction? There could be many confidential issues that we will never know, so please stop claiming that it was an obvious mistake not to hire the guy.

Coach Kill will fit in very well here at the U and will make us proud for decades to come.

You guys crack me up. Leach hasn't been contacted, but he's the
leading candidate at Md.

He's not getting hired for 2011, maybe not even 2012...

I found it interesting in reading ESPN that Leach would be a good fit at Maryland because of his ties to Under Armour. Baltimore is the home of Under Armour. Maryland could be the East coast version of Oregon.

Top Bottom