Leach on 60 mins.

Pros: The man is highly intelligent (has a JD), he has proven success at a school with limitations, he still wants to coach (from all indications), he has name recognition nationally.

Cons: He locked a kid in a closet, he has mostly all southern coaching experience, he coached in a state with a wealth of talent (doesn't preclude recruiting success here, but still a factor imo).

My thoughts: I would be happy if we hired Leach, and I think Maturi's powerful desire to get someone with a great resume will make it happen if he can convince the others involved in the search to give a pass to his PR issues.

What this program needs is another offensive overhaul.

It's been almost 10 months since our last one!

(I do find the guy endlessly entertaining...)

Every single coach we might hire has some incident in their background that could be exploited to similar alarm.

No they don't. Not even close. They may have done stupid things, but it's doubtful that everyone in college football knows about them and that their names are most closely identified with those incidents. In a word association game, "Mike Leach" brings two things two mind, passing the ball and locking kids in closets. Plenty of teams pass the ball. So whether or not Leach is really a worse guy than any other coach (and he probably isn't), his past is still a huge liability.

If the issue is overblown because it was an ESPN guy's kid, why would that go away? ESPN has more ability to shape people's perceptions of a coach nationally than any other entity.

Every good player UM recruited would have a dozen coaches from more successful programs in his ear about Leach. Why would a kid leave Texas for Minnesota when he has credible people telling him Leach is a bad guy and giving him packets full of articles from the national media backing that up. We're not talking about a reputation for dirty recruiting like a Calipari, we're talking about locking a kid in a closet. Moms don't like that. No one does.

To the poster who said Purdue, Northwestern and Illinois have proven you can be successful playing Mickey Mouse football in the Big 10, thanks for proving my point. That's who you want to be?

To the poster who said Purdue, Northwestern and Illinois have proven you can be successful playing Mickey Mouse football in the Big 10, thanks for proving my point. That's who you want to be?

I'll take their multiple Rose Bowl appearances in the past 10 years over our 50 year drought.

Let's be honest. We just want to win. I don't care what offense we run to win those games.

I'll take their multiple Rose Bowl appearances in the past 10 years over our 50 year drought.

Let's be honest. We just want to win. I don't care what offense we run to win those games.

Well, if recent history is any guide you're better off with a relative unknown with midwestern connections who commits to running the football and building a program as opposed to hiring a guy from another region because he's a "name." Think Tressel and Ferentz vs Rodriguez and Zook.

No they don't. Not even close. They may have done stupid things, but it's doubtful that everyone in college football knows about them and that their names are most closely identified with those incidents. In a word association game, "Mike Leach" brings two things two mind, passing the ball and locking kids in closets. Plenty of teams pass the ball. So whether or not Leach is really a worse guy than any other coach (and he probably isn't), his past is still a huge liability.

If the issue is overblown because it was an ESPN guy's kid, why would that go away? ESPN has more ability to shape people's perceptions of a coach nationally than any other entity.

Every good player UM recruited would have a dozen coaches from more successful programs in his ear about Leach. Why would a kid leave Texas for Minnesota when he has credible people telling him Leach is a bad guy and giving him packets full of articles from the national media backing that up. We're not talking about a reputation for dirty recruiting like a Calipari, we're talking about locking a kid in a closet. Moms don't like that. No one does.

This is why I want Leach. Look how scared this Iowa/wisky troll is scared off him. Moms don't like it but Dads do.

The James thing wouldn't have been as big of issue had his father not worked for ESPN

I'm not sure there are any James backers still out there after more of the story came to light?

Re "60 Minutes"

Leach has the HC experience and intelligence, winning record of achievement, student-athlete academic focus, history of developing mid-tier talent into winners, recruiting visibility, persona to handle a cynical and defeatist local media and most importantly, is now available for a major gig on a BT, high-visibility metro stage.

Does the U administration have the balls and $$ to step-up?

If he isn't the guy for Minny, the Pres and AD better have a Tubby-like slam-dunk in their back pocket because the downside risk is an unacceptable 3-4 more years of very poor attendance at the Bank with a big decline in revenues for the AD's sports engine.

As recent attendance has demonstrated, metro fans have plenty of sports entertainment options in the Twin Cities and will not support a non-competitive D-1 football team at the level required to fund the U's expansive sports program.

I'll lock the whole damn James family in a shed if it gets Mike Leach here.

As recent attendance has demonstrated, metro fans have plenty of sports entertainment options in the Twin Cities and will not support a non-competitive D-1 football team at the level required to fund the U's expansive sports program.

There is a very good chance the Vikings will be dismantled after this season (if there is an NFL season at all). Now is the time to fill that potential football void with the biggest name possible. Next season's schedule has a lot of potential for the Gophers, and a Favre-less, sucky Vikings team could help draw a lot more attention to the U's football team, especially with a crazy pirate at the helm.

dungy has a veto-leach has no shot-move on to the next one-cease and desist the leach talk, please

Dungy doesn't have a veto. Dungy's been begged and pleaded with too long as it is.

people that know football want leach, people who know political correctness don't.

I usually don't call folks out on stuff like this, but this is probably the most arrogant thing I've seen posted here. I know football and I'm fine with Leach if he gets the job, but he's not at the top of my list.

I'd be very excited with Leach, but the rational side of me says there are serious reservations.

We can say what we want about how recruiting would go after the James incident, but the fact is we just don't know. Four years from now it could be totally forgotten and be a non-factor, or we could be saying we shouldn't have taken a chance with a guy with a question mark hanging over his head. I know if you read the national media you'll see stories talking about the fact that whether the James incident was something or nothing, he's burdened with the tag of "alleged player abuse." Whatever you think, that makes him a risk.

I've also seen several articles in the national media that warn that his suit against TT is not a good way to win friends and influenece people. They warn that he is sending the message that "fire me and I'll sue you."

Again, I'd be thrilled to see how a Leach era would play out, but I'd still rather go with a guy that doesn't carry obvious risks that may or may not harm the program.

My concern isn't in not hiring Leach specifically, but I think he needs to be the baseline of any candidate. He has a history of winning at the BCS conference level as a head coach. He graduates players. He is willing and able.

If we hire someone without at least these credentials I think it will be a disaster.

Jesus Christ, YES!

My concern isn't in not hiring Leach specifically, but I think he needs to be the baseline of any candidate. He has a history of winning at the BCS conference level as a head coach. He graduates players. He is willing and able.

If we hire someone without at least these credentials I think it will be a disaster.

This needs to be screamed and repeated and posted everywhere. Despite being simple and only 5 sentences long, it may be the most accurate thing ever posted on GopherHole.

Maybe Adam James should have been playing women's volleyball. Strong willed coach plus pussy player plus wealthy, pampering parents=recipe for disaster. I imagine he's learned his lesson. Would be fun to see Macturi running around trying to do damage control in our superior Minnesota "culture".

I'd be very excited with Leach, but the rational side of me says there are serious reservations.

We can say what we want about how recruiting would go after the James incident, but the fact is we just don't know. Four years from now it could be totally forgotten and be a non-factor, or we could be saying we shouldn't have taken a chance with a guy with a question mark hanging over his head. I know if you read the national media you'll see stories talking about the fact that whether the James incident was something or nothing, he's burdened with the tag of "alleged player abuse." Whatever you think, that makes him a risk.

I've also seen several articles in the national media that warn that his suit against TT is not a good way to win friends and influenece people. They warn that he is sending the message that "fire me and I'll sue you."

Again, I'd be thrilled to see how a Leach era would play out, but I'd still rather go with a guy that doesn't carry obvious risks that may or may not harm the program.
All valid points against Leach. How many other coaches have the " player abuse" tag in college. I can only think of a few in the modern era. Mangino is one and Bobby Knight is another. Knight is a extreme case but did okay with that tag. Leach would be followed closely by the media if he does get hired.

Yeah, that's how I feel. You don't have to hire Leach but the guy you do hire should equal or exceed Leach in his qualifications.

This needs to be screamed and repeated and posted everywhere. Despite being simple and only 5 sentences long, it may be the most accurate thing ever posted on GopherHole.

If it's not Leach, it has to be a Bellotti/Peterson type hire.

As another poster said, excellent synopsis of the situation.

The James thing doesn't mean squat to me one way or the other. I just don't want to hire a coach who views "pi$$ing all over the administration" as being in his job description. If Leach realizes it's his job to run the program within the confines of the rules and culture of the institution at which he's working, fine. But if he's just going to start picking fights with those above him from day one, count me amongst those who would prefer going in another direction.

But ruralgopher hits it out of the park. It's not so much Leach the person as the baseline qualifications he has. We have to hire someone at least at this level.

Valid comment. I started out against Leach, but the more I read about him the more I'm convinced he's the guy.

If too much should not be made of the James incident, it should not be whitewashed either. Concussions are serious matters, James was advised not to practice. Leach is not a doctor. I'm OK with hiring him, I just hope such an incident doesn't happen here, as the media here will have a feeding frenzy. If someone has a concussion and is advised not to practice, have them hit the weights, or get them on the exercise bikes, or have them study game film. Making them stand in a shed isn't wise.

With Bruininks retiring, and Maturi retiring (presumably) soon after Bruininks is replaced, this could make it easier to hire Leach. If there is an incident, it won't be on their replacements, as they would not have hired him.

There are a couple catch 22 sitautions regarding his downside.

Nobody denies Leach is an offensive genius and a very smart man. But, his detractors are convinced this "genius" also is a one trick pony that wouldn't alter anything in his system if he coached in the Big 10. He's a smart man, but also apparently too stupid to change his approach to contracts and the administration in his next job too. A slow learner I guess, albeit a very smart one. When I read his detractors, I'd swear he is lurking outside the Gopher's indoor practice facility right now in a windowless van, waiting to nab the first player he can lure into the vehicle and then into a storage shed.

Yeah, I am joking but as someone that has done a lot of interviewing... I say get him in for an interview and construct the meeting in a way that asks questions that make it hard for him to tell you what you want to hear, but do focus on those potential negatives. Gotta at least interview him. Really, if he were to be hired and exactly duplicate his run at Texas Tech, you might have a headache but at least you'd have a winning football team, players graduating, no sanctions, and a NUMBER TWO national ranking. How big would that buzz be compared to having to baby sit his ego? I guess it is difficult to say... given it is unchartered waters for the Gophers. I'm willing to dip my toes into that pool. Worst case situation you've got somebody locked in a closet and Leach would have just completely torpedoed his own Texas Tech lawsuit, and his chance at ever coaching again.

If too much should not be made of the James incident, it should not be whitewashed either. Concussions are serious matters, James was advised not to practice. Leach is not a doctor. I'm OK with hiring him, I just hope such an incident doesn't happen here, as the media here will have a feeding frenzy. If someone has a concussion and is advised not to practice, have them hit the weights, or get them on the exercise bikes, or have them study game film. Making them stand in a shed isn't wise.

With Bruininks retiring, and Maturi retiring (presumably) soon after Bruininks is replaced, this could make it easier to hire Leach. If there is an incident, it won't be on their replacements, as they would not have hired him.

Fox 9 news team report on Adam James:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZW-vTsPV5A

Top Bottom