Leach on 60 mins.

If you watch it again there's a Minnesota helmet on his cabinet when he's talking about the sword near the beginning.

"He was competitive with the heavyweights with a middleweight budget, and a fraction of the recruiting power."

Like really? That is EXACTLY what we should be looking for. How have we not announced the decision yet?

Even if he left in 3 years for another southern job, he would at least help us out a little!

Was looking for a picture of Goldy in his swashbuckling pirate costume. Found this. Kind of funny.

images

There's also this one.

pirate-squirrel.jpg

Please. Hire this man.

I actually just e-mailed Maturi.

I never thought I would, but the evidence continues to pile up. You simply cannot ignore this guy!

I actually just e-mailed Maturi.

I never thought I would, but the evidence continues to pile up. You simply cannot ignore this guy!

Smart man.. Smart man.

Rich Rod 2? Seriously? You look at Nebraska to the west, Iowa to the south and Wisconsin to the east and think this is who Minnesota needs? Look at what happened to Michigan when they abandoned physical smashmouth ball. Yeah, out of all the midwestern football powers, Minnesota should really be emulating Northwestern. OK.

Imagine Bielema or Ferentz recruiting against Leach. "I promise not to lock you in any dark rooms." Sold. Leach would end up with a roster of 2 star S&M enthusiasts who would enjoy their weekly cuckolding.

If you watch it again there's a Minnesota helmet on his cabinet when he's talking about the sword near the beginning.

I think I see a Clemson helmet as well. Could be teams he has beaten in Bowl Games.

Rich Rod 2? Seriously? You look at Nebraska to the west, Iowa to the south and Wisconsin to the east and think this is who Minnesota needs? Look at what happened to Michigan when they abandoned physical smashmouth ball. Yeah, out of all the midwestern football powers, Minnesota should really be emulating Northwestern. OK.

Imagine Bielema or Ferentz recruiting against Leach. "I promise not to lock you in any dark rooms." Sold. Leach would end up with a roster of 2 star S&M enthusiasts who would enjoy their weekly cuckolding.

Did it ever occur to you that Rich Rod isn't that great of coach, and benefited from playing in a lousy Big East? Leach won in the Big 12, against teams like Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri and Nebraska.

I'm not saying Leach is a great coach, but he has been a proven winner, in a tough conference, doing it with less than elite prospects and a mid-level budget. Basically everything Minnesota is. Also, he won against Big 12 defenses. All evidence points to him then being able to beat Big 10 defenses.

I just changed my mind from Calhoun to Leach. Air Force got killed this weekend in the Gopher Coach Speculation Bowl. I don't think Patterson would come here though.

Leach has made it clear he wants the job. I am beginning to think of that old adage, a bird in the hand...hire him before someone else does.

Leach has remained at, or near the top of my list since the beginning. Most (or maybe all) of the other options I favor are sadly probably not realistic.

Did it ever occur to you that Rich Rod isn't that great of coach, and benefited from playing in a lousy Big East? Leach won in the Big 12, against teams like Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri and Nebraska.

I'm not saying Leach is a great coach, but he has been a proven winner, in a tough conference, doing it with less than elite prospects and a mid-level budget. Basically everything Minnesota is. Also, he won against Big 12 defenses. All evidence points to him then being able to beat Big 10 defenses.

Don't forget to add that RichRod's offense right now is one of the better, electrifying offenses in the nation. What's hurting Michigan right now is their lack of defense (kinda like us). And I mean REALLY lack of defense (again, kinda like us).

So the whole 'RickRod 2.0' bit is a piss poor argument.

Don't forget to add that RichRod's offense right now is one of the better, electrifying offenses in the nation. What's hurting Michigan right now is their lack of defense (kinda like us). And I mean REALLY lack of defense (again, kinda like us).

So the whole 'RickRod 2.0' bit is a piss poor argument.

+1

Thanks, its a defense that gave up 37 to Massachusetts

people that know football want leach, people who know political correctness don't.

I'm basically sold on Leach, with some minor reservations.

The main one has already been brought up here on the 'hole: namely, how well he can succeed in recruiting since this whole Adam James thing. We can only speculate whether or not he can overcome it.

Are you a Wisky or Iowa troll?

1. Your screen name, first of all, lends you little credibility.

2. There are no guarantees, but you can't argue that Leach doesn't have an offensive identity, unlike us the past 4 years in a row.

3. There would be some negative recruiting, but I don't think that would matter much. Truth is we wouldn't be fighting Wisconsin and Iowa for many of the same recruits, at least not offensively.

4. Kids want to be on tv, and if Leach can get us back there consistently, James will be forgotten.

5. I still think he's the best choice, but no guarantee.

I'm sure plenty of Gopherhole posters would be ok with sending their son to play for Leach (if he coached Minnesota), but why would anyone else want to? Every recruit Minnesota ever went for would be hearing about Leach's history, and whether it's fair or not doesn't even matter. It would be effective.

The other point is that there's a proven formula for winning in the region. If you ask if there's a reason why other styles CAN'T win in the Big 10, I suppose not. However, when I install an appliance I read the manual rather than just fiddling around and doing my own thing, even though there's no reason that CAN'T work too.

But hey, Leach would give Minnesota 1 year of hype and 4 years of failure, so maybe the "U" is establishing its own formula.

The James thing wouldn't have been as big of issue had his father not worked for ESPN

But hey, Leach would give Minnesota 1 year of hype and 4 years of failure, so maybe the "U" is establishing its own formula.
I'm relatively new posting here but I must say I love people who know everything about who the next coach should be and who would or wouldn't succeed.

Seriously? There's only one way to win in the Big Ten? Really? That 'winning' formula only works with the right recruits. And if Iowa, Sconni, OSU, PSU, and others keep taking those recruits.. we will be left with who exactly? Eskridge? Bennett? No offense to our RBs, but they aren't the big bruising backs or the fast slashing backs that 'winning' formula kinda relies upon.

I could care less what type of offensive gameplan our next coach brings to the team, I just want to have a solid X's and O's guy. And the entire college universe considers Leach to be the Mad Scientist of football. I'd say that means he's a more than solid X's and O's guy.

I could care less what type of offensive gameplan our next coach brings to the team, I just want to have a solid X's and O's guy. And the entire college universe considers Leach to be the Mad Scientist of football. I'd say that means he's a more than solid X's and O's guy.

so basically everything Brewster wasn't

He would create instant and enormous media interest (like Holtz) and would get fans interested enough to fill the stadium each week to see what tricks he'd be up to. The Gophers would have a unique football identity, would win 8 or 9 games a year, and would see some nice bowls available. Recruiting would respond favorably, too. BUT, his personality might just be too flaky for the PC crowd and he might step on the wrong toes, etc. Also, was the Adam Craig event one of a kind, whose fault was it and what really happened? Maturi and Bruininks would be very sensitive to that issue. I still like Harbaugh, Bellotti and Petersen ahead of Leach, but would be very happy with him on board.

I'm sure plenty of Gopherhole posters would be ok with sending their son to play for Leach (if he coached Minnesota), but why would anyone else want to? Every recruit Minnesota ever went for would be hearing about Leach's history, and whether it's fair or not doesn't even matter. It would be effective.

The other point is that there's a proven formula for winning in the region. If you ask if there's a reason why other styles CAN'T win in the Big 10, I suppose not. However, when I install an appliance I read the manual rather than just fiddling around and doing my own thing, even though there's no reason that CAN'T work too.

You realize that similar things to this were said about the Big 12 (Big 8) back in the day as well? The Big 10 wasn't the only "smashmouth" conference in college football. Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas were known for running the ball a bit in the past.

Passing the ball has worked in the Big 10. It has worked for NWestern, it worked well for Purdue (Brees and Orton), and even the Illinois teams with Kurt Kittner.

How much proof do you need?

He won every year at Texas Tech...how much more proof would you possibly need?
His teams lead the country in academics.
The James incident is arguable at face value...and it is one instance in 10 years or whatever.
Every single coach we might hire has some incident in their background that could be exploited to similar alarm. It just wouldn't have the legs because it likely didn't happen to an ESPN guy's kid and it wasn't the excuse for saving millions of dollars in firing the guy for cause. It just wouldn't be an issue going forward.

He is not a stupid man. Nobody has more incentive to prove his ability and character to everybody interested in football than Mike Leach.

He'd be the best coach we would have ever hired from a won loss perspective. And he did it in the Big 12. Maturi is Maturi but how can some of you think we could hire a more proven guy than Mike Leach?

Top Bottom