LB Jaqwondis Burns enters the transfer portal

Im not getting used to this supposedly "normal" attrition!!!

Sad - not sure we will ever see college football again like you and I remember. Unless the NCAA retracts this piece of s… called the portal, we/I will never really enjoy college athletics again. Sorry…

Sad - not sure we will ever see college football again like you and I remember. Unless the NCAA retracts this piece of s… called the portal, we will never really enjoy college athletics again. Sorry…

Which will guarantee the end of college football. The players will take it to court and assuredly win, a judge will then dismantle all of the rules.

Damn. This sucks. I was hoping he would stay, but I wish a few others did too. This is getting out of control. Very hard to build consistency and a "developemental" program. I guess its possible to improve the players that leave with better players in theory. But its hard to be a fan of an incoming freshman thinking he'll be around for awhile and represent the U well, not knowing if a particular game will be his last.

Sad - not sure we will ever see college football again like you and I remember. Unless the NCAA retracts this piece of s… called the portal, we/I will never really enjoy college athletics again. Sorry…
The reason I love college sports is the influx of new talent each year with normal attrition. Unfortunatley outside factors have taken it over. I will continue to make college sports my game of choice. I'm guessing by the passion of your posts so will you.

Damn. This sucks. I was hoping he would stay, but I wish a few others did too. This is getting out of control. Very hard to build consistency and a "developemental" program. I guess its possible to improve the players that leave with better players in theory. But its hard to be a fan of an incoming freshman thinking he'll be around for awhile and represent the U well, not knowing if a particular game will be his last.
I may be in the minority but I kind of like the chaos of the transfer portal. Sure it sucks to see a guy like Ky Thomas leave but on the flip side of that I don't get hung up on guys like Burns leaving because I don't get attached to players until after they prove they can actually play at the college level. Recruiting is fun to follow but it is silly to get wrapped up in any recruit until you see if they can cut it at the college level. Because there are tons of high rated guys that can't and low rated guys that can.

And it is exciting to see who transfers in and may have a chance to make an immediate impact for the team.

I can see where the portal is tough for people that get invested in the future potential of incoming players.

And for any complaining that it is no longer about the student athlete and is becoming big business, college football became big business long before the transfer portal was a thing.

Had high hopes for him due to him coming from IMG and having good offers. However, he only played three games this year. I think recruiting rankings and competing offers are fun to get excited about, but after 2-3 years in the program, it probably makes sense to trust our coaching staff that they are playing the guys they feel give us the best chance to win (an argument otherwise is silly, IMO).

I'll make a few assumptions about this situation. Burns knows MSM is coming back and will be on the field - but you don't transfer because of one super senior ahead of you. Burns knows that Oliver is recovered from his injury and is shaping into a star with multiple years left. Burns knows that Willis was getting legit playing time at the last half of the year. Burns knows that Lindenberg played ahead of him in 2020. Burns knows that Devon Williams had a good redshirt year. The kid has an idea of where he stands in relation to these players (not to mention Finnessy and Aune). I certainly wouldn't feel I had a guaranteed spot in the Top 4 LBs if I were him.

All that said, I'm not going to get upset about highly-regarded players who weren't seeing the field leaving as I'd rather trust the coaches know what they are seeing in practice and the offseason. Also, I think PJ has done well in the portal, so it's hard to gripe too much about an outgoing player when we don't yet know who we might get coming to us.

This new portal reality makes college FB a year-round sport to pay attention to.
There will be exits from the program but Fleck has proven that he can transfer in some ready-to-go talent that has helped the Gophers in the last few seasons.

I hope for the best for Burns wherever he lands.
But looking at the LBs in his recruiting class, with Tank Brown and Burns leaving it seems like MN missed the mark that year at that position.

Win some, lose some. I still think the transfer portal is a net benefit for the Gophers. We’re adding guys from elite programs and established all-conference players too.

I think the free Covid year is adding to the velocity of transfers and also making guys feel blocked. This is a predictable outcome many foresaw when they announced the free year…what happens in the ensuing logjam? If Tanner and Mo were not eligible for example, I bet Ky and Clark and Annexstad stay.

This new portal reality makes college FB a year-round sport to pay attention to.
There will be exits from the program but Fleck has proven that he can transfer in some ready-to-go talent that has helped the Gophers in the last few seasons.

I hope for the best for Burns wherever he lands.
But looking at the LBs in his recruiting class, with Tank Brown and Burns leaving it seems like MN missed the mark that year at that position.
Perhaps. Still have Finnessy and Lindenberg. Which kind of reinforces my idea that local recruits are far less likely to transfer.

Get over yourself.

It's the king of the toos!

It's too busy, too fast, too convoluted for us old fuddy-duddies!

We need that extra boost like in the movie, "Cocoon".

1641426037338.png

Last edited:

I enjoyed our defensive line this year which was significantly boosted by transfers. Maybe the best Gopher DL of my lifetime.

Dylan Wright was our most explosive WR when not randomly disappearing.

Jack Gibbens was a rock for the U at linebacker.

Wait until you see Dr. Quinn Carroll out there in 2024!

Minnesota would have been a little weaker this year without portal.

Had high hopes for him due to him coming from IMG and having good offers. However, he only played three games this year. I think recruiting rankings and competing offers are fun to get excited about, but after 2-3 years in the program, it probably makes sense to trust our coaching staff that they are playing the guys they feel give us the best chance to win (an argument otherwise is silly, IMO).

I'll make a few assumptions about this situation. Burns knows MSM is coming back and will be on the field - but you don't transfer because of one super senior ahead of you. Burns knows that Oliver is recovered from his injury and is shaping into a star with multiple years left. Burns knows that Willis was getting legit playing time at the last half of the year. Burns knows that Lindenberg played ahead of him in 2020. Burns knows that Devon Williams had a good redshirt year. The kid has an idea of where he stands in relation to these players (not to mention Finnessy and Aune). I certainly wouldn't feel I had a guaranteed spot in the Top 4 LBs if I were him.

All that said, I'm not going to get upset about highly-regarded players who weren't seeing the field leaving as I'd rather trust the coaches know what they are seeing in practice and the offseason. Also, I think PJ has done well in the portal, so it's hard to gripe too much about an outgoing player when we don't yet know who we might get coming to us.
There has to be competition ahead of him. It is both a good thing and a bad thing. Players have to be re-recruited every year. Many have aspirations of being a starter.

Losing players like Ky Thomas and Jacquondis Burns will happen. We have situations at QB where both Jacob Clark and Zack Annexstad are in their fourth and fifth year. The sun is setting on their career.

Curtis Dunlop was beaten badly against BGSU is my take. Good luck to him. I think that he should work hard like Sam Schlueter after criticisms poured in. IMHO, he took it too personally instead of using constructive criticisms to his advantage as Schlueter did. The truth will set him free.

Hopefully, Curtis Dunlop lands with Texas. So what is holding it back?

The BGSU film won't be pretty. Quitting on his team after four games into the season will be a knock against him.

Last edited:

I enjoyed our defensive line this year which was significantly boosted by transfers. Maybe the best Gopher DL of my lifetime.

Dylan Wright was our most explosive WR when not randomly disappearing.

Jack Gibbens was a rock for the U at linebacker.

Wait until you see Dr. Quinn Carroll out there in 2024!

Minnesota would have been a little weaker this year without portal.

Right. Seems like the portal is going to be a "win some/lose some" type thing. So far.....I'd say that the Gophers are still quite a bit ahead.

Right. Seems like the portal is going to be a "win some/lose some" type thing. So far.....I'd say that the Gophers are still quite a bit ahead.
It is a giant musical chair. Some will be left with no seats when the music stops.

Top Bottom