Lawrence Journal World: Mangino hired by Minnesota as consultant

We should bring in Majerus to offer advice to Tubby. That'd be a whole lot of consultant. Him and Mangino could sumo at halftime.

Well for one thing I thought Weber played much better last week. Don't know if Mangino had anything to do with it, but Weber looked at least as good as Barkley (which probably ain't saying much.)

Mangino is a no-lose hire. He is one of the better offensive minds in the coaching profession, though he does have some serious personality flaws.

Iceland12 -- we had a 25 sec. blurb on Mangino on Tues. night at 6:50... odd thing = so did Mike Max at 6:20 during his news and notes... we did not say it was a "paid" consultant gig... but clearly with Mangino watching from the sideline as opposed to Brew's suite, he was there to critique, and offer feedback... the "U" can deny all they want... but all I know is Mangino watched the game and provided feedback to Brew... that to me is consulting.

So you admit that you didn't know if it was a consulting gig or not! And now you're essentially calling Brewster and Maturi liars. It seems to me you jumped the gun big time with this one.

Brew and Maturi both said he was there as a friend, which happens all the time in sports. When a coach isn't working, he will often visit other programs to keep up with what's going on (Kevin Cosgrove did this)

FYI, watching a game from the sidelines, and then chatting about it with the coach after the game, is not consulting. A true consultant will come in, spend days getting familiar with the situation, and then more time developing a report, and maybe a remedy. Unless someone sees Mangino on campus this week, you can be nearly certain he wasn't there last Saturday as a consultant.

Arguing semantics over the definition of "consultant" ... and not saying anything in this particular case, but if you think in all areas of sports that coaches/management/players tell the truth 100% of the time... I would like to sell you some oceanfront property in International Falls.

I think it's a bad sign if the U hired a consultant in the middle of season. If Mangino is merely a buddy of Brews and he isn't on the staff but Brew might throw some things at him and get his opinion, that isn't really a consulting gig. That goes on all through coaching circles (friends helping friends) and all other professions. It is more than mere semantics, a consultant has clients and is a "professional". Both of those things should imply to you that by definition they are getting paid.

It is an entirely different scenario.

Marcus Fuller blog:

Maturi says Mangino was not hired by Gophers
By Marcus Fuller on September 22, 2010 11:01 PM

Gophers athletics director Joel Maturi said Wednesday that former Kansas coach Mark Mangino was not hired to be a consultant to football coach Tim Brewster.

Maturi said the KSTP report Wednesday that Mangino had been hired by Brewster was "frustrating", because it was false. But Mangino was on the sideline for Minnesota's 32-21 loss Saturday against Southern California.

"No, he's not," Maturi told the Pioneer Press on Wednesday about Mangino being hired by the Gophers. "He just came in as a friend to Coach Brewster."

Mangino, who defeated Minnesota and Brewster in the Insight Bowl 42-21 in 2008, was forced out as the Jayhawks' coach last year after he was investigated for his conduct toward players in his program.

Mangino and his wife, Mary Jane, moved to Naples, Fla., over the spring where they purchased a condo in the same neighborhood as Brewster and his wife, Cathy.

-- Brewster said junior receiver Troy Stoudermire was suspended indefinitely for unspecified reasons that were detrimental to the team.

Now the Gophers are missing two experienced receivers for Saturday's game against Northern Illinois. Junior Brandon Green, who didn't play against Southern Cal last week, is sidelined with a knee injury. Green was the team's active leader in receptions with 42 in his career, but he doesn't have a catch this season.

Stoudermire will be harder to replace as a dynamic threat on kickoffs and at receiver. Sophomore Bryant Allen, who is back from a broken ankle, has the talent to make up for the loss. But Allen has only played in one game this season with one catch for five yards against the Trojans.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2010/09/maturi-says-mangino-was-not-hi.html

Go Gophers!!

Arguing semantics over the definition of "consultant" ... and not saying anything in this particular case, but if you think in all areas of sports that coaches/management/players tell the truth 100% of the time... I would like to sell you some oceanfront property in International Falls.

It could very well turn out to be true, but I would hope you would have some verification before you reported it as fact AND then inferred they are lying. I also doubt Maturi is going to lie about it. If anything he seems honest to a fault.

reading maturi's quote in marcus blog basically shows that doogie and channel 5 made this entire thing up, never verified their story and other reporters ran with it as fact.

good work doogs!

I think this is a good move. It shows to me Brewster knows / realizes his X's and O's are not getting it done and he brought a guy in to help him out and offer another perspective. I see no down-side to this move.

This.

This is bad news. CEO's love consultants at first cause they think they've found "the answer" and cause it was the CEO's decision to hire him or her. But the people who are next in command (in this case the coordinators and assistant coaches) usually hate consultants. Consultants end up creating more problems and headaches (often worthless or detrimental changes in fact) for the next-in-command folks and the "next-in-command" folks end up feeling undermined, undervalued and resentment. This is another bad sign for the team, not to mention that Mangino in the past has exercised terrible judgment in how he spoke to certain african american players and handled other disciplinary matters. I have just lost some respect for Tim Brewster. But it shouldn't surprise me, cause I will never forget how poorly I thought Brewster treated a fine young man in Amir Pinnix simply because he fumbled the ball. I love the Gophers, but this regime is making me sick to my stomach.

Ok, first off.. We all should care less what our coordinators think about Mangino's not-so-apparent hiring. Seriously. Horton is in his first year at the 'U'. Cosgrove is in his 2nd year? 3rd? And Coz's defense just recently allowed USD's offense to effectively SHRED it. He should be thanking his lucky stars that he still has a job. There's a reason they are called CONSULTANTS. They don't make the final say. Just give their input. Or consult.

This is, bottom line, not the 'sky is falling' scenario you are trying to make it out to be. Win-win. Even if he was hired by the 'U' (which they deny).

Iceland12 -- we had a 25 sec. blurb on Mangino on Tues. night at 6:50... odd thing = so did Mike Max at 6:20 during his news and notes... we did not say it was a "paid" consultant gig... but clearly with Mangino watching from the sideline as opposed to Brew's suite, he was there to critique, and offer feedback... the "U" can deny all they want... but all I know is Mangino watched the game and provided feedback to Brew... that to me is consulting.

I was talking about the websites, but if you're going to "hang your hat" on his being on the field and talking to Brewster as being "consulting" then that might be the lamest explanation ever for a reporting screw-up.

You can "deny it all you want" but you f-ed-up on this. It's not a big time f-up because nobody outside of the Gopher Boards and Lawrence, KS cares.

It certainly proves two things, you still have problem admitting mistakes; semantics?, talking to a Coach on they sidelines isn't consulting no matter how fervently you want it to be. The other? You and maybe your TV station, have crossed the line from reporting to advocating. Your not in a Columnist mode here. You and your station are now making-up news just to discredit Brewster to hasten his demise. Unless you just admit you made a mistake, something you refuse to do.

The only good that comes out of this is apparently no one in Minnesota saw either broadcast.

You use to have credibility, why throw it away pursuing the ouster of a Coach who's doing a good job of that himself?

It would seem to me that a consultant during a game is a nuisance. If they were going to be valuable they'd be up in the booth, and watching video endlessly and then meeting with Brewster and or the staff to give feedback.

Apparently there is not much thinking going on at the news stations.

I was talking about the websites, but if you're going to "hang your hat" on his being on the field and talking to Brewster as being "consulting" then that might be the lamest explanation ever for a reporting screw-up.

You can "deny it all you want" but you f-ed-up on this. It's not a big time f-up because nobody outside of the Gopher Boards and Lawrence, KS cares.

It certainly proves two things, you still have problem admitting mistakes; semantics?, talking to a Coach on they sidelines isn't consulting no matter how fervently you want it to be. The other? You and maybe your TV station, have crossed the line from reporting to advocating. Your not in a Columnist mode here. You and your station are now making-up news just to discredit Brewster to hasten his demise. Unless you just admit you made a mistake, something you refuse to do.

The only good that comes out of this is apparently no one in Minnesota saw either broadcast.

You use to have credibility, why throw it away pursuing the ouster of a Coach who's doing a good job of that himself?

Sorry Doogie. I agree with Iceland12. There is a large semantic difference between "offering advice," which Mangino appeared to be doing, and "consulting," that has a connotation of being paid to offer advice. Maybe these two are paired in Roget's, but in common parlance, there is a noticeable difference in usage of the terms.

How do I know this? My career has largely been in the area of consulting. I get paid when I consult. I give free advice over lunch. And sometimes my free advice is more valuable than my consulting.

I wouldn't call it an eff-up on your part. Just dig in and find out if Mangino got more than airfare and a $5,000 gift certificate to Murray's.

Here's what was in the story we're posting about:

KSTP Channel 5, an ABC affiliate in Minneapolis, is reporting that Mangino had been hired as a consultant to University of Minnesota football coach Tim Brewster.

Well, that certainly sounds like KSTP said he was hired and of course, no one in the media makes (or admits) mistakes.

That leaves one thought, only on KSTP does "hired"not mean "hired". :)

The next in command who don't like consultants are the personnel that know they would be discovered as the broken cog when a competent consultant comes in, looks around to find out what makes the place tick.

Anyone worth a damn will look at an outside consultant as a chance to collaborate and share ideas, and move the entire organization forward.

Stop the paranoia and embrace the opportunity.

I agree...at this point what's the worse that could happen? If having Mangino around to consult Brew makes him a better coach then by all means do it...

I agree...at this point what's the worse that could happen? If having Mangino around to consult Brew makes him a better coach then by all means do it...

what's the WORST that can happen (not "worse")? if you can't imagine things getting worse, then you don't have a very good imagination. but it looks like a moot point anyways. doogie made up all this *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# in the first place. the fat f*$k was there as Brewster's friend cause Brew offered to buy him dinner at Manny's. i heard Manny's ran out of food that night.

"get in my belly!"

Maybe this is really where stoudemire is??

what's the WORST that can happen (not "worse")? if you can't imagine things getting worse, then you don't have a very good imagination. but it looks like a moot point anyways. doogie made up all this *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# in the first place. the fat f*$k was there as Brewster's friend cause Brew offered to buy him dinner at Manny's. i heard Manny's ran out of food that night.

I mean...we lost to USD...there isn't an opponent on our schedule that would be a worser loss correct? At this point some expect Brew to go 2-10 or possibly 1-11 so if having a consultant leads to even 3 or 4 wins it's still better then what appears to be the current path IMO...

Wow...this thread has sunk to debating semantics and ripping Doogie. Who would have seen that coming?

We should bring in Majerus to offer advice to Tubby. That'd be a whole lot of consultant. Him and Mangino could sumo at halftime.

Yes, because Tubby really needs the help. Maybe they can re-hash the 1998 NCAA Championship game. :)

Majerus was in my top 3 for the job and he would have been a good fit, but I'll take Tubby.

Regarding Mangino, I don't see him as a viable candidate to replace Brew, so I don't really know what to think of this. I can't really see a scenerio where it's good for Brew. I know the U is denying this, but he clearly is consulting the only questions is whether it's in an official capacity or not. Those of you jumping all over KSTP need to chill. If Brew is fired, it's hardly going to be because of the vast media conspiracy you've all convinced yourself exists. If Brad Childress suddenly had Denny Green on the sideline whispering in his ear, they'd be all over that x 10 and no one would be parsing whether or not he was being paid to determine what it meant for Childress's tenure.

He did pretty well at Kansas, but he does seem to have some anger management issues.

A nothing move that smells of desperation. As others have pointed out, have to believe this doesn't sit well with the coordinators, especially.

A nothing move that smells of desperation. As others have pointed out, have to believe this doesn't sit well with the coordinators, especially.

They are all updating their resumes and getting their interviewing suits cleaned and pressed anyway.

Yes, because Tubby really needs the help. Maybe they can re-hash the 1998 NCAA Championship game. :)

Majerus was in my top 3 for the job and he would have been a good fit, but I'll take Tubby.

Regarding Mangino, I don't see him as a viable candidate to replace Brew, so I don't really know what to think of this. I can't really see a scenerio where it's good for Brew. I know the U is denying this, but he clearly is consulting the only questions is whether it's in an official capacity or not. Those of you jumping all over KSTP need to chill. If Brew is fired, it's hardly going to be because of the vast media conspiracy you've all convinced yourself exists. If Brad Childress suddenly had Denny Green on the sideline whispering in his ear, they'd be all over that x 10 and no one would be parsing whether or not he was being paid to determine what it meant for Childress's tenure.

- No he's not "clearly consulting", unless you want to use the term in it's loosest possible definition to keep the story alive.
- A simple "we blew it" from Doogie would have ended this, but that seems beyond what is allowed.
- No one needs to "chill", no on second thought, those that ran with this may need to do a little chilling themselves.:)
- Your point about Denny Green/Childress is what makes this whole thing so damn ridiculous. Unless you're intimating that the Greens and Childress's are old friends Denny being on the sidelines would be something pretty amazing and newsworthy.
- Again, what's so damn hard about saying "we were wrong" or in the case of a lot of posters around here "we were duped because we wanted it to be true"? Nothing wrong with wanting Brewster gone, plenty wrong with not admitting you were suckered hook, line and sinker.
:clap:
The only conspiracy is a rush to print and a "see, we told you so" when/if Brewster is fired.

- No he's not "clearly consulting", unless you want to use the term in it's loosest possible definition to keep the story alive.
- A simple "we blew it" from Doogie would have ended this, but that seems beyond what is allowed.
- No one needs to "chill", no on second thought, those that ran with this may need to do a little chilling themselves.:)
- Your point about Denny Green/Childress is what makes this whole thing so damn ridiculous. Unless you're intimating that the Greens and Childress's are old friends Denny being on the sidelines would be something pretty amazing and newsworthy.
- Again, what's so damn hard about saying "we were wrong" or in the case of a lot of posters around here "we were duped because we wanted it to be true"? Nothing wrong with wanting Brewster gone, plenty wrong with not admitting you were suckered hook, line and sinker.
:clap:
The only conspiracy is a rush to print and a "see, we told you so" when/if Brewster is fired.

He was on the sidelines and I would assume at the very least gave Brew feedback after the game. For the purposes of this discussion that is consulting to most of us. You're using samantics to distract from the fact that having a recently fired but successful coach, 'friend' or not, with no affilliation to your program, on your gameday sideline is not a normal thing to do and raises a red flag. Perhaps Denny Green with Childress is not the greatest example, but it's not like Mangino is to Brew what Andy Ried is to Chilly either. Say it was Jon Gruden on the Vikings sideline then. It would still raise a red flag and be a lot more heavily reported on then this.

Is this a big huge deal either way? No. Is it one more bad sign for this staff? Yes. But I know it's easier to just blame 'the media' and convince yourself everything is fine.

He was on the sidelines and I would assume at the very least gave Brew feedback after the game. For the purposes of this discussion that is consulting to most of us. You're using samantics to distract from the fact that having a recently fired but successful coach, 'friend' or not, with no affilliation to your program, on your gameday sideline is not a normal thing to do and raises a red flag. Perhaps Denny Green with Childress is not the greatest example, but it's not like Mangino is to Brew what Andy Ried is to Chilly either. Say it was Jon Gruden on the Vikings sideline then. It would still raise a red flag and be a lot more heavily reported on then this.

Is this a big huge deal either way? No. Is it one more bad sign for this staff? Yes. But I know it's easier to just blame 'the media' and convince yourself everything is fine.

":blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:equals "yeah, there's nothing to this story but Brewster has to go"

That would have been a lot easier, and more accurate, then all the horsebleep printed trying to defend it.

Here's what was in the story we're posting about:

KSTP Channel 5, an ABC affiliate in Minneapolis, is reporting that Mangino had been hired as a consultant to University of Minnesota football coach Tim Brewster.

Well, that certainly sounds like KSTP said he was hired and of course, no one in the media makes (or admits) mistakes.

That leaves one thought, only on KSTP does "hired"not mean "hired". :)

Did you watch our 6:30p report on Tues.? If so, did we ever use the word "hired" ?? Did you also watch Ch. 4's news and notes report on Tues. at 6:20? Same thing was reported... same thing was reported by Zach Johnson at GI... so, possibly lost in translation with 3 reporters was what a "consultant" really entails... but never once did we report that he was "hired" and is being paid by the "U" ... will grant you that we could've written the story better to lay-out that Mangino very likely, although not for sure, was just at this one game, and offered his friend, Brew, some feedback. Remember, that Mangino watched from the sideline for a reason... otherwise, he could've been with Kathy in the Brewster suite.

my guess is that he's not consulting regarding our training table!

.... Remember, that Mangino watched from the sideline for a reason... otherwise, he could've been with Kathy in the Brewster suite.

I'm going to have to side with Doogie on this, here's why:

Is it practice for the University to allow friends of coaches on the sidelines? I hope not, because whether they realize it or not, they're covered under the U's liability policy when they allow guests on the sidelines. That's why when they have people go out on to the field (i.e. kick-off kid, or the Cub Foods challenge dude, etc), they are escorted by someone from the University. Once they're done with their job, their swifly escorted off the field. That is to avoid liability.

Mangino having full reign of the sidelines to walk around and interact with the coaching staff and players is either extremely irresponsible on the U's part, or there is more to this than just inviting a buddy to share the afternoon.

Take your pick.

Did you watch our 6:30p report on Tues.? If so, did we ever use the word "hired" ?? Did you also watch Ch. 4's news and notes report on Tues. at 6:20? Same thing was reported... same thing was reported by Zach Johnson at GI... so, possibly lost in translation with 3 reporters was what a "consultant" really entails... but never once did we report that he was "hired" and is being paid by the "U" ... will grant you that we could've written the story better to lay-out that Mangino very likely, although not for sure, was just at this one game, and offered his friend, Brew, some feedback. Remember, that Mangino watched from the sideline for a reason... otherwise, he could've been with Kathy in the Brewster suite.

Ummmm, I could be completely missing something here but WHO CARES what anybody calls him?

Mangino's helping out apparently. Period. Big deal. Paid, not paid, just a friend of Brewster's, whatever.

Please tell me the MSP media has something better to talk about than whether or not Mangino's a "consultant"?

Top Bottom