Lawrence Journal World: Mangino hired by Minnesota as consultant

Interesting

And the race begins!!!!

The pro-Brewster crowd will hail this is a good move, reinforce the coaching staff at no risk;

The anti-Brewster crowd will condemn it as an act of desperation, foolish, stupid....

Line up now and take your sides....

The pro-buffet crowd will hail this as a good move as well.

I think this is a good move. It shows to me Brewster knows / realizes his X's and O's are not getting it done and he brought a guy in to help him out and offer another perspective. I see no down-side to this move.

I agree. This is without question a big hire. Huge.

Good move. If the Gophers don't improve we will know the reasons why: Mason's crummy recruiting during his last few years and Weber's poor QB skills.

If Brewster can learn X's & O's from Mangino then by God he'll be Unstoppable...

You might want to rethink that move. Mangino's the type of customer who hurts the bottom line.

Exactly. That guy gets much more than his money's worth at an all-you-care-to-eat buffet. You'd be better off investing in a hot dog cart and setting up shop just outside the Bierman complex.

Not the first time this has happened. Many schools have former coaches as consultants from time to time. Sometimes their called volunteers or visitors or friends or just passing by or just hanging around. Nothing here negative.

The linked article indicates that the U is not confirming this as of this afternoon. Regardless, having another experienced coach on board is a good thing IMO.

Does anyone remember Gutie's last year when Bob Schnelker was a consultant? Not good.

Exactly. That guy gets much more than his money's worth at an all-you-care-to-eat buffet. You'd be better off investing in a hot dog cart and setting up shop just outside the Bierman complex.

I like the way you think. We should go into business together.

Mangino's background is more on offense than on defense. From Wikipedia, I learned that :

He was an assistant coach under Jim Tressel at Youngstown State for 2 years
He was an assistant coach at Kansas State from 91-98 (when they had pretty good teams)
He was the OL coach for Oklahoma in 99
He was the OC for Oklahoma in 00 and 01 (while they won the NC)
Then he was at Kansas from 02-09

I guess I can't see any negatives.

Bad News

This is bad news. CEO's love consultants at first cause they think they've found "the answer" and cause it was the CEO's decision to hire him or her. But the people who are next in command (in this case the coordinators and assistant coaches) usually hate consultants. Consultants end up creating more problems and headaches (often worthless or detrimental changes in fact) for the next-in-command folks and the "next-in-command" folks end up feeling undermined, undervalued and resentment. This is another bad sign for the team, not to mention that Mangino in the past has exercised terrible judgment in how he spoke to certain african american players and handled other disciplinary matters. I have just lost some respect for Tim Brewster. But it shouldn't surprise me, cause I will never forget how poorly I thought Brewster treated a fine young man in Amir Pinnix simply because he fumbled the ball. I love the Gophers, but this regime is making me sick to my stomach.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TdwuiyO7hOU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TdwuiyO7hOU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I wonder how Horton and Tim Davis feel about this... Of all the areas of need, this is where they choose to spend what supposedly few monies they have?

I don't mind Mangino; I'm just perplexed by this move.

Consultants are always good, but what signal are you sending Horton and the offensive staff? I think it shows both desperation in succeeding (as the clock is near 0-hour) and intelligence in seeking quick success (gaining assistance from a successful former coach). Should be interesting...

But the people who are next in command (in this case the coordinators and assistant coaches) usually hate consultants.

The next in command who don't like consultants are the personnel that know they would be discovered as the broken cog when a competent consultant comes in, looks around to find out what makes the place tick.

Anyone worth a damn will look at an outside consultant as a chance to collaborate and share ideas, and move the entire organization forward.

Stop the paranoia and embrace the opportunity.

The next in command who don't like consultants are the personnel that know they would be discovered as the broken cog when a competent consultant comes in, looks around to find out what makes the place tick.

Anyone worth a damn will look at an outside consultant as a chance to collaborate and share ideas, and move the entire organization forward.

Stop the paranoia and embrace the opportunity.

I agree with you, but in reality it doesn't work that way. The consultant comes in, changes crap, nothing improves, and you get further behind. Just watch. Nothing good will come of this.

This is bad news. CEO's love consultants at first cause they think they've found "the answer" and cause it was the CEO's decision to hire him or her. But the people who are next in command (in this case the coordinators and assistant coaches) usually hate consultants. Consultants end up creating more problems and headaches (often worthless or detrimental changes in fact) for the next-in-command folks and the "next-in-command" folks end up feeling undermined, undervalued and resentment. This is another bad sign for the team, not to mention that Mangino in the past has exercised terrible judgment in how he spoke to certain african american players and handled other disciplinary matters. I have just lost some respect for Tim Brewster. But it shouldn't surprise me, cause I will never forget how poorly I thought Brewster treated a fine young man in Amir Pinnix simply because he fumbled the ball. I love the Gophers, but this regime is making me sick to my stomach.

This was my line of thinking as well. My first thought was what the other assistants must be thinking. Are we not good enough? Where do we fit in the chain of command? Does Mangino override us? I don't see this turning out well, though to be honest I don't see how things could be much worse. Brewster is at the end of his rope and needs to catch lightening in a bottle. If this doesn't work I think the end result at the end of the year is going to be the same any way.

I've got my fingers crossed!!!!

GO GOPHERS!!!!!!!!

It shows how desperate he is. I hope it works however.

Tweet by Marcus:

"Gophers AD Maturi says report that ex-KU coach Mangino was hired to consult at MN is false. Maturi said Brew and Mangino are just friends."

Go Gophers!!

I think this is a good move. It shows to me Brewster knows / realizes his X's and O's are not getting it done and he brought a guy in to help him out and offer another perspective. I see no down-side to this move.

Regardless of what's being said in public, my guess is that this wasn't Brewster's idea. I would guess that Maturi (or even Bruininks) dictated this. This has interim coach written all over it, should Brewster get the heave ho midseason.

We went out to dinner at Mancini's steakhouse Monday night. I'm surprised I didn't see him there. Watching this guy makes me think of the Mr. Creosote sketch from Monty Python's meaning of Life

"I want the Pate, the Fois de Gras, and the truffles. Put them in a bucket. And don't skimp on the pate!"

You might want to rethink that move. Mangino's the type of customer who hurts the bottom line.

You're right! I got the bottom line mixed up with Mangino's waistline.

Love the John Pinette clip. Priceless!

Tweet by Marcus:

"Gophers AD Maturi says report that ex-KU coach Mangino was hired to consult at MN is false. Maturi said Brew and Mangino are just friends."

Go Gophers!!

This is just damed amazing.:eek: KSTP-AM has no story, neither does the TV website despite this report.. WCCO has no story. The Strib has no story and neither does the Pioneer Press. The story was already reported that the Brewster's and Manginos are close friends. Even the other board is reporting that he wasn't offered anything.

And yet, there has been dozens of posts about "what a bad idea this is", "an act of desperation" , "another Offensive Coordinator!" and on an on an on!

Gees, if Brewster is so damn terrible that he's got to be fired now why do people have to keep making-up stuff to make him look bad? The "Brewster Backers" are delusional? The Brewster haters are completely out of control! :clap::clap::clap:

Now just wait until the first Moron posts that "If we wouldn't have COMPLAINED about the hiring it would have went through"!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

God, I love the internet.

Iceland12 -- we had a 25 sec. blurb on Mangino on Tues. night at 6:50... odd thing = so did Mike Max at 6:20 during his news and notes... we did not say it was a "paid" consultant gig... but clearly with Mangino watching from the sideline as opposed to Brew's suite, he was there to critique, and offer feedback... the "U" can deny all they want... but all I know is Mangino watched the game and provided feedback to Brew... that to me is consulting.

Who's to say the other coaches aren't on board with it as well? If I'm not mistaken, isn't this Horton's first time as an OC? If that's the case, maybe he is welcoming some additional input. But it sure is fun to speculate that the sky is falling... Some of you guys are unreal.

Top Bottom