Last 25 years

What the OP illustrates to me is how difficult it is to expect fans to flock to Gopher football without a Rose Bowl trip ala Wisconsin/Northwestern/Purdue. Those of us who are under 35 have seen the Gophers have a winning record against just one team in our own conference...UNREAL. I have a feeling that those numbers don't get much better if you go back another 10 years or so.

I was wasting time on YouTube the other night and it's crazy how many "great comebacks" or "miracle finishes" against the Gophers (especially at the Dome) have been posted on their by fans of other teams. I watched the ending of a 1990 game against Utah where the Gophers were lining up for a chip shot field goal to win a game, only to have it blocked and returned for a game winning TD with no time remaining. Then there was a link to the 2000 game against Northwestern where the Gophers gave up something like 6 4th down conversions in 6 tries (including a 4th and 20) and finally lost on a hail mary (believe they had a 21 point lead in this game). Then the Purdue finish where they allowed two start 30 yard passes followed by the controversial fg at the horn. Then of course there's the Michigan game from '04, the Wisconsin game, etc, etc. The only win I can remember that even comes close to these types of losses was the win at PSU in '99. Even then, Penn State never had a "safe" lead and it was really only one fortunate catch that allowed the Gophers to set up Nystrom's winning FG.

It would be nice to experience a decade plus of fortune that is the exact opposite of what we've experienced recently.

You also forgot the game that got Mase fired - Texas Tech's 31 point comeback over the last 20 minutes of the Insight Bowl.

Fait accompli. Actually, we are much worst the last quarter century. Let's hope that President Kaler meant what he said about setting the bar high. We settled for mediocrity and complacency for too long.

Bruininks used the same rhetoric about setting the bar high when Mason was jettisoned. Then came Brewster and retaining small thinkers such as Maturi. I believe that we would still be at the damn dome if it wasn't for Coach Mason who led the initial charge, not Maturi or Bruininks. Tubby is still lacking the practice facility needed to compete in the BIG and Coach Anderson finally is getting a new stadium after years of waiting.

From what I have read and heard, I am of the opinion that Mr. Kaler gets it and seems to understand the process to actually achieve high goals and the benefits that the UM will realize once we get there. The poor record that 1gophergnu points out validates the lack of support and resolve from the Presidents office and Regents during that time which led to medicrity and complacency. Its not all on the coaches.

Progress will be difficult even if Mr. Kaler has the nads to get it done. But certainly not impossible. Coach Kill has the resume and track record to back up his resolve. But he needs the full support of the suits.

Progress will be difficult even if Mr. Kaler has the nads to get it done. But certainly not impossible. Coach Kill has the resume and track record to back up his resolve. But he needs the full support of the suits.
I think he wants to get it done, and not just with athletics. Someone was tweeting on his official Twitter account during his State of the University speech and one of the tweets was: "@PrezKaler #UMN is too risk averse & too regulatory, more mired in saying “no” than in finding ways to say “yes.” This will change." None of that means he will be successful of course. As Kill says, "I hear what you say, I'll trust what you do."

Top Bottom