Last 25 years

1gophergnu

Reaction score
This is our record against fellow Big Ten teams for the last 25 years.

Illinois 10 wins - 8 losses - 1 tie last win 2011
Indiana 7 wins - 11 losses - last win 2008
Iowa 9 wins - 16 losses last win 2011
Michigan 1 win - 20 losses last win 2005
Michigan St 6 wins - 11 losses last win 2009
Nebraska 0 wins - 3 losses 2 of the games were non conference
Northwestern 9 wins - 9 losses - 1 tie last win 2009
Ohio State 1 win - 19 losses last win 2000
Penn State 4 wins - 8 losses last win 2004
Purdue 10 wins - 13 losses last win 2009
Wisconsin 7 wins - 18 losses last win 2003

We have a winning record against only 1 team - Illinois and tied with Northwestern.
I sure hope this can be improved on soon.

This is our record against fellow Big Ten teams for the last 25 years.

Illinois 10 wins - 8 losses - 1 tie last win 2011
Indiana 7 wins - 11 losses - last win 2008
Iowa 9 wins - 16 losses last win 2011
Michigan 1 win - 20 losses last win 2005
Michigan St 6 wins - 11 losses last win 2009
Nebraska 0 wins - 3 losses 2 of the games were non conference
Northwestern 9 wins - 9 losses - 1 tie last win 2009
Ohio State 1 win - 19 losses last win 2000
Penn State 4 wins - 8 losses last win 2004
Purdue 10 wins - 13 losses last win 2009
Wisconsin 7 wins - 18 losses last win 2003

We have a winning record against only 1 team - Illinois and tied with Northwestern.
I sure hope this can be improved on soon.

And the administration at the University of Minnesota answers your question with this quote from badger (stinking) joel macturi...the man that prexy k feels he NEEDS to keep around to show the new AD the ropes, the lay of the land and to show how to fund-raise. (This is from the March 4th piece in the MINNESOTA DAILY:)

“I think you need to know who you are,” Maturi said. “And we at Minnesota are always going to be mid-Big Ten level, because that’s where our revenues are.” And the results from Big Ten Football prove that over the past quarter of a century...and...even longer, I fear that: "...we at Minnesota..." have not even been mid-Big Ten level. Football went down-hill under macturi's direction...his extensions...and buy outs... I just hope that Coach Kill can at least return this program AND maybe even improve on it from the Mason levels of Big Ten wins. (At the Mason point in time (1997 to 2006), the Gophers were much closer to mid-Big Ten level.) Since then, prexy b and macturi, along with brewster drove Gopher Football to the bottom of the Big Ten level. Good luck to Coach Kill. At least he won't have to work for badger (stinking) joel macturi any longer after June, even though prexy k will keep macturi on the payroll...

; 0 (

b(s)jm was just too small for the Big Ten every stinking day he was in charge of the athletics department at the U of M. VERY pathetic, would you not agree?

; 0 (

In an effort to take this thread from "Pointless" to "Utterly Useless," I am hoping some other posters will bring up 40 times, recruiting stars, the move to the dome, Brewster's recruiting, Glen Mason, Tubby Smith, Adam Weber, and Patrick Reusse.

This thread has the potential to encapsulate all of the crap this board has to offer. Make it happen, folks!

Thanks 1gophergnu. I wasn't aware of how these numbers looked. The one that annoys/sorta surprises me is Indiana (obviously the rival records annoy me but those aren't news to me either). Ugh.

To Be Named Later's response is why I very rarely post on this site. Sorry you found this pointless and utterly useless.

To Be Named Later's response is why I very rarely post on this site. Sorry you found this pointless and utterly useless.

He has less posts than you, so I wouldn't worry too much about what he says.

That quote is why maturi is without a doubt the most clueless AD in college sports. Who wants to buy tickets to a team that thinks the best they can do is mediocrity? He can't even fake optimism.
KSU does not even accept that and none of the things they have to offer match what any BigTen land grant university can offer. Neither do some of our coaches who work for the guy. Does anyone think Bill Snyder would work for a loser like maturi, not a chance. We are lucky Kill took the job, and to be honest we are probably really lucky maturi is leaving if we want to keep him because maturi's lack of commitment would have driven Kill nuts eventually.
maturi should have had a bureaucratic job in a large non-profit somewhere running something incredibly unimportant that just needs an honest nice guy in charge, because that is what he is.

And the administration at the University of Minnesota answers your question with this quote from badger (stinking) joel macturi...the man that prexy k feels he NEEDS to keep around to show the new AD the ropes, the lay of the land and to show how to fund-raise. (This is from the March 4th piece in the MINNESOTA DAILY:)

“I think you need to know who you are,” Maturi said. “And we at Minnesota are always going to be mid-Big Ten level, because that’s where our revenues are.” And the results from Big Ten Football prove that over the past quarter of a century...and...even longer, I fear that: "...we at Minnesota..." have not even been mid-Big Ten level. Football went down-hill under macturi's direction...his extensions...and buy outs... I just hope that Coach Kill can at least return this program AND maybe even improve on it from the Mason levels of Big Ten wins. (At the Mason point in time (1997 to 2006), the Gophers were much closer to mid-Big Ten level.) Since then, prexy b and macturi, along with brewster drove Gopher Football to the bottom of the Big Ten level. Good luck to Coach Kill. At least he won't have to work for badger (stinking) joel macturi any longer after June, even though prexy k will keep macturi on the payroll...

; 0 (

b(s)jm was just too small for the Big Ten every stinking day he was in charge of the athletics department at the U of M. VERY pathetic, would you not agree?

; 0 (

I think a lot of your posts make sense, but could you please learn to write like a normal human. I try to get through every single one of your posts but I just can't get myself to do it because of the randomness of the writing. I really do think you have cognitive thoughts but please, please type like a English speaking human being.

I think a lot of your posts make sense, but could you please learn to write like a normal human. I try to get through every single one of your posts but I just can't get myself to do it because of the randomness of the writing. I really do think you have cognitive thoughts but please, please type like a English speaking human being.

You might be right on the money with your observation. I mostly post to make a point and to have fun.

I suppose that some day I might conform to better fit your criteria for posting. I'll certainly consider it at some point in time. However, since you kind of catch the meaning of what I am saying, I think that I would like to just "go with the flow" and stream my conscious in a loose and less conforming way than the average run of the mill post on this site may be presented. Who knows, someday I may spend the entire day conforming to the dictates of some nameless, faceless individuals who may present themselves in ways I find less than appealing.

But, I appreciate your thoughts on my randomness and lack of conformity that in your opinion renders my contributions less than human.

You know what gophervet? On second thought, I think I will just do what I do and will hope that you continue to do what you do. That should work out very well for both of us.

You say you are a vet? I'm a vet myself (USN March, 1968-December, 1971). I also claim the distinction of being a vet of Gopher home games and road games. My first Gopher home game was in 1959. My first Gopher road game was a trip to iowa city in 1967.

Have an excellent day gophervet! Thanks for sharing your observations. As always...

imthewalrus...you are gophervet

Have a good day!

You might be right on the money with your observation. I mostly post to make a point and to have fun.

I suppose that some day I might conform to better fit your criteria for posting. I'll certainly consider it at some point in time. However, since you kind of catch the meaning of what I am saying, I think that I would like to just "go with the flow" and stream my conscious in a loose and less conforming way than the average run of the mill post on this site may be presented. Who knows, someday I may spend the entire day conforming to the dictates of some nameless, faceless individuals who may present themselves in ways I find less than appealing.

But, I appreciate your thoughts on my randomness and lack of conformity that in your opinion renders my contributions less than human.

You know what gophervet? On second thought, I think I will just do what I do and will hope that you continue to do what you do. That should work out very well for both of us.

You say you are a vet? I'm a vet myself (USN March, 1968-December, 1971). I also claim the distinction of being a vet of Gopher home games and road games. My first Gopher home game was in 1959. My first Gopher road game was a trip to iowa city in 1967.

Have an excellent day gophervet! Thanks for sharing your observations. As always...

imthewalrus...you are gophervet

Have a good day!

I really hope you never change your writing style. I realize that your posts are sometimes difficult to read and you sometimes annoy me, but you're an original. Reading your posts kind of reminds of me like being hypnotized. Like while I am reading them, I don't really know where everything is going, but when it's done I know that I want more Big 10 wins, I dislike Joel Macturi, and you like Gopher football. So you're right, just going with the flow is the appropriate way to read a Wren-post.

I do hope you meant to say 'cogent' thoughts and not "cognitive thoughts". Made you sound plebeian.

I really hope you never change your writing style. I realize that your posts are sometimes difficult to read and you sometimes annoy me, but you're an original. Reading your posts kind of reminds of me like being hypnotized. Like while I am reading them, I don't really know where everything is going, but when it's done I know that I want more Big 10 wins, I dislike Joel Macturi, and you like Gopher football. So you're right, just going with the flow is the appropriate way to read a Wren-post.

+1 (with laughs)

imthewalrus;... (This is from the March 4th piece in the MINNESOTA DAILY:) “I think you need to know who you are said:
Fait accompli. Actually, we are much worst the last quarter century. Let's hope that President Kaler meant what he said about setting the bar high. We settled for mediocrity and complacency for too long.

How does the number of posts validate an opinion?

It doesn't. But he commented that he doesn't post here often because of posts like the one from To Be Named Later. But that person rarely posts here. He's not a common contributor. That's all I meant.

Getting back to the original post - which I thought was quite interesting.

A couple of thoughts - I was really surprised to see that the Gophs have as many wins against Wisc as they do against Indiana (of course, fewer gms vs. Indiana). I was also surprised to see that the Gophs have played fewer games against Mich St than against Indiana. It seems like we play Mich St almost every year - but the numbers say otherwise. The Gophs record against Northwestern is also a little better than I tought.

I think that we tend to remember the victories, and forget (or block out) the losses. That's human nature.

But, I remain guardedly optimistic about next season. Kill and his staff will have had a full season to recruit, and to get their system in place. He also seems upbeat about the progress being made in the off-season program.

The Gophs record against Northwestern is also a little better than I tought.
This one was less of a surprise to me, but only because the Lake the Posts blog highlighted the recent parity between the two teams before last seasons games. He noted a feature of the matchup that I found interesting...both fanbases tend to count this game as a win for their team (even though neither team has been good enough to assume wins) and yet in reality, it's basically a 50-50 split for their recent history.

Thank you to the OP who took the time to mine this fascinating albeit depressing data set.

Perusing this GopherHole forum sometimes reads like the diagnostic criteria for PTSD. We as a fanbase have been brutalized by this recent history of ineptness and devastated expectations. Indeed, the last 25 years of Gopher football have been dark, dark, dark days. Heck, we are 4 games under .500 against freakin' Indiana during that time! That's deplorable considering Randle El was only there for 4 years. *sigh*

It is a risky endeavor to look upon the future of Golden Gopher football with hope. Short ornery's assertion of "guarded optimism" is probably the best that can be expected from a perpetually traumatized fanbase such as ours.

Oh well, Go Gophers!

What we've had has been fairly consistent mediocrity, with some truly bad years. Of course, bad years are much easier to swallow if there are some really good years sprinkled in.

It's not as if the Gophers are Duke. Duke hasn't had a winning season since 1994.

Getting back to the original post - which I thought was quite interesting.

######################

I think that we tend to remember the victories, and forget (or block out) the losses. That's human nature.

But, I remain guardedly optimistic about next season. Kill and his staff will have had a full season to recruit, and to get their system in place. He also seems upbeat about the progress being made in the off-season program.

##################
I too thought that the original post was interesting. As always I am somewhat optimistic for the upcoming season. I like ornery's post, but I still have several losses that I will never be able to forget. That Friday night loss to Michigan and the bowl loss to Texas Tech will always torment my Gopher memories. I wish it was my nature to forget the losses, but some hurt too much to dismiss. There was also a game at Illinois in the early '90's where Tim Schade led a great comeback, but we managed to pull defeat from the jaws of victory (caused by poor play calling from Bob Debesse, IMHO). I felt ill until the following Wednesday, but that's my problem I guess. Will this be the year that the stars are aligned?? Go Gophers!!

##################
I too thought that the original post was interesting. As always I am somewhat optimistic for the upcoming season. I like ornery's post, but I still have several losses that I will never be able to forget. That Friday night loss to Michigan and the bowl loss to Texas Tech will always torment my Gopher memories. I wish it was my nature to forget the losses, but some hurt too much to dismiss. There was also a game at Illinois in the early '90's where Tim Schade led a great comeback, but we managed to pull defeat from the jaws of victory (caused by poor play calling from Bob Debesse, IMHO). I felt ill until the following Wednesday, but that's my problem I guess. Will this be the year that the stars are aligned?? Go Gophers!!

The losses to Michigan that bum the heck out of me were when they beat the "living hell" out of us by 56 to 7 scores or 49 to 3 scores...you know...the games we never showed up for. But, that's my problem I guess. I just HATE it when my team never even has a shot...never takes or holds the lead for even a minute...just plain is totally humiliated.

A competetive game...even if we "blow it" some how never bothers me as much as not even belonging on the field with another Big Ten Team. To me: that is as BAD as things could possibly EVER get. Yeah...I was at that Friday night Michigan game(2003). I was at the next Michigan game the next year in Ann Arbor(2004). That was kind of a heart breaking loss too. And I was back in Ann Arbor, the very next year...in 2005 and the Gophers BEAT Lloyd Carr and his squad and it was kind of a heartbreaking loss for Michigan.

Do you want to know something: for those three years, it felt to me like the Gophers were REALLY a Big Ten Football TEAM! We lost two hearbreakers to Michigan...once in Minneapolis and once in Ann Arbor. And then we broke their hearts...shut up 110,000 of the 113,000 in the Big House. And THAT is what it must feel like to really BE a competetive Big Ten Football Team. You get your heart broken...maybe even fairly often. BUT, every once in a while, you go out and break some other team's heart...some other fans' hearts...

Sure, it hurts quite often to be competetive with the teams in the top half of the conference...but...to me, it hurts a hell of a lot more to get kicked 49-7...

; 0 )

What the OP illustrates to me is how difficult it is to expect fans to flock to Gopher football without a Rose Bowl trip ala Wisconsin/Northwestern/Purdue. Those of us who are under 35 have seen the Gophers have a winning record against just one team in our own conference...UNREAL. I have a feeling that those numbers don't get much better if you go back another 10 years or so.

I was wasting time on YouTube the other night and it's crazy how many "great comebacks" or "miracle finishes" against the Gophers (especially at the Dome) have been posted on their by fans of other teams. I watched the ending of a 1990 game against Utah where the Gophers were lining up for a chip shot field goal to win a game, only to have it blocked and returned for a game winning TD with no time remaining. Then there was a link to the 2000 game against Northwestern where the Gophers gave up something like 6 4th down conversions in 6 tries (including a 4th and 20) and finally lost on a hail mary (believe they had a 21 point lead in this game). Then the Purdue finish where they allowed two start 30 yard passes followed by the controversial fg at the horn. Then of course there's the Michigan game from '04, the Wisconsin game, etc, etc. The only win I can remember that even comes close to these types of losses was the win at PSU in '99. Even then, Penn State never had a "safe" lead and it was really only one fortunate catch that allowed the Gophers to set up Nystrom's winning FG.

It would be nice to experience a decade plus of fortune that is the exact opposite of what we've experienced recently.

Top Bottom